Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 130 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 3234

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Matts, you have single handedly ruined this thread for me. You are so consistently and doggedly negative about all things SW it's freaking depressing. If you hate it so much stop watching. Then we won't have to listen to your long and drawn out nit picking condemnation of every film that is released.

Seriously, stick to the original trilogy and leave the other films to those who may actually enjoy them. You seem to go to see these newer films as some form of twisted masochism. lol

I'm a Star Wars fan and damn proud of it!!! I don't go to these films because I'm hoping to see an Oscar worthy film. They are never going to win Best film, or Best actor/actress at the Oscars because there are too many snobby, film critics involved in the voting for anything in this genre to ever win. Guys like you who are always valuing some sub-text, rare camera angle or some such crap or innuendo to ever give these type films their due. Star wars is fun, popcorn munching, children and adult harmless good entertainment and I, along with millions of others enjoy the living shit out of it!!!! It's only this grouchy, critical minority that constantly malign's the franchise. Do they perform better with some films than others? yeah, sure they can't all be diamonds. However, consider the overall hours of magical entertainment they have given to several generations of fans that far out weigh the malcontents.

There, rant completed. You may all return to dissecting the films and your general discontent. Please, pardon the interruption. LOL

BTW, "Mandalorian" fans!!!! Funko pop has 4 of the character statues available right now. Some more ready for delivery, but at right around $10 a pop pretty cool statues at a good price for Xmas!!!!
    Sorry Bill but this is ridiculous. How can you enjoy a movie if it has shitty, shallow characters, more cgi than today’s Video games, horrible cliche dialogue and original actors who say the movies are bad. I don’t go to movies to be disappointed.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I think Rogue One might be my favorite SW movie but I am not a superfan by any means. I've enjoyed nearly all of them. I'm not so crazy about the prequel trilogy, those three are the worst in my opinion. I liked The Last Jedi more than The Force Awakens and I even liked Solo.

But seeing how vicious some SW fans are really puts me off the whole thing. I can understand if someone is disappointed by something and wants to express that but there comes a point where you are simply just shitting all over other people's good time to make yourself feel better.
    WELL SAID.
    At the risk of being "Un-Civil", I agree. Well said, my friend!!!!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I enjoyed Rouge One as well. To me, it was a perfect setup to Star War: A New Hope. I also enjoyed the first two movies of the latest trilogy. Regardless of what people say here to slam it, or it's RT score, I am seeing the new one when it comes out. I have the unaltered versions of the first trilogy and I will continue to enjoy them. Like others have said, I don't get the hate. I will always enjoy Star Wars movies. And I wonder if they are going to try and continue and expand the story even more. If they do, I will be there.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Sorry Bill but this is ridiculous. How can you enjoy a movie if it has shitty, shallow characters, more cgi than today’s Video games, horrible cliche dialogue and original actors who say the movies are bad. I don’t go to movies to be disappointed.
    I think you misread, Bill was talking about the sequels. You seem to be talking about the prequels. They were all full of very poorly done green-screen CGI. And Disney actually had to upscale the films and couldn't restore them into proper 4K because the infallible George Lucas decided to shoot them on digital in 2K and said this would be the pinnacle of film quality... And while an interesting take on the universe, the shiny and ultra-futuristic look of everything did not make logical sense in the established SW universe.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I think Rogue One might be my favorite SW movie but I am not a superfan by any means. I've enjoyed nearly all of them. I'm not so crazy about the prequel trilogy, those three are the worst in my opinion. I liked The Last Jedi more than The Force Awakens and I even liked Solo.
    I'm very much the same. Loved Rogue One, amazing film. As was The Last Jedi.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

"And while an interesting take on the universe, the shiny and ultra-futuristic look of everything did not make logical sense in the established SW universe."
    I agree with this %100. I guess you could say that the war broke everything down, but it always bothered me that the ships in the prequels looked more,
    to use your word "futuristic", the the ships that were in the later films.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Matts, you have single handedly ruined this thread for me. You are so consistently and doggedly negative about all things SW it's freaking depressing. If you hate it so much stop watching. Then we won't have to listen to your long and drawn out nit picking condemnation of every film that is released.

Seriously, stick to the original trilogy and leave the other films to those who may actually enjoy them. You seem to go to see these newer films as some form of twisted masochism. lol

I'm a Star Wars fan and damn proud of it!!! I don't go to these films because I'm hoping to see an Oscar worthy film. They are never going to win Best film, or Best actor/actress at the Oscars because there are too many snobby, film critics involved in the voting for anything in this genre to ever win. Guys like you who are always valuing some sub-text, rare camera angle or some such crap or innuendo to ever give these type films their due. Star wars is fun, popcorn munching, children and adult harmless good entertainment and I, along with millions of others enjoy the living shit out of it!!!! It's only this grouchy, critical minority that constantly malign's the franchise. Do they perform better with some films than others? yeah, sure they can't all be diamonds. However, consider the overall hours of magical entertainment they have given to several generations of fans that far out weigh the malcontents.

There, rant completed. You may all return to dissecting the films and your general discontent. Please, pardon the interruption. LOL

BTW, "Mandalorian" fans!!!! Funko pop has 4 of the character statues available right now. Some more ready for delivery, but at right around $10 a pop pretty cool statues at a good price for Xmas!!!!
    Guess I fail to meet your movie going standards. I enjoy the films. I go to be entertained for 2 hrs or so and not to write a review or critique the film. When you think about it a very few films produced by the industry live up to the standards you people set. If you don't go to the movies to be disappointed then don't go to the movies at all. You just can't chance it, right? And I don't appreciate being called "ridiculous" that's not a "Civil" way to refer to someone's opinion on this forum apparently..

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    "And while an interesting take on the universe, the shiny and ultra-futuristic look of everything did not make logical sense in the established SW universe."
    I agree with this %100. I guess you could say that the war broke everything down, but it always bothered me that the ships in the prequels looked more,
    to use your word "futuristic", the the ships that were in the later films.
    It's not so much that, but more that in the prequels we were spending our time with the "super power" so to speak. Those were the people with all the money and the new ships / equipment. In the OG trilogy, we're spending our time with the rebels, who've had to scrap ships together from basically junk. Most of which is outdated and run down. The shiny / new take is really kinda just all the Naboo stuff. I think it's meant to be a style that's specific to Naboo. When you get into 2 and 3 other than the Naboo designs the ships don't really look all that different in quality from the stuff The Empire has in the OG trilogy.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I don't really think most of these points are valid. The characters of the OG trilogy aren't really any more "deep" than any of the other movies. As far as CGI goes, a surprising amount of the new stuff is practical, but more to the point I guess you don't watch any main stream blockbusters then because CGI in blockbusters is the way of the industry.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    I don't really think most of these points are valid. The characters of the OG trilogy aren't really any more "deep" than any of the other movies. As far as CGI goes, a surprising amount of the new stuff is practical, but more to the point I guess you don't watch any main stream blockbusters then because CGI in blockbusters is the way of the industry.
    Maybe not more 'deep', but certainly more endearing. They also had the benefit of being the focal point of the story (talking specifically about Luke, Han, and Leia).

The SeqTri is having to spread itself across Rey, Finn, Leia, Kylo, Poe, Luke, etc.,

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Maybe not more 'deep', but certainly more endearing. They also had the benefit of being the focal point of the story (talking specifically about Luke, Han, and Leia).

The SeqTri is having to spread itself across Rey, Finn, Leia, Kylo, Poe, Luke, etc.,
    With all due respect, Ferny did you read what you replied?

Luke = Rey
    Poe = Han
    Fin = Leia (sort of)

I don't think there are any MORE or LESS characters in each series. Now maybe that is a criticism, but your statement doesn't seem to hold water. They seem to follow a trend where the older characters herald in the newer ones, no?Also, Dan is right, CGI is the way of the world for most big budget films.

Country
    Country Flag

I've always respected this guy's opinion on movies and this seems to be a very objective review (no spoilers, more of a thinkpiece):

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like Chris's reviews, too. He's very fair.

Side note re: Star Wars: I really liked Solo.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

I liked it okay when seeing it in theaters but I really enjoyed it again now during my recent re-watch. It's just a lot of fun, but what lowers it overall is that the Actor Whatshisname looks and acts nothing like Harrison Ford.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I liked it okay when seeing it in theaters but I really enjoyed it again now during my recent re-watch. It's just a lot of fun, but what lowers it overall is that the Actor Whatshisname looks and acts nothing like Harrison Ford.
    Maybe cause he ain't "Harrison"? lol Poe gets some crappy dialogue in the 3 movie's IMO. He'sa better actor than they gave him lines for and it should be a better character given his back story from the original trilogy IMHO. I'm sure, Mattrick and a few others will disagree with this statement, but that is their right I suppose, to be disappointed after they have laid down their $10 bucks to see the film. Personally, at the risk of being deemed "Un-Civil" i think they should save the $10 plus popcorn money for a nice massage parlor down town where they can get a "Happy Ending". lol (?)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I quit watching Star Wars 3 years ago after Rogue One. And I haven't seen a Star Wars film in theatres since Attack of the Clones 17 years ago.

I never claimed to care about subtext with Star Wars. I said this: "I think the brand has taken on so much lore and fandom that most people forget what the initial appeal of Star Wars was for 20 years. It was a fun adventure with characters you truly enjoyed spending time with. That's it." But I don't think the new films are a fun adventure nor do I enjoying spending time with these characters because they're boring characters to me. Add in a janky plot full of coincidences and McGuffins and new Star Wars has nothing to offer me. I never once in all most posts talked about cinematography, camera work, themes, or anything else I'd expect to find in an oscar worthy film.

I get they're fun popcorn films. But when a fun popcorn film isn't fun for you, then it has no value to you. These new films are the opposite of fun for me. I actually fell asleep during Rogue One I was so bored because the film couldn't make me care about anything happening. If people find the new characters great and find this adventure fun, then all the power to them. There just frustrating for me because they clearly didn't put any effort into the script (a growing issue in Hollywood).

I'm just glad this trilogy is over and maybe Lucasfilm can hit the reset button and make something better and get back to basics from a storytelling perspective and stop relying on the past.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

The original characters were definitely deeper. They grow and change and affect each other in meaningful ways. Just comparing Luke and Rey you can see the difference.

Luke is a flawed character: he's brash, overconfident, impatient, and he allows his emotions to make poor decisions...and he fails constantly and needs help all the time. Leia's the driving force escaping the death star. He blows up The Death Star (with Han's help). He gets his ass kicked by a wampa. He loses to Darth Vader (and his hand) and fails to save his friends. After some more training with Yoda he is able to rescue Han Solo, with the help of all his friends. In the end, Luke isn't even the one to defeat The Emperor, Darth Vader is. Then according to the new trilogy he totally fails at restoring the Jedi Order and the universe becomes an objectively worse place with probably billions of deaths at the command of his nephew whom he failed to protect from the dark side. And I think in Last Jedi Yoda even tells him to learn from his failure, because that's what Luke has always done. Luke is relatable because he is flawed and has to overcome his flaws and rely on his friends in order to become a hero, and he's endearing because he just wants to protect his friends and fight evil.

