Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yes, indeed, though it's been a long time and I don't recall it well. We have a positively obscene amount of the old Doctor Who on videocassete at my house.
    Haha, i'm exactly the same. Well, with hardly any actual new Doctor Who on the telly this year (it's almost like living in the 90s again!), now's the time to dig those tapes out! Myself, i'm currently making my way through season two. Not series two, but the original SEASON two with william hartnell. I love how mysterious the doctor was at first. And, having watched the Romans for the 1st time recently, i was AMAZED at finding out just how close ian and barbara were! I'd take Ian/Barbara to Doctor/Rose any day!
    Honestly before a few years ago I'd never seen the show at all. When I moved in my roommate fixed that though. Our (his) collection is about a four or five foot bookshelf full from the ceiling to the floor. Much of these I've yet to see though. Mostly what I've watched is the new series and the Tom Baker ones (and not all of them) so far.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My recommendation is to try and watch the show from the beginning. Try finding stories An Unearthly Child, The Daleks, and The Edge of Destruction. The first episode ever is an all time classic, even if the 3 eps after that are kinda dull. Then you've got the original 7 part Dalek Story, which whilst LONG is essential viewing, and has a bloody good cliffhanger. Last story? Dull but short. Might as well watch the original 13 episodes whilst waiting for the next bunch of 13 eps for next year!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I may have to have a look and see if we have them.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

In preparation for Season 3 I have just finished my marathon of the 8th Doctor Adventures Season 2. Bloody brilliant series. Paul McGann is always awesome as the 8th Doctor, and the finale Vengeance of Morbius still gives me the chills. With the double cliffhanger of

Spoiler:
    the 8th Doctor saving space and time by battling ancient enemy of the Time Lords Morbius over a deep canyon but falling to his death as a consequence and his companion Lucie Miller getting shot 6 months later on Earth,

I'd say Season 3 has a lot to live up to. Should be good, though!

Hmmm, first Watchmen, then brand new Doctor Who. Anyone else think this is shaping up to be a FANTASTIC weekend?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, four weeks of listening to the return of the 8th Doctor so far, absolutely brilliant, but i won't go into that just yet. I'm just here to ask...

WHO ELSE SAW THE AWESOME PLANET OF THE DEAD TRAILER?!?? WOOHOO!

Ahem. Sorry about that! But since there hasn't been any new tv who in since xmas, one cannot help but "SQUEE!" in anticipation! Can't believe it's only under a couple of weeks until Easter! Doctor Who and Red Dwarf. Allow me to drool again!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

dude, epic! when the fuck does the Christmas special air Stateside?!
    i bet this is punishment.
    we didn't want to buy the fucking tea, so Britain is punishing us by denying Doctor Who

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The trailer for Planet of the Dead (it's on YouTube, too -- I have a link on my LiveJournal) reminds me vaguely of The Langoliers.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    dude, epic! when the fuck does the Christmas special air Stateside?!
    i bet this is punishment.
    we didn't want to buy the fucking tea, so Britain is punishing us by denying Doctor Who
    Yes, us british are evil, vindictive bastards, mwahahaha! That's why we take fucking ages to show Doctor Who in the US! (AND why we always make such GREAT villians!)

The trailer for Planet of the Dead (it's on YouTube, too -- I have a link on my LiveJournal) reminds me vaguely of The Langoliers.
    Yeah, except replace the airplane with a double decker bus! Hahaha, that pretty much somes Doctor Who up: it may not have as high a budget as many american shows but it always makes up for it by showing off just how uniquely british it is!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

What, a new Doctor Who special has just aired in the UK, and there isn't ANY discussion on it on this board? Do i have to do everything my self?!? Well, whilst i'm downloading another 8th doctor ep, i suppose...

Seriously, loved today's special! Preffered it to the Next Doctor, if i'm honest.

Spoiler:
    Even if TND one did have the added bonus of clips used of ALL the classic doctors at one point.

PotD was good lighthearted fun, and it was great for the Doctor to be on, you know, an alien world for once.

Spoiler:
    Not sure how i felt about Lady Christina. She was annoyingly posh as hell, but i must admit, she was a pretty perfect foil to the Doctor. A little TOO perfect if you ask me, especially with that kiss! God, why does the Doctor these days have to kiss EVERY woman he meets?! Favourite moment though HAD to be when the Doctor turned Christina down. I mean, i know he said he wouldn't travel with anyone else anymore, but it was REALLY shocking just how cold he was when Christina asked to come along. "I saved your life!" "So what?" It's moments like that that i fell in love with the show in the first place!

I feel sorry for you, Razz, having to wait so long for the specials. Just remember, though, it's hard for people in the UK, too, having to wait AGES for the next special. The 8th Doctor eps are GREAT to listen to, especially since the 8th IS my favourite, but even i've gotta admit, nothing beats watching the real thing. Still, it helps!

- Melike

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

...a new Doctor Who special has just aired in the UK...
    I hate you.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I hate you.
    I get that a lot.

- Melike

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate you.
    Ditto.
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

well I just finished watching it on youtube ^_^

My Mood
    Yeehaw

well I just finished watching it on youtube ^_^
    So come on, tell us razz: what'd you think of Planet of the Dead?

Btw, gotta say that I LOVE that title! So...old school. Random fact: first episode of the first Dalek story was called "The Dead Planet." Can't believe i've only JUST remembered that! Not exactly their first appearance, though. You only saw their plunger at the end!

- Melike

yeah i think that's why everybody thought it would take place on Skarro.
    It was great, and i like how everybody stfu, didn't complain or whine, and actually worked to save their asses. but i remember that one guy who drove the bus, i swear he was on another episode.
    There wasn't as much action though, and you could see a few things coming.
    Spoiler:
    for example, you run through the wormhole, you die. and that the fly aliens would get killed, instead of return to earth with them.
    Seriously, why didn't the Doctor say he could give them a lift home, instead of saying "we'll find a place for you on earth"?

Overall it was a good episode though. great plot.
    Spoiler:
    I hope that Christina doesn't show up and become the next companion though. she was okay, better than Donna at least, but she was a bit too much.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Gotta say that i was SO glad it wasn't on Skaro. After having a continuity heavy 3 part finale and the cybermen's return in the xmas special, it has got to be said, it was SO refreshing to have two brand new alien races, with only the slightest nods to continuity.

Spoiler:
    Or, considering we first saw Magambo in a parallel universe that never really happened in Turn Left, should that be non-continuity? Anti-continuity, even? I'm confused!

Considering that this IS a special just for Easter, i'm sure the writers might've been the slightest bit tempted to have the Daleks return again. But there wasn't a single plunger in sight. Phew!

Not that i mind continuity fests, of course, when done well and in moderation. I'm ESPECIALLY hoping that the 10th Doctor's final episodes will be something even more epic than Journey's End.

Spoiler:
    Especially considering what that psychic woman said. "He will knock four times." Fucking hell...i'm tempted to have that as my signature!

Something tells me that the Doctor is long overdue for a rematch with an old friend...

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Since I don't watch TV I usually don't see any eps until the season ends at the soonest.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Since I don't watch TV I usually don't see any eps until the season ends at the soonest.
    I'm like that with shows such as Heroes or Battlestar Galactica. I know that i won't bother watching them week after week, because i know for a fact that if i miss one episode, i won't have a clue wtf is going on! So better just to watch that show altogether at once.

Which is odd, considering that one of the few exceptions i make of watching new television week after week is Doctor Who, a family show that is mostly accessible to most audiences with almost every episode, especially these days with fewer cliffhangers. So basically, i only watch one show every week, because i know i don't HAVE to watch it every week to know what's going on!

How are you planning to tackle the specials then Brice, considering the huge gap between them? Are you actually planning to wait until the final 10th Doctor episode has broadcasted before watching them? From what i've heard, the next one won't be until November! How on earth will i cope?!?

- Melike

Spoiler:
    Especially considering what that psychic woman said. "He will knock four times." Fucking hell...i'm tempted to have that as my signature!

Something tells me that the Doctor is long overdue for a rematch with an old friend...

Reminds me of the Sound of Drums

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm like that with shows such as Heroes or Battlestar Galactica. I know that i won't bother watching them week after week, because i know for a fact that if i miss one episode, i won't have a clue wtf is going on! So better just to watch that show altogether at once.

Which is odd, considering that one of the few exceptions i make of watching new television week after week is Doctor Who, a family show that is mostly accessible to most audiences with almost every episode, especially these days with fewer cliffhangers. So basically, i only watch one show every week, because i know i don't HAVE to watch it every week to know what's going on!

How are you planning to tackle the specials then Brice, considering the huge gap between them? Are you actually planning to wait until the final 10th Doctor episode has broadcasted before watching them? From what i've heard, the next one won't be until November! How on earth will i cope?!?
    I don't think I've seen any of the specials at all.

If you rescue me

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

well, thats was a fab episode (went out last night so have just watched it)

i agree with the points above about it pointing to a rematch with an old friend, (the mention on the sound of drums - i have now got that song going around in my head lol)

not sure if i loved it so much because i know there are only 4 specials and i have withdrawal symtoms or if it was because it was really good ? hmmmm

agree that i did not like christina, but donna grew on me from the last series. so i am hoping he is not just goin to have a different companion in each of the specials? any goss on this or thoughts?

Spoiler:
    apparantley some of the old companions come back for the ending of this docs time or song

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    agree that i did not like christina, but donna grew on me from the last series. so i am hoping he is not just goin to have a different companion in each of the specials? any goss on this or thoughts?
    Apparently, that's the plan for the tenth doctor's final days: only one off companions. Seeing his face when he turned down Christina, he was REALLY resolute in what he said: he really isn't going to travel with anyone for a long time. So whatever's going to change his mind by the time series 5 comes along (you know he will, having the Doctor without a companion permanantly is just unthinkable!), it's got to be something big.

Spoiler:
    Which would certainly explain why all of 10's old companions would return in his last adventure!

Myself, I quite like the idea of one-off companions, for the specials, anyway. After all, they are specials. You've got to take the potential audience into account. With only one special episode happening every few months, it just doesn't make sense to bring in a regular companion, especially as the series is meant to have a clean slate by the final RTD episode so Steven Moffat can completely take over. Having a regular companion to develop over 13 episodes, sure, that is how Donna went from being totally annoying in my eyes () to one of my favourite companions ever after all (), but having any new actual companions now would a) mean much less development time and b) alienate the casual viewers (including, quite possibly, chavs) who had forgotten who the fuck the new girl/guy was from months ago.

Biggest reason why Doctor Who is my favourite show: accessibility (even with all the serials of the classic series you only had to wait a couple of weeks for the beginning of a brand new story) and sheer fun. Gotta say Planet of the Dead was both of these. Not great, but definitely good!

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i watched dr who confidential this morning. it was talking about
    Spoiler:
    planet of the dead bein the last time we see the dr being happy this year as the next special starts on the downhill spiral of his demise

i agree with you about bringin in a new companion for only the 4 specials would be wasteful, i was hopeful that one of the old ones would be in them tho, as i think the doc needs that familiarity of a known companion for the banter. i think thats one of the reasons i did not like christina as she was an unknown who was trying to hard to be a companion. thats just me tho,

bring on the autumn i say, i cant wait!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Now i'm really looking forward to the rest of the specials! Is it wrong of me to...

Spoiler:
    ...be looking forward SO much to the Doctor heading into a downward spiral of total misery?

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast