View Poll Results: Do you believe in ka?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do.

    46 71.88%
  • No, I don't.

    18 28.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 128

Thread: Ka

  1. #26
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I think we do have free will to a point. Just only that the result will always be the same.

    Like pebbles rolling down a hill, some go fast, some slow. Some have a rough trip and others roll right through. In the end, they all end up at the bottom.

    To me, our free will is within the confines of our ka and the two are not mutually exclusive
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  2. #27
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    There is free will and that effects ka and ka also effects free will, I believe there is some weaving of the two.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  3. #28
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I know Jean has the most belief in ka of all of us...












    Yes, with me.

    Roland would have understood.

  4. #29
    Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,302
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I like your analogy at the top of the page there Matt, its similar to the way I look at it.

    I think we chose our own paths, but that there are some things that simply will happen along the way no matter which path you take. Although I don't think the final destination is preordained, that I think is subject to both randomness and concious change.

  5. #30
    Gunslinger Apprentice She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    474
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    It really depends on what day it is. Today, I DO believe in ka/fate whatever you want to call it. Perhaps it's just easier to accept change that way. It's not that I believe in some kind of pre-determined destiny, I don't, but when somethings happen, whether big or small, from a move to meeting a new friend, it changes the path of our lives...and yes, most of it is free will, but sometimes maybe, just maybe it's not.


    ***If it sounds like I just reguritated what Darkthoughts said, sorry...strangely and honestly, I did not read that post before I posted mine, but they say the EXACT same thing...would have been even closer to the same because at first I used the term "preordained destiny" instead of pre-determined, but something made me change that...strange.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

  6. #31
    Gunslinger Apprentice Chassit is on a distinguished road Chassit's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    238

    Default

    I am agnostic so I'll quote Ozzy Osbourne

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Osbourne
    Don't look to me for answers
    Don't ask me--I don't know

  7. #32
    Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,302
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by She-Oy View Post
    ***If it sounds like I just reguritated what Darkthoughts said, sorry...strangely and honestly, I did not read that post before I posted mine, but they say the EXACT same thing...would have been even closer to the same because at first I used the term "preordained destiny" instead of pre-determined, but something made me change that...strange.
    Its ka!

  8. #33
    Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    88
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Ooh, this is tricky. I believe that we all have free will which moves us through our day to day lives, but there are some things pre-destined for us, whether we realize this or not. I don't think it's been predetermined that I'm going to have cereal for breakfast, but definitely who I'll spend my life with is. I don't think that "ka" or "fate" or "destiny" is something we can see or feel most of the time, but at key points in our lives, when something is just pulling you toward it for no particular reason, what else could there be but ka? Although I do think that some people use ka or fate or whatever as an excuse when they make mistakes in life, and that is definitely not its purpose.
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

    We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

  9. #34
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Why is it good to think that there are things that must happen to us? There must be something very romantic or good in it that so many people think that.

    Roland would have understood.

  10. #35
    Gunslinger Apprentice Baradin is on a distinguished road Baradin's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Drinking with the Green Man
    Posts
    60
    My Mood
    Cool

    Default

    I can't believe I'm about to admit this but:

    I kinda like how Sylvia Browne put it. We all chart or map out our lives before we come back to earth each time. Certain "waypoints" are set in stone. Whom you marry, where you die ect ect. But all the inconsequential things (what you eat for dinner, who you goto the Hockey game with) are random and completely up to you. Tho one *could* argue that since you mapped out your life previously, that in fact everything comes down to free choice anyhow.

    And yes I have actually read a couple of her books. They were lent to me and I'll read anything.
    "And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top, gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room?...

    You dare not."

    Mi him en tow
    Mi tow can de lach.

  11. #36
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I go a step further because in a way, every single decision we make in our lives is a part of our ka and destiny.

    Missing a bus can literally change your life. The question is weather or not you were "supposed" to miss that bus, I believe that you were.

    "you" being general in this case.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  12. #37
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I go a step further because in a way, every single decision we make in our lives is a part of our ka and destiny.

    Missing a bus can literally change your life. The question is weather or not you were "supposed" to miss that bus, I believe that you were.

    "you" being general in this case.
    You are my man, Matt.
    So do you say we can't take real decisions because everything is already written down?

    Roland would have understood.

  13. #38
    Gunslinger Apprentice maerlyns_rainbow is on a distinguished road maerlyns_rainbow's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    88
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Why is it good to think that there are things that must happen to us? There must be something very romantic or good in it that so many people think that.
    Maybe in a way this is a romantic thought for me, because the main reasons I believe in some sort of ka are because of the person I am with and the deep connections I have with family members. Where with family I understand that I grew up with these people, there is some reason why we are so alike, but as far as purely romantic love goes, I find it extremely hard to believe that I just happened to stumble across someone who is perfect for me. I just find it very hard to believe that there wasn't something pulling us towards each other to make sure we got it right. I also believe that intuition is something like ka, kind of helping us to make the right decisions so we can have a better life.

    And Baradin, don't be too ashamed of reading Sylvia Browne. I have too I only read her Secrets and Mysteries of the World book, but it made for very interesting reading at the very least. She also has a great outlook on life. I imagine her to be a very happy person.
    As the scorpion said to the maiden as she lay dying, "You knowed I was poison when you picked me up." Jonas, WaG

    We're all mad here!--The Cheshire Cat

  14. #39
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Rainbow - isn't it better to think that you both fought a lot and you are the people who you are because of the things that happened to you because of the things you fought for and the fact that you met was a big present of the life or God or I don't know what but if you had taken other decisions if you had failed more you would have never met or you would have met but you wouldn't have matched so much...
    I mean... isn't it better to think that not an "an touchable big power" but you did it that you are together?

    Roland would have understood.

  15. #40
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I go a step further because in a way, every single decision we make in our lives is a part of our ka and destiny.

    Missing a bus can literally change your life. The question is weather or not you were "supposed" to miss that bus, I believe that you were.

    "you" being general in this case.
    You are my man, Matt.
    So do you say we can't take real decisions because everything is already written down?
    Actually I do. My mom used to have a saying that the "universe is unfolding as it should". Meaning even when things were bad, they were bad for a reason that we couldn't see.

    I am not talking religion here, I am talking universal design all the way down. Turtles don't you know

    I also believe that peoples "paths" can be easy or hard but are always going the same way. Its hard when you fight against it or push bad karma out in the universe by treating people badly.

    We can all light the universe from our own little corner and treating folks well will always return to us through universal harmony.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  16. #41
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Brice, I am waiting for your post here so much..

    Roland would have understood.

  17. #42
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I go a step further because in a way, every single decision we make in our lives is a part of our ka and destiny.

    Missing a bus can literally change your life. The question is weather or not you were "supposed" to miss that bus, I believe that you were.

    "you" being general in this case.
    You are my man, Matt.
    So do you say we can't take real decisions because everything is already written down?
    Actually I do. My mom used to have a saying that the "universe is unfolding as it should". Meaning even when things were bad, they were bad for a reason that we couldn't see.

    I am not talking religion here, I am talking universal design all the way down. Turtles don't you know

    I also believe that peoples "paths" can be easy or hard but are always going the same way. Its hard when you fight against it or push bad karma out in the universe by treating people badly.

    We can all light the universe from our own little corner and treating folks well will always return to us through universal harmony.
    Althought there is a lot in what you write we couldn't think more differently about this question.

    Roland would have understood.

  18. #43
    Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lettiland
    Posts
    22,328
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Brice, I am waiting for your post here so much..

    I know I know...I am just procrastinating trying to find the right words.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

    If you rescue me
    Iíll be your friend forever


    I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)



  19. #44
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I go a step further because in a way, every single decision we make in our lives is a part of our ka and destiny.

    Missing a bus can literally change your life. The question is weather or not you were "supposed" to miss that bus, I believe that you were.

    "you" being general in this case.
    You are my man, Matt.
    So do you say we can't take real decisions because everything is already written down?
    Actually I do. My mom used to have a saying that the "universe is unfolding as it should". Meaning even when things were bad, they were bad for a reason that we couldn't see.

    I am not talking religion here, I am talking universal design all the way down. Turtles don't you know

    I also believe that peoples "paths" can be easy or hard but are always going the same way. Its hard when you fight against it or push bad karma out in the universe by treating people badly.

    We can all light the universe from our own little corner and treating folks well will always return to us through universal harmony.
    Althought there is a lot in what you write we couldn't think more differently about this question.
    That's the beauty of the question.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  20. #45
    aka lindakins alinda is just really nice alinda is just really nice alinda is just really nice alinda is just really nice alinda's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,342
    My Mood
    In Love
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    "Everything is "
    Matthew I believe your so very close to describing what I see.



    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    There is free will and that effects ka and ka also effects free will, I believe there is some weaving of the two.

    The answer is within

    all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

  21. #46
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    There is free will and that effects ka and ka also effects free will, I believe there is some weaving of the two.
    Wow.

    Roland would have understood.

  22. #47
    Goldmember NeedfulKings has a spectacular aura about NeedfulKings has a spectacular aura about NeedfulKings has a spectacular aura about NeedfulKings's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,424
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I do believe in Ka. Fate. Destiny. Even if it's affected by my free choices, it's a collision with someone elses free choices. I am responsible for how I live my life, but something else (surely not me) is responsible for those obsticles/people that are put in my path.

    Ka.

    And, if I'm wrong, I'll never know it!


  23. #48
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    I do believe in Ka. Fate. Destiny. Even if it's affected by my free choices, it's a collision with someone elses free choices. I am responsible for how I live my life, but something else (surely not me) is responsible for those obsticles/people that are put in my path.

    Ka.

    And, if I'm wrong, I'll never know it!

    I see what you say but isn't it a paradox?

    Roland would have understood.

  24. #49
    Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parachute, Colorado
    Posts
    15,112
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Not to me, I believe you can have free will within destiny.

    For instance, when we shop, the kids can get whatever they want from this rack

    freedom to choose, within boundries
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

  25. #50
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    I see. There are things that have to happen, I agree with it.
    But not because of destiny. Yes, we have boundaries.. but they aren't given... we ourselves build them. We build the walls. Of course after awhile these boundaries are so strong and big that they are real and we aren't absolutely free.
    Anyway it's very hard to be free for a human being. But not because of some God or some destiny. But because of themselves.

    Roland would have understood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts