Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: favorite parts of my favorite book.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default favorite parts of my favorite book.

These past few months I've changed my favorite Dark Tower book from The Gunslinger (which I still love) to The Wastelands. I'm listening to the book now and hearing it with all the voices that aren't mine, I'm finding that I'm enjoying it much more. The brooklyn accent that Frank Muller does is spot on and it cracks me up.

Anyhoo, they just pulled Jake through the door, as usual, I'm so impressed with King. The way he can tell a story from all points of view is talent and amazement to me. Jake, Roland, Eddie, Susannah, and The people on the street near the Mansion, they all play thier part and we get to hear all sides of the story.

Just a good time all around.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, its my favorite of them too. Especially the parts with Tick Tock Man.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jake opening all kinds of doors.
    Eddie walking the bridge, and at the crucial moment forgetting all about his acrophobia.
    Old people at River Crossing.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy pol is on a distinguished road pol's Avatar

Ole Ticky....and Richard Fannin. Gotta love em.

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jake getting his ass kicked by Gasher and Tick Tock. Know it's cruel, but hey, its entertaining.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Rolands mad dash with Oy to save him. After we lost Jake in the first book I was convinced that Roland would not be able to save him.

The interaction between him and Oy during those scenes is wonderful
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

When Oy almost fell down from the fragile bridge and the ka-tet has to work together and everyone tries their best to save someone's life the other's life.

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    When Oy almost fell down from the fragile bridge and the ka-tet has to work together and everyone tries their best to save someone's life the other's life.
    and - back to our talk in Did You Cry - please have a look at my post in this thread...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

When I first read this book, I ended up throwing it against the wall! I wasn't ready for the story to end in Blaine! And then the wait for DT IV!! I was upset with King for a long time because of the way this volume ended! Now, with the entire series having been published, I feel lots better. I love the way the ka-tet became closer in this volume. They became real to me.

John

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Egads, the wait between W&G and Wolves was INSANE! Talk about a cliff-hanger! That drove me nuts too. But, I was worth the wait, after all.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Egads, the wait between W&G and Wolves was INSANE!
    Not only the wait, but also wondering if there was actually going to be a conclusion, but yeah 'twas a bitch.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think my favorite parts are the first times we get to see Susannah and Eddie act like gunslingers, their first shootings.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

SAY YOUR LESSON, Susannah Dean, and be true.

The bear came at them in a rumbling lope; it was like watching a runaway factory machine over which someone had thrown a huge, moth-eating rug.

It looks like a hat! A little steel hat!

She saw it ... but it didn't look like a hat to her. It looked like a radar-dish — a much smaller version of the kind she had seen in MovieTone newsreel stories about how the DEW-line was keeping everyone safe from a Russian sneak attack. It was bigger than the pebbles she had shot off the boulder earlier, but the distance was greater. Sun and shadow ran across it in deceiving dapples.

I do not aim with my hand; she who aims with her hand has forgotten the face of her father.

I can't do it!

I do not shoot with my hand; she who shoots with her hand has forgotten the face of her father.

I'll miss! I know I'll miss!

I do not kill with my gun; she who kills with her gun —

"Shoot it!" Roland roared. "Susannah, shoot it!"

With the trigger as yet unpulled, she saw the bullet go home, guided from muzzle to target by nothing more or less than her heart's fierce desire that it should fly true. All fear fell away. What was left was a feeling of deep coldness and she had time to think: This is what he feels. My God — how does he stand it?

"I kill with my heart, motherfucker," she said, and the gunslinger's revolver roared in her hand.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, sarajean, that is precisely the scene I was thinking of when I wrote my last post.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember being so exhilarated during that scene. Being back with the katet after all these years. They all seemed healthy and happy, doing their lessons.

Then you find out Roland is going crazy...oh man, he had to give Eddie his guns!! It was heart wrenching.

Then you find out its about getting Jake back
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah, I was totally upset when Roland gave his guns to Eddie. That hurt.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it was pretty upsetting and still is when I reread it. I mean come on the man lost two fingers on his best hand and already had to give a gun to eddie in tdott. I was a bit distraught

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yeah DT3 is one of my favourites aswell, just the whole idea of Lud is really cool and the history you learn about the city and everything
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    yeah DT3 is one of my favourites aswell, just the whole idea of Lud is really cool and the history you learn about the city and everything
    Lud was my favorite place of the whole series. It had more style and atmosphere than any of the other locations.

Country
    Country Flag

I loved the voices Muller did for the Grays and Pubes. Gasher's voice and his hilarious song was fantastic. This will always remain my second favorite of the series!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

One of my favorite parts of this book is Susannah and Eddie traveling to Blaine after they separate from Roland and the things Susannah is perceiving about Lud and the description of the giant stone turtle and the golden gunslinger statue.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Oh and of course when Richard Fannin steps into the game..
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Allie is on a distinguished road Allie's Avatar

I love the bit when Jake comes through the door Eddie made, you can feel how urgent it is, and that house on Dutch Hill gives me the shudders.

Gunslinger Apprentice JasKo is on a distinguished road JasKo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is so far my favorite book aswell. But I've only just started on book 4. There are so many moments in the book tha I love, it's hard to pick some out.
    /You Suck!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed the tet's time in River Crossing. It was the first time the tet got to see Roland interact with people who knew what he was, and what that meant. The first time we see Roland through their eyes as "a kind of diplomat."

And Blaine. The entire Blaine experience was one I could re-read over and over. Waiting for DT-4 to come out, I spent a lot of time on that damned mono with Roland and his tet, but I loved the entire thing. I'd have freaked out when Blaine made the walls and floor transparent and laughed my ass off when he said Edith Bunker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast