Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Joker

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I never understand why they have to act like is face is fucked up. The joker simply had white skin, green hair and was as crazy as a shit house mouse, not thing more.
    I thought part of his original story was that his mouth got tweaked out (into a giant grin) by the chemical bath that changed his skin and hair color.

Maybe I'm mistaken though.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

In the killing joke, the chemical bath did tweek him out but it didn't do anything to his mouth. He had the ability to be a sad clown.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Detective Comics #168 (February 1951) revealed that the Joker had once been a criminal known as the Red Hood. In the story, the Red Hood falls into a vat of chemicals while escaping from Batman. He emerges with white skin, green hair, and a bizarre grin.

However:

No recounting of the Joker's origin has been definitive, however, as he has been portrayed as lying so often about his former life that he himself is confused as to what actually happened. As he says in The Killing Joke: "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a bizarre grin too.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Detective Comics #168 (February 1951) revealed that the Joker had once been a criminal known as the Red Hood. In the story, the Red Hood falls into a vat of chemicals while escaping from Batman. He emerges with white skin, green hair, and a bizarre grin.
    I've read some of those old stories (in later collections), this must be where I got that impression. Thanks for the confirmation!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I've read some of those old stories (in later collections), this must be where I got that impression. Thanks for the confirmation!

Read The Killing Joke for more. Best Comic ever.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, while it isn't considered the official Joker origin story (because he doesn't exactly remember what happened to him)--I still feel like it is as close as we can get.

Read the Killing Joke for the "joke" at the end. I believe the comic itself is the most insight a reader could get into the relationship between The Joker and Batman

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Read The Killing Joke for more. Best Comic ever.
    I have read it!

I've always loved the Dark Knight and The Joker.

I was in Europe in the summer/early fall the year The Killing Joke was released. I bought it in London (the U.K. release?) at the end of my trip, read it on the plane trip home and then gave it to a friend.

What a great story. Now I want it back.

Country
    Country Flag

LOL I totally missed that.

You should definitely get it back, or even better, pick up the Alan Moore trade. At this point, that may be cheaper than finding the original issue, and, hey, you get more stories.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

However:

No recounting of the Joker's origin has been definitive, however, as he has been portrayed as lying so often about his former life that he himself is confused as to what actually happened. As he says in The Killing Joke: "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

I have the Killing Joke. And everything I've read about the Joker seems to be what you guys are saying. The chem bath bleached his skin and turned his hair green. I'm not sure that the chem bath itself screwed him up, I thought he just went mad afterwards because of what happened and he just has the ability to have that big ass smile.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yep, while it isn't considered the official Joker origin story (because he doesn't exactly remember what happened to him)--I still feel like it is as close as we can get.

Read the Killing Joke for the "joke" at the end. I believe the comic itself is the most insight a reader could get into the relationship between The Joker and Batman
    I love that part. I also love the very last page with the playing card. Awesome.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Has anyone else HEARD Ledger speak as the Joker yet?

He sounds nuts.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=UWw0ov-cAUg"]YouTube - REAL THE DARK KNIGHT TEASER TRAILER[/ame]

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I have heard a bit, but not a lot. I think you've heard a lot more than me.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Is there any more pics from the movie? Last ones I saw he looks just like the Crow.

Here's a new Ledger Joker pic.

My Mood
    Dead

Har har, dear.

Couldn't help myself.

Here's some more, just scroll down.

http://dailystab.com/blog/uncategori...w-batman-pics/

Country
    Country Flag

The series Batman Confidential is doing a "Joker Origin" story arc right now. It sucketh.

My Mood
    Amused

I don't want to sound bad, but I LOVED Batman Begins! It finally gave batman movies a positive look! HOwever, those pics make it look like they are gona take a step backward! Serious, the last pic is all make-up! Are they even going to try to follow the story?

They didn't follow the "story" in Begins, they tweaked it, and that's what they're doing here. I'm a huge Batman fan, and I was cool with BB, so I believe I'll have no problems with Dark Knight.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Have I mentioned lately how skeptical I am?

:\ <----This is my skeptical face.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    They didn't follow the "story" in Begins, they tweaked it, and that's what they're doing here. I'm a huge Batman fan, and I was cool with BB, so I believe I'll have no problems with Dark Knight.

Ya, but, com on, it's the JOKER! And I know they tweaked it, but come on, don't screw with the joker!

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

First of all...Joker...yes...best comic book character ever.

The fact that Heath Ledger is playing The Joker makes me want to sit in a corner and cry.
    You never know. When I heard that Michael Keaton was going to play Batman I was furious. I like Keaton but I thought of him as a comedic actor. But as it turns out he's my favorite Batman so far.

I would have gone for Christian Slater as The Joker and I don't think I much like the look they've chosen. I prefer the traditional Joker. But I'm betting I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

Ya, but, com on, it's the JOKER! And I know they tweaked it, but come on, don't screw with the joker!
    I have high hopes, and I've not been let down yet.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Your sig pic does make me worry though

I'm not real high on that rendition of him

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast