Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1621

Thread: What Are You Currently Reading: Comics

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Hauptmann Veit #1
    New German medieval graphic novel series
    limited first edition, signed and remarqued from the artist Nofi

http://www.hauptmann-veit.de/

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Finished:

Grant Morrison - The Doom Patrol omnibus
    Warren Ellis - Ocean (reread)
    Ed Brubaker - The Fade Out Vol. 1

Starting:

Junji Ito - Gyo (2-in-1 edition)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Is Ocean a single trade?

Also, I was about to pick up Trees over the weekend, but I ended up going with the next volumes of Prophet and East of West.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It was a single trade but it recently got reprinted in a snazzy hardcover back to back with Orbiter. They're both great "first contact" stories. I was surprised that my library had it.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You guys hear that Grant Morrison will be the new Editor In Chief of Heavy Metal?
    Heavy Metal is getting a punk rock facelift under new editor Grant Morrison

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That's awesome. Grant Morrison is the greatest comic auteur of all time obviously, so anywhere he goes he's an immediate upgrade.

What has Heavy Metal published lately tho?

Traveler DarthMalice777 will become famous soon enough DarthMalice777's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any of you fine folks read Wytches yet? I read the first 3 issues monthly, and then decided it was a story I had to read at once via trade. I still collect a handful of single issues monthly, but if the story is any good I find myself waiting until I have 5-6 issues to sit down and read at once anyway. Anyone else have this same "issue", or just me?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

No, I did the same thing with Vertigo's Spaceman. I bought the first two issues and then just decided to buy the TPB.

Wytches is Snyder, right? I'll probably get to it at some point. I love all of his work. His run on Batman is incredible.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    No, I did the same thing with Vertigo's Spaceman. I bought the first two issues and then just decided to buy the TPB.

Wytches is Snyder, right? I'll probably get to it at some point. I love all of his work. His run on Batman is incredible.
    Wytches is written by Snyder, and I couldn't agree with you more about his and Capullo's run on Batman. Its simply brilliant. There are specific stories/tpb's that are "better", but as far as on-going team, they are a perfect compliment to each other. Jock does art for Wytches, and again it fits Snyder's writing for that series perfectly. I also just picked up first tpb of Wicked+Divine. Heard its good, and I like the premise, so I'm interested.

Country
    Country Flag

I have Wytches in single issues. Extra non-fiction at the end each book is worth it.

Recently I've read Redhand by Kurt Busiek (from Humanoids) and Descender #5.

I tried Wicked + Divine. A seventeen-year-old angsty me would've probably dug it. Maybe. Cool idea but the characters are either despicable or art school wanna-be try-hards. I just find that kind of quirky, immature humor gets old really fast. Instead of making me chuckle I keep wanting to strangle a fictional character because no one ever in the history of the world (or Grant Morrison's Multiverse) talked that way.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMalice777 View Post
    Any of you fine folks read Wytches yet? I read the first 3 issues monthly, and then decided it was a story I had to read at once via trade. I still collect a handful of single issues monthly, but if the story is any good I find myself waiting until I have 5-6 issues to sit down and read at once anyway. Anyone else have this same "issue", or just me?
    What do you think of Wytches? There are only 6 issues out at this time right? What do you think of the artwork? It sounded interesting so I read all 6. I really liked it, but sometimes the artwork was a bit hard to understand what I was seeing. Is that a new trend with the art or is that the creator's vision?
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMalice777 View Post
    What do you think of Wytches? There are only 6 issues out at this time right? What do you think of the artwork? It sounded interesting so I read all 6. I really liked it, but sometimes the artwork was a bit hard to understand what I was seeing. Is that a new trend with the art or is that the creator's vision?
    I LOVED the story and the art 90-95% of the time, but it can be hard to read here and there. I think it's just Jock's vision/style for this story. At least the first arc anyway. I just grabbed vol 1 of Transmetropolitan, Chew, and East of West. I really want to like American Vampire, I love everything else Scott Snyder has written, but I just don't think the art style fits the story at all. Am I the only ones who has issues like this, on any series?

Country
    Country Flag

When it comes to comics, for me to fully enjoy them everything has to be just perfect, right down to lettering. That seems to be Jock's style in general and for me it worked in Wytches. It's a dark story so splotchy, vague artwork made it look/feel more ominous. I can totally see why people wouldn't like it though. I've given up on great stories because I couldn't get into the artwork. I've skipped some titles because of the artists attached (Zezelj, Stjepan Sejic, Liefield) and with some I'll force myself to read the story even if I don't like the artwork (recent books by Warren Ellis and Locke and Key by Joe Hill).

I prefer detailed and intricate line work with artwork that's trying to look realistic. That's why someone like Rodriguez on Locke and Key simply doesn't do it for me - his faces are boxy looking with exaggerated features and expressions. Or the art on Chew - I can't get into that book because it's so cartoony. JH Williams III, Jose Juan Ryp and Eddie Campbell are some of my favourites. I really like all the different artists on Sandman and Hellboy because they fit the mood of the story.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm the same way. For example, for years I avoided reading Preacher because I simply didn't like Steve Dillon's art. This is also why I haven't read much Morrison or Gaimen. But if the story is there I have found I can forgive the seemingly poor choice of artist quite a bit.
    Initially I wasn't crazy over Rodriguez' art on Locke & Key either, but I'm glad a finally gave it a chance. I thought Locke & Key was fantastic, and even grew to appreciate what Gabriel Rodriguez was able to contribute to the title.

Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree with you WeDealInLead and Killjoy, I just wish I "liked" the art style better, or at list that it fit the story better. Either way I'm going to stick with American Vampire unless I stop liking the story. After all, even being a visual medium, story makes or breaks comics for me anyday. Just got the Deluxe Edition of Manhattan Projects, collects Vol 1&2, and I LOVE it so far. And now you made me want to read Sandman again, damn you!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Story reigns supreme for me, art a second.

Manhattan Projects is fantastic, East of West is fantastic. Jonathan Hickman is a fucking beast.

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Borgias by Jodorowsky & Manara. I'm not going to go into the contents and shocking scenes from the book. Just think about what these two are known for.

Gyo deluxe was a fine horror book too. Incredible artwork. The story was interesting but like everything else by Ito, it got pretty ridiculous as the story progressed. Very creepy vibe. Recommended.

Crossed 100 wrapped up the first arc. I was under the impression that when it was first solicited, the story would be self-contained and written by Alan Moore only. Si Spurrier is taking over with the next issue. I feel a little cheated and will be dropping the book from the pull-list. $4 is a little much for a story that can now go on infinitely, just like Crossed Badlands.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Any feedback for They're Not Like Us from Eric Stephenson?

And speaking of Stephenson, when the fuck are we getting more Nowhere Men?

Country
    Country Flag

I'd like to know the answers to both of those too.

I'm reading BPRD 1946-1948 and having a blast. For some people it's zombies, for some it's vampires. One of my favourites is Nazis and the occult.

Country
    Country Flag

Finally read Sex Criminals Vol 1, really dug it. Fresh idea/concept, gonna try and get Vol 2 soon. I also plan on restarting Manhattan Projects and catching up on Saga.

Country
    Country Flag

OMG that last page of Lazarus #18! This is going to make such a great TV show.

Low is still a solid title but I find myself losing interest. It's still well-written but Remender is creating new story lines/possibilities instead of tying up lose ends.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

One of my students gave me the first in the CHEW series. Great Stuff.

Country
    Country Flag

Finally finished B.P.R.D. 1946-1948 (it's four trade paperbacks in a single omnibus). Great stuff. I also read Grant Morrison's Final Crisis again. Divinity by Matt Kindt wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Maybe it was unintentional but I got a strong Space Odyssey 2001 vibe from the book, especially the philosophical aspects of it. I liked it a lot.

I'm deciding if I should read The Sleeper (omnibus) or Sin City (omnibus).

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn, I had no idea The Fade Out Vol. 2 wasn't out until October. I hate waiting.

Country
    Country Flag

Gave up on The Sleeper three issues in. I just didn't care for Drifter and I've had enough of Ed Brubaker's noir books to last me a lifetime. I read Welcome Back, Frank by Garth Ennis instead. The Punisher got really creative with some of the kills = over the top hilarity.

I've also read two European S.F. comics: Aldebaran Vol. 1 and The City of Shifting Waters. Aldebaran is set on a planet colony after they lost contact with Earth. The story is pretty complex, the creatures are weird and monstrous, and the art is just perfect. Fine line work, great pacing and composition. It's crazy it's just one person doing the writing, drawing and colouring. The City of Shifting Waters is a little lighter in tone; it's pulpy science fiction with time travel, New York City in ruins, bandits, robots with lasers etc. The book is thirty-eight years old but the story and art both hold up well.

I tried Alan Moore's Providence #2 and #3 and put them down right away. He's being weird again and I'm going to have to be in the right mood and with no one home to fully digest this. It's a testament to the strength and quality of his work that his readership both worships him and feels intimidated by his books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast