Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Christine - Let's Discuss! - *SPOILERS*

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

It's been awhile since I read the book but I agree about it being a really sad story. Arnie being betrayed by Dennis and Leigh. Arnie fighting for control at the very end before the wreck with his mother. Dennis and Leigh not being able to stay together because of the memories of what happened.

Yes to all the things you mentioned, especially the part about Arnie fighting for control at the end. I went into the book expecting Arnie to die, but became a little hopeful closer to the end, thinking he may become strong enough to overpower Lebay. It was pretty sad.

I find that a lot of King's books have more sad moments that actual scary moments
    I know. That's why I keep jumping into his stories. I know that I am always guaranteed all these layers and story with his books. To be honest, I don't even think there are that many King books that I classify as horror. They're so much more than that.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I find that a lot of King's books have more sad moments that actual scary moments
    I know. That's why I keep jumping into his stories. I know that I am always guaranteed all these layers and story with his books. To be honest, I don't even think there are that many King books that I classify as horror. They're so much more than that.
    Completely agree. Some of his earlier books like Christine are his best work. There are these heartbreaking themes below the surface of the story. The Dead Zone comes to mind. Cujo as well. All superb writing and storytelling.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Completely agree. Some of his earlier books like Christine are his best work. There are these heartbreaking themes below the surface of the story. The Dead Zone comes to mind.
    I know I've said it an other threads, but The Dead Zone is one of my favorite King books.

Cujo as well. All superb writing and storytelling.
    Cujo was my first King book, and I don't remember much about it now. I would really like to go back and read it, but I'm genuinely scared to since it revolves around a mother and child. I have a hard time reading stories about the loss of a child since becoming a parent. This is why I've stayed away from Pet Sematary, even though it kills me to know there is a King book out there that I've not read. Sadly, I could maybe handle some authors' books, but King is just so good at his storytelling that it impacts me more.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Completely agree. Some of his earlier books like Christine are his best work. There are these heartbreaking themes below the surface of the story. The Dead Zone comes to mind.
    I know I've said it an other threads, but The Dead Zone is one of my favorite King books.

Cujo as well. All superb writing and storytelling.
    Cujo was my first King book, and I don't remember much about it now. I would really like to go back and read it, but I'm genuinely scared to since it revolves around a mother and child. I have a hard time reading stories about the loss of a child since becoming a parent. This is why I've stayed away from Pet Sematary, even though it kills me to know there is a King book out there that I've not read. Sadly, I could maybe handle some authors' books, but King is just so good at his storytelling that it impacts me more.
    Yea, as a parent and an animal lover, Pet Semetary was hard to read at times.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a hard time reading stories about the loss of a child since becoming a parent. This is why I've stayed away from Pet Sematary, even though it kills me to know there is a King book out there that I've not read.
    Hold up. You haven't read Pet Sematary?!

Then again, if you have a hard time reading about the loss of a child, PS is going to destroy you.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Christine - Let's Discuss! - *SPOILERS*

Based on that then I can understand why you haven't read PS. If you're resistant to it for those reasons it makes sense.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

PS is a really hard read for anyone that has had children. I'm pretty sure I have never read it again since I picked up one of my kids shoes from the front lawn. The whole scene just flooded back and I was literally in tears.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Christine. One of the few books that I've reread. King is definitely at his best when the supernatural seeps into the real world just a bit.

Probably misquoting the crap out of this but I believe that King himself thought PS was a little to dark for his taste. Very sad but a great read all the same.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the link to The Losers Club podcast discussion of the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podca...-50-christine/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2