Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: Quentin Tarantino Movie Discussion

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Just got the chance to see Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood this afternoon. I absolutely loved it. Tarantino has just nailed the art of moviemaking. Every scene, every camera angle, the edits in all the right places, the pitch perfect dialog, using famous actors just for a pop-in scene, the music selections...it's all just perfection. I knew I was in for a treat from the very first scene with the guy interviewing Rick and Cliff. The way it was cut
    (ham-fisted and completely unsophisticated...and completely on purpose) was a call-out to how things were done back then, when the viewer wouldn't care or even notice. Today an interviewer wouldn't be caught dead the way that was edited.

I had avoided most of the discussion on the movie, so I was completely surprised at how the last 30 minutes played out. Completely surprised. And I loved it! Wonderful film. Wonderful movie-making.

And for those that criticize the Bruce Lee scene? Have you ever heard him talk? Seen his interviews? Documentary footage? He talked exactly like that. "You must become one with the fist...and it's all groovy, man." The actor had his voice inflections, his physical mannerisms, his accent, down pat. It was very VERY good. I didn't see any part of the scene at all "making fun" of Lee, or offering him up as a laughingstock. If his daughter heard people in the theater laughing, it's probably because they were not familiar with Lee's very specific speaking and fighting style. Maybe it "sounds funny." But that's not Tarantino's fault. The only quibble I had was that Lee would have ended up on his ass by a has-been stunt double, but I know why Tarantino did it; to establish some things that come up much later in the film. So it didn't bother me.
    She had no problem with the actor portraying Lee other than the fact that she felt he was told to play the part as a caricature.

"She said she didn’t take issue, however, with Moh, the serious Bruce Lee fan who plays him in the film. She said he did a good job with some of her father’s mannerisms, and his voice."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think it's more that Bruce Lee was so effortlessly slammed into a car by Cliff that was the issue, at least it was for me. I had no problem with the scene up until that point. That felt very disrespectful to a martial arts legend whom QT obviously adores, so it felt very jarring.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

People get offended over anything these days. Not surprised this non-issue was blown out of proportion.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Just got the chance to see Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood this afternoon. I absolutely loved it. Tarantino has just nailed the art of moviemaking.
    Perfect description of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Tarantino as a filmmaker right now. I'm going to use that line while describing this film from now on.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a special film for sure. I've been thinking about it a lot.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I finally saw it this weekend and I did like it very much. I can't say anything else about it or people will come for me. It is interesting that out of all his 9 films, it has the lowest audience score, even lower than Death Proof on RT.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Really? That's surprising. It seems like everyone hates Death Proof, and I've been hearing nothing but positive stuff about this one from people that have seen it. I wonder if it's just people that hate Tarantino that are bringing it down?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Really? That's surprising. It seems like everyone hates Death Proof, and I've been hearing nothing but positive stuff about this one from people that have seen it. I wonder if it's just people that hate Tarantino that are bringing it down?
    Possibly and also, it was the biggest opening ever for one of his films so a lot more people saw it then usual and a lot more folks had varying opinions as well. I saw it three weeks after it's release and the theater was still pretty packed. That's unusual for my theater because after opening weekend for any movie, the audience always drops way down but not this time.

It is really cool that Tarantino got Toni Basil to choreograph the Hullabaloo scene (which she was an assistant choreographer on in the 60s) and also the Playboy dance sequence. She knew Sharon too.

There is also a (thin) connection to Death Proof there. The song that plays at the beginning of Death Proof was used in Village of the Giants, a film that Toni dances in. And not to bring up a lady's age but she's 75 and still kicking ass.

Margot Robbie Mastered ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ Dance Scene in Three Days, No Talking Needed

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It is really cool that Tarantino got Toni Basil to choreograph the Hullabaloo scene (which she was an assistant choreographer on in the 60s) and also the Playboy dance sequence. ... And not to bring up a lady's age but she's 75 and still kicking ass.
    I remember watching Toni Basil's video for Hey Mickey. She's a high school cheerleader and really cute. And she was like 40-something when she made that!

She's awesome, love her and that video is iconic! I just read that it is considered the very first choreographed music video.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I hadn't realized that Hullabaloo was a real show. The more you know.

Also, did anyone else see a restaurant sign in the movie with VEGA in large lettering? Wondering if it, also, was a real place or a subtle Easter egg to the Vega brothers.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread reminded me that I want to scope out which restaurants and bars from the film were real so I can visit them all

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    This thread reminded me that I want to scope out which restaurants and bars from the film were real so I can visit them all
    If I lived in LA, that's all I would do.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just saw it yesterday evening and loved the ending!

Spoiler:
    Too bad it really didn't go down that way
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if this has been discussed before but what would you say to the following statement:

Guy Ritchie is the British, Quentin Tarantino
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I don't know if this has been discussed before but what would you say to the following statement:

The editing, non-linear plot lines, snappy unrealistic but very cool dialogue.
    Highly influenced by him for sure. AND could only dream about being even half as good.

This may seem like a strange comparison but QT is Michael Jackson and Ritchie would be Lady Gaga. I believe MJ is being himself: Weird, real eccentric, even shocking. Lady Gaga just seems like she is pretending.

Curious what you think, Merlin?

seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Tarantino is great writer and director. Guy Ritchie is serviceable at best. All style, little substance.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

Highly influenced by him for sure. AND could only dream about being even half as good.

This may seem like a strange comparison but QT is Michael Jackson and Ritchie would be Lady Gaga. I believe MJ is being himself: Weird, real eccentric, even shocking. Lady Gaga just seems like she is pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Tarantino is great writer and director. Guy Ritchie is serviceable at best. All style, little substance.
    You guys are more the film aficiando's than I, but I think you're perhaps taking a lot away from, Ritchie who bases his best film making on another culture we're not as familiar with. I'm thinking along the lines of, Snatch, Two smoking barrels, etc and not so much his Hollywood ventures. I did enjoy Sherlock Holmes though. I'm just thinking they are complimentary of one another.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If I've seen a Ritchie film, I don't recall it as I'm not familiar with the guy. Unless he did the movies mentioned by Bill above.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I know what you mean, but QT didn't make two average Sherlock Holmes films, a Disney cash grab, a blah King Arthur film and a forgettable TV show remake.

I hope he gets back to his roots because films like Snatch, Lock Stock, Revolver and Rock N Rolla are the best films he's made.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Guy Richie (in a term Merlin1958 would understand) can't hold QT's jock.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    You guys are more the film aficiando's than I, but I think you're perhaps taking a lot away from, Ritchie who bases his best film making on another culture we're not as familiar with. I'm thinking along the lines of, Snatch, Two smoking barrels, etc and not so much his Hollywood ventures. I did enjoy Sherlock Holmes though. I'm just thinking they are complimentary of one another.

Some of my favourite films are British films...some are extremely British like Withnail and I and Secrets and Lies. I just don't care much for his filmmaking style and I was never into his original films...I barely remember Lockstock because it's been so long, and I thought Snatch was just okay, so I'm not taking anything away from him. I've never liked his films generally, but I can see why some people would. He's a competent director who has a vision and executes it well enough....I just don't care for his vision.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The whole QT -vs- GR debate seems like Yahoo clickbait designed to get film aficionados upset. There is no real debate here.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    The whole QT -vs- GR debate seems like Yahoo clickbait designed to get film aficionados upset. There is no real debate here.
    Is Michael Bay better than Martin Scorsese? Click here to read full article!!!!!

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast