Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Books so bad they make you Anemic.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

most children's book serials. like the nancy drew series, goosebumps, magic treehouse... they are so damned awful.
    Johnathan rand shoulda made a Michigan Chillers book about Flint, now that's scary.
    i heard she's worse than Dean Koontz, and that's bad.
    his novel "Watchers" wasn't too bad

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Flint is scary in and of itself.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by razz2008 View Post
    I hated "To Kill a Mockingbird". And "The Great Gatsby"
    Gatsby was kinda boring, and MOckingbird was plain retarded. aslo, they didn't even teach us how to kill a mockingbird. that's false advertising.
    [/facepalm]

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Kids books like Goosebumps and The Babysitters Club were wonderful if for no other reason then it got kids to read. So when they are older they move on and realize the books were bad. It got them to read.

I liked To Kill a Mockingbird ok, but I HATED The Great Gatsby. Snorefest. A short story I didn't like, The Old Man and the Sea. Sorry for any Hemingway fans, but there was no point. Longest damn short story I ever read.

And I know I will probably get slapped down for this but.... as much as I loved the first three books of Dune, I wasn't too thrilled with the 4th and hated the 5th. I started the 6th only to realize I hated it as much as the 5th and didn't finish it.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

alot of people have said that, Telynn, but let me say something else.

I've never liked any of the Dune books.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

If I could, just for a moment, throw my contribution in to the cog of this hate-filled machine that is this thread, I'd just like to include DHALGREN in the mix here. I'd love for someone to discuss this with me.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    <...> I HATED The Great Gatsby. Snorefest. A short story I didn't like, The Old Man and the Sea. Sorry for any Hemingway fans, but there was no point. Longest damn short story I ever read.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    !!! agree with the three statements !!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Jane's cool with me and I LOVED To Kill a Mockingbird.
    so did i, but then my rifle broke.

Flint is scary in and of itself.
    one of the few cities you can watch a gang fight like a movie. from your bedroom window

even more fun if it's at night and you got an air rifle and megaphone

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Blood Meridian. Beloved. Total suck.
    I am in total shock.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Things Fall Apart.

"Yam, king of crop" is about what that book amounts to, to me at least. 'Course, I read it back in tenth grade, and I'd like to think I've matured at least a little bit since then. Maybe I'd see it differently now. I sure despised it back then, though.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Things Fall Apart.
    'Course, I read it back in tenth grade, and I'd like to think I've matured at least a little bit since then. Maybe I'd see it differently now. I sure despised it back then, though.
    maybe not Laura. I read it in 8th grade and thought it was horrible. read it again in college and though i appreciated it's cultural significance a bit more at that point, i still hated it.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I am in total shock.
    Really? I think Cormac is the devil. Blood Meridian is now officially the only book I have never finished. My version of hell would be being locked in a room with nothing but books by Cormac McCarthy. Seriously.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I am in total shock.
    Really? I think Cormac is the devil. Blood Meridian is now officially the only book I have never finished. My version of hell would be being locked in a room with nothing but books by Cormac McCarthy. Seriously.

Your hell is my heaven, Dag.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh well, to each his own.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I thought that Things Fall Apart was great. I have much respect for Chinua Achebe.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Perhaps if I were to try to read it once more in a non-academic setting I might get more out of it than I had previously.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Yeah, I'm willing to give it another go too, as I am a different person than I was as a high school sophomore.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

i still have the copy i read in college. one of these days i will have to give it another go.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I thought that Things Fall Apart was great. I have much respect for Chinua Achebe.
    What he said.

Hmmm. Books I've hated.

I could never get into Huckleberry Finn. But it was probably the hectic school imposed pace I was forced to read it that lead to my distaste.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    alot of people have said that, Telynn, but let me say something else.

Ditto

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

the crucible I did not like... but I LOVED My Fair Lady...

crucible... play or was there a novelization? hated the play. movie wasn't too bad.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I could never get into Huckleberry Finn....
    It was ok, I wouldn't say I hated it. However, I really don't understand why it is considered such a classic. Tom Sawyer was way better, imo.

never read either.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast