Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 130 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 3234

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    News Update: Apparently, we can thank, Donald Glover from "Solo" for the lack of merchandise for "The Mandalorian". Rumor has it he requested it of series creator Jon Favreau. There was no actual reason why he requested that I could find, but Disney also confirmed it. Estimates are that Disney lost approximately $3M as a result of this suggestion. Firms are racing to release merchandise for the first quarter of 2020.

In other news, "The Child" does in fact have a name, but Disney ain't talking yet.

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019/...d-glover-idea/
    I read one report before Xmas that states Disney will have lost near 90 million due to lack of merchandise over the holidays... I tend to believe it. Baby Yoda is perhaps the most beloved Star Wars I have ever seen. One Facebook group I’m on was getting a 1000 members an hour yesterday they said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Unfortunately though, there are also literally tonnes of Star Wars toys and merch in remainder bins because Disney overestimated demand.

Having no merch for the Mandalorian seems like a big misstep, but I’m not sure I believe that $90 million estimate, either.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Hunchback Jack;1178403]Unfortunately though, there are also literally tonnes of Star Wars toys and merch in remainder bins because Disney overestimated demand.

Having no merch for the Mandalorian seems like a big misstep, but I’m not sure I believe that $90 million estimate, either.

HBJ[/

I don’t mean profit... but retail? I can see it. Either way, a large mistep on their part. Baby yoda is hugely popular.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=webstar1000;1178404]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Unfortunately though, there are also literally tonnes of Star Wars toys and merch in remainder bins because Disney overestimated demand.

HBJ[/

I don’t mean profit... but retail? I can see it. Either way, a large mistep on their part. Baby yoda is hugely popular.

TYPO: I meant to hit a 3 and not a 9!!! It’s $30 million. Sorry. I just noticed that! Lol

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I think it may have been a clever tactic designed to get rid of all the old ESB merch in the warehouses. If you typed "Mandalorian" in Amazon or Walmart you got crap loads of ESB/Boba Fett toys, some with "Mandalorian online descriptions, but they were ESB toys.

You actually could buy "Funko" products before Xmas, but most had delivery dates just after Xmas or "The Child" in May. Disney/Amazon/Walmart/Lego got to dump a lot of warehoused toys and really didn't "lose" much money in reality as SW fans will be on Mandalorian merch like a rabid dog on a doughnut when ever they release it. Especially, "The Child".

There was also a lot of Tee shirts & odds and ends for the child which I assume were black market and unlicensed. Mostly from disguised Chinese manufacturers.

FWIW, I have to date received the Funko statues for the hitman robot, Nick Nolte character, The Mandalorian and the Emperor (which though sold as "Mandalorian Merch" I assume is leftover ESB/SW merch). The Child is on pre-order for May '20.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I highly recommend everyone who enjoyed The Mandalorian but never watched the animated series to watch them, now that they're all collected on Disney+. It seems the canon storylines shown in those series will be a big part of season two of The Mandalorian, so you'll have plenty of time to catch up.
    Personally, I hope they don't do too much of this. I've never really been into animated shows, and watching 5 or 6 seasons of a show just to understand the context of a new one doesn't appeal.

(But then, I'm a grumpy old man).

HBJ
    Don't be a grumpy Gus, Peter. I plan on using Mae's viewing guide at some point. You should join me
    Everyone should! And Disney+ just announced that The Clone Wars final seventh season will premiere on February 17, so if you start now you should easily make it through all seven seasons using the chronological guide. Also, rumor has it there will be a new animated series launching later in 2020, which will be a sequel to Rebels (itself a sequel to The Clone Wars).

Country
    Country Flag

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/t...-republic-era/

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Honestly, it's not so much the animated nature of the shows that put me off, but the six+ seasons I'd need to watch to get the dozen or so snippets needed to get references and context. If it were just a season or two, I could do that. But more than that becomes enough of an investment in time that I'd prefer to watch something more up my alley - particularly since I don't watch much TV in the first place.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, it's not so much the animated nature of the shows that put me off, but the six+ seasons I'd need to watch to get the dozen or so snippets needed to get references and context. If it were just a season or two, I could do that. But more than that becomes enough of an investment in time that I'd prefer to watch something more up my alley - particularly since I don't watch much TV in the first place.

HBJ
    That's understandable, Peter as my backlog of shows to watch is very full. Very few shows are a must watch when they are initially released each week or available all at once. Mandalorian was an exception to that rule.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think everyone saw this coming. Especially since ROS left so many fans divided. Can't wait to see what's in store

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I would think that they've had this planned for some time. They knew they were moving on from the Skywalker saga and appaerently they are now going 400 years before the prequels. Which gives them the freedom to write whatever story they want.

Also "prime" Jedi Master Yoda.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    I think everyone saw this coming. Especially since ROS left so many fans divided. Can't wait to see what's in store
    Yeah, Baby!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I would think that they've had this planned for some time. They knew they were moving on from the Skywalker saga and appaerently they are now going 400 years before the prequels. Which gives them the freedom to write whatever story they want.

Also "prime" Jedi Master Yoda.
    There in lies the rub.... they will never ever break away from characters we know. One day we will see a movie with old Rey, Finn or Poe... you wait. I mean even Manadlorian couldn’t help themselves.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

So are we talking about another trilogy starting with this film or just a one off. I know I am really jumping here, but let's say they make 3 movies covering this section. Do people think that they will do more in the past, if there are more after this section, or will they jump back into the future with a story line that takes place AFTER ROJ. Either way, I love the Star Wars Universe and I hope these are really good.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    So are we talking about another trilogy starting with this film or just a one off. I know I am really jumping here, but let's say they make 3 movies covering this section. Do people think that they will do more in the past, if there are more after this section, or will they jump back into the future with a story line that takes place AFTER ROJ. Either way, I love the Star Wars Universe and I hope these are really good.
    Sounds to me that they will be making at least new trilogy back in this time period and potentially a lot more. I don't think they plan on returning to this time period ever again. 400 years is a lot of years to mess around with and has a ton of content potential.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Sounds to me that they will be making at least new trilogy back in this time period and potentially a lot more. I don't think they plan on returning to this time period ever again. 400 years is a lot of years to mess around with and has a ton of content potential.
    I can live with that. Getting to know new characters and following them would be fun.

Did I read somewhere that the three new movies won’t be a trilogy as such, but three separate stories set in the same time period? That would be an interesting approach.

My guess is that they will continue to release media in the time frame of the original trilogy (that is, episodes 4 to 6), because that appears to be the most popular time period. As far as the live action movies go, only the new trilogy has been in a different time frame. Rogue one, solo, and the Mandalorian have all been in the original trilogy time frame. Given the success of the Mandalorian, I think they won’t be able to resist going back to that well.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Did I read somewhere that the three new movies won’t be a trilogy as such, but three separate stories set in the same time period? That would be an interesting approach.

My guess is that they will continue to release media in the time frame of the original trilogy (that is, episodes 4 to 6), because that appears to be the most popular time period. As far as the live action movies go, only the new trilogy has been in a different time frame. Rogue one, solo, and the Mandalorian have all been in the original trilogy time frame. Given the success of the Mandalorian, I think they won’t be able to resist going back to that well.

HBJ
    Well the Mandolorian S2 will be set in the same time frame obviously as well as the upcoming Obi-Wan series.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Really? I thought the Obi-wan Kenobi series was going to be set right after episode three. Or maybe halfway between three and four?

It’s amazing to think the prequel trilogy is now 20 years old, by the way.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Really? I thought the Obi-wan Kenobi series was going to be set right after episode three. Or maybe halfway between three and four?

It’s amazing to think the prequel trilogy is now 20 years old, by the way.
    correct. They have stated they are looking to cast a young Luke Skywalker...

AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN... we will never get away from the characters we know in some form or another
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Ha. I’m not sure what to think about a young Luke Skywalker being in that series.

I suppose the rationale for Kenobi being on Tatooine is that he’s looking out for Luke, so I guess it does make some kind of sense. But I think they’re going to run a high risk of contradicting episode four if they get too creative. For example, my recollection is that in the original trilogy neither the emperor nor Vader know of Luke’s existence prior to episode five. Certainly Vader doesn’t - despite somehow knowing that Luke is his son by episode five.

I can’t recall the end of episode three; does the emperor know that Luke and Leia exist? Would he have reason to send spies out to search for them? That would seem like a route the Kenobi series could take, but I think that raises problems.

Also, I think it’s difficult to have a series where Kenobi is protecting Luke, without explaining who Luke is. That kind of spoils the whole original trilogy – particularly if you are watching the shows in order. Oh, never mind, that is spoiled in episode three already. :-)

I’m not really praising or damning the series, obviously, just thinking out loud.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Ha. I’m not sure what to think about a young Luke Skywalker being in that series.

I suppose the rationale for Kenobi being on Tatooine is that he’s looking out for Luke, so I guess it does make some kind of sense. But I think they’re going to run a high risk of contradicting episode four if they get too creative. For example, my recollection is that in the original trilogy neither the emperor nor Vader know of Luke’s existence prior to episode five. Certainly Vader doesn’t - despite somehow knowing that Luke is his son by episode five.

I can’t recall the end of episode three; does the emperor know that Luke and Leia exist? Would he have reason to send spies out to search for them? That would seem like a route the Kenobi series could take, but I think that raises problems.

Also, I think it’s difficult to have a series where Kenobi is protecting Luke, without explaining who Luke is. That kind of spoils the whole original trilogy – particularly if you are watching the shows in order. Oh, never mind, that is spoiled in episode three already. :-)

I’m not really praising or damning the series, obviously, just thinking out loud.

HBJ
    My guess is there will probably be minimal interaction between Obi Wan and Luke. So you're right in Vadar / The Emperor not knowing about Luke / Leia. Vadar figures out about Luke in the new "cannon" comics between 4 and 5. That said in addition to Vadar in cannon there are "Inquisitors" who are basically like "mini sith in training" who's sole purpose is to hunt down rouge Jedi who escaped order 66. My guess is that an inquisitor will be the main bad guy of the series. It could also be Darth Maul, though Star Wars Rebels resolved that story line, and that would've resolved much closer to Episode 4 than I think they are setting this series.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post

HBJ
    My guess is there will probably be minimal interaction between Obi Wan and Luke. So you're right in Vadar / The Emperor not knowing about Luke / Leia. Vadar figures out about Luke in the new "cannon" comics between 4 and 5. That said in addition to Vadar in cannon there are "Inquisitors" who are basically like "mini sith in training" who's sole purpose is to hunt down rouge Jedi who escaped order 66. My guess is that an inquisitor will be the main bad guy of the series. It could also be Darth Maul, though Star Wars Rebels resolved that story line, and that would've resolved much closer to Episode 4 than I think they are setting this series.
    I agree. MINIMAL interaction. But Darth Maul? He dies years before Luke was born... am I missing something? I think the story will be just this.. and you hit the nail. Obi trying to protect him from Vader and Vader's minions coming there to find him.. something along those lines. You could do a Vader scene actually... I wonder what they will do?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post

HBJ
    I agree. MINIMAL interaction. But Darth Maul? He dies years before Luke was born... am I missing something? I think the story will be just this.. and you hit the nail. Obi trying to protect him from Vader and Vader's minions coming there to find him.. something along those lines. You could do a Vader scene actually... I wonder what they will do?
    Maul is actually alive basically right up until maybe a couple years before Episode 4. The cartoon show Clone Wars made it so he survived and he has a lot of back story trying to survive as a "3rd" Sith during the events between episode 2 and 3. He spends a lot of the series trying to hunt down Obi Wan. Next in the timeline he pops up in Solo towards the end of the movie. He's the big bad behind the big bad. He talks to Qi'ra via hologram. After that he pops back up in Star Wars Rebels, which takes place a couple of years before Episode 4 (I think Leia is like 15 in it). In Rebels he has a couple episodes which lead to him finding the location of Obi Wan and Maul's actual death.

Edit: Until he popped up in Solo, I was sure they were just going to ignore Maul having survived episode 1 in the movies.

Edit 2: Unless Obi Wan goes off planet I don't think we'll get a Vadar scene.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 130 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 ... LastLast