Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Dan Simmons

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Cody View Post
    It’s easy. If you don’t support the author on a personal level (i.e. don’t want to put money in his/her pocket that will only further his/her personal causes), buy his/her books used. Or download them illegally.

On another note, this is why discussing politics is never a good idea in settings that aren’t dedicated to such discussions. It’s just too easy to interpret comments as being personal and too slippery a slope to getting nasty. Not saying anyone got personal or nasty here but we still lost a good member over this.
    I agree that politics is best discussed in the proper place.

However, we didn't lose him over this IMHO.

I've had many discussions with Tim regarding politics in the appropriate thread. We always argue for a while and then agree that we mostly agree. I doubt that one discussion that became political would send him packing.

I think he's dealing with multiple stressors. I hope he's able to deal with them and comes to a place of peace.
    Oh I see. I’m sure you’re right then about this not being the sole reason. I assumed it might be only because of the timing, but in hindsight it was a poor assumption.

I hope he does too. He was a cool guy in my book.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've recently binged on Dan Simmons books and continue to be impressed by the breadth of his writing.

The best I read were Drood (yes, very long and slow in parts, but great character development and a really interesting way to introduce people to Charles Dickens), the two Hyperion stories )which I think most people rank as amongst Simmon's best work and I wouldn't consider myself to be a SciFi fan) and The Abominable (another long, but really satisfying story).

Black Hills was over long and didn't really grab me and Flashback was way too right-wing for my liking, but still an ok futuristic detective novel.

Next up is the two follow-up books in the Hyperion Cantos series, Endymion and The Rise of Endymion.

The Fifth Heart, Simmon's most recent story, remains my overall favourite.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Great to hear about your binge, and about your opinion of the books.

There are many recent ones of his I have yet to read, but Drood and The Terror are probably my favourite mainstream works of his; The Crook Factory is also very good. Favourite SF works would have the be The Hyperion Cantos, although the Ilium/Olympos duology are also excellent and fun.

I haven read anything written since (and including) Black Hills, so it was great to hear your opinion of them.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't think Flashback was that bad. Yes, it's absolutely right wing propaganda but the story was well worth it.

I too loved The Fifth Heart. That man can seriously write when he's not trying to show you just how much research he put into mundane details that have zero to do with the story.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I love early Simmons. The two Hyperions you speak of were tremendous reads - you will love what he does in the final two as well. You gotta give Carrion Comfort a chance, as it's easily one the best takes on the vampire genre. If you enjoy hard boiled detective fiction, you can't beat Simmons' Joe Kurtz series - can't believe that these have not been made into movies. I could keep going on with Summer of Night, etc..., but you get the gist. Love this guy!

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I didn't think Flashback was that bad. Yes, it's absolutely right wing propaganda but the story was well worth it.

I too loved The Fifth Heart. That man can seriously write when he's not trying to show you just how much research he put into mundane details that have zero to do with the story.

Yes, I agree on both counts, particularly with regards to The Fifth Heart as having now subsequently read most his Simmon's historic-set novels, The Fifth Heart feels like he finally nailed the formula and got the balance right between background information and interesting character development.

This bodes really well for the forthcoming Omega Canyon, whenever it sees the light of day.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can someone help?

What is the difference between Lord John Press' Children of the Night limited (500) and Deluxe (200)?
    Thx

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Can someone help?

What is the difference between Lord John Press' Children of the Night limited (500) and Deluxe (200)?
    Thx

Leather spine vs cloth spine I believe

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Can someone help?

Thx

Leather spine vs cloth spine I believe
    Awesome. Thanks. Helps a lot.

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Gunslinger Apprentice Nemoh21 has a spectacular aura about Nemoh21 has a spectacular aura about Nemoh21 has a spectacular aura about

Default Hyperion first edition

Not sure if anyone has a answer but I thought I’d check here. Trying to get first editions of the entire Hyperion cantos. I have 2 3 and 4 but I’m really not able to fin Hyperion at all. I honestly have only seen one for sale at like $700. Did this have a extremely low print run? Just seems to be hard to come by

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10