Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Tull *possible spoilers*

John F. Kennedy Random321321 is on a distinguished road

Regardless of the technical explanation, there's more than a tinge of sexual violence there, no?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, the Gunslinger is not a good book for young children.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Hbgunslinger is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I always felt that Tull was going to end in bloodshed the second he walked in. I think even if he had just rode through they would have come after him, so his staying had little bearing on the outcome.
    Also in regards to what he did with Pittston if I remember correctly after he's done she says something along the lines of how she's empty now (i could be wrong it's been a while) That made me think of it as his using the guns as a way to force/kill whatever the MIB put in her. How he did it might have been questionable, but the guns touching her where it was put in maybe was the way to kill it.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Random321321 View Post
    Regardless of the technical explanation, there's more than a tinge of sexual violence there, no?
    I never thought of it as 'sexual' violence. I just saw it as the way Roland had to remove the demon Marten left in her.

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    I never thought of it as 'sexual' violence. I just saw it as the way Roland had to remove the demon Marten left in her.
    I.e. the technical explanation. You don't find anything 'sexual' about shoving a giant gun up a woman's vagina? Really?

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I.e. the technical explanation. You don't find anything 'sexual' about shoving a giant gun up a woman's vagina? Really?
    No, not really. He was trying to kill the demon.

No, not really. He was trying to kill the demon.
    <shrug>

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BeDaN View Post
    Wasn't the trap pretty much set up to go off when he was leaving town? So whether he went earlier or later whenever he left it would go down.
    Tull was batsh*t crazy! This was an intense point of the book and all the insight has been interesting but this is how I view Tull.Roland knew it was bad news from the moment he walked into that f'd up enchanted town but the road was long so he decided to get some grub,some drink and some lovin'... after all he knew it was going to hell from the moment he sat down at that bar and found out the man in black was there doing his parlor tricks.That town was coming at him with everything they had even if he had left on the first day because the trap had been set...he was the interloper.Why did sai King draw the scene out in the way he did?....because it's a story that needs full pages.Like it or not that scene stuck with you for awhile after you read it and it left a strong enough impression that it had a whole thread dedicated to it so I think King achieved what he was going for at 22 years old and that's to get in your head and mine.Job well done.
    Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan79 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeDaN View Post
    Wasn't the trap pretty much set up to go off when he was leaving town? So whether he went earlier or later whenever he left it would go down.
    Tull was batsh*t crazy! This was an intense point of the book and all the insight has been interesting but this is how I view Tull.Roland knew it was bad news from the moment he walked into that f'd up enchanted town but the road was long so he decided to get some grub,some drink and some lovin'... after all he knew it was going to hell from the moment he sat down at that bar and found out the man in black was there doing his parlor tricks.That town was coming at him with everything they had even if he had left on the first day because the trap had been set...he was the interloper.Why did sai King draw the scene out in the way he did?....because it's a story that needs full pages.Like it or not that scene stuck with you for awhile after you read it and it left a strong enough impression that it had a whole thread dedicated to it so I think King achieved what he was going for at 22 years old and that's to get in your head and mine.Job well done.

Very good points!! Now, if only you weren't a "Red Sux" fan..... LOL

BTW, do you have a book collection? If so, how about a "collection thread"? Most of us start slowly and gain speed. Mine can be viewed in my "sig". Join in the fun!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have a collection worth sharing. I buy soft covers and they all have rabbit ears. I did buy the hardcover of "Wind through the keyhole" but no special editions or anything. I have been checking out some of the collections and they are very cool!
    Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

You don't have to have specials to show us your collection. I'm sure we'd all LOVE to see it!

John

Traveler SDZald will become famous soon enough SDZald will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Default The real trap

First let me say I agree with Eddie.

Roland "Ka"
    Eddie "Kaka"

If there is anything I hate about Roland it is is ease at blaming EVERYTHING on Ka.

I go along with another character form another fine Fantasy book Lord of the Rings. When Frodo is doing is typical whining "whoeee is me" routine Gandalf says "so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

That is something I think we can all live by, we may not have control over what choices we have to face in life but we certainly have control over the choices we do make.

Roland KNEW it was a trap yet he made the choice to stay and trip the trap. For me the trap had nothing to do with being forced to kill the entire town. No the trap was the time he spent in that town.

Think about it, Roland was getting very close to the man in black. Yet Roland lingered in Tull for how long days, a week? I say had Roland done the right thing, got supplies, and pulled out of town the very same day, not only would the people of Tull still been alive but just maybe Roland catches the man in black at the way station, which would mean no need to drop Jake.

Roland is NOT a very good guy. He may just be Whites "tool" but the "ends never justify the means" and his single mindedness, putting the Tower above all else to include right and wrong makes him no better then the Crimson King. Ok go ahead start tossing the rocks I am ready

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SDZald View Post
    First let me say I agree with Eddie.

Roland "Ka"
    Eddie "Kaka"

If there is anything I hate about Roland it is is ease at blaming EVERYTHING on Ka.

I go along with another character form another fine Fantasy book Lord of the Rings. When Frodo is doing is typical whining "whoeee is me" routine Gandalf says "so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

That is something I think we can all live by, we may not have control over what choices we have to face in life but we certainly have control over the choices we do make.

Roland KNEW it was a trap yet he made the choice to stay and trip the trap. For me the trap had nothing to do with being forced to kill the entire town. No the trap was the time he spent in that town.

Think about it, Roland was getting very close to the man in black. Yet Roland lingered in Tull for how long days, a week? I say had Roland done the right thing, got supplies, and pulled out of town the very same day, not only would the people of Tull still been alive but just maybe Roland catches the man in black at the way station, which would mean no need to drop Jake.

Roland is NOT a very good guy. He may just be Whites "tool" but the "ends never justify the means" and his single mindedness, putting the Tower above all else to include right and wrong makes him no better then the Crimson King. Ok go ahead start tossing the rocks I am ready
    Roland is and always was... the "anti-hero".... that is the point. So, my good man, I shall throw no stones at you... cause your pretty much right. haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

John F. Kennedy Ross will become famous soon enough

I think Roland stayed in Tull knowing it was a trap because he had to. I think he was obligated to rid the town of whatever the man in black left for him. Its like having a rabid dog attack you and instead of putting it down you kick it and walk away. Chances are it will come back to bite you. I think it was in someway a calculated decision to stay until he knew what/who the trap was. He knew he was getting close to the Man in Black. He didnt know how close or if maybe he was actually there as part of this trap.

Also, and this might be for another thread, but I think that if/when they make the movie, the scene(s) in Tull will be a major part of it. I can already picture the action sequence of Roland creating the zig zag line of bodies as he moves from main street into the barber shop and out the back. The close up shots of him reloading his gun at insane speed. That and scene when Roland goes into the cellar at the weigh station to get the canned food and speaks to the "talking demon".

Traveler R. Stewart will become famous soon enough

I had just finished "The Little Sisters of Eluria", so the incident at Tull seemed familiar - a doomed town that seemed nearly impossible to escape from.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R. Stewart View Post
    I had just finished "The Little Sisters of Eluria", so the incident at Tull seemed familiar - a doomed town that seemed nearly impossible to escape from.
    You wouldn't be Rod "The Mod" Stewart?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Stewart View Post
    You wouldn't be Rod "The Mod" Stewart?
    Jon is back!

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tull was a necessary evil for Roland! He couldn't leave anything to chance... the trap was set and if he left it could have come from behind as he entered the desert with nowhere to hide... I did find it highly sexualy charged, with his sexual encounter with the bar keep (forgotten her name right now) and the preacher woman! But the demon the MiB left behind is more my interest. Would it have been a Mordred type demon or something more like the sex demon's we got to know of in the circles??? As we know Roland was obsessed with the tower and for good reason, the whole of (his) mankind depended on it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6