+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Rereading Diary - where are you? *spoilers*

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished my second time through the series. I found that I was impatient while reading the last book. I knew where I was going and I wanted to get there. The ending still chilled me. Not as much as the first time. That time I just sat with my mouth hanging open for 15 minutes. This time it was maybe 5 minutes.

I'm off to the library to get the first book. My bride is going to give these a chance. I expect she'll make it through half of the third book before she just sorta leaves it alone. Maybe I'll be surprised though.
    Insert witty comment here.

Traveler Fyrehardt is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Actually, I was just thinking...

It's about time for my annual read-through. I go through all 7 books about once a year ever since DT7 came out. This year, of course, I have to add Little Sisters and Wind to the reading list as well, and I'll be taking a suggestion I read on these forums somewhere to read the original Gunslinger at the beginning, and then finish the read-through with the revised Gunslinger.

The kids just started school for the year, so I figure I'll have some time to curl up with a book over the next couple of weeks. So, back on the path of the beam, I say thankya!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrehardt View Post
    It's about time for my annual read-through. I go through all 7 books about once a year ever since DT7 came out. This year, of course, I have to add Little Sisters and Wind to the reading list as well, and I'll be taking a suggestion I read on these forums somewhere to read the original Gunslinger at the beginning, and then finish the read-through with the revised Gunslinger.

The kids just started school for the year, so I figure I'll have some time to curl up with a book over the next couple of weeks. So, back on the path of the beam, I say thankya!
    Wow, so you are a real DT junkie. Welcome to the board.
    When are you planning to read Wind? After book 4?

Roland would have understood.

Traveler Fyrehardt is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post

Well, the tradition started when DT7 came out right after my divorce, and my "celebration of surviving" was curling up at a friend's house for a couple days doing nothing but reading and sleeping while my kids were at their Nana's. So, I do it almost every year now as a mind cleanser/vacation.

I figure I'll read Wind right after DT4 since that's when it fits the timeline. Adding that and the revised DT1 to the end might make the read-through a bit longer this year, but I'm a stay-at-home mom at the moment, so, like I said, I'll be able to find some time while the kids are at school because I barely watch any TV or movies.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, the tradition started when DT7 came out right after my divorce, and my "celebration of surviving" was curling up at a friend's house for a couple days doing nothing but reading and sleeping while my kids were at their Nana's. So, I do it almost every year now as a mind cleanser/vacation.

I figure I'll read Wind right after DT4 since that's when it fits the timeline. Adding that and the revised DT1 to the end might make the read-through a bit longer this year, but I'm a stay-at-home mom at the moment, so, like I said, I'll be able to find some time while the kids are at school because I barely watch any TV or movies.
    That's very impressive. I love to think that I am the biggest DT fan but I have read the series just three times so I think I must hide under the sofa.
    But I am planning to reread it soon.

John F. Kennedy Chantarelle is on a distinguished road

Am about halfway through Book 7. I read Wind earlier this year and was so disappointed that I had to go back to the beginning to make up for it. Amazingly, I still pick up new things with each read through. This time, toward the end of 6, Mia is made to lick Sayre's boots, and I've never until now noticed how similar that is to Sheemie in WaG. Poor Sheemie

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I am in Blaine. Roland is asking riddles currently.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    How many times have you read the series, Melike? Do you read it in English?

Letti, ready to be shocked. This is my second re-read planned to be from beginning to the end. I randomly started and quit, re-read books individually... I am reading in English, for the first time.

Country
    Country Flag

Letti, ready to be shocked. This is my second re-read planned to be from beginning to the end. I randomly started and quit, re-read books individually... I am reading in English, for the first time.
    Oh, I am not that shocked at all. I myself have read it just three times. : )
    And now you are reading it in English, so great. The Hungarian translation is absolutely good but for me it was really ***amazing*** to read it in English. : )

Oh, I am not that shocked at all. I myself have read it just three times. : )
    And now you are reading it in English, so great. The Hungarian translation is absolutely good but for me it was really ***amazing*** to read it in English. : )
    After I read the English version, I realized Turkish version is so dull. Feels like translation ate the soul of the sentences.
    The only Turkish translation I have respect for is Lord of the Rings.

The stand off between the Gunslinger and Big Coffin Hunters at Traveler's Rest... It was the reason why I'd loved this book so much.

After my re-read of Wizard and the Glass, I started to my first read of The Wind Through the Keyhole.
    About re-reading... I've forgotten too many things. And it is a great feeling. Getting surprised again by so many details.
    I've read WatG nearly 10 years before. And it has been one of my favorites of the series, like all other seven books were, from time to time.
    Now, as the ten years older me, I am fascinated with how natural the Rhea's ugliness and darkness is. I never thought Susan's and Roland's love was lame, also was never a fan of it.
    But it is so weird to me how people are likely to call everything "teenage" lame, like they have passed that era directly and skipped to late twenties. Actually, after reading that part again, I saw King is really great at sociology and human psychology at a high levels.

Today I started The Dark Tower.
    Callahan's death was the most touching death for me. I read it today. And decided it remains the same.
    It is so sad to realize how weak the Turkish translation was. It makes me angry when I see some parts have been left out.

I finished my re-read yesterday. It was full of variable emotions again...
    I find the ending much more amazing than I remembered.

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually reading through the Plume edition of THE GUNSLINGER....this will be my 3rd read and about 2nd audio-read. Anyhooo...as good as ever.

Will definitely have to re-listen to the entire series....again here soon.

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

About 140 pages into The Wastelands.

Q : what is the significance of 'Go slow past the Drawers, gunslinger. While you travel with the boy, the man soul travels with your soul in his pocket.'

It's alluded that the Drawers are another name for the Wastelands ... but what does Roland needing to travel slow past them and traveling with Jake have to do with his soul? I feel like I'm missing something crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    About 140 pages into The Wastelands.

Q : what is the significance of 'Go slow past the Drawers, gunslinger. While you travel with the boy, the man soul travels with your soul in his pocket.'

It's alluded that the Drawers are another name for the Wastelands ... but what does Roland needing to travel slow past them and traveling with Jake have to do with his soul? I feel like I'm missing something crucial.
    The Drawers are the Wastelands, but it is also places of desolation as Roland had said.
    Q: "It might mean a trash-midden. It might mean a whorehouse or a place where men came to gamble or chew devil-weed. But the most common meanind that I know in also the simplest. The Drawers are places of desolation, The Drawers are the wastelands."

I always thought in your quote (I believe it is from the gunslinger) it is referred to the place under the mountains where they saw slow mutants.
    The Gunslinger travelling with Jake was Man in Black's plan from the beginning. He knew Roland would have the dilemma: Letting Jake die to catch The Man in Black or letting Man in Black run away to save Jake's life. Either way Man in Black would get what he wanted.
    If Roland would have slowed down to save Jake, Man in Black would be able to get away and make new plans against Roland.
    Roland let Jake go, and caught Man in Black, in the second part of the Wastelands, he saved Jake behind the Pusher's door like Man in Black wanted/guessed/knew and created a paradox. This paradox made Roland sick, insane. Which was Man in Black's real intention. Roland would go mad and wouldn't be a threat to their evil plan about the Dark Tower.
    So Jake was the key to Man in Black's plan of manipulating Roland. Having his soul in his pocket might refer to this.
    But everything serves to Ka, so man in Black did the same putting Jake on Roland's way.

Anyway, I may completely be wrong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting food for thought Melike. I especially like this part ...

So Jake was the key to Man in Black's plan of manipulating Roland. Having his soul in his pocket might refer to this.
    But everything serves to Ka, so man in Black did the same putting Jake on Roland's way.

Country
    Country Flag

Is anybody planning to reread the series this year?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears are always planning, and then something gets in the way!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am strongly considering it. I've only read I - VII once, but last night I was toking and listening to King Crimson and it made me think about Roland and his journey.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I am rereading the series for the 2nd complete read. (I've read the first 4 books several more times) I am at Wolves of Calla. Love it, this and W & G are my two faves. This will actually be the first full time through if you count LSOE and WTTK.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

not actually re-reading but having them read to me. I'm in the car a lot (I do a lot of European travel so end up driving to and from Heathrow airport at least once a week (2 hours there and back))
    Currently back in the Wastelands, having just killed Shardik. The anticipation waiting Jake's school story to begin is just palpable! (Blaine's a train and he's a pain.... ).

I have read the series many times over the years and books 1 - 4 at least 20 times and have listened to them all on audio. This will however be the first audio 'read' back to back that includes WTTKH.

I drove back home last week and actually drove around for another 20 minutes just so I could get to the end of DOTT and Roland making Detta/Odetta face one another!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would love to reread the whole thing.

Unfortunately, just as I was going to do so, a supernatural creature at whom I won't point with my finger, but who is well known around here gave me the key to a superb colleciton of books, thus opening a whole radiant new world, and putting an end to all attempts at massive rereads, sleep, work, or personal life.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast