Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 130 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 3234

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Mainly nitpicks in the initial few scenes:
    Spoiler:

- when the landspeeder with the droid pulled up, and it looked similar to Luke’s. There’s no reason a landspeeder designed for desert conditions would be used on an ice planet. I understand they did it because it looks “starwarsy”, but still, it pulled me out of the scene immediately.
    - freezing his bounties in carbonite. Please. Freezing Han in carbonite was a spur of the moment thing on Bespin - and it was Vader’s idea. It wasn’t something bounty hunters usually did. In fact, it was considered risky and dangerous - Lando wasn’t sure Han would even survive the process. So the idea a bounty hunter would later use carbon freezing is just silly - done purely for fan service without any in universe justification.

Like I said, nitpicks, but they pulled me out of the show immediately. Suspension of disbelief vanished. However, I will say that the show pulled me back in pretty quickly. Generally I think it was a very strong and promising start.

(The self destruct bit I found genuinely funny. The whole last half of the Ep was engaging, entertaining and fun.)

HBJ
    Check this out Peter

Spoiler:
    Interesting... BUT the freezing might be used more often now because this takes place a LONG time after Empire right? Maybe it had become more commonplace?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Spoiler:

It takes place after ROTJ, certainly. Not sure how long; it feels like about 5-ish years if stormtroopers in grimy armour are still walking around.

But my point is that a bounty hunter wouldn’t start using Carbon freezing to transport people. Not only would it risk killing the bounty, the equipment needed to do it would be heavy and bulky to lug around on a small starship. The process was originally used in gas mines to bulk-freeze goods for transport. Yes, Vader successfully used it to immobilize Han, but the idea that it would become the preferred way of transporting bounties is pretty far fetched.

Look, I know I’m nitpicking. It didn’t ruin the show for me, and it was probably a scene done for laughs anyway. But it did make me roll my eyes. Using a plot device out of context for its recognition value is a bit fan-fictiony for me.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It is five years later:

https://www.starwars.com/news/swcc-2...dalorian-panel
    the story takes place about five years after the events of Return of the Jedi

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

It takes place after ROTJ, certainly. Not sure how long; it feels like about 5-ish years if stormtroopers in grimy armour are still walking around.

But my point is that a bounty hunter wouldn’t start using Carbon freezing to transport people. Not only would it risk killing the bounty, the equipment needed to do it would be heavy and bulky to lug around on a small starship. The process was originally used in gas mines to bulk-freeze goods for transport. Yes, Vader successfully used it to immobilize Han, but the idea that it would become the preferred way of transporting bounties is pretty far fetched.

Look, I know I’m nitpicking. It didn’t ruin the show for me, and it was probably a scene done for laughs anyway. But it did make me roll my eyes. Using a plot device out of context for its recognition value is a bit fan-fictiony for me.
    You know, not really "far fetched" IMHO...........

Spoiler:
    The Tech was first introduced to us in ESB and required a "Chamber" at this time (I think). So, not crazy to think it would be refined to this status after 5-10 years, no? Plus, setting aside the advancement in the Tech for a moment, for bounty purposes it's generally "Dead or Alive" and that status could be incumbent on the entity issuing the bounty, no? I mean the hunter is delivering the person/alien technically alive, but in carbonite. IDK just "nit picking" right along with you!!! LOL

On the whole, this series looks pretty fucking awesome, though the platofrm offered very little as to when the series would continue and how exactly. I'm gonna search the net a bit for more info. I was a little disappointed in that I expected a series format more like, Amazon & Netflix do with all 8-10 episodes being available for binging. I was surprised that there wasn't more new, serialized content in the SW and other venue's. Don't get me wrong I'm sure there is much more in the wings and I bought the service more for the grandkids, but the new SW content was an anticipated huge bonus for me so I was a little disappointed.

Anyone know what the schedule is for new Mandalorian episodes? Perhaps more episodic content in other venues like maybe PoTC, or the like? You know, more Adult/Kid type stuff.?

Still pretty awesome to have all those films available in one place. Why r there only like 16 of the 22 Marvel "Phase" movies available? Lotta stuff to go thru yet!!! LOL

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's a weekly show, you can check the release schedule in a number of places, here for instance: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tim...canon_media#js

The other intriguing thing about that last link (if you hide all the media except films and television) is that Disney+ now makes it possible to watch all Star Wars canon filmed media in one place. If one wanted to, they could watch all the movies (I think Solo and The Last Jedi are not yet available but will be soon) and all the TV series in canonical chronological order. The only TV show not on Disney+ is Galaxy of Adventures, but it's not new content, they're just retelling of stories from the films. But The Clone Wars, Rebels, Forces of Destiny, and Resistance, are all available.

I think I may attempt that...

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Yes, I agree the show is very good indeed. A solid and promising start. Interesting world building on both a small and large scale. Interesting plot developments - particularly in the last third of the episode. And we are even starting to know the main character a little - even though he wears a mask, has no name, and is laconic, to say the least. Not bad for a single 40 minute episode.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    I'm gonna go with Kris and WB, Peter. The tech was on the ship so no longer requires a chamber. If it's now readily available on ships, bounty hunter ships nonetheless, I'd think it's a widely used practice among them.

The self destruct scene had me rolling

Spoiler:
    SOY was so cute!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Spoiler:
    I'm gonna go with Kris and WB, Peter. The tech was on the ship so no longer requires a chamber. If it's now readily available on ships, bounty hunter ships nonetheless, I'd think it's a widely used practice among them.
    Fair enough. It’s wasn’t a huge deal for me, either way. But I thought it was a bit dumb.

Spoiler:
    Part of it is that I find it hard to believe that bounty hunters would look at Frozen Han and think that was such a great idea that they would invest in the research to miniaturize the technology to fit on a starship, and adapting it to be safer for humans. In five years.

It would be like converting a bulk meat freezer into a hibernation unit to put in the back of police cars. In five years.

Carbon freezing requires incredibly cold refrigeration units and molten metal, for pity’s sake. This is a universe that has containment fields.

But I suspect we are all overthinking this WAY too much.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    Fair enough. It’s wasn’t a huge deal for me, either way. But I thought it was a bit dumb.

Spoiler:
    Part of it is that I find it hard to believe that bounty hunters would look at Frozen Han and think that was such a great idea that they would invest in the research to miniaturize the technology to fit on a starship, and adapting it to be safer for humans. In five years.

It would be like converting a bulk meat freezer into a hibernation unit to put in the back of police cars. In five years.

Carbon freezing requires incredibly cold refrigeration units and molten metal, for pity’s sake. This is a universe that has containment fields.

But I suspect we are all overthinking this WAY too much.

HBJ
    Definitely overthinking all of it, but it's fun to nerd out! With how fast our tech is moving these days, it doesn't surprise me that theirs would be light-speed fast.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I agree the show is very good indeed. A solid and promising start. Interesting world building on both a small and large scale. Interesting plot developments - particularly in the last third of the episode. And we are even starting to know the main character a little - even though he wears a mask, has no name, and is laconic, to say the least. Not bad for a single 40 minute episode.
    Oh yeah, I was surprised it was only 40 min long. Seemed a full hour though while watching it. I wonder if future episodes will extend to the full hour? Do they plan to offer similar content for other "worlds" (PoTC comes to mind)?

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Spoiler:

- when the landspeeder with the droid pulled up, and it looked similar to Luke’s. There’s no reason a landspeeder designed for desert conditions would be used on an ice planet. I understand they did it because it looks “starwarsy”, but still, it pulled me out of the scene immediately.
    - freezing his bounties in carbonite. Please. Freezing Han in carbonite was a spur of the moment thing on Bespin - and it was Vader’s idea. It wasn’t something bounty hunters usually did. In fact, it was considered risky and dangerous - Lando wasn’t sure Han would even survive the process. So the idea a bounty hunter would later use carbon freezing is just silly - done purely for fan service without any in universe justification.

Like I said, nitpicks, but they pulled me out of the show immediately. Suspension of disbelief vanished. However, I will say that the show pulled me back in pretty quickly. Generally I think it was a very strong and promising start.

(The self destruct bit I found genuinely funny. The whole last half of the Ep was engaging, entertaining and fun.)

HBJ
    spoiler

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

New episode out today for anyone unaware!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Spoiler:

HBJ
    spoiler
    I agree with this assessment.

Spoiler:
    And with that statement I have now officially become a nerd!!!! LOL

Spoiler:

HBJ
    spoiler
    I guess that, in general, I get a bit exasperated when familiar elements are used because they are familiar rather than because they help build the world or the story. Yes, we can come up with reasons why those elements might be there, but then we are doing the showmakers’ jobs for them. We are working to justify something that doesn’t really make sense when you consider those familiar elements in their original context.

Is it IMPOSSIBLE to justify the presence of the two examples of this I mentioned? No. But being able to justify it somehow doesn’t dispel the impression that they are there because they are familiar, not because they should be there in a sensible, consistent created world.

Spoiler:
    in the specific case of the landspeeder, even if it is a generic model, the idea that they would use that model on an ice planet WITH AN OPEN TOP is absurd. Surely there are models that enclose the cabin to protect the occupants from the elements?

The reason it has an open top is only so it looks like the speeder from the first movie, not because it makes logical sense in the universe.

This doesn’t make the show bad, or mean that I hated it. Far from it. I really enjoyed it. But those two moments were jarring enough to pull me out of the show for a minute, because I could see the man behind the curtain.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

HBJ
    spoiler
    I guess that, in general, I get a bit exasperated when familiar elements are used because they are familiar rather than because they help build the world or the story. Yes, we can come up with reasons why those elements might be there, but then we are doing the showmakers’ jobs for them. We are working to justify something that doesn’t really make sense when you consider those familiar elements in their original context.

Is it IMPOSSIBLE to justify the presence of the two examples of this I mentioned? No. But being able to justify it somehow doesn’t dispel the impression that they are there because they are familiar, not because they should be there in a sensible, consistent created world.

HBJ
    I don't understand you taking exception to the land speeder as a "Familiar element". I'd more likely assume, Ford was the manufacturer and that model speeder it's "Ford Focus" of the day!!! lol I think the point of the speeder was to demonstrate some continuity with the SW world and also that the galaxy maintains certain tried and true marketing/manufacturing strategies if you want to look that deeply into the stories finer elements.

No offense, HBJ but maybe you could use a little therapy for that nerd OCD!!! LOL J/K with you, buddy. You can see I care about you, dude!!! lol

I added some text to my last post that explains it better.

And I’ll reiterate what I said there: This doesn’t make the show bad, or mean that I hated it. Far from it. I really enjoyed it. But those two moments were jarring enough to pull me out of the show for a minute, because I could see the man behind the curtain.

(Also, by explaining it, I’m blowing it way out of proportion. This discussion started because I mentioned that there were a couple of eye rolling moments in an otherwise excellent show. The show is good, and those moments didn’t spoil it for me.)

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

I added some text to my last post that explains it better.

And I’ll reiterate what I said there: This doesn’t make the show bad, or mean that I hated it. Far from it. I really enjoyed it. But those two moments were jarring enough to pull me out of the show for a minute, because I could see the man behind the curtain.

(Also, by explaining it, I’m blowing it way out of proportion. This discussion started because I mentioned that there were a couple of eye rolling moments in an otherwise excellent show. The show is good, and those moments didn’t spoil it for me.)

HBJ
    Closed top would have been nice in the desert also. Get a little A/C crankin' . I agree with Dan about the one that belonged to Luke's family. Probably got it off some shadey used speeder salesman.

I thought new episodes wouldn't drop til Tuesdays.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read somewhere online that they're putting the second episode out early, then I think it will become a more regular weekly release.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I read somewhere online that they're putting the second episode out early, then I think it will become a more regular weekly release.
    Gotcha. No time to catch it til next week anyway.

It’s nice to see so much positive vibe for Star Wars here. There’s so much gleeful negativity out there from people seemingly wanting Ep 9 to fail. It’s good to come here and see enthusiasm and excitement from folks giving an honest appraisal of what looks to be a good show, and no attempted shaming from naysayers.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It’s nice to see so much positive vibe for Star Wars here. There’s so much gleeful negativity out there from people seemingly wanting Ep 9 to fail. It’s good to come here and see enthusiasm and excitement from folks giving an honest appraisal of what looks to be a good show, and no attempted shaming from naysayers.
    Couldn't agree more!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Concur! Although I haven't been a fan of the newest movies with the exception of Rogue One. Solo was fun.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

THIS is what they needed the whole time. A FAN BOY doing the work. Jon F is a MASSIVE fan of Star Wars. I was not surprised to see this so well received. Disney seen the first couple episodes and ordered a second season right fast I read. Love it!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    THIS is what they needed the whole time. A FAN BOY doing the work. Jon F is a MASSIVE fan of Star Wars. I was not surprised to see this so well received. Disney seen the first couple episodes and ordered a second season right fast I read. Love it!
    I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure him being a fan has anything to do with how good it is. JJ Abrams is a massive fan as well, and he got roasted for TFA being too much of a rehash. Personally I think it's just the different medium / subject matter that lend it to being perceived differently. Star Wars TV tends to be overlooked, because until now it's really only been animated, but the animated shows have all been really very good. Specifically I'm speaking to Clone Wars and Rebels, I haven't seen the current show yet.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yup, what Dan said^. Being a fan helps, but it's not the end-all be-all. Nolan and Snyder were both massive Batman fans and look how wildly different their takes on the Caped Crusader turned out.

On topic: I'm going to watch both episodes of Mandalorian tonight. Can't wait

+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 130 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 ... LastLast