Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Blue Eyes

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't know that was you either!

We totally should have people tell if they have/had other online aliases in the Intro thread. I feel so lost. I suppose it might help though if I knew/remembered people's real first names.

You do have Blue eyes!

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyGan View Post
    I noticed in the comic that Steven and Gabrielle both had brown eyes. Roland ended up with blue eyes.
    An inconsistency then, because in W&G Steven's eyes were described as "furious blue eyes".

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The only place that I have seen that gives a great deal of significance on blue eyes is in Orson Scott Card's The Worthing Saga in which the main character, Jason Worthing, is a telepathic who has striking blue eyes and then breeds a race of telepathics who all have those same blue eyes. It is used as a marker for them throughout the book.

I don't know that they necessarily refer to an alliance in the DT series, but I certainly would say that they coincide with great strength.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is my opinion ONLY, but blue eyes tend to stand out more, some are even described as "piercing" (for the record I've never heard of brown eyes being "piercing")...so they do tend to stand out as a descriptive trait, especially when attempting to create a mental image of how a character should look.

And they do seem to reflect some sort of innocence because most white babies are born with blue eyes only to have them change within the first couple of months.

That being said, I too have blue eyes, but I'm attracted to green eyes (green is more exotic to me)
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I believe it said that Tick Tock Man's green eyes were "piercing".
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, remember The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham - all of the psychic children were fair skinned with blue eyes.

*winks at Daghain with a green eye* I agree with what you've said, that blue eyes are probably more of a visual literary icon if nothing else.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine run from hazel to green. Depends a lot on what color I'm wearing.

And Jean, I believe the word you're looking for is recessive. If I remember my 8th grade science correctly, blue eyes are a recessive gene, which makes them less likely to occur, especially if neither parent has blue eyes.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

exactly!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I am in love with brown eyes so I am not much into blue ones. *shrug*

Roland would have understood.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine are a deep hazel that seem to get greener depending on what I am wearing. Dora always buys me dark green shirts because she loves it so much.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

DBF's eyes are a medium blue, but if you put him in a navy shirt, they look like sapphire, almost. Really dark and brilliant. (Don't tell him I said that, he'll get a big head LOL).

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

And Jean, I believe the word you're looking for is recessive. If I remember my 8th grade science correctly, blue eyes are a recessive gene, which makes them less likely to occur, especially if neither parent has blue eyes.
    Like i mentioned in my little genetics lesson earlier in the thread, brown eyes dominate over blue eyes - a person needs two blue eyes genes to physically show blue eyes, whereas for brown eyes you can either have two brown eye genes or one brown eye and one blue eye gene - both will have a brown eye phenotype.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

"one brown eye"

I am so immature.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You won't get an argument out of me.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

Like i mentioned in my little genetics lesson earlier in the thread, brown eyes dominate over blue eyes - a person needs two blue eyes genes to physically show blue eyes, whereas for brown eyes you can either have two brown eye genes or one brown eye and one blue eye gene - both will have a brown eye phenotype.
    Oh I loved learning this stuff at school so much.
    I am not crazy about my blue eyes I mean I do prefer brown ones as I have mentioned it before as well but when my biology teacher mentioned that one day (far in the future) blue eyes would vanish from this Earth because brown eyes dominated... I felt unique for some minutes.
    I felt as if I was a unique survivor. But it took only some moments.

Roland would have understood.

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Oh I loved learning this stuff at school so much.
    Me too, it was about the only thing in Biology that I understood.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Country
    Country Flag

Wikipedia has some good info on eye colour genetics.

Gunslinger Apprentice Samanthita is on a distinguished road

First, I can not even describe my eye color. They are sometimes blue, green, brown, grey, but usually a mix of 2 or 3 of those. I have no idea. I'd like to know what genetics went into that. I usually just call them green to keep from confusing people.

Someone showed me this artice a few weeks ago. I found it interesting. I doubt it has anything to do with why the series has so many blue-eyes people, but it seems like it could work.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22934464/

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samanthita View Post
    First, I can not even describe my eye color. They are sometimes blue, green, brown, grey, but usually a mix of 2 or 3 of those. I have no idea. I'd like to know what genetics went into that. I usually just call them green to keep from confusing people.

Someone showed me this artice a few weeks ago. I found it interesting. I doubt it has anything to do with why the series has so many blue-eyes people, but it seems like it could work.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22934464/
    I hear ya sister. Mine are both blue and green. Depending on what I'm wearing they look like they are one or the other.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Antonius from Spartacus.. the original one played by Tony Curtis...
    Dr. Leonard McCoy played by DeForrest Kelley on the original Star Trek.

Yuuummm..

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Oh and for you boys

Dana Scully played by Gillian Anderson on the X-files

They had blue but if you want to talk about green (my personal favorite)

we're gonna talk about

FOX MULDER - DAVID DUCHOVNY FROM THE X-FILES

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I hear ya sister. Mine are both blue and green. Depending on what I'm wearing they look like they are one or the other.
    just one more thing we have in common matthew. mine do the same thing. they default to a pale blue, but if i wear green they are green with a little blue, if i wear blue they are blue with a little green. it's a neat trick.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    just one more thing we have in common matthew. mine do the same thing. they default to a pale blue, but if i wear green they are green with a little blue, if i wear blue they are blue with a little green. it's a neat trick.
    I'll join that club, green to blue, and even gray depending on the cloths and weather.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Blue eyes=heroes

Me=hero

lol jk

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

did anyone see 10,000 BC? the blue eyed girl was an omen of sorts.. the persians (?) called her a witch.. i'm imagining because of her eye color. i've always been attracted to dark eyes, but dark hair with blue eyes is so hypnotizing. i have really dark brown eyes that are almost black. maybe that means i'm evil

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast