Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Danville General Discussion *SPOILERS*

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    J and Y, one thing that came to mind upon a recent re read is that Patrick isn't singular like Roland, Stephen King, and Robert Browning. What I mean, is that they darkle and tinct, and we've suggested this statement implies, at least in part, that said characters do not have twinners.

When Roland and Suze are in Fedic, they see the Dark Tower, painted by a Patrick on another level of the tower.

Its just something to think about...
    Actually, since I don't actually remember what you're talking about, I wonder if you might go into greater detail. That's an idea that I find interesting if it's true....

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    J and Y, one thing that came to mind upon a recent re read is that Patrick isn't singular like Roland, Stephen King, and Robert Browning. What I mean, is that they darkle and tinct, and we've suggested this statement implies, at least in part, that said characters do not have twinners.

When Roland and Suze are in Fedic, they see the Dark Tower, painted by a Patrick on another level of the tower.

Its just something to think about...
    Actually, since I don't actually remember what you're talking about, I wonder if you might go into greater detail. That's an idea that I find interesting if it's true....
    Remember when Roland and Susannah are in that office in Fedic in DT 7 before heading under Castle Discordia? They see a painting of the Dark Tower that captivates them, particularly Roland. You know, maybe it was a photograph, but that seems to contradict what Roland says later on...

J and Y, its late here. I promise to get the quote I'm thinking about tomorrow. Roland thinks about Patrick painting the tower and I marked it because I was thinking about your thread. It seemed to strongly imply their were multiple Patricks, but I could be wrong. I apologize for the vague post.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Remember when Roland and Susannah are in that office in Fedic in DT 7 before heading under Castle Discordia? They see a painting of the Dark Tower that captivates them, particularly Roland. You know, maybe it was a photograph, but that seems to contradict what Roland says later on...

J and Y, its late here. I promise to get the quote I'm thinking about tomorrow. Roland thinks about Patrick painting the tower and I marked it because I was thinking about your thread. It seemed to strongly imply their were multiple Patricks, but I could be wrong. I apologize for the vague post.
    I understand perfectly (it's not exactly early here either), and I certainly don't have the book out to look for the quote at the moment. To be honest, I'm surprised you responded so quickly!

Unfortunately I don't remember that part (which is odd since I remember so much from The Dark Tower series, and I finished that volume in May), but if you haven't found the quote you mean by the time I get on tomorrow, I can certainly try to look it up for myself. There's no need to feel obligated on my part--I was just curious.

And I certainly was interested in your idea--you're obviously a more serious scholar of the literature than I am.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Didn't you think she would ask Patrick...

When Susannah realised that Patrick could do anything with an ordinary pen and some paper I was sure like hell that she would ask him to draw her legs so she could walk again.
    Was I the only one to think that?
    Anyway... why did she ask it? It wasn't important for her anymore? I can't imagine it didn't come to her mind when it was my very first thought.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice The King of Kings is on a distinguished road

She was probably just overwhelmed with the idea of being back with Eddy and Jake and didn't even think about it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kes is on a distinguished road Kes's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought that too. I also thought at the end why Roland didn't ask him to draw back his missing hand...Or even draw Oy back alive...

But perhaps there was some internal understanding of Ka or "fate" that stopped them?

Of course I chalked it up to "no time".
    The wrath of the witch-burners is in direct proportion to the comeliness of the witch.
    Clark Ashton Smith

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I didn't understand why Patrick didn't draw himself with a tongue

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I thought she'd ask about resurrecting Eddie and Jake.
    thing is that wouldn't have been possible sicne he'd never seen them.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post

Damn. Good point! Maybe if he ever had a mirror???
    The wrath of the witch-burners is in direct proportion to the comeliness of the witch.
    Clark Ashton Smith

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking that he could just draw a tongue and then eat the paper...that type of funky mojo worked for Suze's festering boil.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe he wasn't food at healing... maybe he had his limits. It would be great to find some answers to these questions because they are quite disturbing.

About drawing Oy alive... I don't think he can bring back animals or people from death. It doesn't matter how much power he has I don't think he can.

Country
    Country Flag

It would seem that if you could take life...
    Spoiler:
    (though we don't know that for sure as CK wasn't exactly "dead"...)

Then couldn't you give life?

Though I agree that his talents did seem to have their limits...
    Clark Ashton Smith

Gunslinger Apprentice Bumbler19 is on a distinguished road

Roland could take life, take life very very well, but i don't think he could ever give life... unless you count giving Jake, Eddie, and Susannah another life after New York... but I think that is just pulling at strings...

I think if Patrick were to draw someone who was dead to life... I don't think it would be them... they would comeback more like a zombie or vampire or something. Or maybe like a Pet Semetary thing....

The idea of resurrection and drawing her legs back for her I think would seem awfully selfish and she understood that and therefore didn't as him. Sure she spoke fondly of having Mia's legs but she also said that she's gotten along fine without em thus far. The only real advantage at the moment to her having legs was so Roland wouldn't have to drag her, but she also had the trike bike thing, and I don't think she was at all in the mood to do Roland any favors at the moment.

Drawing her a doorway wasn't selfish because she Needed to go... She knew as well as Jake, Eddie, and Roland that Roland would be the only one entering the tower, one way or the other.

But yes, I also thought about all of this while reading it... except resurrecting eddie and jake... that didn't cross my mind at all, but resurrecting oy did. Maybe because Patrick never saw eddie or jake at all... In fact when she was sizing up Roland to try and measure the door, I thought she was measuring what her own height would be with legs and attempt to have Patrick draw them in for her.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    Spoiler:
    (though we don't know that for sure as CK wasn't exactly "dead"...)

Because killing is much easier than giving life (in fact giving life is impossible if someone is dead for some hours). It's horrible but true. In fact anyone can kill.. even a bee can kill a human being if they are allergic to it but giving life... that's something very different.

Hile Jokeslinger

I LOLed at that one very well haha.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbler19 View Post
    The idea of resurrection and drawing her legs back for her I think would seem awfully selfish and she understood that and therefore didn't as him.
    Why would it have been that selfish? I am sure Patrick would have been really happy to help Susannah anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post

Why would it have been that selfish? I am sure Patrick would have been really happy to help Susannah anyhow.
    because asking someone with power like that to continue to fix things that they had nothing to do with is basically using them... I don't think she wanted to use him like that...

It is like... you have a friend who is much better off than you... and you both like to go out to eat a lot... once or twice a week... it is like asking them to cover the bill for you EVERY meal just because they have more money, even though you could technically afford it, or just get coffee. That, in my opinion is just not a cool thing to do.

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The idea of resurrection and drawing her legs back for her I think would seem awfully selfish and she understood that and therefore didn't as him.
    She didn't think about such things at all in my opinion. She knew that she must not see the Tower and she knew that she had to get away somehow before they'd reach it.

After realizing what Patrick can do she used the escape rout as soon as possible.

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I would have asked him to
    Spoiler:
    draw the Crimson King down from the balcony so the final battle wouldn't be such a anti-climax

(just putting spoiler tags there to be safe)
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

or

Spoiler:
    draw zflagg back to life so Roland could kill him properly.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hile Jokeslinger

I LOLed at that one very well haha.

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    or

Spoiler:
    draw zflagg back to life so Roland could kill him properly.
    Oh definately, those are my two main (only?) gripes with the series.
    Spoiler:
    you just don't build up the greatest villain ever through 6 books (and many connected) only to have him murdered by a baby spider-man who was born 10 pages ago
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no gripes. I'm just very familiar with those others have.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Modred, period, was a disappointment for me. Perhaps my only disappointment with the series.
    Clark Ashton Smith

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

When Susannah realised that Patrick could do anything with an ordinary pen and some paper I was sure like hell that she would ask him to draw her legs so she could walk again.
    Was I the only one to think that?
    Anyway... why did she ask it? It wasn't important for her anymore? I can't imagine it didn't come to her mind when it was my very first thought.
    I thought she would ask that, and for Roland's fingers back.

I actually read somewhere that SK actually wrote it where Roland got his fingers back, but that the editors told him that that would be too cheesy and deus ex machina. I myself think that it was only logical for Patrick to make them whole, but I understand the editors. It would have turned alot of people off of the ending, which was going to be controversial regardless.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast