Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i cried when Rose had too much of the tardis in her (series 1 of the new lot)
    and then again when i watchd it on confidential - they played snow patrol run in the background while she did the whole 'i see everything' speech. (sad but true fact, because of that clip i used Run for my first dance at my wedding)
    That is absolutely fucking brilliant, candy! Honestly that sounds like something i'd probably do! Ever since The Sound of Drums, I've definitely been saving Voodoo Child for a special occasion, that's for sure!

Whilst i didn't cry at the end of The Parting of the Ways, i felt SO emotional at no. 9's death. I mean his death was a hellava way to go, and has to be one of the most emotional regenerations ever!

Gotta admit that it just felt so weird when he changed. One minute i was feeling so sad at knowing that we'd probably never see 9 ever again, and then the next...

"New teeth. That's weird!"

I just instantly knew that this guy was gonna be BRILLIANT!

Spoiler:
    Does make me wonder how I'm gonna feel about 10's death, though. Since 2005 he's been the Doctor, and i got emotional over a guy who only spent 3 months as the Doctor, so i dread to think how wrecked i'm gonna feel at losing 10!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

oh i know what you mean, they really know how to wring the tears.
    Spoiler:
    and when they have said his last few months are going to be hard on him, you just know that the regeneration is going to be heart breakin

just to change the subject doc, what are your thoughts on the whole 12 regenerations and that your lot? How do you think the BB will get round this if the current turn over of dr whos continue?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, here's the thing: i'm hoping that the BBC really ignore that 13 lives rule, as they have been doing the past few years, or at least just leave it to a really basic explanation like "Time Lords became immortal in time war" and just leave it at that. OK, i'm a massive Dr Who geek, but i'm not really fussed about the Doctor only having 13 lives, because, at the end of the day, it was just a throwaway number that the late, great Robert Holmes made up. I very much doubt he would've come up with that number if he had realised that the show would still be on even today!

Look at this way: the concept of regeneration, like a LOT of Dr Who mythology, was simply made up as the show went along. In the beginning it wasn't even called regeneration, just "renewal". It was just a way for the show to have an extended lifespan beyond the William Hartnell years. Then the Time Lords changed the Doctor's face in the War Games, and STILL it wasn't called regeneration. In fact, that term was only used in Planet of the Spiders, in the show's ELEVENTH season! So i'm sure they'll find some throwaway explanation to continue the show after Doc no 13, because at the end of the day, if they can bring the Dalek's back from the HUGE number of "final ends" that they've had, then they can bring the Doctor back from the dead, too!

Random fact: in the Five Doctors, the Time Lords offer the Master a "complete new life cycle" of regenerations in return for rescuing the Doctor. Like i said, they really have been making up continuity on the spot over the years!

- Melike

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

well it might be hard to do, because i know that the reason for the restriction was because too many would fuck up the cells or something like that.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    well it might be hard to do, because i know that the reason for the restriction was because too many would fuck up the cells or something like that.
    Maybe once, but we are talking about a bunch of guys who were supposedly one of the most powerful races in the universe. I'm sure that, once they were required to think of a new way of survival when the Dalek's threatened it, they would've found a way to overcome that problem with the cells.

Like tv: only sixty years ago, we were stuck with just black and white, and now we've got HD. Personally, i believe the Time Lords wouldn't have wanted to seek immortality before because (a) they wouldn't have needed to and (b) with the boring lives they lead they would never have wanted to.

- Melike

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Must not click spoiler tags. Have not watched Easter special.

How'd you discover Doctor Who?
    My 6th grade boyfriend.

What appealed to you about it?
    At first it was unappealing because of the effects. I had to get past that to truly appreciate it.

Who's your favourite Doctor?
    I love Tom Baker, my childhood Doctor, and the one who helped me see past the cheese, but I think David Tennant stole my Who heart.

Any MAJOR character you're hoping to return soon?
    Tough call, but I think I'll second candy's picks on that.

favourite episode?
    No real favorite - it's a mood thing.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i'm a huge christopher eccelston fan and found out about a new series he was doing so i watched it. i had never heard of doctor who before then. i was hooked from the first episode.

the tempo, eccelston's playing of the character; the way he could be happy and funny but you could sense all this dark sadness and rage inside of him. all the loss.

oh please. really? christopher eccelston. i stopped watching the show when he regenerated into david tennant. i had no idea that was coming. and i was devastated. completely devastated. then razzle had me watch blink and i started to like tennant. then silence in the library. now i like tennant, but not as much as eccelston.

easy. rose.

favourite episode?
    again, easy. blink. hands fucking down. i remember watching it on youtube and im'ing razzle asking him wtf was going on and giving him status updates (you know, the equivalent of talking to the person in the room with you). he was very patient with me. i still don't look at statues the same way - but then i never did trust those fucking things.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

TLoS: You had never heard about Doctor Who before Christopher Eccleston did it? Seriously? You never even heard about "the one with the scarf"?

Sorry, i keep forgetting that Doctor Who only has something of a cult status in the US, and not the legendary and iconic status it has in the UK. I'm not even joking about that: whether people watch the show or not, you'd be hard pressed to find a brit that doesn't know what a dalek is.

TLoS, one more question: are you ever planning to watch any episodes BEFORE Eccleston? Because he was good, no scratch that, brilliant, but there have been better Doctors, imho. One a lot of people agree on being the best doctor has to be Tom Baker. Not my favourite, but he is fucking legendary!

- Melike

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I refrain from commenting on Eccelston's performance until I can get past it and actually watch the episodes with him.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    I refrain from commenting on Eccelston's performance until I can get past it and actually watch the episodes with him.
    oh you must - he is a completley different dr than you expect and he brings his full acting to the part. i actually fell in love with him a little when he was the dr...... sigh

anyhoo. thanks doc for your comments, always good to have a chat about our favourite time lord. completley with you on the fact that they should, just hope they do give an answer as opposed to ignorin it completley.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'll expect that they'll give some form of explanation, even if it is an ultra basic one, which is probably the way to go. Remember how they explained htf the Master came back from certain death in the new series after being sucked into the Eye of Harmony in the TV movie?

Master: Time Lords ressurrected me.
    'Nuff said, really. I'm a long term fan, and i love all those little nods to the past, just as long as they're done in a way that doesn't alienate new viewers and make it difficult for them to understand the story because they haven't watched EVERYTHING that has gone on before, cause without new viewers becoming interested in the show, it becomes as simple as this: we'd be fucked. Or simpler, the BBC won't want to continue a series that only die hard fans watch.

And, let's face it, it's always the continuity light episodes that us fans LOVE to watch. Let me put it this way: what do you prefer, Blink, or The Stolen Earth?

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

do you know thats a really tough question, loved the stolen earth and journeys end because the geek in me loved that
    Spoiler:
    all the companions came back together and the ride in the tardis with them all on the way back

but i also loved blink, even though
    Spoiler:
    the dr is only in it for a few moments here and there

which is yours?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, i will admit, the geek in me LOVES the stolen earth as well,
    Spoiler:
    just to see all those characters from all those different series team up whilst seeing dalek ships flying through new york,
    but story wise blink is much better,
    Spoiler:
    even if it is a "doctor-lite" episode.

Hmmm...i'll admit that the stolen earth and journey's end are episodes that i'm more likely to watch over and over again. Continuity fests can be pretty good, if they're done right and don't happen every single episode.

But Blink is ALWAYS going to be more quotable! "Wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff." CLASSIC!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

OK, here's an update for UK fans, there's a dvd release on monday that should be considered essential, whether you're an old fan of the show who has been watching it since the 60s or a relative newbie who's only watched the new series: Tom Baker story The Deadly Assassin.

About fucking time this was released! Amazed they didn't release this sooner, tbh. Here's a few things that make it so important to who fans and also why it's so good:

- It gives us a REALLY good glimpse at Time Lord society.
    - It's the first story to reveal that Time Lords have only 13 lives.
    - It's a BRILLIANT Doctor vs Master story.
    - It's very dark and very violent: stabbings, torture, drownings, and plenty more moments that make you think, "How the fuck did they get away with that in a family show?!?" (Answer: they didn't, and they had to tone down the violence not long afterwards.)
    - It's the only story in the classic series where the Doctor is on his own and doesn't have a companion.
    - It's one of the few stories in the old series where the Time Lords weren't being incredibly boring.
    - One of the episodes in the 4 part story is INCREDIBLY surreal and fucked up.

This, along with The War Games (also due to be released on dvd this year, yay!) and The Ark in Space, has to rank among one of my favourite Doctor Who stories of the classic series. And released only six days before my birthday, too! I know i should wait for it...but....
    (a) I can't really rely on anyone getting me this awesome, awesome story, and
    (b) Six days? Six fucking days?!? No chance!

- Melike

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Bored out of my fuckin' mind, i turned on Scifi channel. "what is this shit? bald guy in teleporting phone booth?" retarded. changed channel. fuck, NOTHING is on today. changed back to scifi. stupid. but that...was actually clever. finish watching. next episode (it's a marathon?). This show ain't half bad. next episode. "Hi, I'm Razz" "Hiiiiiii Raaaaaazzzzz" "and I'm addicted. to Doctor Who."

it was on scifi channel and didn't suck.

Tennant cuz he's what got me hooked. Baker close behind, even though I've seen very few of his episodes.

Hoping the Doctor's "clone" will return in the future.

favourite episode?
    Blink

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    oh you must - he is a completley different dr than you expect and he brings his full acting to the part. i actually fell in love with him a little when he was the dr...... sigh

anyhoo. thanks doc for your comments, always good to have a chat about our favourite time lord. completley with you on the fact that they should, just hope they do give an answer as opposed to ignorin it completley.
    It's odd because I have always liked Eccelston in everything else I've seen him in, such as Shallow Grave and 'Heroes', but he just seemed so... goofy, as the doctor. I'll give him another shot, though.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

you must let me know what you think. tbh - after dr who i was excited to see him in heroes but he was a bit crap in that
    much better in dr who

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Got the Deadly Assassin on dvd today! AND on release day, too! Woohoo!

After watching it, i've gotta say the restoration team have done a superb job as always! Picture looks AMAZINGLY clear even after over 30 years! DVD extras are brill, as well. Only watched the documentaries so far, but i'm sure hearing Tom Baker's commentary will be as entertaining as ever.

Story wise, it's as brilliant as ever, for the reasons that i posted earlier. Any bad points? Only this: at times, it can look cheap, especially with the fact that most of it is shot on video as opposed to film when on set, but this is really only to newcomers, who i BEG to look past that and just watch the story. Oh, and it has, obviously, one of the dumbest titles in the whole of Who! But apart from that, it's fucking A!

- Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Spoilers for the rest of 2009/2010:

Spoiler:
    Bernard Cribbins -- Donna Noble's grandfather -- will be David Tennant's companion for the last two episodes come Christmas-into-2010. Also returning is Sarah Jane Smith, Donna Noble, Donna Noble's mother, and supposedly John Barrowman and John Simms were seen on set.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Again, another difference between the UK and the US!

Doctor Who Spoilers
    US: Very difficult to find unless you know the right people.
    UK: Publicly announced by RTD way before episodes are actually broadcast. Great.

- Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Spoilers for the rest of 2009/2010:

Spoiler:
    Bernard Cribbins -- Donna Noble's grandfather -- will be David Tennant's companion for the last two episodes come Christmas-into-2010. Also returning is Sarah Jane Smith, Donna Noble, Donna Noble's mother, and supposedly John Barrowman and John Simms were seen on set.
    get out!!!!
    how cool are you

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I've said for a while now that this individual would make the perfect companion. No one else would enjoy a trip in the TARDIS more than this individual would.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

your right bev,
    Spoiler:
    and i can just see him and the dr bouncing off each other

i was also just excited about
    Spoiler:
    john barrowman and john sims - not sure which of those i am more excited about,

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Surprised no one's mentioned this yet!

BBC have just announced: Karen Gillan is the new companion!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/ne...090529_news_01

Right now, i don't have much to say, except:

Yep, that's all i've got!

- Melike

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

is right. Hooray for another redhead!
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast