Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite quotes? :spoilers:

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

They were drugged, stone in love, and to them, every scar on the face of the world was a beauty-scar.

Roland would have understood.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

"I did it because a voice spoke in my mind and told me I must," Roland said. "It was the voice of my father; of all my fathers. When one hears such a voice, not to obey -- and at once -- is unthinkable. So I was taught."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"If dying was required, he intended to die as Roland."

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy gunslinger19 is on a distinguished road gunslinger19's Avatar

"Oh but there were those lamb slaughters eyes."

something about that line gives me a deep chill.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm drawing a blank with that quote gunslinger19.

What book was that quote from and who said it to whom?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing was clear to Susan until she saw the man with the long red hair and the straw hat which did not quite obscure his lamb-slaughterer's eyes; the man with the cornshucks in his hands.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

From The Gunslinger :

"Will they get us?"
    "Never in life. Be quiet a second."

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love this thread so much. I will come back later with some great quotes.

John F. Kennedy gunslinger19 is on a distinguished road gunslinger19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger19 View Post
    "Oh but there were those lamb slaughters eyes."

something about that line gives me a deep chill.
    As Jean pointed out it is in Wizard and Glass, but the wording that I have comes from Wolves of the Calla. I think it was Susannah who was remembering what happened.

Country
    Country Flag

it's Eddie, and you're right about the deep chill it gives:

The silence and the empty board sidewalks began to give Eddie the creeps. He remembered Roland's tale of Susan's final ride into Mejis in the back of a cart, standing with her hands tied in front of her and a noose around her neck. Her road had been empty, too. At first. Then, not far from the intersection of the Great Road and the Silk Ranch Road, Susan and her captors had passed a single farmer, a man with what Roland had called lamb-slaughterer's eyes. Later she would be pelted with vegetables and sticks, even with stones, but this lone farmer had been first, standing there with his handful of cornshucks, which he had tossed almost gently at her as she passed on her way to… well, on her way to charyou tree, the Reap Fair of the Old People.
    As they rode into Calla Bryn Sturgis, Eddie kept expecting that man, those lamb-slaughterer's eyes, and the handful of cornshucks. Because this town felt bad to him. Not evil—evil as Mejis had likely been on the night of Susan Delgado's death— but bad in a simpler way. Bad as in bad luck, bad choices, bad omens. Bad ka, maybe.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just listened to that scene on my ride home.
    It is good to be on that book again.
    Last edited by MonteGss; 11-13-2007 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for that Jean

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Beans beans the magical fruit the more you eat the more you....

John F. Kennedy Kyonn is on a distinguished road

Not really a quote but my favorite line will always be:

"The man in black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed"

The simplicity and power of that line can not be overstated. It sums up everthing about Roland's relentless quest in one line.

Traveler stevesnow is on a distinguished road stevesnow's Avatar

I do enjoy a quote, and I do like this thread. I'm rereading the Gunslinger right now so here are a couple:

"He had never expected it to come to this, and he was sorry."

And secondly, a bit of a DT classic to me:

"He didn't want to fall, even though there was no one to see him. It was a matter of pride. A gunslinger knows pride - that invisible bone that keeps the neck stiff."

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I love that second quote stevesnow

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    I love that second quote stevesnow
    Me too.
    A very good one.

Traveler _Sphynx_ is on a distinguished road _Sphynx_'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This one has always been a favourite of mine (and I know it's a passage and not a quote, but still):

"I had a dream last night, so I did," said Sheemie of the Mejis, whose life had once been saved by three young gunslingers from Gilead. "I dreamed that I was back in the Travellers' Rest, only Coral wasn't there, nor Stanley, nor Pettie, nor Sheb--him that used to play the pianer. There was nobbut me, and I was moppin the floor and singin 'Carless Love.' Then the batwings screeked, so they did, they had this funny sound they made..."
    Jake saw that Roland was nodding, a trace of a smile on his lips.
    "I looked up," Sheemie resumed, "and in come this boy." His eyes shifted briefly to Jake, then back to the mouth of the cave. "He looked like you, young sai, so he did, close enough to be twim. But his face were covert wi' blood and one of his eye'n were put out, spoiling his pretty, and he walked all a-limp. Looked like death he did, and frighten't me terrible, and made me sad to see him, too. I just kept moppin, thinkin that if I did that he might not never mind me, or even see me at all, and go away."
    Jake realized he knew this tale. Had he seen it? Had he actually been that bloody boy?
    "But he looked right at you..." Roland murmured, still a-hunker, still looking out into the gloom.
    "Aye, Will Dearborn that was, right at me, so he did and said 'Why must you hurt me, when I love you so? When I can do nothing else nor want to, for love made me and fed me and--"
    "'And kept me in better days,'" Eddie murmured. A tear fell from one of his eyes and made a dark spot on the floor of the cave.
    "'--and kept me in better days? Will you cut me; and disfigure my face, and fill me with woe? I have only loved you for your beauty as you once loved me for mine in the days before the world moved on. Now you scar me with nails and put burning drops of quicksilver in my nose; you have set the animals on me, so you have, and they have eaten of my softest parts. Around me the can-toi gather and there's no peace for me from their laughter. Yest I still love you and would serve you and even bring the magic again, if you would allow me, for that is how my heart was cast when I rose from the Prim. And once I was strong as well as beautiful, but now my strength is almost gone.'"
    You cried," Susannah said, and Jake thought: Of course he did. He was crying himself. So was Ted; so was Dinky Earnshaw. Only Roland was dry-eyed, and the gunslinger was pale, so pale.
    "He wept," said Sheemie (tears were rolling down his cheeks as he told his dream), "and I did, too, for I could see that he had been as fair as daylight. He said, 'If the torture were to stop now, I might still recover--if never my looks, then at least my strength--'"
    "'My kes,'" Jake said, and although he'd never heard the word before he pronounced it correctly, almost as if it were kiss.
    "'--and my kes. But another week... or maybe five days... or even three... and it will be too late. Even if the torture stops, I'll die. And you'll die too, for when love leaves the world, all hearts are still. Tell them of my love and tell them of my pain and tell them of my hope, which still lives. For this is all I have and all I am and all I ask.' Then the boy turned and went out. The batwing door made its same sound. Skree-eek."
    He looked at Jake, now, and smiled like one who has just awakened. "I can't answer your question, sai." He knocked a fist on his forehead. "Don't have much in the way of brains up here, me--only cobwebbies. Cordelia Delgado said so, and I reckon she was right."
    Jake made no reply. He was dazed. He had dreamed about the same disfigured boy, but not in any saloon; it had been in Gage Park, the one where they'd seen Charlie the Choo-Choo. Last night. Had to have been. He hadn't remembered untill now, probably never have remembered if Sheemie hadn't told his own dream. And had Roland, Eddie and Susannah also had a version of the same dream? Yes. He could see it in their faces, just as he could see that Ted and Dinky looked moved but otherwise bewildered.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a great passage right there Sphinx, thanks for putting it out here.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

John F. Kennedy DTrose19 is on a distinguished road DTrose19's Avatar

" If you say it so, let it be so sia. "

I find myself using this one alot in conversation not really sure why.

and "Ka is a wheel"

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DTrose19 View Post
    " If you say it so, let it be so sia. "

oh good one. I think i can mentally apply that to my life.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Traveler Toren is on a distinguished road

"So what do we do?" Eddie asked. "You must have an idea, or you never would have sent him away."
    "His great intelligence - coupled with his long period of loneliness and forced inactivity - may have combined to make him more human than he knows. That's my hope, anyway. First, we must establish a kind of geography. We must tell, if we can, where he is weak and where he is strong, where he is sure of the game and where not so sure. Riddles are not just about the cleverness of the riddler, never think it. They are also about the blind spots of he who is riddled."
    "Does he have blind spots?" Eddie asked.
    "If he doesn't," Roland said calmly, "we're going to die on this train."
    "I like the way you kind of ease us over the rough spots," Eddie said with a thin smile. "It's one of your many charms."

Country
    Country Flag

"I was going to send it back but will keep it because I at least liked the pictures (especially Oy). But the story was a cheat. Can you spell CHEAT Mr. King? M-O-O-N, that spells CHEAT."

I laughed out loud in the grocery store when I got to this part again in the audiobook.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

" Then why don't you want to look at it?' Sunannah asked.
    " Because it is trouble," Roland said, " and it's in our road. We'll get there in time. No need to live in trouble until trouble comes. "
    Wizard and Glass

Country
    Country Flag

I laughed when I listened to this on my drive this evening:

"Bark! Ark! Shit-bark!"

Courtesy of Oy through Jake's mouth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast