Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 120 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2985

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I see...fair enough, then.

Speaking of re-watching all these eps, though, I will say it's nice. I'm rediscovering them as I've changed my life and certain situations. And I'm finding I'm liking them a lot more this time through, and for different reasons. It's cool.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I know what you mean. It's why I'm finally attempting to watch the whole classic series in order - to gain a new perspective on things, both on the stories I loved before and the stories I didn't like. Take Sarah Jane Smith, for example: sometimes, I wondered before exactly what made her so loved compared to other companions. Oh, she's always been one of my favourite companions, but it's difficult to say why she's so great. Watching in order, it suddenly becomes clear: she screams far less than most of the others, her chemistry and relationship with the Doctor is perfect and, with the Pyramids of Mars, there's a perfect moment that summarises how awesome she is: casually carrying a rifle and firing at an explosive without hesitation, all while wearing a Victorian dress. Badass.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For me, I started out watching them for other people. And I liked them because of certain associations. Then, for a while, I almost felt like I was falling out of the fandom. Now that I've hada bit of a turn-around, I'm watching them for myself and loving them even more. I can appreciate them for what they are, now, over what they used to represent.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's just been announced that for its 50th anniversary, there will be a special episode of Doctor Who broadcast in 3D. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21413511

My reaction is...how can I put this? How about

Spoiler:
    WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, BBC?!? HOW IS BROADCASTING SUCH AN IMPORTANT EP IN 3-FUCKING-D GOING TO HELP?!?

This is an ep that needs - needs - to be viewed by everyone, or rather, give the widest possible audience the chance to watch it. That's not going to happen if it's in 3-fucking-D, and it won't make the BBC much money, so seriously, what's the point?

For anyone who wants to know why my reaction is as strong as it is, the quote in the news article says it all:

Doctor Who celebrates its 50th birthday in November, but it is not the first time viewers have had the chance to see the Time Lord in 3D.

Doctor Who's 30th anniversary was marked in 1993 with a 3D story, Dimensions in Time, broadcast as part of Children In Need.
    EXACTLY! Dimensions in Time, generally regarded as a story so bad, that it featured 7 Doctors (including recreations of the first 2 incarnations) and still is completely hated by fandom and generally thought of as non-existant, canon-wise.

Now who knows, maybe this'll work out better, maybe the BBC have got something special - really special - planned. But I honestly do not see the point of this at all.

Oh well. At least I've got the Big Finish anniversary release to look forward to. (And it's written by Nicholas Briggs, one of my favourite writers this time, so hopefully, it'll be much better than the disappointment that was Zagreus, at least.)

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a bit annoying, but without further news I can't really comment fully. is it going to be a one-off special? And is it going to be only in 3-D? I dunno....seems like a weird move when 3-D is still an emerging technology, not many people have 3-D televisions, and it's a big year for the show. I'll wait for more news on this one.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Another key question is is it going to be the 50th anniversary special, or merely one of the specials they've got planned? Personally, I'm hoping it'll be something for one of the charity telethons like Comic Relief or Children in Need - ideally short and not too important to the overall canon, like Time Crash or the Time and Space mini-eps. Like you said, best wait and see.

EDIT: Ok, after reading a little more about it, now I don't mind it so much. Judging from this link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...-50th-birthday) it sounds like yes, it is the main special, but also from the looks of things, while it will be in 3D, only on the HD channels for those who actually have 3D tellies - it'll be broadcast in 2D as normal on BBC One. So that's not so bad: 3D is an option and not (as was the case of Dredd at the cinema) compulsory. That was the mistake I was worried about. Ok, well as long as it doesn't affect the quality of the story, I'm all for it. And yes, honestly, if I could find such a screening, I would totally see it at the cinema. But still, I'm waiting for news that's genuinely exciting.

Oh, that reminds me: it's been officially confirmed that yes, after nearly 40 years, the Ice Warriors return this series!

- Melike

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Watching The Doctor's Wife....does anyone else secretly wish that Surrane Jones (the TARDIS) could manage to play the Doctor at some point? I mean...she can't now. Not after this role. But if I had to pick a female Doctor, she'd be a pretty high choice.
    I rewatched that on BBC 3 last week, it was even better watching it in order as I didn't really have a clue about all the Rory/Amy stuff last time - I just wanted to see it because it was a Gaiman thing She is bloody brilliant isn't she, I agree, she could nail a female Doctor.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I want these for my birthday....yummy and funny

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

how many would want this shirt?

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Me! Transformer Tardis.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I showed this picture to my son and he told me his friend had one...the robot is called Tardis Prime....lol

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

today I start an new project for my son. He wants me to make him a Tom Baker scarf. Any suggestions on where to start and if anyone else has made one how long did it take. I am making it on a Nifty Knitter loom.
    Spoiler:

hopefully it will go faster than the other scarf I made for him recently, it was a Slytherin scarf...took me about 6 months to make it(procrastination at its best...lol). it is on the smallest loom in the picture shown.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well that's a massive undertaking, considering just how long his scarf was. I'm not sure if this'll help, but here's a website with a lot of details on each of Baker's scarves. http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

that was one of the first sites I went to looking for some patterns for it. I just hope I have enough yarn...lol...(got like 4 large baskets full of the stuff from my mother-in-law when we cleaned out her house.) when I finish it I will post a picture.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

They finally revealed a look at the updated Ice Warrior design: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...image-unveiled

Maybe it's the old-school fanboy in me, but I am loving that design! I'm a huge fan of practically everything Ice Warriors - loving all their appearances from tv, audio, and novels - although they haven't appeared on tv in nearly 40 years (The Monster of Peladon, story 4 of season 11, btw. See, I know my shit. ). When I heard that one of my favourite writers Dan Abnett was writing a novel for them back in 2011, I got pretty excited then (The Silent Stars Go By, a bit of a light read, but overall a pretty good Doctor Who novel that at times felt like watching one of the eps, a lot more than I can say for The Coming of the Terraphiles from the year before), so when they announced they were finally bringing them back, I've gotta admit, I was hugely excited, but more than a little bit worried - one thing I loved about the original lot were their original, distinctive alien design. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that, like the Daleks and the Cybermen, they needed to be updated for a modern age, but considering how the Moffat team unnecessarily "updated" the bronze Daleks to the fat-arsed tellytubby versions (I wouldn't have minded so much if they hadn't changed their basic shape!), along with outright changing the look of the Silurians entirely (although to be honest, I honestly don't mind that as such - I think the original Silurians were a great idea, but I wasn't so fussed about their design, the new ones had been given a neat little explanation as to why they were different, and their aquatic Sea Devil cousins were WAY cooler anyway), I was more than a little afraid that the Ice Warriors would be changed so much that there'd be no reason to get excited about their return in the first place.

However, as you can see from the both the new and the old pics, they've really stuck to the old design amazingly well while making tiny changes to make the costume more believeable and threatening - less of a rotund stomach and a little less fur. Not quite as green as I'd like, and I miss the lego claws, but pretty neat, overall. I jussssssst hope that their hisssssssing voicccccccccccesssssss remain the ssssssssssame.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

don't know if I can agree 100% on the voice, but I do like their looks. I'm getting more and more excited for the next part of series 7. Only 25 days, now...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Doctor Who: New Images From The Bells Of St. John Unveiled

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ugh, it kills me that the night it's finally back is the same night I see Suede live. Worst. Timing. Ever. Oh well. Still nice to know that it'll be back soon.

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Ok this is just funny. Kind of makes my head hurt. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

My Mood
    Yeehaw

"I was sorta under the impression that everyone's dad was Doctor Who." Now there's an awesomely weird childhood to have! XD

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Moving this discussion from What Are You Watching Right Now? to here, as I feel I needed to provide these lengthy views in a relevant thread:

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    All I wil say about Rose is that I LOVED her and Nine. And I realize that she had a huge impact on how Nine became Ten, but with Ten, she just got to be too much....
    Spoiler:
    to the point where I didn't even cry after Doomsday
    The funny thing is that Rose was originally meant to be as far removed of the cliched image of the companions from the classic series as possible: the ones with little character development and were mostly there to say, "Ooh, Doctor?" or "What is it, Doctor?" or "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" (Not that they actually were like that, at least not all the time, but that's the image the classic series got stuck with, unfortunatly.) With Rose, they really succeeded in creating a companion for the modern age...for one series. In series 1, she not only saved the day as much as the Doctor and was an independent young woman, she also went through a lot of development, mostly by going through hell quite a lot (as evidenced by Dalek, Father's Day and The Parting of the Ways). Series 2? She was still independent, she still saved the day...but she didn't develop, she didn't noticeably change. Worse, by not having that crucial development and by having her "in love" with the Doctor leaving her nearly always in awe of him - as opposed to challenging him like series 1 - she actually started becoming the cliche the writers originally hoped to avoid.

Spoiler:
    I did think she got a great ending in Doomsday, though....
    Spoiler:
    ...before they fucked it up in Journey's End.

Sorry, just with Rose...like you said Pond, loved her with Nine, but she wasn't so great with Ten. This is why - with the possible exception of the first half of series 7 - I loved the Ponds. Amy and Rory constantly grew throughout their series, especially in series 6. They had a good run, I'd say.

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

2 weeks to go!

I was a little disappointed with the cameo in comic relief, but hey ho at least he made an appearance

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Was just about to post this, Melike. So excited for these eps, much more so than the first half of the current series - while it was nice to see the show give a definitive ending to the Amy and Rory story, I'm so glad the Doctor will have a full-time companion again. We haven't really get to seen him have that since the God Complex, despite Amy and Rory being in every ep afterwards. Also: Ice Warrior!

- Melike

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Was just about to post this, Melike. So excited for these eps, much more so than the first half of the current series - while it was nice to see the show give a definitive ending to the Amy and Rory story, I'm so glad the Doctor will have a full-time companion again. We haven't really get to seen him have that since the God Complex, despite Amy and Rory being in every ep afterwards. Also: Ice Warrior!
    I loved the new companion. So it is extra excited. I missed The Doctor a lot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 120 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 88 ... LastLast