Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Books so bad they make you Anemic.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Default Books so bad they make you Anemic.

lets start shall we?
    -Goosebumps. as i grew up, every kid was reading the goosebumps books. around fourth grade i started to mention that to kids. They say it's better that what your reading. i hold up a 300 page Crichton Novel. they shut up.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Blood Meridian. Beloved. Total suck.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If everything Jane Austin wrote were erased from this planet I wouldn't be upset at all. Quite possibly the most boring writer to EVER have lived.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I've said it before...I'll say it again: F*cking Scarlet Letter! (shakes fist)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    If everything Jane Austin wrote were erased from this planet I wouldn't be upset at all. Quite possibly the most boring writer to EVER have lived.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I hated "To Kill a Mockingbird". And "The Great Gatsby"
    Gatsby was kinda boring, and MOckingbird was plain retarded. aslo, they didn't even teach us how to kill a mockingbird. that's false advertising.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razz2008 View Post
    I hated "To Kill a Mockingbird". And "The Great Gatsby"
    Gatsby was kinda boring, and MOckingbird was plain retarded. aslo, they didn't even teach us how to kill a mockingbird. that's false advertising.

I liked Mockingbird....but that's funny.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jubilee by Margaret Walker. Horrible book in my opinion.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually used to hate The Scarlet Letter quite a bit, but then I read it again when I was older and really liked it.

I can't think of any off the top of my head. Usually if I really dislike a book I just won't finish it. I would say the worst I have read to completion was probably Christine.
    Heng Dai

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

one of my very favorite authors...

I hated "To Kill a Mockingbird".

one of my very favorite books...

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    at last something I can agree with!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

See, I knew I loved you!

<---------- is a HUGE Jane Austen fan!

<---------- LOVED To Kill a Mockingbird

<---------- was so/so on The Scarlet Letter

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't hate scarlet letter. never read it. if i do, i probably will hate it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

How could you assume that?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I have never been able to finish anything by Dostoyevsky. I know he wrote some classics of literature and all, but I just couldnt slog through all those names.
    :blink:

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

one of my very favorite authors...

I hated "To Kill a Mockingbird".

one of my very favorite books...

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    at last something I can agree with!
    I will spare y'all of my comprehensive list of things I'd prefer over reading even one word this woman wrote.

If you rescue me

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

first to weigh in on two of the prev mentioned...

i LOVE to kill a mockingbird. great story, great characters, well written.

Scarlet Letter = most boring book ever. well maybe not the most boring, but if that's not, than surely something else written by Nathaniel Hawthorne must be. he is, by a wide margin, the most boring author i have ever read.

now, since these were both books i initially read due to some school requirement, let me suggest another book i had to read for the same 8th grade english in which i first read To Kill a Mockingbird, and that is The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck. Who would make an 8th grader read this? It was so dull. Not Hawthorne dull, but still, snoozers all the way. I wonder if it's any better if you read it as an adult? not that i plan on doing that any time soon.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I absolutely love everything Hawthorne wrote. Jayson, just read Jane Austen. After that ALL other writing will seem profoundly interesting.

If you rescue me

Hawthorne is the cure for insomnia.
    I've read Pride and Prejudice and I agree, Austen is awful.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I hated Hawthorne in highschool, but once I started studying him on the college level, he became one of my favorite authors. As it turns out, he was just being taught to me wrong. He is quite an interesting author once you realize that he has a lot of puritain guilt and it mostly making fun of his puritain ancestors.

As for bad books, The Deerslayer, or anything by James Fenimore Cooper makes me want to stab my eyes out with a spoon.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Wow, this is kind of a painful thread to read.

First, To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my all time favorite books. It is probably tied with On The Road.

Secondly, I really liked The Scarlet Letter. I think it helps if you're older when you read it and aren't forced to "study" it for school.

I nominate two books that I had to read, both multiple times, for classes :

1. A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Yeah, I get the imagery. Get over yourself.

2. Ethan Frome. Oh. My. God. How. Boring. Good, though, if you're allergic to Ambien and need something to put you to sleep.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    1. A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Yeah, I get the imagery. Get over yourself.
    agree with you there. i HATED that book.

heres an alternative booklist to those things wa hate
    1. Fahrenheit 451
    2. Anything SK
    3.Anything Crichton.
    4. The Home Team: Undeclared War.
    5.Any novelization of a Doctor Who episode

How could you assume that?
    1. not by Stephen King
    2. not by Michael Crichton
    3. not a novelization of a Doctor Who Episode
    4. It sounds like it has no action in it
    5. everyone at my school hates it
    6. it doesn't give me a sense of foreboding when i think of the title

and my forbodie-senses is never wrong

also, read the god delusion.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've never been able to make it thru To Kill a Mockingbird. I remember having to read it for some english lit class in highschool, and I think I just glanced over portions of the story to get the jist. And then just recently a friend of mine who loves that story insisted that I try reading it again, so I did, but still could not get into it, and was never able to finish it.

I can't believe all this Jane Austen hate. I only recently started reading her stuff, but so far I've loved all that I've read.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast