View Poll Results: Do you believe in ka?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do.

    46 71.88%
  • No, I don't.

    18 28.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 128

Thread: Ka

  1. #51
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I actually totally agree with that. The boundries are not specified but I think a person can sense them if they are really in tune with their own destiny.

    **cue twilight zone music**

    I just think our destiny's (ka) are broad and allow for a few turns and twists in the road to it.

    One school of thought is that everything is destiny all the way down to weather or not I decide to type the next word.

    word <--desitny, had to be done
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  2. #52
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    And why does destiny exist? (Does this question mean any sense? - for me it does but I can describe it more if you wish)

    Roland would have understood.

  3. #53
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    For me, its on a universal scale, and not stopping there, its on a multi-universal scale.

    What I mean is that all of existence is (to me) like a clock and all its moving pieces have to do exactly what they are supposed to.

    Destiny is the plan, but not in a God way (imo)
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  4. #54
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    So... we can choose but these choices aren't real choices they don't make any really difference because we always go to the same direction. Hm? Something like this?

    Roland would have understood.

  5. #55
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Kind of, the destination is the same but how we get there can be as varied as we are.

    Personally, I believe the more you accept it, the easier your life is but I am a little crazy

    Our choices are real but if you are going to get smashed by a rock on the highway 3 years from now (it happens around here), that is going to happen no matter where you go or what you do
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  6. #56
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    It doesn't matter when or how you die but the things you have done in your life by that point.

    Roland would have understood.

  7. #57
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Exactly!! (and I love this conversation by the way )

    That is why it is so important to live everyday like it was your last--because in the end it is how you lived, not how you died.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  8. #58
    Gunslinger Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nope
    Posts
    15,650
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    This is a fascinating discussion.

    I totally believe things happen for a reason. Maybe to teach you a life lesson, maybe just to move things in general forward. I always try to look at what the purpose might be to things that happen to me.



    "People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard


    "You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

  9. #59
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Same here, good or bad there has to be a purpose for things. Even though we may never know what it is.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  10. #60
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Exactly!! (and I love this conversation by the way )

    That is why it is so important to live everyday like it was your last--because in the end it is how you lived, not how you died.
    But listen... if everything goes the same direction... and most of the things or all of the thing must happen, why is it important in your view how I live?
    I'll tell you an example.
    We say things must happen. Let's imagine that I have a sister. She is in a big trouble but destiny or something like that says and leads everything to that direction that she will pull herself together and she will solve her problems.
    Because it's in the big book. She will not fail. She will manage.
    Why the blue hell should I help her? Why should I be a good sister and be next to her if I not someone else will help her to get out of that big trouble?
    Do you see my question?
    If everything goes the same direction and life is like a nice clock... as I see it reponsibility... gets very little.
    Do you see what I don't understand?

    Roland would have understood.

  11. #61
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I see your question perfectly.

    Mostly my crazy opinions just work for me so take everything I say with a grain of salt, everyone is totally different imo.

    also, I am totally non religious (not that its a bad thing )

    As far as the example, I believe there is a way to achieve what we might call a "smoother" passage by living well and being kind to others. It strikes a chord that resonates across all of this. That means that it comes back (karma/pay it forward--whatever)

    But to me the fact that I helped someone is for me, to just do the right thing, not their eventual destiny. I at least try my best to be a good person.

    Not sure if that makes any sense though, I think these things are as varied as we are as individuals.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  12. #62
    Gunslinger Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nope
    Posts
    15,650
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Wait. I think I have the answer to Letti's question.

    What if part of YOUR ka is to help your sister? To learn something by giving her assistance?

    Even though she will eventually solve her problems, you don't know that for sure, and maybe she needs your help to do it. And, maybe, by helping her you are learning something about yourself in the process, something that you will take on to your next challenge.

    Does that make any sense?



    "People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard


    "You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

  13. #63
    Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lettiland
    Posts
    22,328
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    I do believe in Ka. Fate. Destiny. Even if it's affected by my free choices, it's a collision with someone elses free choices. I am responsible for how I live my life, but something else (surely not me) is responsible for those obsticles/people that are put in my path.

    Ka.

    And, if I'm wrong, I'll never know it!

    I see what you say but isn't it a paradox?
    Not entirely. Why would it be a paradox for seperate destinies and choices to intertwine? Or why would it be a paradox for all of those detinies and choices to exist within a seperate predestination?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

    If you rescue me
    Iíll be your friend forever


    I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)



  14. #64
    Gunslinger Apprentice Aesculapius is on a distinguished road Aesculapius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    562

    Default

    "I am not Ka, I am not its ribbon, I am a vehicle of Ka..."
    Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

  15. #65
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Wait. I think I have the answer to Letti's question.

    What if part of YOUR ka is to help your sister? To learn something by giving her assistance?

    Even though she will eventually solve her problems, you don't know that for sure, and maybe she needs your help to do it. And, maybe, by helping her you are learning something about yourself in the process, something that you will take on to your next challenge.

    Does that make any sense?
    Oh yes it does.
    But it means I have to do everything for myself because I work for MY ka. I can't influnce others' lives (because everything goes the same direction without my effort too nothing depends on me) and noone can make a really difference in my life because I am the only one who can form it BUT I don't really form or influence it because things happen without my help too.
    If I must become homeless I can work damn hard I wil become one. If I must become rich (because it's in my Big Book) I will win on the lottery because I must.
    I am sure I am dark but I don't see why we should fight for anything if we see the things this way.

    Roland would have understood.

  16. #66
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    You fight if it is your ka to fight. That's why some decisions feel so right even if its the hardest thing you will ever have to do.

    Also why a person does things they shouldn't even though they know it will hurt them.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  17. #67
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You fight if it is your ka to fight.
    I fight because there are so many things to fight for. My friends my love my family.
    Anyway why would it be ka? That's life. Fight. To find something to fight for. Sometimes we fail.. we stand up and we go on. And sometimes we win.

    Roland would have understood.

  18. #68
    The Tenant Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chinatown
    Posts
    22,486
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    It is interesting to see how in this thread people suddenly started calling Ka everything that is of spiritual nature or goes beyond immediate physical experience. In every particular case, Ka may be replaced by an appropriate philosophical or religious term, which will make the matter much clearer, and eliminate Ka as superfluous.

    Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

    bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  19. #69
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Ammmazing to see you here, Jean. *hugs* All of your words are shiy pieces of jewellery.

    Roland would have understood.

  20. #70
    Gunslinger Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Nope
    Posts
    15,650
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    I am not religious by ANY means. Okay, yeah, I was raised Catholic, and while I kind of like the geegaws, I don't practice. I was sure when I went into the Catholic church 7 years ago for my father's funeral that I would get hit by lightning LOL. Since that didn't happen, I kind of figure there's no power there.

    I like ka. I like the idea that "what will be, will be".

    Letti, I see what you're saying. You think that if the outcome is the same regardless, that you working towards it doesn't matter. Am I correct?

    If so, then what I'm thinking is that while the other's ka (your sister, a friend, whatever) may be preordained, and yours too, the fact that you must help them or work towards a common goal is part of ka, too.

    YOU are learning something by working towards another's ka. YOUR ka is to work towards a goal. You may not gain monetarily, or spiritiually, but at some point the work you did there may build on a future work, something that forwards YOUR ka.

    Yes, I know, my BS meter has been set to high these days, but I truly believe that whatever happens happens for a reason - you just have to find out what that reason is.

    Ah hell, maybe I am talking in circles. But, if ka is a wheel, that makes sense, too, I guess.



    "People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard


    "You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

  21. #71
    The Tenant Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chinatown
    Posts
    22,486
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    1. I am not religious by ANY means. Okay, yeah, I was raised Catholic, and while I kind of like the geegaws, I don't practice. I was sure when I went into the Catholic church 7 years ago for my father's funeral that I would get hit by lightning LOL. Since that didn't happen, I kind of figure there's no power there.

    2. I like ka. I like the idea that "what will be, will be".
    <...>
    3. Ah hell, maybe I am talking in circles. But, if ka is a wheel, that makes sense, too, I guess.
    1. Wouldn't like to start religious discussion unless it is absolutely necessarily, but would like to draw your attention to the fact that there is some difference between Christian God and country fair prestidigitator.

    2. Why do you insist on calling it ka? There are more interpretations to the idea, and there is more than that to the concept of ka (itself hardly consistent, by the way)

    3. And here comes an interruption of logic. You like the idea (see above), and you call it ka; but since ka is like a wheel, you are ready to accept the idea of the wheel in your reality. Why? How does it logically follow from "what will be, will be"? How does it tie in with the rest of your picture of the world? What are your foundations for your beliefs? Do you believe in wheel only because a writer happened to cover it with the same conceptual blanket as "what will be, will be" idea?

    Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

    bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  22. #72
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The thread is called Ka Jean.

    I understood that is what we were here to discuss. Sure, the idea has all kinds of names but calling it Ka in this thread seems appropriate.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  23. #73
    The Tenant Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chinatown
    Posts
    22,486
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Matt: The concept of Ka is not reducible to fate, or destiny, or karma, or dao (all of which should be discriminated between, too). If someone accepts one part of a system of beliefs, it does not mean they should accept the rest automatically and blindly. It may very well be that the part they accept would make more sense in a different system of beliefs. It's all a matter of consistence, which I personally find important.

    Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

    bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  24. #74
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Sure, I totally understand that. If my opinions in this thread have given the impression that expected anyone to accept anything, that was not my intention.

    My beliefs work only for me and the complexities (and inconsistencies) are unique to me.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  25. #75
    The Tenant Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chinatown
    Posts
    22,486
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Absolutely. But if you post, it must mean that you are ready to argue your position, right, including the foundations and the consistence of your beliefs? It is not about whether or not you want anyone to accept it, too - I don't know how this motif appeared at all - it's only how well you realize what your own beliefs consist of, or result in; how important they are to you and how seriously you take them.

    Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

    bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts