Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 120 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2985

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

No...but don't worry, I'll aim to get it sorted out by the weekend. (Or next week: apparently, it's going to start snowing over here tomorrow! Eep!)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You can handle it! Once you've faced Iowa winters, you can face anything!

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I think I'll have to watch them once more before I can pick a favorite Smith episode. The ones that really stuck with me the first time around were Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, Vincent and the Doctor (unabashedly cried at the end of that one -- the rest of the episode wasn't wonderful, but that ending made the whole thing amazing), Day of the Moon, and The Girl Who Waited (though that one is because it was the first episode where I really respected Karen Gillam's acting ability).
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nice choices, especially with Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone. Also really enjoyed The Girl Who Waited. I enjoy both that and A Good Man Goes to War because they're eps that give Gillan and Smith respectively the opportunities to really show what they can do. The "Colonel Runaway" speech just might be one of my favourite badarse Doctor speeches in Who history. You can really believe the rage that's building in Smith's eyes during that speech. Not that I didn't respect him before, there's been loads of times when he's considerably impressed me, but AGMGTW is the finest performance he's given in the show yet, I think. Which, considering how usually brilliant he is, is saying something.

Oh, one more thing: the best ep that sums up how different he is to Tennant's Doctor is The Lodger. It may just be me, but I don't think that ep wouldn't have been quite as interesting if it had been done with Tennant's more relatable Doctor. That's what I love about Eleven: he's really gone back to his alien roots, I think.

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Girl Who Waiting is also one of my favorites. I cry a bit at the end of that one...mostly due to the fact of my obsession with Amy and Rory, I think, but still. All excellent choices for potential favorites

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

my favorite 11 episode is and for the foreseeable future shall remain: the lodger. i just love that episode so much.
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a big fan of Time Of Angels/Flesh And Stone, Vincent And The Doctor, and The Lodger. I'm with Rjeso with the ending of VatD. The episode itself was just so-so, but that ending...woof. Did a lot of rapid blinking the first time I watched it.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, now for a review - no, sorry, it's hard to be subjective enough to "review" it. "Rant" would be a better word. Ok, now for a rant of the worst Doctor Who story ever: The Twin Dilemma. Officially, it's the worst story ever, as voted in several fan polls, including DW magazine back in 2008, and unofficially by me. Where to begin? It looks shite. It totally looks like the cheapest Doctor Who story ever made, probably because the makers knew they had the shittiest Who story ever written and so didn't bother trying. And as for the villain Mestor...holy fucking shit, think of the biggest, most cliched looking Doctor Who villain you can think of, in both appearance and attitude, and that's Mestor. Don't believe me? Seriously, here's a pic:
    Spoiler:

Maker of the show: "This is a good idea...this is definitely a good idea...there's no way this isn't a good idea..."

The plot? Erm, well it concerns planets and orbits and retarded physics (even by Who standards, for fuck's sake), and something not worth paying attention to. Like the characters, who all seem to be annoying, or boring, or both.

And this is the biggest crime of the story: it extends to the main characters.

You gotta feel sorry for Colin Baker. Given the right scripts, his Doctor, in my opinion, could've been one of the greatest and most fondly remembered. His audio work has shown me that. Instead, in this story, he's portrayed as a total dick. One who's cowardly, arrogant (and not in the charming way, like he will be, but in the Anakin Skywalker way), and psychotic and unstable enough to try to kill his companion. Worst of all? It's his first story in the role. As far as first impressions go, it's far from the best one. Although I will admit, occasionally, especially really early in the story, we do see a flash of the brilliance that his Doctor could be. It's just too bad it's swamped by a shit story with shit characters and an initially shit Doctor.

For an extra kick in the balls: this story directly follows The Caves of Androzani, considered by a lot of fans to be one of, if not the greatest story in Who history. Even in a poll that encompassed both classic and new stories, Androzani was still voted number 1. The worst story ever following the greatest story ever. There would been a lot of people missing Peter Davison at that point.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, anyone who considers themselves a fan of Doctor Who, and has some cash to spend, listen up:

http://bigfinish.com/news/Podcast-Ei...-February-2012

Now, the Eighth Doctor Adventures by Big Finish are absolutely brilliant. I bloody love them, so it's fantastic that Big Finish are finally releasing them at a discounted rate. If your knowledge of Who only extends to the new series, don't worry: the series was specifically designed for new series fans, initially starting out as an interesting look at a classic Doctor with a modern companion, back in the days when the Time Lords were still around. The first 3 seasons are very good and a lot of fun, but the 4th is phenomenal. It easily shot up to be one of my favourite seasons of Who ever. I don't mean out of everything I've listened to on audio, I mean ever, up there with Tom Baker's third season as well series 1 and series 6 of the new series. However, you do need to have listened to the first 3 audio seasons before it to fully appreciate it.

You can also download, legally and for free, the first episode Blood of the Daleks from Friday 17th to Sunday 19th February to get a good taste of the series. To every Doctor Who fan who can afford it, I urge you to purchase series 1 on Monday 20th February. £35 for 8 cds, and worth every penny.

- Melike

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

THE DALEK PAINTING BOOK (1965)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I do love retro 60s stuff. Especially when characters or aliens barely look or act anything like they do in the show. (Just barely, though.) Like the Doctor having grandkids (neither of which is Susan) in the early comics.

Btw, the first episode of the Eighth Doctor Adventures is, for a couple of days, available to download for free. Blood of the Daleks isn't a classic, but it's a nice start to the character of Lucie Miller, at least.

http://bigfinish.com/news/Free-Docto...io-to-download!

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks, I'm going to go download that ep Where is this in comparison to what I've been listening to?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Long after the Doctor and Charley finished travelling together really. Don't worry, though: no references are made to what happened between the two, as the 8th Doctor and Lucie series actually started before Charley's final story was released by Big Finish.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

http://sale.bigfinish.com/

For today only, season 1 of the Eighth Doctor Adventures is on sale. You can either buy each cd for a fiver, or the complete season for £35. If money's tight, here are my personal highlights from this season:

Blood of the Daleks - Part 1 (Season opener)
    Blood of the Daleks - Part 2
    Horror of Glam Rock (Introduction of "Auntie Pat")
    Human Resources - Part 1
    Human Resources - Part 2 (Season finale)

It's not my favourite season, if I'm honest, but it's far from terrible. The sale will end by tomorrow, and the sale for season 2 will start, so if you want to snag yourself the season in which the Eighth Doctor first met Lucie Miller, now's the time.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Second day, second season. Same link as before, same price as season 1: 8 cds for £35.

Notable stories include:
    Grand Theft Cosmos (featuring the return of a couple of characters from the previous series)
    The Zygon Who Fell To Earth (the return of Auntie Pat)
    Sisters of the Flame (Part 1 of the finale)
    The Vengeance of Morbius (Part 2 of the finale)

As you can see, it's the 2nd half of the season I'm recommending, really. The first half's good, but all the stories are completely stand alone. Although I will say I thought Brave New Town was especially good. I really do enjoy this season overall anyway, as the Eighth Doctor and Lucie's relationship has become a lot more stable and has given us a really great dynamic.

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watching Series 3 ep 12 Utopia in my rewatch and the moment Captain Jack Harkness came on screen I smiled. Jack is my favorite Dr. Who there can be no debate on that.

On a separate note Martha is my favorite companion. Of course I did like Sarah Jane Smith
    If you love me then love me..

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My favourite moment of Utopia wasn't Jack returning, but
    Spoiler:
    the whole last ten minutes with the return of the Master.
    Wonderfully done, and one of my all-time favourite cliffhangers. Truthfully, the only one to have matched it so far for sheer awesomeness just might be the cliffhanger to the Almost People. That was a classic moment of "HOLY SHIT!!!!"ness.

Series 3 of 8 and Lucie on sale today. Notable stories include:

Orbis (series opener)
    The Eight Truths (part 1 of the finale)
    Worldwide Web (part 2 of the finale)

Not so many arc heavy eps this series, although there is a stronger theme of development between Eight and Lucie's relationship due to the events of the series 2 finale and Orbis.

On a related note, I listened to series 4 finale To The Death last night. Still one of the darkest, horrific, depressing and all-round best finales I've listened to. Like Journey's End with all the worst stuff taken out and replaced with the best of Torchwood: Children of Earth.

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You know what I would really love to see? Some of the Ninth and Tenth Doctor's Companions meeting the Eleventh Doctor. Jack or Mickey or Martha. that would be an episode I would love to watch. I know it may not happened but I can dream can't I.

And you have to admit Jack meeting the Eleventh Doctor would be bloody amazing

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally want to see Amy and Jack meet! Oh can you even imagine the flirting? And poor Rory, trying to deflect both of them....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I wouldn't think it so unlikely, at least not as unlikely as bringing the 8th Doctor back (which they really should fucking do soon!). Now that Steven Moffat has firmly established his own era and moved out of RTD's shadow, I think it's possible for him to bring old companions back. Just like RTD brought Sarah Jane and K9 back, after all. And yes, even Moffat's agreed that bringing Jack would be awesome!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

I would love seeing Jack flirting with both Amy and Rory. Oh and can you imagine the shock on his face when he meets River? That alone would be worth it

And off topic but best Dr Who. line ever!

Rose: "Three Doctors?"
    Jack: "I can't tell you what I'm thinking right now"

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Jack meeting Amy, Rory and River. Now that would be awesome.

Jack: Captain Jack Harkness...and who are you?
    Rory: My wife.
    Jack: Oh, sorry! Let me re-introduce myself. Captain Jack Harkness...and-
    Amy: Only attracted to me, I'm afraid.
    Jack: Can't say I blame him. Ok, one more time: Captain Jack Harkness...and who are-
    Rory and Amy: Daughter.
    Jack: What?
    Doctor: And wife.
    Jack: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?

Anyway, the final day of the Eighth Doctor Sale is on, with the final season of 10 stories available for £40. The most important stories to get are:

All of them.

Seriously, this season has so many wonderful twists and turns, it's best to get all of them in one go. More than that: I'd go so far as to say that every single story is great. Particular favourites I'll say though are Deimos/Resurrection of Mars, because of how much it explores the Doctor's morality, as well as being both an excellent Ice Warriors story and a major turning point for the season, but even that doesn't match the wonderful, wonderful finale of Lucie Miller/To The Death. Dark, grim, and a story that pushes the Doctor like no other has in either the classic or the new series, this is wonderful stuff.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

HMMMM. That would be interesting. Quick question though cause it's been bugging me. Which Doctor fought in the Last Great Time War. The Eight or Ninth?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

No one really knows, but I'm guessing the Eighth. Just because in the episode Rose, the Ninth Doctor looked in the mirror and said, "Oh, could've been worse! Look at the ears!" They've still yet to do anything about the Time War, but To The Death certainly pushes the Eighth Doctor just that little - ok, a lot closer to becoming that dark, tortured soul we saw in Eccleston's Doctor. One thing I adore about this audio season is that it really does a lot to establish the Eighth Doctor as a kind of truly heroic figure, a man who would never be prepared to take a single innocent life for the sake of thousands, of millions, of billions even, and a man who would stay in a prison for 6 years, a prison he could easily escape from, for the sake of saving countless lives.

To The Death changes that man forever. It's one of my favourite finales. Hell, it's one of my favourite seasons. Basically, the whole of season 4 of the audio adventures is the equivelent of Revenge of the Sith - a hero's fall - done right.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

That would be amazing if they brought back Jack!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 120 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 ... LastLast