Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was this book too short or too long for you?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too short.

29 23.20%
  • Too long.

24 19.20%
  • It was good as it was. No more no less.

72 57.60%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Was this book too long or too short for you?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Forced to choose between his precious tower, or ANYTHING else, I think its quite obvious what his choice would be. This is callous. He would not find happiness in ANYTHING but acheiving his goal. This is anhedonic. And he would do it without grimace or tears. This is emotionless. I dont hate the guy. He is what he is. I just enjoyed the glimpse of Roland's vulnerable side that we get to see in W and G.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think we see it a bit more than just there.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I think we see it a bit more than just there.
    a bit, yes... understatement intended, as far as bears can see...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

*sigh*
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree that Roland was completely different after the W + G read. The largest bulk of his character development occurs in that book. I think without the book, I would think Roland was "Callous" like Browning's said.

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Like I said before, WaG adds emotion to the emotionless. Before SK just told the audience that Roland possessed human emotions like sorrow over dropping Jake. I didn't necessarily buy into any of these statements until I kinew about what happened at Mejis and then later at Gilead.

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

John F. Kennedy Anastasia is on a distinguished road Anastasia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's my favorite book so far. It was perfectly fine, not short not long. However, I really wanted it to be longer and tell us more about Roland's past. Before WaG I wasn't quite sure who Roland was, his intentions, true thoughts and feelings. And after that book we got so much background that Roland's character became at least less dim and more understandable.
    Yes, he was different then but he was young and it was many many years ago. However, sometimes while reading the latter books you can get a glimpse of that Roland from WaG.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

It's strange because he is different and so similar at the same time.. I mean you notice the seeds in his heart his later personality and his destiny grew out from.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was long, yes but the ending of the falshback is so stunning that even if you're prepared...you get shocked the way I was.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The book was good as it was, although I would have liked to know more about his former ka-tet.
    I have to admit I did like the emotionless gunslinger better than the teenage one we see in W&G.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    The book was good as it was, although I would have liked to know more about his former ka-tet.
    I have to admit I did like the emotionless gunslinger better than the teenage one we see in W&G.
    And which one do you like more if we add the Roland who was strong but definitely not emotionless at the end of the series?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

::a little off topic -::
    I wonder where everyone has seen that emotionless gunslinger... In TDotT he is bursting with emotions, and then it's only escalating.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would have to liked to read more about his old Ka-tet but I lhave enjoyed W&G more second time round. I think the book is the right length and his story needed telling.

I dont' think he is emotionless he was just used to being alone when he first meets his Ka-tet in Drawing.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

What I disliked most about W&G was timing for if I had known about young Roland at the beginning and read in a continuation it would be a completely different story, but slapping it into almost the ending of the series, and not spending enough time with it, I felt I was cheated a little bit, that instead of illuminating Roland's character - who I already loved - that it took away a lot of the mystery. I liked Roland being mysterious. That's how I felt initially. I'll let you know when I reread it how my opinion has changed. That is the one I have not reread more than twice.

I did not like Susan. I thought she lacked substance. The whole romance lacked substance and believability. I understood what it was trying to achieve but it did not touch that chord in me. In that instance, it was too rushed and therefore unbelievabale.

In fact, to be truly honest, I really just rushed through the whole flashback because I truly wanted to just get on with the story. I wanted to know what would happen next, I didn't think upon starting the book "oh well how did Roland get here?" If there had been something that would drive me into thinking that question, maybe I wouldn't have felt so annoyed that we were stuck in a flashback.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

At the beginnig I thought the same. I was actually so bothered I started reading the Road to have a break. But then, when I got sipped in, I really enjoyed it. It's really weird to come back to reality after all this teenage adventure.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ::a little off topic -::
    I wonder where everyone has seen that emotionless gunslinger... In TDotT he is bursting with emotions, and then it's only escalating.
    Before Roland meets Jake
    That was part of the reason why I was hooked on the Gunslinger from the start. I agree that he has a lot more emotions from the moment he lets Jake fall until the end and I do like the strong Roland we see at the end of the series. I still prefer the almost inhuman one from the very start.

Country
    Country Flag

I see... you know, if he went on that way for two more pages, I would have dropped the book forever...

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I can see why. I don't usually like the closest to reality characters.
    Anyway, back to the topic
    I still would have liked to see more of what the old Ka-tet have been through together on the road back to Gilead but then the book would have become some sort of tourist guide

Traveler daemon is on a distinguished road daemon's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well I just finished reading it. In Greek it is 813 pages. I find it ok. But I feel somehow tired. I've read about 2300 pages and I am almost in the middle of the road. Anyway, it is a great book.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    Don't get me wrong, as a whole I enjoyed the book. However, I am mystified about the hoopla surrounding Roland and Susan's relationship.
    Agreed!!! As Jean stated, Susan was such a cliche character.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I also agree with Woofer. She said what I feel about the book. I might add that Susan was a terribly annoying character, imo. I really love all the "flashback" scenes involving the first ka-tet and the Big Coffin Hunters but whenever Susan came into the picture, I lost interest.
    This is how I feel and too agree with Woofer! After reading the BoT issue 2 with the mention of Susan just does something to me. I don't know why I don't like that character.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The book could have been 500 pages longer and I wouldn't have minded.

When it first turned to the flashback I was frustrated because I wanted to continue with the story but when I was coming to the end of the flashback I was praying for it not to end!

I almost feel like we could have had a whole back story series which would have filled in some of the gaps, but not all, I think the Lord of the Rings is all the better for the patchy history, which makes you yearn for the missing pieces.

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, someone who wouldn't have minded a longer WaG. Good to see you noal. Welcome to the site. You might be surprised but there aren't so many people out there like you. But I am on your side. Well, WaG was perfect as it was but because I loved it but I wouldn't mind if it was longer (but many many people would so for your sake let it be as it is).

Along the Path of the Beam Bad Karma will become famous soon enough Bad Karma's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Wow, someone who wouldn't have minded a longer WaG. Good to see you noal. Welcome to the site. You might be surprised but there aren't so many people out there like you. But I am on your side. Well, WaG was perfect as it was but because I loved it but I wouldn't mind if it was longer (but many many people would so for your sake let it be as it is).
    You are not alone. There's nothing more which I can say to add to this conversation, other than letting you know that I feel as you do.

Well bargained and done!

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I suppose I just like an epic story that is fleshed out.

The Lord Of The Rings, for me, is so much more rewarding because there are back stories and history. Some, like The Children Of Hurin, are told in more detail, whereas the Quenta Silmarillion is quite short but more mythical which always left me wanting more.

I don't really get on with comics so that part will be kind of lost to me. I wish Mr King had wrote a whole 1000 page back-story book about the history of Gilead rather than The Wind Through The Keyhole, which, by the sounds of it, will just fill in a gap through the main quest. (Although I AM really looking forward to it!)

I suppose in the end I am just being greedy and although Mr King was influenced by Tolkien and LOTR I don't know if he intended to turn The Dark Tower into an exact replica.

Sorry if I have gone slightly off topic but I just wanted people to know why i think so highly of Wizard and Glass.

Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast