Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Philip K. Dick thread

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Philip K. Dick thread

I hope this hasn't been done already.. If it has I cry everyone's pardon.

So... Phillip K. Dick anyone? I haven't readed everything, but I did read A Scanner Darkly (excellent) and The Divine Invasion (i think lol).. Now from what I hear he was on some serious drugs and I think what I've read so far of his reflects that. Anybody? Anybody? lol Comments?

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My boyfriend loves this guy to the point that it's a little unnatural.

I haven't read anything yet, but I'm trying to get him to lend me something. It's only taking so long because he's deliberating so hard on which one to give me first.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep(Blade Runner to the movie buffs).

Really good book and ive yet to see the movie.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I love DADES but my favorite Philip K. book is Voices From the Street. It isn't sci-fi but i adore it. It was written in the early 50s but it wasn't released until last year. I also really like Dr. Bloodmoney.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Matt just had me watch Total Recall.

I think the best part of that movie was finally understanding the end of the South Park "Asspen" episode. Nah, seriously, it was ok. Not fantastic, but not completely awful. Also, Ahnold didn't totally piss me off.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

this is sarajean's most favorite author. She'll be so excited when I tell her that a thread has been started in his honor.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I highly recommend the hardcover omnibus released by LOA: http://totaldickhead.blogspot.com/20...ling-ever.html

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    I hope this hasn't been done already.. If it has I cry everyone's pardon.

So... Phillip K. Dick anyone? I haven't readed everything, but I did read A Scanner Darkly (excellent) and The Divine Invasion (i think lol).. Now from what I hear he was on some serious drugs and I think what I've read so far of his reflects that. Anybody? Anybody? lol Comments?
    I have a collection of PKD stories on audio: Minority Report, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, Paycheck, and others.
    Very good stories, imho.

I haven't heard that he was on serious drugs while writing,
    but if he was, it must have been some seriously good stuff...
    the stories I've read were great reading.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well A Scanner Darkly is about drugs and it's dedicated to all his friends that died from drugs.. I believe there was something the intro or the afterward or something like that where he talked about it. Made me believe he did them too... I also heard rumor that they had something to do with how he died, but don't quote me on that.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I love VALIS and Ubik.

Country
    Country Flag

I just watched Blade Runner with Matt... I was kind of unimpressed. It was too long, too slow, and too fucking dark, I couldn't see what was going on. I also found it kind of predictable.

I also just finished reading The Man in the High Castle... it was interesting, but the ideas in it aren't exactly original. I pretty much liked it, though.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is the only book I've read so far by PKD but do intend to read more of his as I loved it. Different from the film but its years since I've seen it. Must look for it on DVD.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post
    I just watched Blade Runner with Matt... I was kind of unimpressed. It was too long, too slow, and too fucking dark, I couldn't see what was going on. I also found it kind of predictable.

I also just finished reading The Man in the High Castle... it was interesting, but the ideas in it aren't exactly original. I pretty much liked it, though.
    Blade Runner was way too slow.

But I think the ideas in The Man in The High Castle are, or were, original, as it's pretty much credited with starting the whole "alternate history" thing.

Country
    Country Flag

Just one question about tMitHC:

Spoiler:
    Did Juliana really swallow that razor blade? Because that would probably kill you pretty horribly.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Sarah - I checked out the description of TMITHC over at Amazon.com, looks interesting. How many pages is it?

Country
    Country Flag

Not that long... it's about as wide as my thumb.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post
    Not that long... it's about as wide as my thumb.
    You are the Queen of Things That Can Easily Be Taken Out Of Context!

Country
    Country Flag

I hate you. Can you take that out of context?

Ok, maybe 300 pages? I'm too lazy to go upstairs.

DON'T TAKE THAT OUT OF CONTEXT!

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I finally went upstairs and checked. Matt's copy is 259 pages long. So there.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So that's how long it is.

Country
    Country Flag

I hate you so, so much.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

No you dont

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I am deeply enjoying The Man In The High Castle.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Phillip K. Dick is ok, but I never got deep into his writing. I HAVE enjoyed Frank Herbert and Robert Heinlein greatly though. DUNE changed my outlook on life and affects me still, as did STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND and STARSHIP TROOPERS.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always been a great Robert A. Heinlein fan. My favorite from him is Time Enough for Love.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast