Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Simmons

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Thread update : I have Hyperion at home waiting for me.

Also bumping this thread for our lovely Girlystevedave. She's looking for a place to start too...

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Go for Summer of Night Amanda! Feev didn't listen to me
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been meaning to get into Dan Simmons since you guys recommended him to me last year. I see the hardcover of Drood everywhere. I mean everywhere. I've almost bought it numerous times. I think it would look great on a shelf, but I just don't know if I would read it. It doesn't exactly seem like something that interests me.

That being said, I should just buy it for a buck 50 and worry about it later.

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm sorry! You know I usually favor sci fi!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Also bumping this thread for our lovely Girlystevedave. She's looking for a place to start too...

Summer of Night is the one I was leaning towards the most. It sounds intriguing. I think it's next on my list.

Edit: Hyperion was the number two on my list. Let me know how it is Fernando.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

Summer of Night is the one I was leaning towards the most. It sounds intriguing. I think it's next on my list.

Edit: Hyperion was the number two on my list. Let me know how it is Fernando.
    Summer of Night is an excellent read, I'm due for a reread of that one soon!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm sorry! You know I usually favor sci fi!
    I know and I forgive you, just as long as you read Summer of Night next

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have been a Simmons fan for a very long time.

If you like science fiction at all, then begin with Hyperion (one of the best sci-fi novels of all time), but be prepared to read the Fall of Hyperion immediately afterward. You can then take a break from the next two, Endymion and Rise of Endymion, as they take place hundreds of years in the future, but when you read them, you will need to read them back to back. Then I would jump all over Carrion Comfort, one of my favorite horror epics of all time - love it! Ilium and Olympos are also a great two book saga, and if you have the time, get a hold of the novella Muse of Fire.

If you are not a sic-fi fan, then begin with Summer of Night followed by Children of the Night, since the second one has some of the same characters. Then work in Carrion Comfort and Song of Kali.

The Hollow Man is a really emotional journey that is well worth taking. The Joe Kurtz series, Hardcase, Hardfreeze, and hard as Nails are great hard boiled detective books in the vein of the Dennis Lehane's Kenzie-Genaro series - love them!

I've gone on too long - there is really not much not to like here!

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

My wife read most of his. She says that Carrion Comfort and Abdominal were her favorites. Drood was her least.
    I loved Children of Night.
    Still waiting on the audio version of Winter Haunting.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I started with Summer of Night recently, then read Song of Kali, Phases of Gravity, and am 2/3 of the way through Carrion Comfort, which is phenomenal! Have loved every one of them, very impressive writer...
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Skip Drood though; terrible book.
    Hate to say this, as I think Simmons is an amazing author who does everything extremely well, from horror to fantasy to science fiction to historical fiction to whatever.
    But Drood....

sk

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Drood, hated Black Hills. Loved pretty much everything else.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I also loved Drood. I didn't care that much for either Black Hills or his latest, Fifth Heart.

John

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I have been a Simmons fan for a very long time.

The Joe Kurtz series, Hardcase, Hardfreeze, and hard as Nails are great hard boiled detective books in the vein of the Dennis Lehane's Kenzie-Genaro series - love them!
    Agreed -- great reads (though the third one of the trilogy doesn't quite live up to the first two)...Simmons has acknowledged (in fact, I think one may be dedicated to Stark/Westlake) that this series is a homage to Richard Stark's (aka Donald Westlake) books featuring the cold, calculating thief Parker.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going to finish up the Southern Reach... Thinking my next book will be Summer of Night... Hope I like it!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, you will, Kris, you will.
    No doubt about it.

sk

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    No doubt about it.

sk
    CITED! I am kinda pushing to finish Southern Reach to be honest.. started SO strong and the second book was BRUTAL... the 3rd is a better read thus far. Listen... would you read the sequel to Summer of Night after?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I didn't care much for A WINTER HAUNTING, the sequel to SUMMER OF NIGHT. Also didn't care for CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT, and FIRES OF EDEN may just be his worst novel. Were I you, I'd start and stop with the SUMMER OF NIGHT, then move on to other terrific works like THE TERROR, CARRION COMFORT, SONG OF KALI, LOVEDEATH, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    No doubt about it.

sk
    CITED! I am kinda pushing to finish Southern Reach to be honest.. started SO strong and the second book was BRUTAL... the 3rd is a better read thus far. Listen... would you read the sequel to Summer of Night after?
    That's the problem I'm having now too. On book 2 at the moment, but it's going very slow. Glad to hear book 3 is better.

As for A Winter Haunting, I completely agree with RC65. I'd skip it, and move onto another book, such as The Terror

Also this thread makes me realize how much Simmons I have to read. I've only read a handful. Maybe if I can hurry up and finish The Southern Reach trilogy I can read some more of his.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    No doubt about it.

sk
    That's the problem I'm having now too. On book 2 at the moment, but it's going very slow. Glad to hear book 3 is better.

As for A Winter Haunting, I completely agree with RC65. I'd skip it, and move onto another book, such as The Terror

Also this thread makes me realize how much Simmons I have to read. I've only read a handful. Maybe if I can hurry up and finish The Southern Reach trilogy I can read some more of his.
    Yeah the 3rd book is better... but the sour taste in my mouth from the 2nd... tough to get back into it. Like did he get someone else to write the 2nd? lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    I didn't care much for A WINTER HAUNTING, the sequel to SUMMER OF NIGHT. Also didn't care for CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT, and FIRES OF EDEN may just be his worst novel. Were I you, I'd start and stop with the SUMMER OF NIGHT, then move on to other terrific works like THE TERROR, CARRION COMFORT, SONG OF KALI, LOVEDEATH, etc.
    I agree with A Winter Haunting. I didn't care for that one at all. I enjoyed Children of the Night okay.

John

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    I agree with A Winter Haunting. I didn't care for that one at all. I enjoyed Children of the Night okay.

John
    Fires of Eden is easily the worst of Simmons' novels. That being said, anyone want a flatsigned one? Cheap?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished A Winter Haunting and it looks like I'm in the minority here - I really liked it! Perhaps it helped that it's been a while since I read 'Summer' so it felt more like a standalone novel (which it is, of course, but you know what I mean). Regardless, I thought it was interesting, well-written and pretty scary at times.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading that next. Bob told me he would highly recommend it so... Going for it!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked A Winter Haunting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast