Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Books so bad they make you Anemic.

John F. Kennedy susie is on a distinguished road susie's Avatar

i hate these books:

1. victorian drawing room dramas. i just... I HATE THEM.
    2. mary shelley's frankenstein. i stomped on my copy, and i generally believe in non-violence towards books. XD
    3. dostoevsky's crime and punishment (i dislike his characters/ideals)
    4. most children's book serials. like the nancy drew series, goosebumps, magic treehouse... they are so damned awful.
    "where the road is dark and the seed is sowed
    where the gun is cocked and the bullets cold
    where the miles are marked in the blood and gold
    i'll meet you further on up the road"
    -themaninblack

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    i hate these books:

1. victorian drawing room dramas. i just... I HATE THEM.
    2. mary shelley's frankenstein. i stomped on my copy, and i generally believe in non-violence towards books. XD
    3. dostoevsky's crime and punishment (i dislike his characters/ideals)
    4. most children's book serials. like the nancy drew series, goosebumps, magic treehouse... they are so damned awful.

Victorian drawing room comedies are much better. Much love for Oscar Wilde.

And the Dostoevsky hate makes me sad.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I can't believe all this Jane Austen hate. I only recently started reading her stuff, but so far I've loved all that I've read.

I know. I'm really quite broken up about it. Jane doesn't get much love around here.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Jane's cool with me and I LOVED To Kill a Mockingbird.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Johnny Tremaine....

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I can't believe all this Jane Austen hate. I only recently started reading her stuff, but so far I've loved all that I've read.

I know. I'm really quite broken up about it. Jane doesn't get much love around here.
    yes, she does

for Jane O.:

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    is The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck. Who would make an 8th grader read this? It was so dull. Not Hawthorne dull, but still, snoozers all the way. I wonder if it's any better if you read it as an adult? not that i plan on doing that any time soon.
    Dude, I can choke you for this. My older brother got this as required reading when I was in eigth grade and he was in tenth, and I read it for him. To this day it's one of my favorite books.

also, Johnny Tremain is a great book. I only wish it were longer!

the only book I can honestly say I hated so much I couldn't finish it is anything by Dean Kootnz. Fuck him in his fucken ass.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, man, I loved the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew when I was a kid. They really introduced me to reading, and since there were so many of them, I always had another book in the pipe.

I'm not a Robin Cook fan at all. Every book feels the same.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

i read all the Hardy Boys books when I was in 4th grade. Loved them, really.

i hated everything by Stephen Crane, and here recently I'd forgotten that. i bought red badge of courage the other day and it sucks!
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a friendly reminder of how horrendously bad writing can get: JANE FUCKIN' AUSTIN!!!!!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that reminder Brice. Keep em comin'.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Also quite bad is Jane Austin.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Brice, I hear Jane Austen sucks. What do you think?

My Mood
    Breezy

i heard she's worse than Dean Koontz, and that's bad.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, she's really a pretty good writer.
    Spoiler:
    ..with the possible exception of every word she's written which should be summarily excised from the language now that they are tainted by coming from her cursed hands.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    A hundred Dean Koontz's couldn't equal the blight on the language that this woman created.

If you rescue me

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    She's so bad they should be legally obliged to clearly print the words "Worse than Dean Koontz" on the jacket of all of her books.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Brice, if you're going to be insulting you can at least spell her name right. It's Austen.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dark Tower 7.

I'm (kinda) half-joking. Its rare to read a book that I *hate*. I mean, there are books I don't like, but a lot of the time its movies that are more likely to get a strong negative reaction from me.

On the other hand, I enjoyed DT7 more than Scarlet Letter (for example), which I found boring. Still, DT7 pissed me off more for reasons I have stated elsewhere that I don't feel like dragging up now. I mean, Scarlet Letter was harmless in the long run. DT7 left a taint on what used to be my favorite books.

I suppose if I were to read His Dark Materials, I might get a stronger negative reaction because everything I've read about Pullman has him coming off as a prick. King, while I don't like some of his stuff, comes off as nice person.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Brice, if you're going to be insulting you can at least spell her name right. It's Austen.

Oh, well I didn't want to cut off my hands for typing her name.

*runs to start The Reasons There Cannot Be A God: Jane Austen Thread*

*boils hands*

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Dark Tower 7.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!

If you rescue me

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, I love the first six books. I think 6 to 1 is a pretty decent ratio.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, six out of seven times you are correct.

If you rescue me

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I loooove TKaM. Always have, always will.

However, I did NOT like The Dress Lodger. Couldn't even make it past the first fifteen pages. Blech. The subject matter sounded awesome, but I could not get along with the writer's style. That was a few years ago, I might give it another shot.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast