+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite "Childhood" Books

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Your Favorite "Childhood" Books

I hope this is where this would go.
    I put childhood in quotations because I want the books to be ones that are considered to be for children. I know some of us were reading Sai King when we were like 8 or 9 but I'm not sure a lot of people would consider his books child friendly. I've been an avid reader since I first learned how so I have a few:

The Phantom Tollbooth- Amazing story. Great for kids that can understand what it means
    The Little Prince- I've read it in both French and English. It's fully of allegory. And it makes this list for me because it's considered a children's book, but I really didn't read it until I was in like 11th or 12th grade. You should definitely reread it as an adult if you did when you were a child.
    The Julie of the Wolves Series- I love wolves and this is probably my only favorite that was really just what it seemed. A story about a girl in Alaska that lives with a pack of wolves for a time. It was a three book series.

Ok.. those are my top 3... You can pick more or less if you have a hard time choosing, but please don't pick over 5 lol..

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

my side of the mountain. another great series by Jean C George

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a kid I used to love reading The Famous Five books by Enid Blyton. Five on Finniston Farm was my favorite and must of read it dozens of times. Must look for it and read it again. Has to be at least 30 years since I last read it. God I'm getting old .

John F. Kennedy Archangel(tjk) is on a distinguished road Archangel(tjk)'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would have to say the Hobbit, THe BFG by Dahl and a wrinkle in time

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Eight Cousins, by Louisa May Alcott. I have no idea why, but I loved that book.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Holy shit, weird timing for this thread...I just found a book on eBay that I have been looking for for a long time. One from my childhood that it turns out is out of print now and nobody seems to remember it.

Uncle Wiggily and the Runaway Cheese.

I've ordered two, so I can give one to my goddaughter to have.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I was all Judy Blume and SE Hinton

Rumble Fish!!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I was in the "tween" age, I really dug The Hardy Boys.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

S E Hinton! *gives Matt some skin* Rumblefish was awesome, although my favourite will always be The Outsiders. That Was Then, This Is Now is also excellent.
    I once wrote a short story for an English assignment that my teacher gave me an A for and wrote the comment "reminiscent of S E Hinton" and it was my best compliment ever

Where The Wild Things Are is my favourite picture book story. Later on I was pretty much hooked on anything by Diana Wynne Jones.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

The Phantom Tollbooth is definitely my favorite book from my childhood.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally forgot about Judy Blume and S.E. Hinton. Both are excellent!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Judy Blume I remember Forever was the most checked out book in the school library

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Kinship!!

Those two really defined my early reading experience, it wasn't a few years after that when King grabbed me for good.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Mine and your love of The Phantom Tollbooth that was stated in the fottergrafs thread is what inspired this one

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Judy Blume I remember Forever was the most checked out book in the school library
    I was in Catholic school when that came out - it was passed around among the girls like contraband in the prison yard.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My school was totally liberal, but even so you were sworn by everyone on the waiting list for it not to let the teachers look at it.
    Shit, if you'd have been responsible for that getting confiscated you'd have been lynched

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Mine and your love of The Phantom Tollbooth that was stated in the fottergrafs thread is what inspired this one
    I'm just glad to encounter more people who've read it. For such a great book I've not met/spoken to very many others who read it. I've actually bought a couple of copies over the years for friends with kids so they can read it.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Cat in the Hat

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

The Hobbit and The House of Seven Gables were the books I read most often, but I didn't really read a lot of "kids" books when I was younger. If it wasn't for school it was usually something my mom had read (like something by King). I did really like Nancy Drew books for a while when I was like, 7.

Country
    Country Flag

oh oh.. how could i forget? I LOVED the Boxcar Children.. read as many of them as I could find.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Anything Goosebumps by R.L Stine.

Country
    Country Flag

I like the Fear Street stuff better than Goosebumps

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Fear Street! I remember those. Definitely better than Goosebumps.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yay! Some Fear St. fans. I loved those books.

And pretty much anything by Dr. Seuss is great.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    And pretty much anything by Dr. Seuss is great.
    Amen to that. I always loved those....

Only real problem with them is translating.... Hard to keep the rhythm and rhyme scheme--but it's been done.

Anyway, the rhythm and rhyme help you to remember the exact wording.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast