Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Military anyone?

John F. Kennedy /k/ommando is on a distinguished road /k/ommando's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Military anyone?

This summer, I'm going to spend nine weeks at a government-sponsered summer camp... Also known as Basic Training. It is for the Army and will be taking place in Fort Lenord Wood. Anyways, I was just wondering if any of ya'll here have had any experience in being a part of your nation's military and if you have any stories or not.
    Toodles for now.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Very much so. In fact, I did training at Ft Lenord Wood.

Also, my son in law just got done with training there and is now active duty at Ft. Bragg.

You made a bold choice, going into the military. I appreciate your service
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did basic at Ft. Jackson, SC. Enjoy it (really!) you'll probably be in the best shape of your life when your done, and even though it will suck while you're there someday you'll look back and enjoy the memories.

Oh, the best part? - breathing CS gas, it don't get any better than that.

Country
    Country Flag

Thankee sai, Matt.
    Oddly enough, I'm looking forward to the gas chamber. It should be fun.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CPU View Post
    I did basic at Ft. Jackson, SC. Enjoy it (really!) you'll probably be in the best shape of your life when your done, and even though it will suck while you're there someday you'll look back and enjoy the memories.

Oh, the best part? - breathing CS gas, it don't get any better than that.
    And that is the truth, I laughed so hard when my Son in law described his experience. Brought the whole thing back all the way up to the taste in my mouth.

I actually did my basic at Fort Jackson too! Advanced training was at Lenordwood.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    And that is the truth, I laughed so hard when my Son in law described his experience. Brought the whole thing back all the way up to the taste in my mouth.

I actually did my basic at Fort Jackson too! Advanced training was at Lenordwood.
    My AIT is at Arizona in Fort Huachuca (spelling on that? It's an odd word). Where the desert is so hot that the water is sucked directly from your blood! ...or at least, that's what my recruiter would have me believe.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Eeeek!! I bet it is hot out there.

But by the time you are done with Lenordwood, you'll be able to handle anything. They try to break you on that rock.

Country
    Country Flag

Isn't that what Basic is about though? Breaking you apart to build you back together?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Mostly, but I always kept a little of me locked up. They couldn't get it all.

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I was in the NAVY and I did my basic training in Orlando and school in Orlando after that (1990). I got lucky because during school I could drive home
    I was stationed aboard the USS America and worked on the flight deck on Catapult 1 as a holdback/hookup. A holdback is what holds the aircraft to the shuttle on the cat. I have plenty of stories to tell, but my favorite part of that job was hooking F-14's up. As they would approach the cat they would be in a standing position and I would slide in just behind the front tire and as they got closer to the cat they would kneel which would open up the bar that I would connect the holdback up to. Mind you the engine's are turning at the same time so this can be very risky. Also the holdback bar weighs about 80 pounds! But it was fun. I also have a scar on my backside when we were thrown down to the nonskid and slid, ripping the back of my pants and part of my shirt up because one of the handlers wasn't watching what he was doing. My life flashed before my eyes, I thought I was going overboard. I have plenty more but I don't want to bore anyone

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did my AIT at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL. Awesome place! It wasn't quite as fun as jump school at Benning though (ah VD drive and your strip-clubs, how I miss thee )

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

wow /k/ommando.
    thank you.

and thank you to anyone else on the board who is/was serving.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Was in the marines, did basic at Parris Island but I did spend some time in LW...egads it sucked. But don't worry. The location won't matter much in your case because you can't go anywhere anyway. Well...I don't know that for sure. In our boot camp every minute of your day is spoken for and you have no freedom of movement whatsoever. I don't know if it works the same way in the army. But I've heard that the army sends you home over Christmas if you're in boot for that time. I don't know if thats true though. We got a five minute phone call. I can't imagine them actually sending you home.

Anyway, congratulations. You'll learn a lot. And be very proud of what you're doing. Stay away from the nay sayers...the "golly I don't know if I can hack this" type and try to stick to the fast risers. It won't be hard to figure out who they are. And know that everything they do to you in boot is done for a reason, every single little thing.

Along the Path of the Beam special k is on a distinguished road special k's Avatar

i had some of my best times in basic at leonard wood. mout training, goin out shootin everyday during brm, and the best part gettin the livin crap smoked outta ya on a daily basis

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My best friend joined the Navy, and he gave me a picture of him in uniform... when I saw his goofy Navy-issue hat I cracked up, I couldn't help it.

I'm pretty sure that pissed him off.

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

My husband just got out of the Navy. We were stuck in New Orleans for four years. He told me he'd rather be in prison like everyday. DONT DO IT!
    Unless you really want to or need to I guess.

And thanks...

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Its not for everyone, thats for sure. When you join the military you have to accept the fact that you're giving up your freedom. I wouldn't say its quite as bad as being in prison, y'know, no one trying to make you a bitch and what not...on the other hand we are talking about the Navy here...

Gunslinger Apprentice MrsSmeej is on a distinguished road MrsSmeej's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did AOCS at Pensacola and basic flight at Whiting Field in Milton, FL. Had a fabulous time, except that I kept breaking my leg. My favorite memory was of the Navy's precision flight team - The Blue Angels - screaming down the main street at NAS Whiting, breaking three windows in the BOQ. They used to tell people not to think of them as better than others ... We should try to think of them as gods, instead.

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Its not for everyone, thats for sure. When you join the military you have to accept the fact that you're giving up your freedom. I wouldn't say its quite as bad as being in prison, y'know, no one trying to make you a bitch and what not...on the other hand we are talking about the Navy here...
    ha ha yeah thats probably what is was!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post

Semper Fi, my friend.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, didn't realize how many military were here! I am a US Marine. Love it. Mostly. Haha.

My best advice for basic is this: Just like MAtt said, keep a little of yourself locked up. Remember that they are there to fuck with you and it's not personal (usually).

In boot, the whole standing at attn. perfectly still not even blinking thing was HUGE. My DI's could spot a recruit breathing too heavy from a mile away, so while they ranted and raved at us, threatened to kill us and told us over and over again "DON'T YOU MOVE, RECRUIT!! DON'T MOVE A HAIR ON YOU!". I would let myself do something little like flex my big toe in my boot, or wiggle my tongue around.

Yeah, it was petty, and a little silly, looking back. But it sort of made me feel like I was winning, if only for a split second.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.