Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Simmons

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with your opinion of Black Hills. Definitely NOT one of Simmons' better works.

John

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I agree with your opinion of Black Hills. Definitely NOT one of Simmons' better works.

John
    +1

That's definitely not a good first book.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite simmons, without a doubt, is Carrion comfort. really, really good!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I listened to The Black Hills audiobook on a trip the last two days. I was not very impressed. It went on and on and on. There was a lot of background that wasn't necessary to the story. I don't know if I should give him another try. It seems as though Summer of Night is well received here, but if it drones on like The Black Hills, I don't know.
    No, I can assure you it doesn't drone!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    My favorite simmons, without a doubt, is Carrion comfort. really, really good!
    +1

sk

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

“CARRION COMFORT is one of the three greatest horror novels of the 20th century. Simple as that.” —Stephen King

interesting. I'll definitely be reading it soon

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

OK. I have two I am willing to try.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Which ones do you have?

Country
    Country Flag

I read Muse of Fire last month. It's a novella and if the limited from Subterranean is too expensive for you, you can also find it in the anthology The New Space Opera. It's S.F. but it's also very heavy on Shakespeare. Basically, humanity is enslaved and a group of actors is allowed to travel the system and perform Shakespeare. They end up facing a God and having to perform for him. That's the simplified version.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Which ones do you have?
    The only other book I own from him is The Terror. I picked up a while back in paperback for a buck. I get audiobooks from the library and listen while running or driving.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Terror is the one that got me back into reading Simmons again. I really enjoyed that book. (Just don't read it in the Winter!)

John

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Which ones do you have?
    The only other book I own from him is The Terror. I picked up a while back in paperback for a buck. I get audiobooks from the library and listen while running or driving.
    I finished listening to Summer of Night a couple months ago and thought it was great. This was my first Simmons book and it took about 2 discs to get into his style of writing but after that it was smooth sailing.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Which ones do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The Terror is the one that got me back into reading Simmons again. I really enjoyed that book. (Just don't read it in the Winter!)

John
    The Terror is excellent. One of my favorite books. And I always tell people to read it in the winter. Makes it more terrifying that way
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm halfway through listening to Summer of Night. Love it! Much better than Black Hills. I will wait until winter for The Terror, although I'm not sure why. I don't like spoilers, so don't tell me.

Country
    Country Flag

I love spoilers, and I looked it up, and I will totally wait until winter

Country
    Country Flag

My wife looks up the spoilers for every movie she watches. It drives me crazy. I don't even read the back of the book to get a synopsis. I like going in blind.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I love spoilers, and I looked it up, and I will totally wait until winter
    Excellent! You're going to love it.

My wife looks up the spoilers for every movie she watches. It drives me crazy. I don't even read the back of the book to get a synopsis. I like going in blind.
    I do that with movies. The less I know the better. Never did it with books though.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Fall-of-...item3f1c218f6f

That's a sweet deal and as cheap as it will ever get.

Country
    Country Flag

OK, I really like Drood. Some of it was hard to follow due to the fact that the narrator
    Spoiler:
    is on opium
    through the entire story. I also read that Gueillermo Del Toro might be doing a movie adaptation of this book.

Country
    Country Flag

motherfucking Simmons has broken my heart

The Terror

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    motherfucking Simmons has broken my heart

The Terror
    This is one way I judge a book. If it has emotional effect on me, I know that I love it. And I couldn't agree more with your statement.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a lettered Hyperion for sale if anyone is interested.

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, yep, yep...The Terror was really good indeed!
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Country
    Country Flag

bears have nothing special to say... they have just come here to vent because these feelings can't be contained within one ursine being...

How perfect the structure is:

The Terror
    I mean - that's what makes a book really really great, isn't it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast