Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Thankee. It's really cool to see the interweaving, and you're so right about Baker's being classic. I think that's the point at which the show turned and didn't seem to be quite so... B grade, for lack of a better word.

I'm getting anxious to see some new Doctor Who. We've had nothing... NOTHING here since the last full season finale. I'm tempted to look up these specials that I've heard you folks in the UK got to see but we didn't.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, i know the US had The Next Doctor broadcast in June and Planet of the Dead in July on BBC America, so not quite nothing, Woofer. Unfortunatly, ScyFy (that's what it's called now, isn't it?) has given up on Doctor Who, so you're only able to legally watch the two specials on either BBC America or on DVD. And you didn't get it so bad this time: Planet of the Dead was broadcast only 3 months after transmission! That's better than ScyFy ever did! It was a full year before Series 1 was broadcast in the US after the UK got to see it!

Btw, UK fans: 3rd series of the Sarah Jane Adventures starts soon. Now, although i love Sarah Jane, especially in the Golden Age of Tom Baker, the spinoff didn't really grab me, considering it is aimed at kids. Watched the first two eps and thought, "hmmmmmmm."

However, this series I'll definitely watch at least two episodes: the middle two parter has the Doctor turning up! Fucking brilliant! Considering we've only got 3 actual episodes of David Tennant left in Doctor Who, this will be something I will be looking forward to a lot!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

OMG...

Fans on this board, you're gonna be interested in this: a brand new logo is being revealed at 8:00am tomorrow UK time!

Let me express my feelings about this in this manner:

OK, maybe with most tv shows, a logo isn't really that much to get excited about, but this isn't most shows. Doctor Who's many logos have helped to define the show in so many eras, from when the show used the diamond logo throughout the seventies (arguably the most distinctive logo to date), to when the show was brought back and given a brand new look to make it look distinctly different to how the show had gone before. The fact that Moffat has a new logo is fantastic: it means the series really can start from scratch and act as its show! Fan-fucking-tastic!

(That plus the show will hopefully no longer have a surfboard! )

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

just watched journeys end again, and bawled my eyes out.
    i knew what was coming and i think that made i worse somehow

Spoiler:
    donna really grew on me and it just seemed so sad that she had to loose everything that made her grow on me very sad

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I know what you mean, pendle witch. Out of all the companions, Donna's always been my favourite.

Btw...

Have you seen the trailer for the xmas specials on youtube yet? It's pretty low quality, but I think you might like it. Depends how much you want to spoil for yourself, really.

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

no, i am avoiding it i am trying not to spoil it

i am even trying to avoid the new dr who snippets i keep seeing to make sure i dont pre judge

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Probably the best thing to do, PW. I must admit I'm a lover of mild spoilers, or at least anything officially announced by the BBC, but I avoid any major spoilers at all costs!

What would you say you're looking forward to more though: the upcoming specials or the brand new series with Steven Moffat as lead writer? Considering Moffat's eps so far have been nothing short of brilliant, I've gotta say I'm looking forward to what he does with the show a lot more!

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i'm looking forward to the specials, but Planet of the Dead was, i found a little bit weak so i am hoping that they pick up the pace a little with the next two. Which hopefully they will do as its all change (if you catch my drift)

But i am also looking forward to the new series just as much, although as you know with a little trepidation, but because the writing is fantastic, its eased my nervousness - its the whole donna character really. I was one those booing when catherine tate was announced but god she changed that character round, and the writers did a fantastic job. If you had have asked me when tate first came on board if i would get so attached to her that i would be sobbing on the finale i would have thought you insane. (favourite donna ep:- forest of the dead

so doc, how bout you? specials or new series

My Mood
    Yeehaw

New series. As big as Tennant leaving is, and as much as I'm sure that RTD is going to give him a fantastic finale (Planet of the Dead wasn't exactly "special", true, but I can forgive it's lightheartedness for being an Easter special, after all), I'm just looking forward to all the changes they're bringing into the show. Considering that it really is all change like you said, it almost feels like it was 5 years ago: looking forward to a brand new series of Dr Who, but not having a clue what it's going to be like: the style, the Doctor, heck, even the title sequence! I've got my fingers crossed, though!

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

your right, it is going to be a whole new show.But the fact that the people staying are still Dr who lovers makes me hopeful that they are not going to go and do a Stargate Universe on me and pimp it up

I just got into torchwood, i am on the second series so far, are you a torchwood fan too or is it Who all the way?

btw; i saw a trailer for the sarah jane offspin the other day with DT guest staring and i am considering sky plusing it (even though i will have no idea whats going on, its still The Dr!)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Love Torchwood. 1st series was ok at best, but it really kicked off from the 2nd series. And the 3rd series Children of Earth was nothing short of pheonomenal.

I only just got into the Sarah Jane Adventures recently. Not bad for a kids show, but really i'm just watching it because of the upcoming DT eps.

Having said that, last week's episode was brilliant when Sarah Jane had her entire life flash before her eyes, which naturally included clips from New Who, earlier Sarah Jane eps...and classic Who clips which showed how Sarah first met then left the Doctor. Fantastic!

You can catch the series 3 episodes on bbc iplayer atm. Opening eps to the series were alright, but the 2nd two-parter was sooooooo much better!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok: so this week's episodes of the Sarah Jane Adventures wasn't a brand new Doctor Who special, but it was the veryveryveryvery next best thing: an appearance by the Doctor at Sarah Jane's wedding!

Best moments for Classic Who fans:
    Spoiler:
    • The reference to the Key to Time season
    • "Don't forget me, Sarah." Nice little reference, there!

Best moment for New Who fans:
    Spoiler:
    • A good little reference to the Stolen Earth 2 parter, naturally!

But perhaps best of all, a hint of what's to come...
    Spoiler:
    The mention of "the Gate" by the trickster. Once again, another mini prophecy that almost (but not quite) tells us fuck all!

So come on: who else watched it? Who else loved it? And, perhaps far more importantly, which non-UK fans is currently jealous of us lucky, lucky UK fans for seeing brand new Tennant episodes before you?

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

missed it, was out drinking dirty beer

anyhoo, 2 weeks today for the next special

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, 2 weeks tomorrow: 7.00pm, Sunday 15th November, as announced by David Tennant. Odd that it's a Sunday, but who cares: brand new Who, wahey!

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i saw the 15th and thought that was the saturday. ery strange a sunday, but whoooo hoooo a brand new one. Then not too long for the 2 specials that signal a full change

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

1 hour and 30 minutes to go before the brand new special

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Watched Waters of Mars an hour ago. Trying to articulate how brilliant it was, and...

Wow. Just, wow. I still can't describe how great it was. ESPECIALLY compared to Planet of the Dead.

As candy said, bring on the xmas specials!

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

well most of this is going to be in a spoiler but i had to come on to discuss with the other uk dr whooers

firstly the waters of mars was so much better than the planet of the dead.

now (sorry) for the spoilers -water of mars spoilers rampant
    Spoiler:
    wow, so now we know what happens when the dr doesn't have a companion for a while? he forgets his human empathy and turns all Time Lord Victorious. he reminded me of the master, with the whole no one can stop me now thing at the end. but i get ahead of myself (sorry)

was it me or did he seem really really lost at the start of this episode, as if he was trying really hard to have fun but had forgotten how? the whole dr of fun quip and all.

then when he wouldn't help it reminded me of pompei with donna, which he did mention later on

oh my god but the end........... i loved it, and then the clip of donna!!!! and the master.... i really dont think i can wait
    i know i am rambling but i could quite easily have quoted the whole thing, so much better than the previous special

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    well most of this is going to be in a spoiler but i had to come on to discuss with the other uk dr whooers

firstly the waters of mars was so much better than the planet of the dead.

now (sorry) for the spoilers -water of mars spoilers rampant
    Spoiler:
    wow, so now we know what happens when the dr doesn't have a companion for a while? he forgets his human empathy and turns all Time Lord Victorious. he reminded me of the master, with the whole no one can stop me now thing at the end. but i get ahead of myself (sorry)

was it me or did he seem really really lost at the start of this episode, as if he was trying really hard to have fun but had forgotten how? the whole dr of fun quip and all.

then when he wouldn't help it reminded me of pompei with donna, which he did mention later on

oh my god but the end........... i loved it, and then the clip of donna!!!! and the master.... i really dont think i can wait
    i know i am rambling but i could quite easily have quoted the whole thing, so much better than the previous special
    I know! The Waters of Mars was just incredible! (Sorry to those fans in the US, Canada and everywhere else that has to wait for it!)

Spoiler:
    "It's taken me all this time to realise that the Laws of Time are mine, and THEY WILL OBEY ME!" Best. Quote. Ever! And you're right, candy, there was something very Master-ish about him when he went all Time Lord Victorious.

I think that's why i love the character of the Doctor: the fact that one moment, he can appear to be a clear cut hero, and the next, you're reminded of what he really is: a renegade. Someone who went on the run from his own people just because he was bored. To be honest, without the Time Lords, it's easy to see from this episode and the classic series how inevitable it was for him to go power crazy without the Time Lords to stop him. In those final ten minutes, the Doctor was far more scarier than the Flood. Absolutely brilliant!

And that trailer was fucking awesome!

"My name...is the Master!"

I'm just a little more wary about Donna returning, tbh. Don't get me wrong - out of all four of the new series, she's easily my favourite companion - but that's why i'm wary. She was given such an emotional and brilliant exit. Like Rose did in Doomsday. Before RTD ruined it with Journey's End. As much as I loved that episode - with its awesome mega crossoverness - Rose's return is really the main thing that annoys me. So i hope that, when Donna returns, she's given a much better comeback than Rose got!

- Melike

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

just watched the waters of mars on youtube (say thankya razzle dazzle). and oh. my. god.

i agree with you candy and doctordodge. without a companion he is so lost and he went completely mental didn't he? i sat through the end actually yelling at the computer "what in the fuck are you fucking doing" (which, by the way, did NOT impress my dog at all! ).

i felt so sad for him, he seemed so lost and alone. then to turn all . . . god i don't know what he turned. he almost seemed manic there, like "i'm oz the great and terrible and i can do anything!!!!!!!" it was scary.

is it me or was this episode actually darker than anything else they've done. even the ones where they have him get all kick ass and take names? i kind of wonder if he isn't going to end up getting himself regenerated by pulling another "i'm the king of creation" trips. . . . ?

did you guys catch in the voice-overs when he was walking away from the station that he was reliving losing rose? i think that's what tipped him over the edge finally. realizing that he had let her go and maybe he really didn't have to. . . i think that's the one thing in his long life that he'll never get over and never forgive himself for (even though a part of him is with her).

. . . but i'm paralyzed with not caring very much.
    ~ spike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Today I watched the first ep of series 4 with the little alien lard balls. While the idea is a little disturbing the little fuckers were kind of cute.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rosie real View Post
    just watched the waters of mars on youtube (say thankya razzle dazzle). and oh. my. god.

i agree with you candy and doctordodge. without a companion he is so lost and he went completely mental didn't he? i sat through the end actually yelling at the computer "what in the fuck are you fucking doing" (which, by the way, did NOT impress my dog at all! ).

i felt so sad for him, he seemed so lost and alone. then to turn all . . . god i don't know what he turned. he almost seemed manic there, like "i'm oz the great and terrible and i can do anything!!!!!!!" it was scary.

is it me or was this episode actually darker than anything else they've done. even the ones where they have him get all kick ass and take names? i kind of wonder if he isn't going to end up getting himself regenerated by pulling another "i'm the king of creation" trips. . . . ?

did you guys catch in the voice-overs when he was walking away from the station that he was reliving losing rose? i think that's what tipped him over the edge finally. realizing that he had let her go and maybe he really didn't have to. . . i think that's the one thing in his long life that he'll never get over and never forgive himself for (even though a part of him is with her).

i am soooo glad you got to watch it and glad you loved it, i think it rates as one of my favourite episodes. it was very very dark, its definatley leading up to something HUGE!!!! so does this mean you will be able to watch the christmas specials too? ooooo thats so exciting

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Today I watched the first ep of series 4 with the little alien lard balls. While the idea is a little disturbing the little fuckers were kind of cute.
    they were just gross weren't they? but at the same time you did just want to pick one up an take it home and i could see how people would want these little blighters to come along and do their stuff. (tbh i am still waiting for mine

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Tenant's Doctor has undergone such an amazing arc. From the moment of his awakening (What kind of man am I? That's the kind of man I am) through his delightful moments, then his tragic moments and his steady progression into solitude and dispair. Waters of Mars is, in many ways, the culmination of all this, where he ends up looking for something beyond what he's entitled to. Can't wait for the Christmas special to see how it all wraps up.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post

i am soooo glad you got to watch it and glad you loved it, i think it rates as one of my favourite episodes. it was very very dark, its definatley leading up to something HUGE!!!! so does this mean you will be able to watch the christmas specials too? ooooo thats so exciting

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    they were just gross weren't they? but at the same time you did just want to pick one up an take it home and i could see how people would want these little blighters to come along and do their stuff. (tbh i am still waiting for mine
    How they looked, and waved, and danced to their spaceship to go meet mommafatball and daddyfatball? Awww!

I gotta' wonder how they'd feel about me throwing a few french fries and mozzarella sticks at them and dropping their asses in the deep fryer though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I know what you mean rosie about the Doctor going mental. When he said "I'm not the survivor...I'm the winner!", I probably would've gone "what the fuck are you fucking doing?!?" myself if i wasn't watching it with my parents! Seriously, though, I hated/loved every second of that moment. It just makes the Doctor that little more morally ambiguous. It's nice to have him as a proper hero most of the time, but it's even nicer if you're made to question why he does it in the first place: because he genuinely cares about the "little people", or just because he likes the thrill of it more than he cares to admit?

I don't just think it's a companion he needs, though. In that moment, he had finally gotten over his grief of losing the Time Lords...and realised that he lives in a universe without the Time Lords, the only race in the universe who held him back in the classic series. In that moment, he suddenly realised he could do all the things he wanted to back in the old series, and this time, there were no Time Lords to stop him, no Time Lords to exile him whenever he did something wrong.

(This is why I continually recommend the War Games and the Deadly Assassin to new fans: if you want to find out what the Doctor's relationship with his own race was really like, those two stories definitely give you a pretty good idea!)

Now, I have no idea what's coming next apart from what I saw in that trailer, but personally, I think the Waters of Mars has set up for a whole lot more than just the Master coming back!

But there's something else I've realised about the Waters of Mars, though: in just one episode we've had a darker, more ambigous "hero", white eyed scary-as-fuck zombies, and even a suicide. Now that's what I call family entertainment!

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 ... LastLast