Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 130 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 118 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 3234

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I do count the prequels. Pretty sure I never said otherwise. Sure, there are some serious issues, especially with casting, but the story is there (even if it didn't translate well to the screen in the way Lucas presented it).

And as previously stated, I really enjoyed Episode VII. This last one just...didn't fit...to me.

But perhaps I'm just jumping to conclusions and incorrectly assuming that was a statement/question aimed at me.
    Wraine of Pints N Quarters Gaming!

Check us out - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHY...g3rAGIp615zLtA

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    I do count the prequels. Pretty sure I never said otherwise. Sure, there are some serious issues, especially with casting, but the story is there (even if it didn't translate well to the screen in the way Lucas presented it).

And as previously stated, I really enjoyed Episode VII. This last one just...didn't fit...to me.

But perhaps I'm just jumping to conclusions and incorrectly assuming that was a statement/question aimed at me.
    Nope not aimed at you specifically, mostly just in general / at the idea that the sequels aren't very "Star Wars". As I think they are just as "Star Wars" as the prequels, weather they are good or not is a different argument.

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh I gotcha, Dan.

I would definitely agree that The Force Awakens was super Star Warsy. It had everything I love in a Star Wars film; the sprawling Starship Graveyard on Jakku, an awesome cantina scene with fantastic practical effects, some wonderful droid comedic relief, old school Han and Chewy chemistry, characters in totally bad ass costumes (Phasma), First Order general Hux with that perfect smarmy sneer, a likable, female protagonist that I could seriously get behind, and the kind of angst that I felt Lucas missed the boat with Anakin Skywalker, Kylo Ren made up for in spades...I felt like I was in a galaxy far, far away. It was great and very in line with the originals.
    Wraine of Pints N Quarters Gaming!

Check us out - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHY...g3rAGIp615zLtA

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Oh I gotcha, Dan.

I would definitely agree that The Force Awakens was super Star Warsy. It had everything I love in a Star Wars film; the sprawling Starship Graveyard on Jakku, an awesome cantina scene with fantastic practical effects, some wonderful droid comedic relief, old school Han and Chewy chemistry, characters in totally bad ass costumes (Phasma), First Order general Hux with that perfect smarmy sneer, a likable, female protagonist that I could seriously get behind, and the kind of angst that I felt Lucas missed the boat with Anakin Skywalker, Kylo Ren made up for in spades...I felt like I was in a galaxy far, far away. It was great and very in line with the originals.
    Definitely. But I think that's also where a lot of people's complaints about The Force Awakens come it. It was so in line with the originals that it just kinda felt like a rehash. I tend to agree, but just don't really mind. That said I loved The Last Jedi because it was so different, while still being familiar.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I will be going out after work tomorrow to get The Last Jedi on blu-ray/dvd so I can finally watch it.

Never did get to see it in theaters...
    Watched it last night. 10/10 would watch again.

I don't understand all the hate it's getting. Although I liked the prequels more than a lot of people seemed to as well. So maybe I'm the weird one. Whatever.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

I will be going out after work tomorrow to get The Last Jedi on blu-ray/dvd so I can finally watch it.

Never did get to see it in theaters...
    Watched it last night. 10/10 would watch again.

I don't understand all the hate it's getting. Although I liked the prequels more than a lot of people seemed to as well. So maybe I'm the weird one. Whatever.

Me too. But I've never been super picky when it comes to movies, as long as I'm entertained.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the prequels for the most part as well.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I *really* enjoyed The Force Awakens. Likeable characters I cared about, having exciting space adventures - that's what Star Wars should be. Yes, there was aome rehashing from a story perspective, but the movie did what it had to - establish itself as "this is the movie you're looking for".

I think Rogue One was a better movie, technically, but I enjoyed TFA more.

TLJ was a bit messy. While I understand what Rian Johnson was doing, I don't think it was a good choice to use the Star Wars franchise as a vehicle to deconstruct the space adventure genre. Be clever in your own movie. I also think that it was insane for LucasFilm not to have an overarching story in mind for eps VII-IX, which didn't help Rian make good choices.

I will say that the Rey/Snoke/Kylo/Luke plot thread was very strong, and easily my favourite part of the movie.

Not really interested in Solo, TBH. It may be the first SW movie I don't see in theaters.

HBJ

Country
    Country Flag

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I don't know why I thought of this just now, but when they mentioned Chewy being 190 years old, it made me think of it. How the hell do they measure time in the Star Wars universe?

We know characters like Yoda and Chewy are really old. Yoda mentions that he's 900 years old in Jedi. But time, for us at least, is measured based on the orbit of the Earth around our sun. For all these other characters on different planets, it would obviously be different.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it. All these characters from all these other planets all seem to speak and/or understand English perfectly as well. So...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

I don't know why I thought of this just now, but when they mentioned Chewy being 190 years old, it made me think of it. How the hell do they measure time in the Star Wars universe?

We know characters like Yoda and Chewy are really old. Yoda mentions that he's 900 years old in Jedi. But time, for us at least, is measured based on the orbit of the Earth around our sun. For all these other characters on different planets, it would obviously be different.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it. All these characters from all these other planets all seem to speak and/or understand English perfectly as well. So...
    Generally in Sci-Fi that has space travel (like Star Wars) there's some galactic unit of time.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From the looks of the trailer; might not be half-bad. And who doesn't love Chewy.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Yeah you don't want to tug at that thread too much. I've always wondered how humans, aliens, androids etc. can planet hop so much and not be affected by each planet's different atmospheres and gravity. Best just to think of it as fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Yeah you don't want to tug at that thread too much. I've always wondered how humans, aliens, androids etc. can planet hop so much and not be affected by each planet's different atmospheres and gravity. Best just to think of it as fantasy.
    Yea Star Wars kinda breaks the rules of Physics / Mother nature. I don't think a planet like Hoth could actually exist in reality, and if it did exist it probably wouldn't have any oxygen to breath. That's why Star Wars isn't really Science Fiction as much as it is Science Fantasy.

Country
    Country Flag

That's one thing that greatly annoys me with a lot of sci-fi, the notion that a planet is only one thing. An ice planet, a desert planet. And only a single type of people or creatures live there in a planet-wide country. Shouldn't most planets have pretty varied looks, kinda like Earth? With different countries and people?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys are over thinking this wayyyy too much

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    That's one thing that greatly annoys me with a lot of sci-fi, the notion that a planet is only one thing. An ice planet, a desert planet. And only a single type of people or creatures live there in a planet-wide country. Shouldn't most planets have pretty varied looks, kinda like Earth? With different countries and people?
    I agree. Though that's really the difference between science fiction and science fantasy. Science Fiction tries to keep the science at least sort of grounded in reality, while science fantasy doesn't really care about that.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know. Mercury, Venus, and Mars pretty much look the same all over.

Country
    Country Flag

But they're uninhabited.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Mars isn't! Matt Damon was there!!

Country
    Country Flag

Matt Damon pooped there.

Matt Damon pooped there.
    Perfect lead in to my next question, what kind of toilets do these Star Wars planets have?

(sorry, lack of sleep, )

Country
    Country Flag

But they're uninhabited.
    They wouldn't be in the SW Universe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 130 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 118 ... LastLast