Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2985

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

In regards to what was in his room....
    Spoiler:
    I watched it again and I have been thinking about it. Could it possibly be whoever is in the astronaut suit? This hinges on the assumption that the thing he fears the most is his own death, of course, but I think it could work. He looks into the room and says something like "Oh, of course it is you." (forgive me if it is off...I can't listen to it right now and am going off of memory) and then when he is at Lake Silencio, he recognizes the person in the suit again. This could explain how he knows them. Just a thought.....

Also, they have officially announced the schedule for the next two seasons: after Christmas 2011, there will be an Easter 2012 special, series 7 part one will air in autumn 2012, followed by Christmas 2012 special, series 7 part 2 will air in spring 2013, and all of series 8 will air in autumn 2013. Sounds like 2012 will be a bit bare...but 2013 will be absolutely full of Who! I'm excited

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

only the first half of the year (determined to see it as a glass half full)

and yes he does say '
    Spoiler:
    oh, of course its you' - i was more inclined to think the Master, but that would not tie in with the arc?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

20 eps in 2013. Yeah, that would be more than worth the decreased eps of 2012, considering that 2013 is the 50th anniversary. The deep breath before the plunge of total Who, I think! I'll be looking forward to it!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

me too!!!

btw loving the river love Doc

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Also, next year, Tom Baker's finally joining Big Finish, and I should have enough money for both a subscription to the new 4th Doctor adventures and the main range which covers the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Doctors, so 5 seasons of audio adventures should just about compensate!

Oh, and I knew you'd love the River love with my new sig. Even when she's after to kill the Doctor, she's still pretty awesome!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I am excited for Tom Baker audios! Are all of his companions still alive, to join him, or are they taking the route of introducing new companions for him? Either way, it will be brilliant

My Mood
    Yeehaw

They've got 2 seasons planned: for 2012, it's with Leela, and it's set immediately after The Talons of Weng-Chiang, and Geoffrey Beevers is back as the Master, so very, very, very "fuck yes!" for that, and then in 2013 it's the first Romana. I heard they did plan to do a season with Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane, naturally, as she was easily one of the greatest companions ever. It just makes her death just that little bit more tragic than it already was, that we didn't get to hear such a magnificent pair as Baker and Sladen again.

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished the new episode and wow. I totally expected a stand alone episode and got a great episode. It was also a really sad episode too.

Spoiler:
    The ending got me. With River in the space suit under the water. And The Doctor getting the envelopes and the stetson. And the revelation that they are still controlling River somehow. AH I can't wait for the next episode
    If you love me then love me..

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

That was quite possibly the most boring, pointless episode of doctor who in the whole of space and time, only saved by the last 10 minutes

Other people watching with me actually got up and started doing other things, my own mind wandered half way through. really really let down by this episode as i knew it was the penultimate one.
    And why the frig did we have to have those even more pointless two minutes of AMy and Rory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!1

However I am going to ignore for the most part the pointless parts of the episode and focus on the tiny tiny details

Yes, Yaksha it was very sad, especially the little speech he gave to the baby about being very old. And also when he goes to the Tardis and the little kids watch him go.

I loved the tie up with the blue envelopes and the stetson, thank god for those bits as i can now look forward to next week,

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

See, I really enjoyed it. I even got emotional at seeing Amy and Rory, despite it only being 1 week since we've seen them. To me, the point of their scene was to show that life can go on after the Doctor. With the perfume add, and Amy getting attention from the little girl, they were clearly doing fairly well for themselves. People can move on, and still be okay after he leaves in the TARDIS. I thought it was a very poignant scene. It was also strange to see the Doctor in such a vulnerable emotional state in the store. It was difficult to ascertain whether he wanted the Ponds to see him, or not...even, whether he was happy that he saw them. We're essentially told that it's been 200 years in his own timeline between the 2 most recent eps, so it's been a long time for him. It would be a very odd situation.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I also really enjoyed the ep, even the Amy and Rory moment. Certainly I got more emotional seeing them again after a single week than I did when I saw Rose after 2 years. I didn't think it was quite as good as the Lodger, and I was dissapointed at how little the Cybermen were used, but I still thought it was great, especially the last ten minutes. Certainly not as dissapointing to me as Night Terrors was, which was (as with too many of Gatiss's Who eps, imo) only good and not great, certainly not as terrifying as it was advertised to be, bar the occasional moment here and there. Oh, and Smith continues to prove how much of a legend he is in the role: in one single episode we were able to explore both the comedy side and the more tragic, lonely side of his Doctor. Oh, and it wasn't milked for all it was worth, which seemed to happen just a little too often with Tennant's Doc - just the nice little moments here and there. "Why am I talking to you?" says far more about how much the Doctor needs a companion than 2009's specials did altogether, I think.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ho.

Ly.

Fuck.

That was just...bloody hell, that was considerably impressive! I have so much to say about this ep! I'm gonna wait a few hours before posting my thoughts, but the ending especially left me incredibly excited for what's to come. Just...whoa. All I will say for now is I thought it tied up all the loose ends of the series not just rather well, but also you can tell this wasn't something Moffat just made up, he had actually planned for this. Fuck, Mr Moffat, you are a genius!

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am starting the episode right now Dodge. Be back for my thoughts

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Interesting...

I was really wondering how it was going to end, and all come together. I'm excited to see where it goes.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh. My. Fucking. God. That was without a doubt, the best Dr. Who episode I have ever seen. Moffat is a straight up genius of epic proportions. I cheered my ass off the whole way through. Everything about it was great. What a way to end a season. Can't wait for the next one

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I am so confused

Part of me thinks that was the bestest most fabulous episode ever and a part of me keeps nagging that it was a huge cop out. I am off to watch it again (i normally like to leave it a few days before i do my re-watch, but I need to know which of the above - I feel like I am in my own temporal flux)

There were loads of stuff I loved about this episode, too much to go into now as my mind is brimming with loads of Who related stuff and none of my ramblings would make sense to you

I loved loved the shout out to the Brigadeer
    I knew what was going to happen as soon as I saw
    Spoiler:
    Amy bot, But i was curious as to how they would pull it off as the Doctor kept saying he had to be there

I also have a sackload of questions;
    Spoiler:
    A) Why did he have to marry River? I jsut didnt see why that happened? Yes they had to touch and yes River had to see litttle Doc in Big Doc B)How did Robot Doc do the regeneration? When we saw him shot the first time he started to regenerate and then she shot him again stopping it, so how did the Robot Doc achieve that?

God there were loads more, i ws up all night with the questions (sad person that I am)

I will be back, hopefully with a clearer head

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

wow I thought this thread would have been zinging by now

Well I watched it again, and yes its the most weirdest, fabulous episode of Who yet. Loved loads of stuff about it, a few things irked (still dont know the answers to the above)

But now I can't wait for next series, I am wondering how / if they are going to any of the finale material for the new series/50 anniversary. Reading the internet there are now loads of people that have decided Matt Smith goes next series, grrrrr
    Spoiler:
    It never said when 11 fell just where!!!!!

roll on christmas

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if that'll happen.
    And I think I need to rewatch this one again (well maybe I can do all of season 6 before the Christmas special). I don't seem to be as enthusiastic about it as all of you guys for some reason

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Heather - do the rewatch

there were a few that i was little hmmmm about, but when you re-watch them, its a little like 'aha' moment

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Really, Heather? I really enjoyed it. Like candy, I needed to give a 2nd viewing to process it, but yes, I thought it was a very fitting finale to quite the series.

As candy pointed out, the solution...it could've easily been a cop-out. But then, I couldn't help but feel that that was a given.
    Spoiler:
    When you've shown the Doctor's death on screen, I think it's safe to say that you've written yourself into a corner.
    For the payoff to be worth anything, it had to (a) give the impression that there was something planned in advance, and that the solution wasn't thought of at the last minute, and (b) the moment had to leave major, genuine consequences. I think on these two fronts, at least, Moffat did well. The last few minutes in particular seemed to me that this was a major development that Moffat had been wanting to do for a while, but could only do it with a huge story:
    Spoiler:
    effectively destroying the 'lonely god' image that has slowly been building up since the RTD era. I'm not saying there was anything necessarily wrong with that, or that Moffat had a problem with it, especially since he contributed to that image himself a couple of times, particularly in Forest of the Dead and The Eleventh Hour. Considering that all these years the Doctor has saved whole planets and even the universe numerous times, it's perfectly fitting that people all over the universe would start to think of him as some kind of legend. But it's also nice that they're moving away from that now and returning to the mystery of his character. The "Doctor Who?" ending was just a little bit cheesy, but it still sent shivers down my spine, partly due to the build up, and partly because that last shot worked so bloody well.

As for your questions candy: (a), I'm not really sure about, I mean I did like it, but you're right, there wasn't exactly that much reason given for it,
    Spoiler:
    unless it was some kind of weird compensation for River: if I marry you, will you do the right thing and go to prison for my murder?
    , but (b) I can roughly guess at:
    Spoiler:
    considering that they mentioned in Let's Kill Hitler that they accidentally made their double of Rasputin green, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise if they could achieve a light show, which was all that was needed to show the beginning of the regeneration, anyway. Not entirely satisfactory, I know, especially considering that in Let's Kill Hitler they seemed to have difficulty with moving the bloody thing, and I would've loved just a line of dialogue that explained better in the finale of the Doctor tweaking the robot suit up a bit, but still, it's a plot hole I can easily forgive. Especially considering there was a MAJOR hole in LKH filled with this ep: specifically, Amy's reaction to knowing that she's never going to raise her daughter properly. At the time, I thought it was rather odd that she didn't seem exactly upset about it, then she had Madame Kovarium at her mercy, and you realise that she's simply bottled it up all this time, and now she's given the chance to be pissed off at the one responsible. So yeah, I fucking loved that moment.

There was a lot about the episode I enjoyed. I love the new direction given for the show as a result of this ep more than anything. Overall, I have enjoyed series 6 greatly, bar one or two eps, and whilst including such a complicated series long arc with a clear beginning, middle and ending (that lead back to the beginning, of course) was a risk, it paid off. (Ok, so there's also a bit of a multi-series arc going on since series 5, but I still love the fact that something major introduced in the first ep of this series was resolved in the last, something too many series are keen to avoid these days.) I'm also really looking forward to the 50th anniversary as a result of that ending more than ever...and yet, at the same time, I'm also dreading it.
    Spoiler:
    Because 'The fall of the Eleventh' greatly seems to imply that the major question that would most likely be answered in 2013 also seems to imply that it would, logically, be the final episode of Smith as the Doctor. Really facing that prospect, I must admit, it's not something I'm greatly looking forward to, and it really makes me think of how much I've really enjoyed watching Smith in the role. Good thing it's still 2 years away, at least!

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Agree with everything you just put there. Doc

Especially loved that final shot and yes the dialogue was slightly cheesy, but when its put along side that shot, its kinda becomes something more

A lot of people complained about the series Arc this season, saying it had become too complicated, however I feel that they had to do this in order to a) resolve all the unanswered question, which in turn leads to b) being able to lead moffat back where I think he always wanted to be
    Spoiler:
    stand alone story lines about a mad man with a box - i think the last few season have been building him up, esp as you say Doc the RTD era, (look at some of Tennants dialogue (I actually started to go off him in the specials) so for Moffat to have a whole series dedicated to bringing him down was imho genius

I have the whole series on planner to re=-watch (again) and i am really looking forward to it knowing the ending. I think i may need to buy previous series though as I want to see Rivers story again from the start (ie the library,) I have dr Confidential to watch tonight (apparantley the last one as they have scrapped it!!!!!) which is dedicated to River.

My most pressing question is can anyone remember what River sonic looked like in the library? Did it look like 11's?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

No, unfortunatly not, candy. It looked similar to Tennant's, but with a couple of added attatchments, and with a red end instead of a blue one, i think.

And yes, agreed with everything you said, candy.
    Spoiler:
    This wasn't an arc done purely for the sake of confusing viewers, this was a story of bringing the doctor down from his pedestal. I'm looking forward to the release of series 6 on blu ray more than ever now, as I think this is a series that deserves to be watched in full, as a 13 episode arc of the Doctor's gradual fall from his pedestal before finally finding the will and the purpose to cheat death once more and keep on travelling.
    So yeah, really looking forward to what happens next but also glad to have a break from it for a while so I can recover. Well, recover and of course, watch the whole of series 6 over and over again and see what i missed the previous times! Also, of course, I've got a few classic Who dvds that I haven't got round to watching yet and, best of all, a new McGann audio season starts this month! Brilliant!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I would come in and post my thoughts on the ep, but I think it will be quicker to say that I basically agree with everything Dodge has already posted! Specifically, though, I am very happy at the direction they are taking with series 7. I mean,
    Spoiler:
    we've had 2 series finales in a row now where the survival of the entire universe is at stake. Recently, everything has been on such a huge, universal scale...it will be nice to see them go back to the mystery of this strange alien traveling all of time and space in a blue box. Too bad we have to wait a year for it, though...

Well I guess I'm in the minority
    I was just talking to DD about this earlier. Which leads me to what alkanto said
    Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Spoiler:
    we've had 2 series finales in a row now where the survival of the entire universe is at stake. Recently, everything has been on such a huge, universal scale...it will be nice to see them go back to the mystery of this strange alien traveling all of time and space in a blue box. Too bad we have to wait a year for it, though...
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for and have been hoping they would get back to for some time now. That's what I've really been missing with this past season, and I think why I've had a hard time with it. Maybe I'll appreciate it more on a rewatch going into it knowing how it'll end and the purpose for it.

And one silly thing that has been bothering me is why is it that the Doctor chose Amy and Rory to be there for his death. Is it just because of River? I would imagine that within 200 years he's traveled thru space and time with other companions. So why not whoever he had been traveling with last? Or should I just except it for the sake of continuity with the show

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Well I guess I'm in the minority
    I was just talking to DD about this earlier. Which leads me to what alkanto said
    Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Spoiler:
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for and have been hoping they would get back to for some time now. That's what I've really been missing with this past season, and I think why I've had a hard time with it. Maybe I'll appreciate it more on a rewatch going into it knowing how it'll end and the purpose for it.

And one silly thing that has been bothering me is why is it that the Doctor chose Amy and Rory to be there for his death. Is it just because of River? I would imagine that within 200 years he's traveled thru space and time with other companions. So why not whoever he had been traveling with last? Or should I just except it for the sake of continuity with the show
    Who's to say that Amy and Rory weren't the last companions he had in 200 years? The events of The God Complex would've left him keen to be on his own and not get into adventures for a long time, I think. But I think it was more to have
    Spoiler:
    the closest thing to a family he has with him. In this case, rather literally, even though Amy and Rory weren't aware of it at the time: his wife, and his in-laws. The fact that they also had to set in motion a chain of events that would lead him to that fixed point might've also had something to do with it, but I'd say having River and her family there would've made the most sense.

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast