Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Dark Tower music and such ::SPOILERS::

John F. Kennedy lonely_cube is on a distinguished road

I like his work, and I'd love for him to finish his CotT stuff (and possibly go on to the rest of the series, eventually), but I'm not sure what you're asking me to do.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think he's wrapped up in a bunch of other stuff right now, but he is a member of the site if you want to PM him and tell him what you think of his stuff.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

John F. Kennedy lonely_cube is on a distinguished road

I can do that.

More on topic, I find the songs Blackened, by Metallica, and the Jimi Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower, written by Bob Dylan, remind me a lot of the series. The end of Blackened reminds me of the very end of the series, when Roland realizes hes looping back to the desert. All Along the Watchtower just generally has the same mood as the series, IMO. And it really doesn't have anything to do with the name

Along the Path of the Beam LovesSweetExile is on a distinguished road

Default Songs that remind you of The Dark Tower

I never before made the connection, but recently listening to Red Right Hand by Nick Cave kind of gives off an image, here are some of the lyrics:

Take a litle walk to the edge of town
    Go across the tracks
    Where the viaduct looms,
    like a bird of doom
    As it shifts and cracks
    Where secrets lie in the border fires,
    in the humming wires
    Hey man, you know
    you're never coming back
    Past the square, past the bridge,
    past the mills, past the stacks
    On a gathering storm comes
    a tall handsome man
    In a dusty black coat with
    a red right hand

He'll wrap you in his arms,
    tell you that you've been a good boy
    He'll rekindle all the dreams
    it took you a lifetime to destroy
    He'll reach deep into the hole,
    heal your shrinking soul
    Hey buddy, you know you're
    never ever coming back
    He's a god, he's a man,
    he's a ghost, he's a guru
    They're whispering his name
    through this disappearing land
    But hidden in his coat
    is a red right hand

The first verse makes me think of Lud, or rather, just before they reach it, as the bridge they cross is falling apart (shifts and cracks) the 'humming wires' sounds like the slo trans underground engine.

Its hard to determine if the person refereed to in this song could be either Roland or Flagg, as Roland is tall and handsome, and I assume wears a dusty black coat, where as Flagg, who creates 'the gathering storm', could also be The Red Kings 'red right hand'.

Obviously its not about the Dark Tower, its just cool you can associate it with the imagery.
    Anyone else know any good tunes that have possible DT connections besides the obvious songs by Demons and Wizards?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

thank you for posting, LovesSweetExile!

this thread is going to be merged with this one:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=3261

in a couple of days, ok?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Whenever I hear Broken by Evanescence I think of the dark tower.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default "A Place In The Sun"

Like a long lonely stream
    I keep runnin' towards a dream
    Movin' on, movin' on
    Like a branch on a tree
    I keep reachin' to be free
    Movin' on, movin' on

'Cause there's a place in the sun
    Where there's hope for ev'ryone
    Where my poor restless heart's gotta run
    There's a place in the sun
    And before my life is done
    Got to find me a place in the sun

Like an old dusty road
    I get weary from the load
    Movin' on, movin' on
    Like this tired troubled earth
    I've been rollin' since my birth
    Movin' on, movin' on

Where my poor restless heart's gotta run
    And before my life is done
    Got to find me a place in the sun

You know when times are bad
    And you're feeling sad
    I want you to always remember:
    Yes, there's a place in the sun
    Where my poor restless heart's gotta run...

~ Stevie Wonder

Along the Path of the Beam LovesSweetExile is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    thank you for posting, LovesSweetExile!

this thread is going to be merged with this one:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=3261

in a couple of days, ok?
    Sure.

Gunslinger Apprentice Seneschal is on a distinguished road Seneschal's Avatar

Default For any Tool fans...

*SPOILERS THROUGH THE END OF DARK TOWER 3: WASTELANDS*

So my cousin and I made a "pilgrimage" to the actual Dark Tower in New York city. we took all kinds of pictures of the Turtle Bay area and the Tower at 2 Hammerskjold Plaza. It was fun and neat to see all these places in real life. nothing new though, plenty of people have done this.

The address of the Hammerskjold Plaza is the corner of 46th and 2nd avenue. I am a major fan of the band Tool. They have a song called 46 and 2, which some have speculated on the meaning of this song, but none of it sounds correct. The songwriter, Maynard J. Keenan, is notoriously silent and cryptic on the meanings of his songs. So we naturally got excited to see that perhaps there was a connection between this band and the Tower. The question became, when was this address introduced in the book and when did the band write the song?

As it turns out, the address first appears in DT3: Wastelands. In fact, when Jake's mind is split, the song of the rose is what calms him for a brief time and leads him to the vacant lot. Up till this point, Jake is literally going insane. So after re-reading this part of the book and then going back and reading the lyrics to "46 and 2", the whole entire song seems to be about Jake himself.

here is a link to the lyrics: 46 and 2 for those who dont know the song.

There really is so much in there that relates to Jake in that exact moment of the story when his mind is split, and he needs to find the door to his REAL life, his right life.

anyway, if you are a fan of both, this cannot be ignored.
    Time is a face on the water.

Traveler JacobChambers is on a distinguished road

I love this song....but it is cleary about the evolution of man kind....and stepping through your shadow self (as Carl Jung explains in his theory). Not being an internet loser and shooting you down, cause who knows...but it's pretty widely believed.

Check out the song by Billy Talent called "surrender" it always reminds me of Roland and his quest for the Tower

yea, i have read that explanation before along with the Carl Jung theory too. and i agree that's a more likely explanation, but...

i like mine better

and i mean, you could even pull all of that into it if you really wanted. 46 and 2, elightened consciousness, "super human" being... coincidental that a representation of the nexus of all existence is at that matching address?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the evolution theory has pretty definitively been nailed down as the idea behind the song. Especially given Danny's beliefs in sacred geometry. This theory is outlined in a book the band recommended on their 1994 newsletter called Nothing in This Book is True, but It's Exactly How Things Are by Bob Frissell.

According to this book, in order for any new species to come about, a new geometric plane must be produced. Also, according to this book a new plane (the "Christ-Consciousness" plane) was created in 1989. This would allow the human race to evolve to the 46 and 2 chromosomal level, and provide "Us" with christlike powers.

Although the address is interesting. It's kinda cool to think of the song from that perspective.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I personally never drew any connections between that awesome song and that awesome part of TDT. Its interesting to think about, though.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

Traveler JakeFatal is on a distinguished road

Default The Lobstrosities

hey theres this band from the area im from that does songs all about the dark tower, they're broken up now which is sad but i had the chance to see them at a reunion show and they were great. being into the dark tower and a punk musician myself i find this very sufficient in bringing the dark tower world to life. just thought you other junkies would like it too. this cd took me years to track down and its their only full release and thought some would enjoy it

http://www.mediafire.com/?w7rmd0rsw95gwda

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JakeFatal View Post
    hey theres this band from the area im from that does songs all about the dark tower, they're broken up now which is sad but i had the chance to see them at a reunion show and they were great. being into the dark tower and a punk musician myself i find this very sufficient in bringing the dark tower world to life. just thought you other junkies would like it too. this cd took me years to track down and its their only full release and thought some would enjoy it

http://www.mediafire.com/?w7rmd0rsw95gwda
    Welcome to the site!
    Thanks a lot for sharing.

Roland would have understood.

no problem, i love sharing with all my fellow junkies. IMO the best songs on there are gasher, John Farson, Charyou Tree, Way station, and all hail

for those of you who dont want to venture out and download the whole album

heres a video from the show i was at with them playing one of my favorite songs "Charyou tree"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1gYtCNiO_4

Traveler betkho is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody!! I’ve read The Dark Tower story... I’ve never read a story better than this. Such big, interesting, sad and dark world inspires me. I am a composer and musician, and I want to show those who’s read and loved this story (and to dear Mr. Stephen King - if he visits this board) one of my compositions, which I dedicated to Roland.

http://soundcloud.com/catchtheclouds...ast-gunslinger

Traveler betkho is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody!! I’ve read The Dark Tower story... I’ve never read a story better than this. Such big, interesting, sad and dark world inspires me. I am a composer and musician, and I want to show those who’s read and loved this story (and to dear Mr. Stephen King - if he visits this board) one of my compositions, which I dedicated to Roland.

http://soundcloud.com/catchtheclouds...ast-gunslinger

Traveler Sefear is on a distinguished road Sefear's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Dark Tower Theme Song

So after finishing the series a couple weeks ago I felt it was finally time to man up and join this forum. The Dark Tower is hands down my favorite series out of any other books I've read, and I love the music so I got to thinking. If you could choose a theme song for the series what would it be.

Personally I'd choose Bad Company - Bad Company,
    the song brings chills to my spine every time I hear it after reading the books, it makes me think of Roland and his ka-tet every time. Some other songs I thought were worth bringing up were..
    Turn the Page - Bob Segar,
    Gods Gonna Cut you Down - Johnny Cash
    and after learning about
    Big Spoiler
    I'd make the opening song to the series..
    Song

What songs would you choose?

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Jude of course.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

aint talkin by bob dylan
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hurt
    -Johnny Cash

Gunslinger Apprentice Slender is on a distinguished road

Johnny Cash's 'Hurt' is probably the most thematically fitting song for Roland's journey, but for obvious reasons the filmmakers should definitely try to find a way to incorporate King Crimson's 'In the Court of the Crimson King'. Not to mention The Beatles' 'Hey Jude' and ZZ Top's 'Velcro Fly', which are already woven into the story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast