Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 120 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2985

Thread: Doctor Who: now without DT additives!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

So, tonight's episode.

Spoiler:
    Storywise it wasn't my favourite, although I loved the design of it all. Absolutely amazing visually, with all the numerous creatures and the alien places, marvellous stuff. Reminds me of stories like The Curse of Peladon and The End of the World, where your really wonder just how in god's name they were able to afford such a convincing alien environment. Not to mention that the story has to boast the achievement of having the biggest. Monster. EVER. So definitely props to that.

Storywise, it was a little too light, too children's tv-y for me. Still, there were some great themes and moments that I really liked, especially at how it not only revealed so much of Clara's backstory, but actually used to great effect during the final moments. Yes, the classic "establish the companion being awesome in her 2nd episode (technically)" was a little predictable, but it was also nicely done. I also liked how it explored the idea of how important memories are to us, but all the "what ifs?" can mean a whole lot more. I just wish the main story itself had been a little bit darker, a little more threat. Really, I just wanted more death. I love having death in my Who. Give us more death, Moffat! Is that too much to ask?

A couple of small complaints: I didn't like how the Doctor practically made Clara give up her mother's ring. I'm not saying he should've given the screwdriver, but I think it would've been better if he had given up his glasses instead, considering who they originally belonged to. Also not a fan of the series continuing the trend of the companions only occasionally travelling with the Doctor - I thought the whole point of the first half of series 7 was to show why he really needs it be more of a full-time thing. Still, we got some further development on the relationship between the two, but I hope Clara makes the decision to travel with the Doctor full-time soon.

Although I will say: love the ongoing mystery of Clara, really can't wait to find out who or what she is. I especially loved the little fact of the TARDIS "not liking" her, even keeping it's doors shut from her. I always love it when we're reminded that the TARDIS is a living ship, and while it's rare, it sometimes doesn't like who the Doctor travels with, sometimes for a very, VERY good reason.

So in short, not a bad episode that developed the companion a little bit more, but I really wish it had been given just a little more meat to it. 3/5
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

too tired to give a full review, but I liked it....yes, it was a bit cheesy. And yes, it was a bit too much like some other eps we've seen. But it did also have one of the best Smith monologues we've seen yet (in my opinion) and it was fun to watch. I'm happy with it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    too tired to give a full review, but I liked it....yes, it was a bit cheesy. And yes, it was a bit too much like some other eps we've seen. But it did also have one of the best Smith monologues we've seen yet (in my opinion) and it was fun to watch. I'm happy with it.
    YES!!!! Anyone who thought that Smith didn't have range (ie Tennant fangirls) were so proved so wrong by that beautiful, wonderful monologue. That's gonna stick out as a favourite moment of mine for 11.

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It was the first time DW has made me cry since Manhattan, so that's saying something. Especially because I watched Les Mis again last night and bawled my eyes out. Didn't think I had many tears left

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved loved loved it.

I loved the speech Matt gave, and the single tear rolling down his cheek.

I love Clara, it's possibly the fastest I have ever taken to a companion. I can honestly say I never really took to amy, (lived rory) and I am hugely enjoying seeing the 11th with a different companions

I love the fact she is taking her time to travel full time with him. Others have just gone and then had the regret, this shows Clara has maturity and decency to think of others and also that she is not instantly in love with the doctor as all the other (New) ones have been. The relationship is very reminiscent of the classic companions, and the paternal theme still seems to be running through (so pleased)

I loved the mention
    Spoiler:
    of I was here with my grand daughter, a massive lead to the 50th in my opinion

To sum up, I loved it.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

There wasn't enough running....that is all.....lol.
    Spoiler:
    I also liked his response telling her about his grand daughter....although I would like to know where he went when he disappeared for that short time.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

If you haven't seen the episode don't click. no seriously do not click,
    Spoiler:

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Amazing episode. 5/5 from both Amber and I. One of the best monologues I've ever seen, and so much emotion from both the Doctor and Clara. Great! Such an amazing show. I can't remember who or what got me into this show, (DoctorDodge, maybe?) but thank you so much.

The next episode looks to be one of those "filler" episodes, but still excited. Always excited.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Considering Moffat, I wouldn't be sure of what's "filler" and what's not, especially with all the build-up to the anniversary.
    Spoiler:
    It's why I loved the ending of "The Bells of Saint John": absolute genius of Moffat to reveal that The Snowmen was more than just a a clever prequel to a couple of 60s stories, it was re-introducing the enemy in those stories as the new "Big Bad" (hopefully, anyway). Fantastic stuff.

Either way, next week's ep is one I've been looking forward to most, if I'm honest: been far too long since the Ice Warriors made an appearance on tv, almost 40 years in fact. One of my favourite monsters ever! Really hoping they've been done right, anyway. (I really do love how Moffat's been skilfully bringing back and re-introducing such old enemies, actually: first the Great Intelligence, and now the green Martians. I've loved that with his last couple of series, he's been more focused on creating his own mythology, but it's nice to see more returning enemies from decades past for the anniversary year.)

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've ranted about filler eps before, but...I don't know if the term "filler" can ever really be applied to an ep until you know the plot arc.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

yes...but how does it make you feel, emotionally? I bawled like a baby at the end.

But, then again, that might be a direct result of Rory being my favorite person ever and not wanting to see him go.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, that's unfortunate. I really, really enjoyed that ep. If it's any consolation, what's aired so far with the new companions has been fucking fantastic. Hopefully you'll find those ones more to your taste.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

With Rory and Amy, it just seemed like they brought them back, past where they should have stopped their storylines. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first half of the season, but it wasn't until the Christmas episode that this season really got started for me.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

P.S. I love Rose Tyler.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    With Rory and Amy, it just seemed like they brought them back, past where they should have stopped their storylines. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first half of the season, but it wasn't until the Christmas episode that this season really got started for me.
    Completely agreed. I loved the pair, but the first half of this season seemed to act as both an epilogue to series 6 and a prologue to the real start of it. Even the Bells of St John felt so much like a true season opener: light-hearted ep that introduces the companion filled with plenty of humour and adventure in a modern day setting. It's not that I don't mind "filler", or rather completely stand-alone stories - hell, much of the classic stuff was just that - but I do enjoy some development, even when it's just the characters. That's why I really loved series 6, after all - yes, I loved all the complex season-long timey-wimey shenanigans, but it was the development in the 2nd half of both the Doctor and his companions that I enjoyed most, as they all started to become dissillusioned with him and the good he does (I suspect it's why I didn't enjoy Night Terrors so much - not because it wasn't as scary as I hoped, but because it just did not fit in with the rest of the theme that was the gradual fall of the Doctor, ever since A Good Man Goes to War. In fact, it was meant to be shown before that ep, but for some unknown reason they decided to move it around at the last minute). There's no development with Amy and Rory until the Power of Three (hence why I didn't mind the episode, despite the "huh?" storyline. That and Kate Stewart, of course! ). Ok, there was Asylum, but the less said about that rather unconvincing and pretty out of the blue divorce storyline, the better.

Why I'm really glad about this second part: I do enjoy finding out the "mystery" of Clara, but it's also nice to once again start the story from scratch all over again and give us a fresh perspective with a new companion. It's what I enjoyed most about Rings: finding out so much of Clara's past and how it affected her with the promise of more later. The new relationship's also great
    Spoiler:
    - the Doctor practically stalking her history in an attempt to find out what's so special about her is such a wonderfully alien thing for the Doctor to do.
    It reminds me of the 7th Doctor at times and his relationship with Ace. I'm definitely eager to see where their relationship is heading if he keeps being as secretive to her as he is.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    It was as emotionally engaging as a dramatic reading of a dictionary.

Rory has so far been my favorite character in a long while, but he's died so many fucking times that the final time had zero impact.
    And Amy, I stopped giving a shit about her near the end of last season. They did the same annoying thing with Donna, where they make her the most important person in the universe. Hopefully they won't keep bringing her back in cameos like they kept doing with Rose, who they figuratively made the center of the universe. Seriously. I'm so fucking tired of Rose Tyler that I may not watch the 50th special just because I heard she will be in it.

So in summary, my emotional response was along the lines of "It's about fucking time".
    I completely agree. I liked Amy and Rory in the beginning then they just seemed to wear them out for me. So much that I was super excited to see them finally go. They should have given them a proper ending at the end of season 6. It would have been so much more powerful. I hated the beginning of season 7, but since the christmas ep it's completely turned around for me. And after a long time I'm excited to finally watch the show again. I'm loving the new companion, and the fresh start is exactly what I think the show needed.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think you'll enjoy it. It was very refreshing after the first half of the season.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just discovered this piece of brilliance: Peter Davison's recorded message to fans at a convention in 2010. Funny as heck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ32_4J7G0I

- Melike

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

What do you think about last two episodes The Bells of Saint John and The Rings Of Akhenaten?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

DON'T YOU TALK ABOUT THE THE DELICIOUS DELICIOUS CLARA!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    What do you think about last two episodes The Bells of Saint John and The Rings Of Akhenaten?
    Loved Bells Melike, very light-hearted opener that served as a great introduction to Clara, loved the return of a certain villain at the end, too. To me, it was the long overdue introduction episode that we used to get at the beginning of series 1-5. They're not my favourites, but they're usually a great way to introduce a new Doctor or companion.

Rings I liked for its themes and how great it looked, I just wasn't as keen on the basic plot. I was also unsure about Clara not becoming a full companion right away, only occasionally travelling with the Doctor. It wasn't something that I was a big fan of with the Ponds, although candy raised a pretty good point that at least with Clara, she's still pretty new to this and is simply taking her time before travelling with the Doc full time. Oh, and I loved Matt's monologue in this story. Just beautiful.

How about you, Melike? What did you think?

- Melike

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I don't know exactly. Doctor and Clara is great together. Bells reminded me of Eleventh Hour and Rings reminded me of The Beast Below. It is kind of nice in some way, because these were my first two episodes of Doctor Who.

Still, like Razz, I think both felt very quick. Especially Bells. Somehow I couldn't get into them much. Also like Razz, I find it disturbing that the bigger story/mystery of this season is focused on how Clara died two times. Maybe they will bring a fresh point of view using that plot to the show. But it just seems floating.

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Oh man the name of the finale has been released. Talk about interesting.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My thoughts exactly. Love the poster as well. This could go either really brilliantly or really badly. Time will tell, Moffat. Time will tell.

- Melike

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

when successor meets his predecessor

Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 120 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 ... LastLast