Rey, on the other hand, doesn't need to endure any hardships to grow, never seems to need any help, has seemingly no flaws to overcome, and succeeds seemingly all the time with very little trials or tribulations. Her strength is also unearned and not a product of adversity and learning, it's just innate, which makes her unrelatable and not compelling. Rey doesn't have any compelling motivation either, at least in The Force Awakens...she's just accidentally gets caught up in something and ends up being a Jedi Chosen one by the end. Whereas Luke's motivation in A New Hope came from his dreams of joining The Rebellion and having adventures, the death of his only family, his hatred for The Empire, and his desire to help Princess Leia.

The new characters for me are just so, so thin and hollow with so little identity and unclear motivations. Not endearing in any way. All problems a better script would solve. And it's a shame since I like so much of the cast.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw the new Star Wars film tonight with the entire family. Enjoyed it very much, though I wouldn't say I love all of it. I found the first 20-30 minutes to be a jumbled mess, but then I settle in quite nicely. I saw the original Star Wars when I was 12 years old and have found something to love in each them. It was a fitting conclusion to the nine films. I am intentionally staying away from actual content till others have seen it. I give it a 7.5/10, while the wife and kids gave it an 8/10.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I feel the Mandalorian is like Boyd Crowder in Justified where he would blow up a bomb in one area, and actually do his crime somewhere else. I have not enjoyed the new Star Wars trilogy at all and have not liked any of the writing or the unlikeable characters that come with it. Rey seems to be the only semi likeable character who seems to be similar to Luke, but wasn't there movies about him already? Why not continue his story instead like they could have or just made a whole new trilogy that was written properly. Do we need a rehash with lazy writing? I have read and heard about the sloppy finale and how even Palpatine was simply added after the fact. Who is in charge of this mess? Needless to say I would not pay to see this, and I won't. I will not line Disney's pockets with their poor adaptation.
    Mattrick seems to be one of the people that can write stellar reviews and adapt his thoughts passionately especially with his love of what made Star Wars actually great....back then. I agree wholeheartedly with his assessment. And even when Boyd the Mandalorian is blowing up bombs to save Star Wars with "baby Yoda," it isn't saving it. It is distracting the masses from Disney's laziness as they steal money. I am tired and gearing up for the Witcher with the hopes it isn't thrown together like trash like GOT season 8 or the new Star Wars.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Country
    Country Flag

Here's another good even-keel non-spoilery review. He calls it the most "Star Wars" SW movie Seeing this tomorrow morning, cannot wait!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Audience score of 88% on Rotten.... seems that fans feel differently than they did about Last Jedi. With 91% from critics BUT A DISMAL 43% from fans... we have a total flip here. 58% from critics for Rise of Skywalker but 88% from the fans....... very cool.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Doesn't Palpatine's return mean Anakin's existence/character/point and the Jedi prophecy about his bringing balance are wrong? Doesn't that go directly against the story of the original trilogy?

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.firstshowing.net/2019/re...ith-the-force/
    Speaking as one of those aforementioned die-hard devotees who is fully immersed and invested in the larger Star Wars universe, I am thoroughly pleased with and extremely grateful for The Rise of Skywalker. It's a fun, exciting, and cathartic conclusion to the Skywalker Saga that I can't wait to revisit and further examine all that it offers. I love this movie – I love how it expands and unifies the series – and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next, whether it's on the big screen or Disney+. This may very well be the final word in the story of Skywalker, but it isn't the end of Star Wars. The Force will be with us. Always.

My Mood
    Cool

Audience score of 88% on Rotten.... seems that fans feel differently than they did about Last Jedi. With 91% from critics BUT A DISMAL 43% from fans... we have a total flip here. 58% from critics for Rise of Skywalker but 88% from the fans....... very cool.
    That's why I never trust the critics. I can't wait to see this and make up my own mind.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    That's why I never trust the critics. I can't wait to see this and make up my own mind.
    Oh me too!! Out of everyone that I know that has seen it so far they have are universally thought it was great... Just that there is a little bit of cramping stuff into it But I don’t care I can’t wait to make my own mind up in about five hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 130 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 ... LastLast