Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Takashi Miike and Sion Sono

Traveler iscream22 is on a distinguished road iscream22's Avatar

Default Takashi Miike and Sion Sono

Well thats my nickname for Takashi Miike anyways.
    Takshi Miike is a very talented Asain filmmaker who produces acclaimed yet often controversial japanese films at an alarming rate. Hes directed something like 60 films since 1991!!!!)

His most famous films are Ichi The Killer:
    Very fast paced, yet cartoonishly gory and violent (more than Kill Bill!) japanese mafia (Yakuza) tale that has all kinds of nice stuff like s and m, and all kinds of torture and surreal scenes (its not TOO gross because its cartoonish).

Audition is another well acclaimed one that has a wild ending (its easily available you should be able to find these two at your blockbuster)

The rest should be available on netflix

Gozu is another film and its less violent but more surreal like a David Lynch film. I highly reccomend this one.

He also has the Dead Or Alive series which is more yakuza stories. DOA1 sucks and i advise not to watch if you do just note the beginning scene and the last scene.

DOA 2 is a great film that has nothing to do with the 1st one.

DOA Final is a sci fi cyberpunk tale with the same 2 lead actors from the other 2 doa movies. (all three are available in a 3 pack on amazon)

Izo is just ok film

Happiness of the katakuris is a like a crazy japanese variety show almost. Its a story that has claymation, zombies, musical numbers, suicides, and all other kinds of goodies.

Sukiyaki Western Django (Neo western, and it stars quentin tarantino!)

I know im raving about Takashi Miike. But he really is a very original and creative and wild director. I reccomend to everyone on the board because i know you all are very open minded because you also read the coolest wildest book series on the planet!

Look up the titles on wikipedia.org or imdb.com for more info on the films.

Let me know what you all think of the films if you guys see them (or if you already have seen some of them).

Long days and pleasent nights my friends!
    iscream22

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I love Ichi the Killer (so much so that I own it), Audition, and his Masters of Horror offering Imprint. I love his work. Miike takes chances with controversial and extreme subjects, and he pulls it off every time. I plan to see more of his movies, but I have to space them out. Mr. Woofer is not a fan.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You forgot Visitor Q... talk about weird
    I really like Miike.. he also did one short film in the anthology type movies Three Extremes.. I think it was called the Box.. I've seen Audition and it was really creepy especially
    Spoiler:
    with the dog-person and how she threw up in the bowl and gave it to him to eat..
    ugh.. i almost threw up myself.

Visitor Q has everything that isn't supposed to happen in it... parent beating, incest, necrophilia... gosh.. and i'm kinda sick cuz the only part that really disturbed me was when
    Spoiler:
    the son was wallowing around on the floor in a pool of his mother's breast milk..
    *shudder*

Yes! Let's discuss!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Ahh, yeah. I've heard of it, but I've not seen it yet. Guess that's another for the old Netflix queue. Thanks for the reminder, Beam!

I understand that in Audition
    Spoiler:
    the actress really threw up in that bowl.
    Nice.

Cool Kakihara emoticon by demonsisera on deviantart.com:

Country
    Country Flag

idk... i mean
    Spoiler:
    it didn't look like anything i've ever thrown up.. it was kinda soupy...
    ... but yes definitely check out Visitor Q... talk about twisted.. and i want to get other people's opinions on who Visitor Q "was"

My Mood
    Worried

It reminded me of
    Spoiler:
    baby burp up after a feeding.

I know IMDB can be questionable, but according the trivia on the movie
    Spoiler:
    SPOILER: The dog bowl of vomit fed to Asami's (Eihi Shiina) prisoner is in fact the actual vomit of actress Eihi. Takashi Miike claims that Eihi is a method actress and insisted on doing this.

Country
    Country Flag

yeah i saw that too... i wonder what she ate...

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

John F. Kennedy Hornet of Death is on a distinguished road Hornet of Death's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fact is some movies from him I hate other are just so surreal and mad that it isn't possible not to like them.

But I really hate a few of this movies. HATE. Izo was so f**ked up.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Did he do City of Violence?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, and I was happy to find an old thread on Miike. So, bump! But I also wanted to include Sion Sono in the conversation. I think these two guys are two of the best modern Japanese filmmakers today (certainly two of the most unique). I would also single out Hirokazu Koreeda, of course. But for the purposes of this thread I just wanted to get some Miike/Sono discussion going and hoping more folks check out their stuff, if they're unfamiliar.

I haven't seen as much as I would like, mainly because their movies are not always very easy to find (with English subtitles) and they're both so damn prolific, but everything of theirs that I've seen I pretty much loved or appreciated.

Wikipedia has two rather lengthy lists of these men's filmographies, so I've been slowly making my way through:

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah that's certainly one of the top Miike films. I have a very old DVD edition so I should probably upgrade to the latest blu-Ray version. As for Sono's work, my top one would likely be Cold Fish, one of my favorite films of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Did he do City of Violence?
    No that was Ryoo Seung-Wan.

Country
    Country Flag

What I love about both Miike and Sono is that they both have done their share of shocking movies but both have also done very varied movies as well, like crime movies, dramas, historical epics, comedies, sci-fi, etc. Both very versatile but very crazy guys.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ichi The Killer is still one of the most awesomely fucked up movies I've ever seen. I fell in love with Takashi right from the get go. Even his more reserved efforts like 13 Assassins are visual treats.

I watched Cold Fish on your recommendation Pablo and I absolutely loved it. Asian cinema is free of restrictions and taboos in ways that American films can never be and this one is no different.

I'll check out more of his stuff when I get the chance.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Just to underscore the prolificacy and variety of these two highly talented gentlemen here are 10 trailers each for their movies since 2010! Not all are subtitled, sadly.

Takashi Miike:

Hara-Kiri (2011)

For Love's Sake (2012)

Lesson of the Evil (2012)

Shield of Straw (2013)

The Mole Song: Undercover Agent Reiji (2013)

Over Your Dead Body (2014)

As the Gods Will (2014)

Lion Standing Against the Wind (2015)

Yakuza Apocalypse (2015)

Terra Formars (2016)

Sion Sono:

Guilty of Romance (2011)

Himizu (2011)

The Land of Hope (2012)

Why Don't You Play in Hell? (2013)

Tokyo Tribes (2014)

Shinjuku Swan (2015)

Love & Peace (2015)

Tag (2015)

The Whispering Star (2015)

The Virgin Psychics (2015)

Country
    Country Flag

New Sono picture:

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, right after a trailer for a new Sono movie comes a tiny teaser for the new Miike movie "Blade of the Immortal":

Country
    Country Flag

Sono is back:

And he's doing an original series for Amazon Prime Japan (hope we get it, too): http://variety.com/2017/digital/asia...el-1202393083/

Plus here's the full trailer for Miike's Blade of the Immortal above:

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast