Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was this book too short or too long for you?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too short.

29 23.20%
  • Too long.

24 19.20%
  • It was good as it was. No more no less.

72 57.60%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Was this book too long or too short for you?

Traveler GranChi is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In my opinion, definitely too long. I might not mind as much if the book actually focused a lot on Roland and his friends, and clearly explained the progression of what was going on. But it didn't - a lot of the flashback was just randomly changing perspectives along all the different characters, and it made the book kind of confusing and honestly pretty tiring. It got to the point where it was like "What's this interaction between Sheemie and Coral now? Why am I supposed care?" Even when it did focus on Roland, it was mostly just bout his rather dry and apparently mostly sex-based romance with Susan. And that's another thing - did anyone notice the repetitive "every single male character creeping on Susan at some point" thing? It got kind of ridiculous. All the long descriptions every time the moon changed, all the random hard-to-remember details of the story from every point of view, and all that build-up to an ending that wasn't much more than a fight scene and Susan's creepy death... it was really a bit much for me.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy Wizard and Glass; I did at many parts, especially the end with the emerald palace. However, it was probably my least favorite Dark Tower book so far.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Give me a 2000 page Wizard and Glass and I die a happy man!

Letti knows what I'm talking about!
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I could use 2000 more pages of pre- and post-Mejis parts.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I could've taken 2000 (+) extra pages of Farson's side of the war pre and post Mejis.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

: nods :

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    It's my favourite book so far (you know I haven't finished the last book yet :p ) but somehow I feel it will be my favourite ever because of plenty of reasons.
    I wouldn't mind at all if Kind had written this story in 2200 pages.
    It would be great amazing if it was even longer.
    Let me quote myself. I opened this thread 6 years ago (jezzz) and I must admit I have totally changed my mind. Oh don't worry, I still love WaG to pieces but now I say it is good as it is. I don't need more pages. (That's something, isn't it?)

Roland would have understood.

Traveler Cravinsky will become famous soon enough Cravinsky's Avatar

I really loved Wizard & Glass, it might be my favourite but I'm trying to reserve that judgement until I have finished the series. I'm not sure I'd have liked it to be any longer, for me the pacing was well done but I could understand how it might all seem long-winded to others, it really felt like I was out in the slow-living barony of Mejis, which at times made me impatient and at other times made me feel like I could just sink into the strong imagery.

I think the best phrase to accompany Wizard & Glass is that 'time is a face on the water', sometimes the pacing was slowed to a point where we might have used our two-fingered twirling gesture, and other times great happenings were swept away in the words of but a couple of pages.

Gunslinger Apprentice Deaf&Dumb will become famous soon enough Deaf&Dumb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hate to dislike anything in the series, but I absolutely cannot get through this book in less than 2 months. Its too drawn out for me, and I just cant read more than 4-5 pages at a time.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I skipped this book entirely during my latest attempt at a reread.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I can't blame you. It wasn't one of my favorites from the series.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wizard and Glass needs to un-write itself.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

this is a wonderful idea, I wonder why it hadn't occurred to me. That book was looming like an unsurmountable obstacle on my way to rereading; now I think I'll just follow your example.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Wizard and Glass needs to un-write itself.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    this is a wonderful idea, I wonder why it hadn't occurred to me. That book was looming like an unsurmountable obstacle on my way to rereading; now I think I'll just follow your example.
    I had to do it, lest it derail the remainder of my journey.

Gunslinger Apprentice Deaf&Dumb will become famous soon enough Deaf&Dumb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I had to do it, lest it derail the remainder of my journey.
    I've been "re-reading" WaG since November. I can only get through a few pages at a time, and even then only once every few days. The book just doesn't do it for me.

Along the Path of the Beam LizzyDeschain will become famous soon enough LizzyDeschain will become famous soon enough LizzyDeschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Crappy
    Country
    Country Flag

Overall I loved this book (just finished re-reading, now on Wolves). It wasn't horribly short, I just think that some parts should have been longer with more information presented (running into Marten/Tick-Tock again for all of two seconds, for example).
    "Booker, are you afraid of God?"
    "No, but I'm afraid of you."

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I liked the beginning and end of Wizard and Glass. Some of the story telling really confused me in the flashback parts. I am onto Wolves and I really like that a lot.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Wolves is my favorite part of DT
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Wolves is my favorite part of DT

Agreed...but the old The Gunslinger is a close second. I think Jake is a bit different in the old version.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6