Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Overlooked, Under-Appreciated or Un-Appreciated Performances

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I agree about Peter O'Toole in My Favorite Year. He owns that movie!!

I can't agree about Nicholson in Batman, though. Sorry. I feel he played it just a little too cheeky. I think Heath Ledger's performance, in the upcoming film, is going to re-define the Joker as the creepy, socio-path that he is.
    OMG, someone else who has seen that movie. I have never run across anyone who has seen it.

"Hey! This is for ladies only."
    "So is this" *ZIP* "But ever now and then I have to run a little water through it."

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh gosh, yes.
    I loved it. Thought it was a quintisential performance!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Gay

Popping this tread back up.

... Just watched James Caan in Thief.

Not sure how many of you all have seen it, but it's an excellent film and he's outstanding in it.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gunslinger Apprentice Hbgunslinger is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I thought Paul Bettany didn't get enough attention for his acting as Silas in The Da Vinci Code, he was amazing.

My Mood
    Gay

Personally, I didn't like that movie very much - thought it was VERY overdone and really hated whats-her-name in the lead - but yes, along with Sir Ian, I thought Paul Bettany stole the movie.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Tom Cruise, because he's such a wacko, is underappreciated as an actor in general.

Brad Pitt...generally underappreciated as an actor if you ask me. I think people get too caught up in his looks.

Michael Keaton...underappreciated as Batman. Also underappreciated in Pacific Heights

Kyle Maclachlan as Paul Atreides in Dune. Whatever problems that movie may have had (and there's a good many) this performance was not one of them. It still amazes me at how much gravitas that kid brought to the role.

Robin Williams in One Hour Photo

Gary Cole as Lumburg in Office Space

On the flipside of this I think a couple of overappreciated actors are DeNiro and Pachino...especially in the last 10 years.

My Mood
    Gay

Cozener - Wow, we agree on a lot of actors. Hope you'll allow me to comment :

Tom Cruise, because he's such a wacko, is underappreciated as an actor in general. I thought his performance in Magnolia was GREAT, absolutely against type and he pulled it off perfectly. Also, Jerry Maguire was a great performance in a very sappy movie.

Brad Pitt...generally underappreciated as an actor if you ask me. I think people get too caught up in his looks. I agree here, he was VERY good in Fight Club and Se7en. He's had his share of stinkers, but he does have acting chops. I think the director of his films is key.

Michael Keaton...underappreciated as Batman. Also underappreciated in Pacific Heights. Never been a fan of Keaton in anything, on this we defer.

Kyle Maclachlan as Paul Atreides in Dune. Whatever problems that movie may have had (and there's a good many) this performance was not one of them. It still amazes me at how much gravitas that kid brought to the role. Yes, for sure. A very underappreciated performance.

Robin Williams in One Hour Photo. Actually, I like him in just about anything NOT comedy. He's over the top in his comedy roles, but he was excellent in Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo and though Night Listener was really bad, his performance was outstanding and understated.

Gary Cole as Lumburg in Office Space. Ye-ah

On the flipside of this I think a couple of overappreciated actors are DeNiro and Pachino...especially in the last 10 years.
    I completely agree on this. They are amazing actors, but they've got some real crap out there. 88 Minutes was HORRIBLE and DeNiro has made some stinkers. That lovely-dovey movie with Meryl Streep, The Fan, etc.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

What about James Dean in East of Eden. When you hear his name everyone just immediately thinks of Rebel (which I also think he is amazing in). However I think East of Eden was his best performance. He really nailed that role. Not to mention it was also his first staring role in a film. He couldn't have done any better.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Gay

Heather19 - That's an exellent point.

I am a huge James Dean fan, and East of Eden is an amazing performance for sure. What a shame and loss that we didn't have him around longer.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but another overlooked performance was Kevin Bacon's portrayal of Henry Young in "Murder In The First". Great movie, too.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

My Mood
    Gay

No, Kevin Bacon in Murder in the First hasn't been mentioned. It's a great performance for sure. Personally, I think Kevin Bacon is a very underappreciated actor. If you saw his performance in the The Woodsman, you will be amazed.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

John Turturro should have won a Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Pete in Oh Brother! Where Art Thou?. I think all of the performances in that movie were stellar, and it's a shame it was not recognized for much more than its outstanding soundtrack, but Turturro's performance above all stood out as something special.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Brad Pitt...generally underappreciated as an actor if you ask me. I think people get too caught up in his looks.
    I think its more to do, as turtlex commented, with the direction he receives - or perhaps he makes poor script choices himself? I liked him in Fight Club, Kalifornia and also in Snatch, other than that...meh...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I liked him in Fight Club, Kalifornia and also in Snatch, other than that...meh...
    I also enjoyed all of those performances, particularly Snatch where I thought Pitt was fantastic. Actually, Pitt's was the only performance I enjoyed in Kalifornia. I thought the rest of the film was terrible, especially Duchovny who emotes only slightly better than Keanu Reeves.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Juliette Lewis wasn't up to par in Kalifornia either, but Pitt was grotesque and all the more brilliant for it.

Snatch was just genius. I live next to a community of travellers and he got that whole accent, demeanour, humour scarily down to a tee!

The problem with Lewis' performance is that she completely overdid it. I kept hoping Brad Pitt would just kill her and end her screen time.

Snatch is brilliant. It took me many viewings to work out all of what Pitt was saying. Of all of the great performances in that film, I think Pitt's is second only to Alan Ford's ("Do you know what nemesis means?")

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    The problem with Lewis' performance is that she completely overdid it. I kept hoping Brad Pitt would just kill her and end her screen time.

Snatch is brilliant. It took me many viewings to work out all of what Pitt was saying. Of all of the great performances in that film, I think Pitt's is second only to Alan Ford's ("Do you know what nemesis means?")
    Alot of the travellers near us have Lancashire accents (sorta Noel and Liam Gallagher type) but there are a few Irish families there, and its not the accent but the fact that they talk so bloody fast

My Mood
    Gay

I agree that Juliette Lewis was horrible in Kalifornia. As a matter of fact, with the exception of the Cape Fear remake, she's really not all that impressive an actress to me.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I dunno, I can't put my finger on a particular performance, but I have quite a soft spot for her.

My Mood
    Gay

As silly as it sounds, perhaps it was her performance in Cape Fear? To be honest, she's so vulnerable in that film, it sticks with you.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It can't be because (don't tell anyone) I've never seen it

I thought she did a great job in Natural Born Killers as Mallory, but there are very few other performances of hers that I care for.

Plus about ten years ago she came into a coffee shop that my friend was managing and she was a complete and utter bitch so I kinda developed a general distaste for her after that.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Mike Meyers in So, I Married an Axe Murderer

Jack Black and Colin Hanks in Orange County

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    It can't be because (don't tell anyone) I've never seen it

Never seen the remake of Cape Fear? Your secret is safe with me

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Brad Pitt in 12 Monkey's. Probably one of my favorite Pitt performance.

I loved him in Se7en too. "What's in the Box! What's in the box!"

One of my all time favorite performances in a movie was Angus MacFadyen in Braveheart.

I love almost all of his scenes. In fact, I have one of his monoluges memorized and will often recite it for friends and family members, much to the dismay of my sister:

"Lands, titles, men, power, nothing."

Then his father says, "Nothing?"

"I have nothing. Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and their children. Those men who bled the ground red at Falkirk, they fought for William Wallace, and he fights for something that I never had. And I took it from him, when I betrayed him and I saw it in his face on the battlefield and it's tearing me apart."

Then his father cuts in again, "All men betray. All lose heart."

"I don't wanna lose heart. I wanna believe as he does."

Should have been nominated for an Oscar.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast