Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 120 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 113 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 2985

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Huh. I wonder if it's bigger on the...

No, sorry, no. When it comes to really fucking obvious jokes, even i can't finish saying that one.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Huh. I wonder if it's bigger on the...

No, sorry, no. When it comes to really fucking obvious jokes, even i can't finish saying that one.

- Melike

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Haha. People tore through the obvious jokes and puns in the comments on that site.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, thought as much. It's just so..."WTF?!?" There's a difference between an adult enjoying something from or based on a children's show like the usual case in Who merchandise, and there's an adult enjoying something that's friggin' based on a children's show! Yep, definitely too strange for my fan brain!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

....huh.

Weird. Too weird for me this early in the morning. Of course, I don't know what I expected, clicking on a NSFW link....?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Because, unsurprisingly, the discussion between me, Pond and Melike was getting just a little bit off topic, I've decided to continue it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Ok, sweet! Will aim to get season 2 asap, then!

I will be back to them, I just took an early look at Blink. Way too much curious of it. But now I want to skip it, and go back to Human Nature.
    Well, feel free to watch Blink, but make sure to watch HM/FoB before the final 3 eps of the season, at least. It's not just a really powerful story, it's also a bit of a big one.
    Oh, ok, thanks for telling that. I don't want to spoil it, because in general big story is the best.
    Yeah, one thing I do enjoy about the show is that it is one of those shows you can watch out of order and still get a ton of enjoyment out of it. This is especially true of the classic series (well, as long as you watched the whole serial of a story from beginning to end, anyway). But, although the finale to series 3 isn't exactly one of the best, it's still one I really enjoy, with ten minutes of it making me go, "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG". It's definitely one of those stories that, unlike Blink, it does help to have watched the eps of the previous eps of the season beforehand.

- Melike

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Because, unsurprisingly, the discussion between me, Pond and Melike was getting just a little bit off topic, I've decided to continue it here.

Ok, sweet! Will aim to get season 2 asap, then!

I will be back to them, I just took an early look at Blink. Way too much curious of it. But now I want to skip it, and go back to Human Nature.
    Well, feel free to watch Blink, but make sure to watch HM/FoB before the final 3 eps of the season, at least. It's not just a really powerful story, it's also a bit of a big one.
    Oh, ok, thanks for telling that. I don't want to spoil it, because in general big story is the best.
    Yeah, one thing I do enjoy about the show is that it is one of those shows you can watch out of order and still get a ton of enjoyment out of it. This is especially true of the classic series (well, as long as you watched the whole serial of a story from beginning to end, anyway). But, although the finale to series 3 isn't exactly one of the best, it's still one I really enjoy, with ten minutes of it making me go, "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG". It's definitely one of those stories that, unlike Blink, it does help to have watched the eps of the previous eps of the season beforehand.
    So, I wonder, which is your favorite in the new series, when you think the big story and their finale?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Out of the finales, I'd say it's probably still the series 1 finale The Parting of the Ways, just because it had everything:
    Spoiler:
    drama, daleks, and a Doctor's death. Well, I may not exactly count it as a "death", but it was pretty powerful, and besides, I love alliteration.
    This would be followed by The Big Bang, for being a wonderfully epic yet intimate resolution to all the threads of that series.

Favourite BIG stories of each season? It may have divided a lot of fans, but series 6 still comes out on top for me, followed by 5, with 3 coming afterwards. I just loved the whole "Vote Saxon" buildup.

So, Melike, here's a question: out of the fans on this board, you're probably the most enthusiastic atm, after me and Pond, of course. So how long have you been watching the show, then?

- Melike

Out of the finales, I'd say it's probably still the series 1 finale The Parting of the Ways, just because it had everything:
    Spoiler:
    drama, daleks, and a Doctor's death. Well, I may not exactly count it as a "death", but it was pretty powerful, and besides, I love alliteration.
    This would be followed by The Big Bang, for being a wonderfully epic yet intimate resolution to all the threads of that series.

Favourite BIG stories of each season? It may have divided a lot of fans, but series 6 still comes out on top for me, followed by 5, with 3 coming afterwards. I just loved the whole "Vote Saxon" buildup.
    In between which series are the fans divided? 6 and 5?

Ending of The Parting of The Ways is epic; fantastic. But also sad.
    I love Doomsday a lot. Cyberman vs Daleks. Lots of funny moments.

So, Melike, here's a question: out of the fans on this board, you're probably the most enthusiastic atm, after me and Pond, of course. So how long have you been watching the show, then?
    Not sure exactly but I think I am watching it since January. Quite new. My excitement is huge because of this maybe.

I have watched the first episode of the season 1 with Eccleston before, when you had recommended me two or three years ago. DO you remember that? But I couldn't get into the show. Now I see the reason. I love that episode now, but it is not a good one to start with. Feels childish when you do not know the back story.

Anyway, last January I watched The Time of the Angels by coincidence. Not only because of Matt Smith's eccentric Doctor; but because of The Wheeping Angels I just sucked in. Antagonists are the most interesting parts of a story.
    Then I watched season 6 in one and a half day.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Mainly with 6. A lot, including myself, enjoyed the more complex arcs and character development, but a lot also hated it as seeing it as too convuluted and that some of the standalone eps suffered. Like I said, I really loved 6. I do have a couple of problems with it,
    Spoiler:
    mainly Amy's character development as a mother, I didn't like how she was missing her baby daughter one moment and then fine at never getting to raise her the next, at least untill TWoRS where she kills Madame Kovarian,
    but overall I loved it, it's one of my favourite seasons of the show.

Agreed on both. (Even if it's not the "real" Cybermen that the Daleks fight pwn. ) A nice big story. I'll be interested in your thoughts on the series 3 finale. I wasn't sure at first, but it has grown on me over time.

Not sure exactly but I think I am watching it since January. Quite new. My excitement is huge because of this maybe.

I have watched the first episode of the season 1 with Eccleston before, when you had recommended me two or three years ago. DO you remember that? But I couldn't get into the show. Now I see the reason. I love that episode now, but it is not a good one to start with. Feels childish when you do not know the back story.
    I do remember that actually, i think that's why I was surprised that it's only recently you've been showing a lot of love for the show with your sig/av. Yeah, I'll agree that the very early eps of series 1 did come across as a little childish in tone, which is why when I want people to get interested in the show now, I tell them series 5 is the best place to start. It's as much a clean start for the show as series 1 was, with a new Doctor, new TARDIS, new companions, and even new style, but it also kicks off with a much better episode. Can't tell you how much I adore The Eleventh Hour. The first ep of series 1, Rose, that I'm still fond of, as it was the first brand new ep I had watched for 9 years, but I can definitely see how it can be offputting to new viewers of the show.

Anyway, last January I watched The Time of the Angels by coincidence. Not only because of Matt Smith's eccentric Doctor; but because of The Wheeping Angels I just sucked in. Antagonists are the most interesting parts of a story.
    Very impressive! And yes, I love Time of Angels. Massive fan of that one. It's easily in my all time top 10 favourite Who stories ever, with its horror atmosphere, mix of excellent standalone story while really pushing the main arc forward, and Matt Smith at his very best, I think. I wasn't surprised to learn that was the first story they filmed with him as the Doctor, as it allowed him to just jump in, define who his Doctor was, and then go back later and blend in some Tennant in his performance for the earlier eps.

- Melike

Mainly with 6. A lot, including myself, enjoyed the more complex arcs and character development, but a lot also hated it as seeing it as too convuluted and that some of the standalone eps suffered. Like I said, I really loved 6. I do have a couple of problems with it,
    Spoiler:
    mainly Amy's character development as a mother, I didn't like how she was missing her baby daughter one moment and then fine at never getting to raise her the next, at least untill TWoRS where she kills Madame Kovarian,
    but overall I loved it, it's one of my favourite seasons of the show.
    Yeah that was a hole in the story.

Agreed on both. (Even if it's not the "real" Cybermen that the Daleks fight pwn. ) A nice big story. I'll be interested in your thoughts on the series 3 finale. I wasn't sure at first, but it has grown on me over time.

I do remember that actually, i think that's why I was surprised that it's only recently you've been showing a lot of love for the show with your sig/av. Yeah, I'll agree that the very early eps of series 1 did come across as a little childish in tone, which is why when I want people to get interested in the show now, I tell them series 5 is the best place to start. It's as much a clean start for the show as series 1 was, with a new Doctor, new TARDIS, new companions, and even new style, but it also kicks off with a much better episode. Can't tell you how much I adore The Eleventh Hour. The first ep of series 1, Rose, that I'm still fond of, as it was the first brand new ep I had watched for 9 years, but I can definitely see how it can be offputting to new viewers of the show.
    Eleveth Hour is one hell of an episode. One of my favorites. And I appreciate it a lot when you want people get interested in the show; especially Ferny.

Very impressive! And yes, I love Time of Angels. Massive fan of that one. It's easily in my all time top 10 favourite Who stories ever, with its horror atmosphere, mix of excellent standalone story while really pushing the main arc forward, and Matt Smith at his very best, I think. I wasn't surprised to learn that was the first story they filmed with him as the Doctor, as it allowed him to just jump in, define who his Doctor was, and then go back later and blend in some Tennant in his performance for the earlier eps.
    [/QUOTE]
    Wheeping Angels are amazing in the idea. You know I recently saw Blink; so I didn't know
    Wheeping Angels

I try to see episodes in the regular order, but still my Doctor Who timeline is complicated.

I have just met Tennant's Doctor and now I know why people are so in love with him. It must have been difficult for Smith. Pressure to be marvellous. And he did it. Moffat is also another success.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Absolutely! Tennant was a very good Doctor, really performed the role well. I love Smith's interpretation just a little bit more, because he does come across a lot more as an ancient alien trying to blend in and failing a lot of the time. Not quite my favourite - that would be McGann as the 8th, purely for his excellent portrayal of the character in the audio series (and, admittedly, the Doctor that drew me into the show) - but pretty close.

As for your complicated Who timeline, a lot of fans are like that, although it's more common with those who became fans of the classic series, particularly in the 90s. The BBC never released videos or dvds of the old serials in order, in fact they still don't, so back in my early days I was collecting whatever stories I could. One week I'd watch a story of the 3rd Doctor, then one from the 7th (a story so bad it was something like 7 years before I watched anything more of his incarnation, who has ironically become one of my favourite incarnations), then one from the 4th etc. Like I said, that's something I really do enjoy about the show, that you can watch them out of order and still be entertained, to a degree, anyway.

Oh, and as you mentioned both Blink and getting new fans on board: you'll be pleased to know that episode is the one I convinced Jean to watch, and he really enjoyed it! Now to get him to watch the rest of the show!

- Melike

Absolutely! Tennant was a very good Doctor, really performed the role well. I love Smith's interpretation just a little bit more, because he does come across a lot more as an ancient alien trying to blend in and failing a lot of the time. Not quite my favourite - that would be McGann as the 8th, purely for his excellent portrayal of the character in the audio series (and, admittedly, the Doctor that drew me into the show) - but pretty close.

As for your complicated Who timeline, a lot of fans are like that, although it's more common with those who became fans of the classic series, particularly in the 90s. The BBC never released videos or dvds of the old serials in order, in fact they still don't, so back in my early days I was collecting whatever stories I could. One week I'd watch a story of the 3rd Doctor, then one from the 7th (a story so bad it was something like 7 years before I watched anything more of his incarnation, who has ironically become one of my favourite incarnations), then one from the 4th etc. Like I said, that's something I really do enjoy about the show, that you can watch them out of order and still be entertained, to a degree, anyway.

Oh, and as you mentioned both Blink and getting new fans on board: you'll be pleased to know that episode is the one I convinced Jean to watch, and he really enjoyed it! Now to get him to watch the rest of the show!
    As soon as I finish season 3 and 4, I will be looking for the classic series. I want to know all of the incarnations.

Jean is watching The Doctor? Cool. It is a real success sir.
    So, did Shizzie like The Time of The Angels? I have asked him but couldn't get the answer. Believe me if we get him to our side we will gain the power to upgrade the universe.

And... I think, people's first doctor becomes their favorite.
    Last edited by Melike; 05-02-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Remembered some other thing to say.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, Melike is my first doctor.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

As soon as I finish season 3 and 4, I will be looking for the classic series. I want to know all of the incarnations.Jean is watching The Doctor? Cool. It is a real success sir.
    So, did Shizzie like The Time of The Angels? I have asked him but couldn't get the answer. Believe me if we get him to our side we will gain the power to upgrade the universe.

Jean's only watched Blink so far, and that was because it was standalone. I'm hoping he'll watch more eventually, though.

And yes, Fernando really enjoyed Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone. He also liked the first 2 eps of series 5, (hated Victory of the Daleks, though), but he's yet to watch more. Been watching it far too slowly, imo. He likes the show overall, but that's about it, unfortunatly. He's not keen enough to watch every ep. Shocking, I know.

And I think that your first Doctor is your favourite, that's true to an extent. It's really the first Doctor you watch of a story that you really enjoy I think that does it. Pertwee was the first I watched, but McGann was the first one I watched where I began to get what was going on. "Oh, so his spaceship is only DISGUISED as a phone box and is in fact much bigger on the inside? So it's not like Bill & Ted then!"

And don't worry: when you are all caught up, I'll be sure to give you more than a few recommendations, classic series wise!

- Melike

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yeah, I am. Though you are better than me on drugs and medicine.

As soon as I finish season 3 and 4, I will be looking for the classic series. I want to know all of the incarnations.Jean is watching The Doctor? Cool. It is a real success sir.

Jean's only watched Blink so far, and that was because it was standalone. I'm hoping he'll watch more eventually, though.

And yes, Fernando really enjoyed Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone. He also liked the first 2 eps of series 5, (hated Victory of the Daleks, though), but he's yet to watch more. Been watching it far too slowly, imo. He likes the show overall, but that's about it, unfortunatly. He's not keen enough to watch every ep. Shocking, I know.

And I think that your first Doctor is your favourite, that's true to an extent. It's really the first Doctor you watch of a story that you really enjoy I think that does it. Pertwee was the first I watched, but McGann was the first one I watched where I began to get what was going on. "Oh, so his spaceship is only DISGUISED as a phone box and is in fact much bigger on the inside? So it's not like Bill & Ted then!"

And don't worry: when you are all caught up, I'll be sure to give you more than a few recommendations, classic series wise!
    Yes, I meant the same; the first doctor I have wathced was Eccleston. He is not my favorite.

Haha, Daleks are very irritating when you first see them. I hated them. How could they give us such useless things as evil? Antagonists are so important to me. But now I love them. They are the funny part of the show.When a Dalek talks like a hysterical woman, it is hillarious.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yeah, I am. Though you are better than me on drugs and medicine.
    So you feel I should be on drugs and medicine?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Spoiler:
    LSD.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Haha, Daleks are very irritating when you first see them. I hated them. How could they give us such useless things as evil? Antagonists are so important to me. But now I love them. They are the funny part of the show.When a Dalek talks like a hysterical woman, it is hillarious.
    Honestly, I am a huge dalek fan. I don't mean in a funny way, I mean in a serious way. I think they're brilliant, I'm just not sure why. I do think they are very much a product of their time, which may be one reason why the 60s stories (with the exception of the Chase) are some of the best. Another reason though is that those stories were so dark a lot of the time (again, with the exception of the Chase). That's why I think the series 1 stuff with Eccleston was some of the best of the new series, dalek wise. I think it's less them that are so cool and how, in their best stories, their sheer relentlessness really pushes humanity to its limits. At their best, they are truly brilliant creations.

And then they wrote Victory of the fucking Daleks! Seriously: what were they thinking? I know their design is ridiculed a lot, but I still loved nearly all the previous versions. Why did they fuck up that basic design for Skittles? Still, we can at least hope that that'll be sorted out in series 7.

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    LSD.
    Are you prescribing?

If you rescue me

Honestly, I am a huge dalek fan. I don't mean in a funny way, I mean in a serious way. I think they're brilliant, I'm just not sure why. I do think they are very much a product of their time, which may be one reason why the 60s stories (with the exception of the Chase) are some of the best. Another reason though is that those stories were so dark a lot of the time (again, with the exception of the Chase). That's why I think the series 1 stuff with Eccleston was some of the best of the new series, dalek wise. I think it's less them that are so cool and how, in their best stories, their sheer relentlessness really pushes humanity to its limits. At their best, they are truly brilliant creations.

And then they wrote Victory of the fucking Daleks! Seriously: what were they thinking? I know their design is ridiculed a lot, but I still loved nearly all the previous versions. Why did they fuck up that basic design for Skittles? Still, we can at least hope that that'll be sorted out in series 7.
    Unfortunately I first met them in Victory of the Daleks. Cute and hysterical things. But you're right, back in the series they are more than that.

Just watched the season 3 finale. And... Wow. I mean, really... Wow.
    Spoiler:
    The Face of Boe!? You kidding! That was so so awesome.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I know, right? Blew my mind!

'Tis a real pity about the intro to Daleks you had. I was lucky enough to see them first in all their nasty glory in the series 1 ep "Dalek." And that freaked me out. I still don't know if I LOVE them, per se, but they are notably better than a lot of the villains on this show
    Spoiler:
    for the love of god, don't get me started on the Slitheen....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well I thought they were really complex villains, Pond.

Spoiler:
    Lol, just taking the piss, gotta hate those farting bastards!

I think I've only started to love the Daleks recently after not only watching/listening to their 60s stories, but also their spin-off Dalek Empire. Absolutely loved the first season of that. Hoping the rest of the series is good.

And I'm guessing you enjoyed the series 3 finale, Melike? What did you think of
    Spoiler:
    the Master? When he came back in Utopia, I couldn't stop going, "OMGOMGOMGOMG" for the last ten minutes (and some time after that).
    I regularly rewatch those eps every so often really, just for John Simm's glorious performance alone.

- Melike

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    I know, right? Blew my mind!

'Tis a real pity about the intro to Daleks you had. I was lucky enough to see them first in all their nasty glory in the series 1 ep "Dalek." And that freaked me out. I still don't know if I LOVE them, per se, but they are notably better than a lot of the villains on this show
    Spoiler:
    for the love of god, don't get me started on the Slitheen....
    Yeah! Awesome.
    Slitheen. Worst ones.

Well I thought they were really complex villains, Pond.

Spoiler:
    Lol, just taking the piss, gotta hate those farting bastards!

I think I've only started to love the Daleks recently after not only watching/listening to their 60s stories, but also their spin-off Dalek Empire. Absolutely loved the first season of that. Hoping the rest of the series is good.

And I'm guessing you enjoyed the series 3 finale, Melike? What did you think of
    Spoiler:
    the Master? When he came back in Utopia, I couldn't stop going, "OMGOMGOMGOMG" for the last ten minutes (and some time after that).
    I regularly rewatch those eps every so often really, just for John Simm's glorious performance alone.
    [/QUOTE]

I really loved it. As a whole it is a great story, and I agree with you, John Simm is amazing as The Master.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 120 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 113 ... LastLast