Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Cloverfield

One who came back Malficeus is on a distinguished road Malficeus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malficeus View Post

but think about the ending and how the people died... who killed them?... THE ARMY'S bombs
    It wasn't clear to me what killed them exactly, it seemed like it could easily have been the big monster crushing the bridge they were under for all you could see, just a lot of rubble.
    or maybe both?

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985
    -"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!" -GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Yeah, one of the things I love about the movie is that there is so much open to your imagination, because you can never see anything for very long, you just get these frightening glimpses of things and everything is so crazy, really giving you the feeling of what it would like if a big city like New York was suddenly attacked by monsters.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

yeah that is an excellent point there and also as for your easter egg reply yes there is by the way

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985
    -"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!" -GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Shweeeet, can't wait to look for it this weekend.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

i didn't know cloverfield was a king project. is it based on a short story, or is it a written script only type deal?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I do not believe it is. He just mentioned a connection in his interview but I think we have decided it was a "general" connection.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

King has no involvement in Cloverfield whatsoever. I think it's exactly what Bev said, in that both movies deal with monsters that suddenly appear and start attacking a neighborhood.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The monster in Cloverfield
    Spoiler:
    Resembled, imo, from certain shots, the Mist monster seen right around the very end. I thought the giant louses were also similar or would fit right into the mist.

I think that was what king meant. Not to mention the limited perspective, not really being able to see what much of the things were, not to mention
    Spoiler:
    a failry depressing ending.

Abrams is a huge King fan and we know King is a fan of Abrams. I could definitely see Abrams adding that King element to it.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Some people are just not great with motion, it doesn't make them stupid.
    I'm not good with motion, especially spinning. Problem with this movie is that YOU'RE NOT IN MOTION. So yes, it does If you were epilleptic (sp?) I could see. Just sit at the back of the theatre.
    Sorry man, it doesn't. I don't have to be moving to become ill from certain camera angles.

I'm far from stupid.

We can start a thread to discuss it if you like but general characterizations like this reflect very poorly on a person imo.

If you want to call everyone who gets motion sickness from freakish cameral angles (like a show about rollar coasters) stupid, that is your business. But its not a very informed opinion.

Now, back to Cloverfield!!

I'm not inferring you as stupid. I'm generally, referring to people who said 'they had motion sickness' when they are not moving. That is not motion sickness. Any motion sickness generated in this case is strictly due visceral causes and not inflicted by a person level of immunity to g forces is bullocks.

Malficeus, that was the point of the movie. The plot is a monster attacking from a pedestrians point of view. If you were unhappy with that or anyone doesn't want to see that, then yes, don't waste your money.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Its idiotic to keep discussing this but you are so off I have to comment.

I appreciate you not inferring I am stupid--if you don't want to call the reaction some people get from first person camera angles "motion sickness" then that's cool. Splitting hairs, but cool.

What I am trying to say is that people who were made ill by this movies "motion" could be legitimately sick and not idiots as you are trying to say

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.webmd.com/news/20080122/w...src=RSS_PUBLIC

While motion sickness is usually caused by plane, boat, or car movement, bumpy camerawork could definitely do it, too.

Motion sickness occurs when the brain receives conflicting messages from the inner ear, the eyes, and other parts of the body.

While watching Cloverfield, viewers were sitting still in their seats, so their inner ear was telling their body they were motionless. But the bumpy camera movements -- and their eyes -- misled them into thinking they were moving around erratically.

These conflicting messages to the brain lead to symptoms of motion sickness, most notably nausea. Other symptoms include vomiting, headache, and sweating.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Thanks for finding that information T.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to see Cloverfield Friday night! I'm excited. I've been looking forward to it for awhile.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Erin, honestly, if you are succeptable to motion sickness be sure to take some dramamine before you go, because the entire movie is from the perspective of a camcorder.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just sit towards the back Erin. You should be okay.

Back row is the best anyway, right people?

My favorite spot is the last row, all the way to the left if you are facing the screen. I like sitting right in front of the steps because I'm fairly tall (6'2") and like to stretch my legs.

Plus, I don't have to get up if people want to leave the row.

I like third or fourth row towards the front.

Country
    Country Flag

so you saw it CK?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

EW talked a little bit about the success of Cloverfield. They said that the money it's making means they will more than likely try to make a sequel.

If they were to make another film, how would you guys want them to approach it? Would you want to see the same home video style but with a different group of people during the New York invasion? Would you want them to focus on a new city?

Or maybe pick up after the first film?

There could be some interesting things to explore.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow wow wow wow. What a freaking great movie. I loved everything about it. And the camera shaking didn't bother me, I don't tend to get motion sickness.

Like everyone else said, I loved the focus on a small group and how realistic everything was. One quick question though:

Spoiler:
    What exactly happened to the girl who was bit by the spider-ish thing? I looked away for a brief moment (I spilt some drink on my shirt) when she was being drug into the Quarantine after her eye's started bleeding. I looked up and there was a lot of blood on the canvas. Did she turn into one of the creatures or did she explode or something?

Overall, it was super great and I'm going to go see it again later next week with another friend.

Oh, I also really loved the scene where:

Spoiler:
    you see the lone horse pulling the empty carriage on the abandoned street

That sceen sent shivers up and down my spine.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Spoiler:
    Her head asplode.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    EW talked a little bit about the success of Cloverfield. They said that the money it's making means they will more than likely try to make a sequel.

If they were to make another film, how would you guys want them to approach it? Would you want to see the same home video style but with a different group of people during the New York invasion? Would you want them to focus on a new city?

yeah i heard about sequals given that they proably werent the only ones filming. what i would like to see is a military version taken from a soliders helmet or from a vehicle. and another thing i would like to see is london attacked

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Wow wow wow wow. What a freaking great movie. I loved everything about it. And the camera shaking didn't bother me, I don't tend to get motion sickness.

Like everyone else said, I loved the focus on a small group and how realistic everything was. One quick question though:

Spoiler:
    What exactly happened to the girl who was bit by the spider-ish thing? I looked away for a brief moment (I spilt some drink on my shirt) when she was being drug into the Quarantine after her eye's started bleeding. I looked up and there was a lot of blood on the canvas. Did she turn into one of the creatures or did she explode or something?

Overall, it was super great and I'm going to go see it again later next week with another friend.

Oh, I also really loved the scene where:

Spoiler:
    you see the lone horse pulling the empty carriage on the abandoned street

That sceen sent shivers up and down my spine.
    So many scenes did that to me...glad it blew you away like it did me!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I really hope they don't go forward with a sequel. Can't they just for once leave a successful movie alone.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

no, they can't
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

If they do a sequel they would need to do a different format. No way could it work again. The only reason for a sequel would be to further the plot of what happened after with the monster and not the characters from the original. It should still be told from a personal perspective and not a national perspective to keep that pedestrian element to it but no, not the home video camera.

Whether they make or not make a sequel I'll be happy. Sequels are always made to movie in which don't need a sequel or wasn't even left open for one. Cloverfield could be taken in so many different directions.

It's a situation on whether they will be stupid and make a sequel, ruining a good original movie or they are too stupid to NOT make a sequel.

MIST AND CLOVERFIELD CONNECTIONS SPOILERS FOR BOTH

I finished reading The Mist last night for the first time. I still like the ending to the movie better, it's as if Darabont just added what happens next (even though his ending is alluded to in the the story).

In the final pages (in the movie, it's where I saw the monster I thought looked like Cloverfield) goes like this

Quote Originally Posted by The Mist, pg. 151 Skeleton Crew
    It was six-legged, I know that; it's skin was slaty gray that mottled to dark brown in places. Those dark brown patches reminded me absurdedly of the liver spots on Mrs. Carmody's hands. Its skin was deeply wrinkled and grooved and clinging to it were scores, hundreds of those pinkish "bugs" with the stalk-eyes. I don't know how big it actually was, but it passed directly over us. One of its gray, wrinkled legs smashed down right beside my window, and Mrs. Reppler said later she could not see the underside of it's body, although she craned her neck up to look. She saw only two Cyclopean legs going up and up into the mist like living towers until they were lost to sight.
    With the King comment on 'the Mist being a prequel to cloverfield' this paragraph alone made me wonder.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast