Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 120 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2985

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Now both Withnail AND I have officially played on the show!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Love the Dalek one. That's class!

- Melike

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok I have a question...I have watch the show over many decades (mom was a big who fan) and me and my son are having an argument as to what the pronunciation of the word Dalek...is it with a long a as in the word drake or as in the short a as in the word glad?

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have just always gone with what they have called them on the show. I go with something like Dah-lehk. That is using the "a" as you would in awesome

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree! The show tells you how it's pronounced.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, how I think of it is the first syllable rhymes perfectly with "car".

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

UK airdate has been announced for series 7: 1st September! Woop!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Still nothing for the US...not that it matters, really. That weekend I will be back home for a few days, meaning I won't be able to livestream or download the ep until at least Monday night or Tuesday. Never thought I'd say this, but I actually wish it didn't come back so soon. Sept 8th would be way better...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Still nothing for the US...not that it matters, really. That weekend I will be back home for a few days, meaning I won't be able to livestream or download the ep until at least Monday night or Tuesday. Never thought I'd say this, but I actually wish it didn't come back so soon. Sept 8th would be way better...
    What's odd is that I kinda agree with ya, albeit for completely different reasons. Just so I can get Dredd out of my system first, so that next day I can really be excited for Who. Seriously, I've been so excited for Dredd, I've read 2 bumper case files plus a standard sized graphic novel in the past 2 weeks, not to mention the weekly 2000AD reading I usually do! I've been putting off listening to a couple of audio Who stories I've been waiting ages for, I've been reading so much. Still, I might take a break for tonight, either listen to some more season 5 of classic Who or some new audio Who. Maybe.

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

son shared this pic with me

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't know it was this close. i am absolutely quivering with excitement. This is gonna rock so hard
    If you love me then love me..

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I am so beyond excited! And for those who do not know, they have been releasing very short mini-eps called "Pond Life" all week to get us ready for new adventures. The first 2 are here:

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Hmmm.

http://divinevarod.com/2012/08/26/jo...rsary-episode/

To an extent, I'd be interested in this. To an extent. I don't want to see Barrowman "replaced" as Captain Jack, but I also wouldn't mind finding out about the missing 2 years he mentioned in the Empty Child. Personally, I'd like to see a young Captain Jack (who most likely wouldn't even be "Captain Jack" anyway, it's not his real name, after all) with a younger actor, it's just unrealistic for Barrowman to play a version of himself that's at least 7 years younger, but still have Barrowman involved in the 50th anniversary as normal Jack. Everybody wins.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

No one could ever come close to replacing John.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

No, of course not. But like I said, if it's younger Jack like in that Torchwood flashback ep Adam and it's nothing permanent, then I'm all for it.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

So what did everyone think of last night's opening ep? Here's my review, with plenty of spoilers to discuss, naturally.

Spoiler:
    Doctor Who: Asylum of the Daleks spoiler review

Well, after 8 months since the last ep, we’ve finally got a brand new ep of Doctor Who! Thoughts? Well, I really, really enjoyed it. Not the greatest episode, but still thought it was pretty darn good.

First things first: Daleks! Lots and lots of daleks! Ok, so as I’ve made it clear in the past, I’m not just a Doctor Who fan, I am a huge dalek fan, so an episode that was going to have every single one ever was bound to appeal to me, right? Well, the problem was, when you bring in every kind of dalek ever and you, you know, cover them in dust completely, you gotta wonder what’s the point, really? Really, you should’ve been showing them off in all their glory! Even the magazine got that right with their CGI dalek cover!

However, what was surprising about that fact is that, really, it’s only a minor, tiny disappointment. Because the real reason I’m a dalek fan isn’t just because of their design, it’s how they’re written, and here, I think they were written pretty darn well. Ok, so asking their greatest enemy for help takes away a little bit from their overall threat level, but that was more than made up for by how well they were overall used: repelling the Doctor by considering pure hate “beautiful”, really creepy moments like the daleks slowly coming to life around Rory, and even the return of the Robo-Men was wonderfully handled.

Oh yes, the Robo-Men. This leads me to another thing I loved about the episode: the horror. The Robo-Men weren’t really scary, but the Robo-fucking-Zombies sure were! Holy shit, Moffat, way to go at seriously traumatising a whole new generation for life! No, seriously, thank you: traumatising children was and continues to be Doctor Who’s bread and butter, so it’s nice to see Moffat continuing to do just that. And the surreal ballroom scene with Amy looked like something out of a David Lynch movie. Overall, I think this the most adult that I’ve seen Moffat push the show in terms of horror. As long as they don’t cross the line completely, I’m all for more of that.

Seeing Amy and Rory split up was…a little unbelievable, personally. Let’s be honest, the two have been through a lot together, and while the reason for Amy giving Rory up wasn’t too bad, giving a little bit more reality to them by Amy not being able to have kids…well, like I said, the two have been through too much to split up and aim to get divorced so quick, so I wasn’t a fan of that, quite honestly. I was just glad they were back together by the end, at least.

Speaking of companions, that was definitely a fantastic little surprise, seeing the new girl in the episode. Boy, they kept that secret, didn’t they? I admit, I was surprised to learn that she was a dalek the whole time, partially because the same actress thing really did throw me off and I was kinda expecting the Doctor to drop her off somewhere, temporarily. What did I think of her? She seemed likeable enough, but her flirtyness was, well, a little too similar to how Amy used to be, really. Moffat, to quote one of your own (non Who) scripts, “There are times when I wonder how you see women.” Still, maybe when she plays the actual new companion, it’ll be someone more shy or quiet. I hope so – it’ll be a needed change when Amy’s gone.

The Daleks being made to forget the Doctor at the end? I saw it coming the moment Oswin erased it from a few daleks – it’s just too good an opportunity to kind of reboot the whole “the Doctor versus the Daleks” story, and in fact continues what started in the Wedding of River Song – the slow but gradual end of the “the Oncoming Storm” and the return of the mysterious traveller that the Doctor once was. I thought that was brilliant.

So overall, I loved the ep. Not only did we have the return of the RTD era daleks, which quite honestly looked the best, much better than Gatiss’s daleks, at least, but we’ve had a decent Dalek story that was at times scary and dramatic. Not as epic as last year’s, and I wished the classic daleks had had a bigger role, but a fine episode, nonetheless. 8/10

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with a lot of what you said....to an extent. Oddly enough, while I still really, really liked the ep, I wasn't blown away. I think it was one of those cases where I went in with insane expectations after watching all of series 6 over last week and was thusly let down. But, as I said, it was still good. Better than most of the drivel that is on tv nowadays, for sure. Now, for a spoiler-y review....

Spoiler:
    First, to hit a big point with me: Amy and Rory's issues. I didn't really find them horribly believable. I know that's an issue many couples have issues with, and theirs would naturally be compounded by the other stuff in their life. But the way it was handled bugged me. It seemed like that was the only source of their issues, and that the went so quickly from fighting to divorced? I think this would have been better understood if we were given some sort of timeframe in which this was taking place. Seemed very rushed....
    Additionally, we were all but promised relationship issues, and to have it resolved so quickly also bothered me. I have a hard time imagining that after such a huge fight worthy of splitting up and kicking Rory out, something as simple as just talking about it for a few minutes in a room would solve all of their problems. They never talked about it before? Really? They should have had that conversation 10 times over before even thinking about getting a divorce.

Like you, James, I REALLY liked the Zombie Dalek Puppets. The view of them on that scanner screen...bone-chilling, almost. Especially when they were holding up that wristband of Amt's to try and convince the Doctor that they were really human. What do you mean, Robo-Daleks had returned? Where had they been in the show before? It was also a ballsy move to try and turn Amy into a Dalek as well. I know it was used as an idea to force Rory to have to look after her again, as it was obvious to me the whole time that it was Amy's idea for him to leave in the first place. And it did leave us wit the brilliant line "Oh, clearly someone's never been to Scotland..."

I really, really liked Oswin. I really did. One of the only true shocks of the ep came from seeing her on screen, and so soon! Wasn't expecting Jenna Louise-Coleman until Dec! Obviously, I'm not sure how they will tie her presence there into her playing a companion (who I assume is going to be a different character) but I do so very much hope it won't be another River Song thing, where he's seen her die and takes her travelling before that point in her history, all the while knowing what her fate is and not telling her. But I don't know if I agree with the idea of wanting her to be a lot shyer than this ep leads us to believe. I liked her this way, and I could handle someone who keeps the Doctor on his toes more than he wants to be. And I didn't see her flirtations as in the same vein as Amy's. Oswin's where much more playful and sarcastic, I think as a result of being trapped inside a Dalek mind for a whole year, really...
    and has no one noticed this plot hole yet? How the hell did Oswin's voice come over the intercom system in the ship, and how did they hear her music, if she was a real Dalek the whole time? Shouldn't have been possible, if the Doctor's assessment of "You're dreaming, because reality is too horrible to face."

I don't know if I am as excited about the idea of the Doctor being erased from the Daleks' minds either. Why was that so easy to do? It'll be good to see where it leads, but the method by which it was done irks me for some reason.

I'll add to that later, as it took far longer than I expected and I do have to go...but those are my initial thoughts, anyways

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Spoiler:
    Agreed a lot about Amy and Rory, which is why it was the weakest part of the episode for me. But it didn't taint it, and everything else I thought was of a pretty high quality.

Oh, and in answer to your question: the Dalek puppets seemed to be heavily based on the Robo-Men from Dalek Invasion of Earth, back in 1964. A very good story, that one. Loved how the Daleks had control over them even when they were dead. As for the Daleks forgetting the Doctor, it was seemed a little easy at first, but the fact she was a dalek the whole time made it easier to swallow, I think.

Also: I loved that Skaro was based on the Skaro seen in the City of the Daleks adventure game, I loved that little connection right there! Seems the tv series is keeping better continuity with the pc stuff than I thought!

Anyway, I'm just glad that in the series is finally getting rid of the "Oncoming Storm" stuff that has practically dominated the image of the Doctor to the Daleks since RTD's first series. Oh, and just as Big Finish seem to be building up that image for the 8th Doctor, too. Perfect timing, really.

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I haven't heard the name of the new companion, but don't you think it's possible that
    Spoiler:
    the Doctor will meet her in her past, before she becomes a Dalek?
    . She is a major cutie, though.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm kind of hoping not, really:
    Spoiler:
    it's just too similar to River Song, for my liking. Also, I've heard a lot of rumours that the new companion's name is "Clara", although I haven't found anything confirmed by the BBC yet, so that's not 100% definite. All the same, it was a real nice surprise to see the actress appear in the first episode. It could be a case of what they had planned for season 27 with McCoy's Doctor: bring a new companion into the mix halfway through the season, but before that, have the same actress play the mother in an earlier story. Who knows, it may even be reversed, and the companion will be Oswin's ancestor. I'm looking forward to seeing what Moffat's got planned, anyway!

And yes, she is definitely a major cutie.

- Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Her name as a companion according to IMDB is
    Spoiler:
    Clara Oswin

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No love for the last two episodes?
    Spoiler:

Wacky robots and dinosaurs! Rory's dad!!!!!!!

Spoiler:

GUNSLINGER!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Once my hype for both Dredd (easily one of my favourite movies of the year) and the first new series of the Thick of It for 3 years dies down, then I'll showing the love for Who again. It's been an interesting few eps, it has to be said: Amy & Rory not being companions at all, no arc at all like last series (which might be the way to go, but I've gotta admit, I really enjoyed the epicness of last season). However, you just know that it's 2013 when the shit starts to get real.

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 120 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 ... LastLast