Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Can anybody find me a link to The Next Doctor?

I need to find it online.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Unfound One: it's not an ideal way to watch The Next Doctor, but here's a link to part one on youtube: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MICHKSN43k"]YouTube - The Next Doctor Part 1[/ame]

Currently I'm listening to a weird arsed 7th Doctor story. Very...erm...mental, i believe is the word. I'm liking it! Not loving it, mind, like the recent 5th Doctor season but liking it, all the same!

Right, Who fans, lets keep our minds occupied over the coming months until The Waters of Mars. This has probably been done before, but like i said, it's something to keep us occupied. So, question time, everyone!

How'd you discover Doctor Who?

What appealed to you about it?

Who's your favourite Doctor?

Any MAJOR character you're hoping to return soon?

Spoiler:
    And has anyone noticed that "Waters of Mars" is an anagram of "Masters of War"? Just a thought...
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok then, me first!

For me, that's difficult to say. I distinctly remember watching loads of repeats of Doctor Who back when i was really really little. The only things that i can remember about that were the theme tune and Jon Pertwee's face. The moment i became a fan though was when i was 8 and i heard about the dramatic return of Doctor Who! It was in 1996, and obviously it was for one night only, but ever since then, i've never stopped trying to catch up, lol!

Sort of the same things that appealed to me about the Dark Tower: it's much, much more than just one genre. Although it has a distinct scifi feel, just as the Dark Tower has a distinct western feel, the fact that it can completely change style week after week, ranging from shocking horror to hilarious comedy, is always gonna make me a fan. The gothic horror of the seventies is always gonna be my favourite era. But mainly, i just love it cos it's so bloody FUN!

Difficult. Both the 3rd and 8th Doctors were what you'd call MY doctors. I'd say though that, despite being in only one tv story, the 8th is gonna be my favourite, he just had such STYLE and mystery about him in that one story. Such a blooming shame he never had the chance to do even one full series like Eccleston did!

I'm pretty sick of the Daleks, to be honest, but then again who isn't? I'd like them to return one day, just not anytime soon! Of course, one villian i'd love to see again is definitely the Master, as played by John Simm, he really was a return to being the Doctor's equal like he had been in his early years. If he does return in the 10th Doctor's finale, and the Daleks DO make a return...well, that re-union i would kinda like. I would like to see a LOT!

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

ok me second;

not so sure it would be discovered as such as i just remember it being on when i was younger. tom baker (4th dr)was the dr at the time, but by the time i was old enough to watch and enjoy peter davidson (5th)was the dr. i've watched it all my life all the way through each regeneration, including the 8th dr film and more recently the 9th and 10th dr

when i was younger it was the whole scary monsters thing going on,
    as i have gotten older its the sci fi part that has entranced me, along with the humour. I am a real sci fi geek, but more so if the humour is there also (i am also a huge stargate fan for the same reason)

OH, this is a tough one. I have a nostalga for Peter Davidson as he was the first one i ever really saw. (stick of celery anyone)
    but i also loved chris eccleston, and i know i am in a minority on that one, but i also think he was a damaged dr due to the whole time war thing, wheras when he became the 10th dr he had healed a lot (he does mention this in journeys end)

agree that the daleks have had their time for the moment, also the cyber man. both just seemed to get done to death over the last 3 series
    now then, if your looking at old enemies i would love to see the black guardian
    from the newer series vashta nerada - loved the whole its a library not a forest thing.

if i can add another question doc?favourite episode.
    9th dr - the empty child
    10th dr - blink

My Mood
    Yeehaw

D'oh! How could i have forgotten favourite episode?

New series...Forest of the Dead. Great horror, great humour, and best of all, FANTASTIC title!

Old series: it's a tie between The War Games and The Deadly Assassin. Two stories that are FINALLY going to be released on dvd this year! So looking forward to those!

I agree with ya candy that no. 9 is certainly a more damaged doctor than what had been seen before. It really was a great way to begin the series afresh by essentially seeing the Doctor starting again from scratch, learning to bond with companions once more. Much like what is happening now, in fact. Gotta say I would love to see the 8th Doctor RIGHT before he regenerated. I would imagine the end of his life to be something of a completely broken man, perhaps even suicidal at seeing the end of his race. God, the dramatic possibilities for the Time War are ENDLESS!

Also agree with ya about the Black Guardian. Recently i listened to the audio series The Key 2 Time with the 5th Doctor, and I must say, that David Troughton is brilliant as the Black Guardian! Gives him a whole different angle, really. Would love to see him like he was in K2T in the new series!

- Melike

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Doctor Dodge - THANK YOU for the link!

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i know what you mean about the 8th doc and the whole time war thing. there is whole world of possbilities there, but i doubt they will use it as it 'gone' unless they do a special going back one????? i was going to say a special time travel one - and actually dohed out loud!!!

and can i say - you did remarkabley well with a hang over. you actually made sense

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i know what you mean about the 8th doc and the whole time war thing. there is whole world of possbilities there, but i doubt they will use it as it 'gone' unless they do a special going back one????? i was going to say a special time travel one - and actually dohed out loud!!!

and can i say - you did remarkabley well with a hang over. you actually made sense
    Well, perhaps they could do the Time War story in animation form, which considering the HUGE number of audio stories Paul McGann has done for Big Finish, isn't that much of a stretch of the imagination. Or perhaps they could do it in flashback form. Anything with a prequely (is that a word? prequelish?) title would be awesome: "Doctor Who: The Time War Chronicles!"

Oh, and two points about the hangover, candy. One, I actually don't get them nearly as bad as other people do, honestly i've just got a sore neck and I've felt like my feet were in the air and my head was on the ground. Two, I'm a sad enough guy to think up a billion geeky theories about Doctor Who even when I'm recovering from one HELL of a night out!

- Melike

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

all i have to say is this:

why the fuck isn't doctor who currently running in the states? all i hear about is the doctor this and the doctor that.

WHAT ABOUT ME AND MY DOCTOR WHO NEEDS???????

that is all.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Look on the bright side, TLoS: the ONLY thing that's happening this year are very, VERY occasional specials. There's only 2 episodes that haven't been shown in the US, and those are specials designed for the holidays, like The Christmas Invasion and Runaway Bride. So here's the bright side: both the UK and the US are equally fucked this year. 2010's when we're getting a new series. It's gonna be helmed by Steven Moffat, though, so it will be SO worth the extra wait!

Fuck, i've spent over a hundred quid (so far) this year just so i could listen to new stories of old doctors. That's pretty much the only thing that's keeping me from going mad - like, John Simm Master mad - with waiting!

- Melike

the christmas invasion and the runaway bride are from the last series/season. i want something new. something before tennant leaves. just when i have started to like him he up and leaves on me. wanker.

i know, whiny bitch aren't i?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by The Lady of Shadows View Post

Yeah, but it's adorable!

And now i'm a little more worried for when you'll get to see new Who in the US. See, the xmas specials like the xmas invasion, runaway bride and voyage of the damned were transmitted MONTHS before the actual series started. It's kind of an odd tradition in the UK to make a special one off episode for xmas or new year's. You were sorta lucky in the US in that those specials you got to see at maximum one week before the rest of the series. If the scifi channel isn't going to show this years specials until series 5...

Doesn't bear thinking about really, does it?

- Melike

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lady of Shadows View Post

Yeah, but it's adorable!

And now i'm a little more worried for when you'll get to see new Who in the US. See, the xmas specials like the xmas invasion, runaway bride and voyage of the damned were transmitted MONTHS before the actual series started. It's kind of an odd tradition in the UK to make a special one off episode for xmas or new year's. You were sorta lucky in the US in that those specials you got to see at maximum one week before the rest of the series. If the scifi channel isn't going to show this years specials until series 5...

Doesn't bear thinking about really, does it?
    purple =

and i didn't get to see the specials until i saw the dvds, or saw them on netflix.
    as for the rest of it - I WANT MY DOCTOR WHO GOD DAMN!

i've got the youtube link for the easter special. are there others that we lowly americans don't know about yet?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sorry to say that the Easter special Planet of the Dead is all there is atm. There won't be any other episodes for several months at least. Which sucks. And blows.

Sorry to dissapoint ya, TLoS. I feel your pain. Just remember one thing: i discovered Who back in 1996. I had to wait 9 years for another new episode! Not the best of times for the show, i must say.

- Melike

okay, maybe i'll tone down my bitching a little bit. six fucking years?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

No, no, you read that wrong, it wasn't that long. Nine. NINE fucking years!

I think it was even worse when it was announced that it was going to return than when i thought there wouldn't be any more episodes ever. The fact that it was returning i didn't have a problem with, i just couldn't believe it, i was amazed, i was ecstactic, i was...

Infuriated. Why?

November 2003. That's when they announced it. November 2003. And it returned in March 2005. Month by month not having a CLUE what the grand return would be like. Ugh! Worst time of my life. At least before I had accepted that it was NEVER going to return. Waiting for the show was AGONY.

But you know what? It was SO fucking worth it!

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

to TloS - have you seen the Plant of the dead on you tube? what did you think? did you manage to see it all or was it just a trailer?

doc looooovvvvve the idea of the timewar chronicles!!!! we should make up our own stories while we wait for BBC to get their fingers out their arse

and while we are whinging - - - - -i blame david tennant, if he had given up the mantle to the next dr who this year we would have had a proper series, but no he wanted his cakes and eating them to, so because he did not want to give up the dr but he wanted to play hamlet or whoever, he only had time to do specials. grrrrrrrrr

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The wait is infuriating, i must agree with ya candy, but let's not put too much blame on Tennant. There's also the change in production team to consider. They've got a lot to sort out to guide the show the way they want to guide it. Myself, i'm hoping for a very big change in the show when series 5comes along. I don't mean so big that it's starting out from scratch and becomes aimed at adults only like Battlestar Galactica, but more the kind of big change like having a darker tone, a change to the tardis interior and, who knows, maybe even a new logo. Don't know how they managed such monumental changes in the past.

However, whilst i'm not putting too much blame on Tennant, i'm still giving him a healthy dose. One moment, he's taking a year off to do specials only, which considering the amount of running he does in every episode, i thought it was fair for him to take a little bit of a break doing Shakespeare, and the next, he's leaving for good! When i heard that, i couldn't help but think, make your bloody mind up!

- Melike

i have the link to the easter special saved but i haven't had time to watch it yet. maybe tonight. :crosses fingers:

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

my lips are sealed then tlos until you have seen it. then you must come straight back here and let me know what you thought.

doc, not sure how much change they will make when the 11th doctor comes in, but i think he will definatley be a different doctor much as 9 and 10 were different (loved the ending of the xmas special when he was trying to decide what type of a man he was)

as its a whole new production team though they may well change a whole lot - a new slate (tbh i am a bit worried about russell t davies going) things likethe interior, i also have a feeling they will also tie up all the old companions in a way that the viewer wont always be expecting them to turn up (like martha always seems to pop up now and again)

Spoiler:
    talking of which i always felt sorry for martha, just one season and puff gone, never really given a fighting chance

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Spoiler:
    Personally i always felt more sorry for Donna than for Martha. Martha enjoyed her time in the TARDIS, but equally she also hated it: she was in love with a man who didn't love her back, her family ended up getting arrested and tortured, and she was stuck on Earth for a year going across the entire world risking life and limb to tell a story. Also she had a pretty good life waiting for her at home: a decent family, a really good job that allowed her to help people. Personally i think the only reason she went through time and space was just to be with the Doctor. At least she got a happy ending with that medical bloke who technically died for her, and also got to make further appearances in series 4 and Torchwood.

I always felt more sympathy with Donna. She saw the worst of the universe and she STILL wanted to travel with the Doctor, because, unlike Martha, she didn't have that much at home: a mother who always knew best, a shit job working as a temp, and the last man she went out with not only secretly hated her but got himself killed on the day she was supposed to be getting married to him. And, when she had finally gotten some confidance in herself, when she finally realised she could make a difference after all, what happened? She had all of it taken away from her, and worst of all, she didn't even know it. I positively CRIED when i watched her leave in Journey's End!

Phew, i had no idea i was THAT much of a geek! Sorry about that! I love this show WAY too much!

- Melike

*coughgeekcoughcough*

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, i'm most certainly a geek, TLoS, but remember: i always remain fucking awesome at the same time!

- Melike

never questioned that part of it.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i think we should rename this thread; theladyoftheshadowsdocdodgecandy fuckin awsome thread.

anyhoo, my 2 fellow dr geeks, i know the feeling about the crying - to say its supposed to be sat evening light entertainment!!!

i cried when Rose had too much of the tardis in her (series 1 of the new lot)
    and then again when i watchd it on confidential - they played snow patrol run in the background while she did the whole 'i see everything' speech. (sad but true fact, because of that clip i used Run for my first dance at my wedding)

then i cried when ......
    Spoiler:
    rose was put into another dimension

and again when ......
    Spoiler:
    donna had to have her memories taken away

in fact the only time i didnt was with martha. who your right doc, did have a fab home life but ...... oh i dont know, the whole character just felt wasted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast