Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 130 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I have no idea. I do so many other things that could bring shame and heartache upon them, I don't know why they harp on this.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's what old people need to understand about the kids today: to them, the hooded guy in Episodes V and VI is not "The Emperor" or even "Palpatine". He is "Darth Sidious".

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    I have no idea. I do so many other things that could bring shame and heartache upon them, I don't know why they harp on this.
    Hey, use it for an excuse to get away with things. "Mom, stop it!" "Fine, I'll go watch Phantom Menace!" "Nooooo!"
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

"... And in the end some Gunguns died,
    Some ships blew up and some pilots fried ..."
    ~ Weird Al

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Saw this yesterday and it made me smile.
    Spoiler:

Also, Phantom Menace would've been so much better if it had been more like this:
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    And you're using the word ridiculous to describe outer space battles that feature breathing robots and humans that are able to effortlessly jump fifteen stories and move things with their mind and telepathically communicate across long distances, you realize that right ?
    Yes! And I'm not changing my position.

Yeah, Luke was a whiny bitch. But he was likeable! And Hamill actually put emotions into his lines, unlike Christiansen, who sounded like he was reading off a teleprompter or something. Luke is more of the everyman and is easier to relate to than Anakin, who just comes off as an entitled dick a lot of the time.

And don't get me started on how Padme began as an intelligent, capable woman with a career and turned into a sappy baby machine who "lost the will to live" despite having two kids that might actually need a parent who isn't murderous. (And somehow either didn't know or didn't tell anyone she was having twins? It's the future, they have mastered space travel but don't have an ultrasound machine?)
    1. First bolded section: Okay, this is not meant to be flaming but isn't the point that Anakin was an entitled dick? Isn't that the forerunner of the meglamaniac that is Darth Vader? It is his fatal flaw (I don't buy the crap about his 'love" of Padme being his fatal flaw, his ARROGANCE is his fatal flaw) that is manipulated by Palpatine to turn him to the dark side. Yeah, fear, but also his narcissistic entitlement. Which in no small part I am sure comes from having been slave born and probably ridiculed all his life for being a bastard.

2; Second bolded section: This is what pregnancy hormones do to you. And I think it is a bit unempathetic to not see how being nearly killed by the man whom you thought loved you and has betrayed you and turned "evil" making you not want to live anymore. In her mind, it was the worst thing that could have happened.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by beam*seeker View Post

1. First bolded section: Okay, this is not meant to be flaming but isn't the point that Anakin was an entitled dick? Isn't that the forerunner of the meglamaniac that is Darth Vader? It is his fatal flaw (I don't buy the crap about his 'love" of Padme being his fatal flaw, his ARROGANCE is his fatal flaw) that is manipulated by Palpatine to turn him to the dark side. Yeah, fear, but also his narcissistic entitlement. Which in no small part I am sure comes from having been slave born and probably ridiculed all his life for being a bastard.

2; Second bolded section: This is what pregnancy hormones do to you. And I think it is a bit unempathetic to not see how being nearly killed by the man whom you thought loved you and has betrayed you and turned "evil" making you not want to live anymore. In her mind, it was the worst thing that could have happened.
    Agree with #1. Yes, Anakin's arrogance was the root cause of everything. His sense of entitlement because he was "special" led him to believe that he could do things and have things that other Jedis couldn't...like forgoing a great deal of his training and having romantic relationships. But I thought Anakin was developed badly. The little kid we met in Phantom Menace was very likeable. Once his balls dropped he turned into a whiney little douche.

Disagree with #2. Anyone who is as confident and strong like Padme started out as would be able to get through adversity like that. I don't care how much in love she was. She's smart enough to know that she'd get over it...or should be.

This is what I hate about the prequels...the two man characters started out as cool people and ended up as weak, whiny bitches. They should have been developed better. And Padme should not have died at the end of Revenge of the Sith. It makes Leia's line about her mother in Return of the Jedi make no sense. She should have been made to understand why her children had to be separated, gone to Alderaan with Bail who adopts Leia after Padme "dies when Leia was very young, looking beautiful but sad". It's only the other characters that seem to remain true to who they were throughout the series, specifically Obiwan and Palpatine. Obiwan remains the quintessential Jedi throughout the story just as Palpatine remains the quintessential Sith. (which is why these two are my favorite characters in the prequels.

But what can you expect from a guy that would change things so that Han doesn't shoot first. And on that subject, why are people hung up on "first"? Han didn't shoot first...there was no first shot. There was only one shot. Han just straight up shot Greedo's bitchass.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's cool how Padmé says "There's still good in him" before she dies. That will be Luke's mantra later. He says it to Obi-Wan, and to Vader himself. I believe the twins were Force sensitive from birth... maybe even before birth. (From that same scene, coz -- Luke: The Force is strong in my family. My father has it, I have it, and... my sister has it. Yes. It's you, Leia. Leia: I know. Somehow, I've always known.) My favorite is Return of the Jedi, hands down. The saga is really about redemption. I do have some problems with the prequels, but I'm fascinated by the twist regarding the origin of that power to appear after death. The real interesting thing in these movies is the controversy over the nature of the Light Side between Yoda and Obi-Wan, on one side, and Luke and Qui-Gon on the other. The "Unifying Force" represents the timeless essence of nature, the aspect which binds all things together, and the rationale behind the Jedi ethic of detachment. The "Living Force" represents specific and individual manifestations of the present moment, the spirit with which Qui-Gon decides for himself to train Anakin no matter what the Council thinks, (and in which his self remains distinct after he joins the Force) the same spirit with which Luke decides for himself to love Anakin no matter that his teachers say that Vader must die. (and in which Anakin then destroys the Sith and himself joins the Force a renewed soul.) Evil vs. good; inside good, love vs. honor; and then back to good vs. evil. Return of the Jedi

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Very poignant assessment, Path. I must admit that I've never viewed that aspect of the (light side) that meticulously, but I will watch ROTJ soon under that lens. And agreed, redemption is the thematic linchpin of Vader's (and to an extent, the entire seres) story.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

STAR WARS U.S.A. 1st EDITION DEC 1976

STAR WARS U.K. 1st EDITION 1977.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Why did they change Anakin's "ghost" at the end of ROTJ to when he was younger? They should have left him as older when he died. They didn't change Obi-Wan to his younger self!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    ... They didn't change Obi-Wan to his younger self!
    Shh! Don't give them any more bright ideas! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by cozener View Post
    ... The little kid we met in Phantom Menace was very likeable. Once his balls dropped he turned into a whiney little douche. ...
    You know, I wish I had a dime for every very likable little kid who turned like that I've known in real life.

Very poignant assessment, Path. I must admit that I've never viewed that aspect of the (light side) that meticulously, but I will watch ROTJ soon under that lens. And agreed, redemption is the thematic linchpin of Vader's (and to an extent, the entire seres) story.
    Thanks. I always felt that way. Don't care so much about Ewoks or Jabba the Hutt, but the whole showdown with the Emperor was just right, IMO. And isn't it interesting that even from the afterlife, Obi-Wan couldn't see the future correctly? I was therefore somewhat gratified at how the prequels added to the meaning of the saga's ending; the maverick Qui-Gon Jinn was the one unexpected thing Lucas put in that I really liked, and bringing him up the way they did at the end of Episode III resonated nicely, IMO.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Why did they change Anakin's "ghost" at the end of ROTJ to when he was younger? They should have left him as older when he died. They didn't change Obi-Wan to his younger self!
    Actually, that change does make sense to me. When Anakin "died" he was young. The Darth Vader within Anakin killed him. Like Obiwan said to Luke "he (Darth Vader) betrayed and murdered your father." In a way, that's what happened. Making the young Anakin the force ghost, I think, illustrates that point well.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

but Anakin "returned" at the end, when he saved his son.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Has this ever been discussed here?

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/star-war...-wars-marathon
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Now don't be difficult...

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    I like Method 3: The Prequels as Flashback

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I watch them chronologically (EP I --> EP VI). Usually when I have a SW marathon I take that approach. The only drawback is, like the article mentioned, that the action sequences in the prequels are much, much better and so the fight scenes in the originals feel like a step down.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Then why wasn't he bald and looking paler than an emo Scotsman who had recently lost a couple of pints of blood when he came back as a ghost?

To be honest, the problem for me isn't that Anakin comes back as the man he once was, the idea of that I actually like a lot, if I'm honest. No, what makes the change so bad is just how fucking creepy Hayden looked as Anakin. And it still annoys me how much of an unlikeable shit he was in the prequels. So as much as the idea of Anakin coming back as a young ghost makes sense, the Sebastian Shaw ghost ending was better because it was better executed. Also, you know, you have Anakin played by an actor.

- Melike

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I watch them chronologically (EP I --> EP VI). Usually when I have a SW marathon I take that approach. The only drawback is, like the article mentioned, that the action sequences in the prequels are much, much better and so the fight scenes in the originals feel like a step down.
    Speaking for myself, I'll watch them in order. I was thinking more of someone that hasn't seen them. The reasons they give for this on the site Bethany posted seem sound to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Also, you know, you have Anakin played by an actor.
    Yeah...that helps a lot...

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Spoiler:

Im pretty sure in the Star Wars universe, you'd get your ass kicked by prancing around in that bowtie.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

In most cases, yes.

In the Doctor's case? He's got a bow tie, a tweed jacket and a screwdriver. He'd do fine!

- Melike

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Is he a doctor, or Macgyver?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

He's Gandalf! Outer space Gandalf! Or the little green one in Star Wars, shuuum!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Spoiler:

Im pretty sure in the Star Wars universe, you'd get your ass kicked by prancing around in that bowtie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 130 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast