Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Currently Reading: Comics

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Must watch that the moment I get home from work, as I really do enjoy a lot of Stewart Lee's standup work.

And I forgot about The Killing Joke! Yes, that I quite liked, too.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    Batman Death in the family was pretty cool. onto the next one I picked up.
    It better be The Dark Knight Returns !
    You would be correct. Even though I'm kind of confused by when in the story line of Batman it should take place. Or is it a one off kind of series. Because...
    Spoiler:
    In Death in the Family Jason Todd/ Robin dies and in the second half of that novel he is replaced by Tim (last name I can't remember). But in Batman returns Batman is old and has been retired for 10 years and he still is upset about Jason dying.

One thing I hate about reading the books that have different comics as a collection for that story arc is you'll have a character show up or somebody will mention " I wonder what's going on with whats his face. Or so and so is taking care of this problem." and since I've never read any other batman comics I'm left wanting to know what they are talking about. But you can't go back and find out since that story line could be from the 60's for all I know.

It is nice that I can go on amazon or to my local comic store and find the collections.

Can't wait to finally order all the Walking Dead books and the latest volume so I can be caught up on the comics. Then I can start in on the individual comics.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

You know why I like Moore? Because his work makes you fully dedicate all your senses to it. Each panel is incredibly thought out. Have any of you read his scripts? So dense and complex.

His comics really can seem intimidating though. I've had From Hell on my shelf for three years and I've read only 15 or so pages. The damn thing has got goddamn footnotes. Totally nutso.

My Moore top three are (clearly) Watchmen, V and his epic run on Swamp Thing. I think his run on ST made me see comics differently and demand more from them. Artwork is just spectacular. The way they some times lay out the panels is quite original.

For quick reads that aren't some massive run I suggest Light of thy Countenance and Neonomicon. The latter has been issued with the prequel, The Courtyard. Ctulhu stuff (which I'm not a big fan of) but it's really well done.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

Batman Death in the family was pretty cool. onto the next one I picked up.
    It better be The Dark Knight Returns !
    You would be correct. Even though I'm kind of confused by when in the story line of Batman it should take place. Or is it a one off kind of series. Because...
    Spoiler:
    In Death in the Family Jason Todd/ Robin dies and in the second half of that novel he is replaced by Tim (last name I can't remember). But in Batman returns Batman is old and has been retired for 10 years and he still is upset about Jason dying.

One thing I hate about reading the books that have different comics as a collection for that story arc is you'll have a character show up or somebody will mention " I wonder what's going on with whats his face. Or so and so is taking care of this problem." and since I've never read any other batman comics I'm left wanting to know what they are talking about. But you can't go back and find out since that story line could be from the 60's for all I know.

It is nice that I can go on amazon or to my local comic store and find the collections.

Can't wait to finally order all the Walking Dead books and the latest volume so I can be caught up on the comics. Then I can start in on the individual comics.

The Dark Knight Returns was written in 1986, which was actually before Jason Todd died in the comics by two years or so. They don't specify how he dies in it because it was a hypothetical death in what is meant to be a potential future for Batman. I guess Miller kind of predicted the future with it, though I had never really thought about it.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Moore is the kind of person that's very much aware of his own genius and as such can come across as painfully snotty.

Regardless of how you might feel about him, you can't deny the influence of his work. One of the things I love about his work is his meticulous attention to detail. In Watchmen ... spoilers, I guess ?

Spoiler:
    The death of Rorschach - the panel for his death is no bigger than any of the panels that come before it. Usually the death of a major character warrants a full page to adequately convey it's impact. This was done on purpose to illustrate that his death is just another piece of the puzzle, "one more body amongst foundations" as Rorschach himself stated a few panels before.

Brilliant.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I was going to rave about the latest Locke & Key HB, but you're talking about Moore and now I feel like I should talk in hushed tones and not take his name in vain. As Pop Will Eat Itself rightfully sang, with great reverence, Alan Moore knows the score!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Moore shall henceforth be referred to as, He Who Shall Not Be Named

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Alan Moore's beard can cast spells on its own, even spells with verbal components.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

Batman: serious house on serious earth=AWESOME. Now to go and find some more Batman novels and maybe a couple of others.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    His comics really can seem intimidating though. I've had From Hell on my shelf for three years and I've read only 15 or so pages.
    I've read From Hell, but I found it quite hard going in places.
    Spoiler:
    Particularly that bit where two characters tour London. I understand I'm probably missing things and just didn't see the significance, but it actually turned reading the comic into a chore for me. That being said, the artwork depicting those locations was fabulous.

My Moore top three are (clearly) Watchmen, V and his epic run on Swamp Thing.
    I haven't read all of Moore's stuff, but I've read those, and enjoyed them a lot. I'd actually rank V for Vendetta over Watchmen, but Watchmenwas good. One series I have read that doesn't appear to be listed here (although it might be some pages back as this thread has been around for a while) is The Balad of Halo Jones. It was a series Alan Moore wrote back earlier in his career when he worked as a script-droid for 2000 AD.

If you like strong female characters, slightly strange sci-fi, a bit of comedy and some genuinely thought provoking, and sometimes heart-wrenching stuff, not to mention some lovely detailed Ian Gibson art*, I'd highly recommend it. It's not as well known as much of Alan Moore's other works, but I think it stands up.

*It's black and white, but if you're used to colour, please don't let that put you off.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha, fucking awesome youtube clip btw Chris

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Well, I was going to rave about the latest Locke & Key HB,
    I need to finish this one. I got sidetracked and went back to The Walking Dead. Just finished Vol 11 last night. I'm quite shocked by everything that's happened. I have the rest of Book 6 to get through and then hopefully I'll get the rest for Christmas
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't picked up any new TPB's for a while, it can get so damn expensive. I've been sticking to single issues these past few months.

Country
    Country Flag

So the wife and I have recently found the Comics app on our Kindle Fire and grabbed a bunch of old-ish comics that looked cool. The wife grabbed Zenescopes twisted versions of alice in wonderland and Grimm Fairy Tales which were really cool to read. I've been going back and reading Walking Dead starting with volume 1 since the digital versions are $5-6 cheaper then the print versions. PLUS they don't take up any room in the house.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I was really hoping the Hellboy comics would be on the kindle but they're not. I got the 3rd volume of the trades, but haven't read it yet.

I am really enjoying Unwritten, it's kind of ballsy. Anyone read this?

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Well since no one has read it, I am heartily recommending it. It's really good.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A mixed bag, but fun.

sk

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to get that just for that amazing cover.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    I was really hoping the Hellboy comics would be on the kindle but they're not. I got the 3rd volume of the trades, but haven't read it yet.

I have read a pretty good chunk of Unwritten. I need to get back to it soon. I really liked what I read, but other things grabbed my interest.

If I remember correctly, there was some discussion of it earlier in this thread. I may be misremembering, though.

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

looking into the gunslinger comics

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    I have read a pretty good chunk of Unwritten. I need to get back to it soon. I really liked what I read, but other things grabbed my interest.

If I remember correctly, there was some discussion of it earlier in this thread. I may be misremembering, though.
    Yeap, Unwritten is awesome. I've read up until Vol. 3 (I think they're at 5) and they've all been exceptionally entertaining. I got side tracked but I'll definitely be picking up the next two volumes soon.

Cool, Yea I was surprised how good it is.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I am reading "Road Rage" by Stephen King and Joe Hill. I am also reading " The Gunslinger- The Way Station" I am also reading "American Vampire."

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I am also reading "American Vampire."
    I recently read the first volume of that. I enjoyed it!

I took out a subscription for 'The Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection': nice hardback volumes comprising various Marvel story arcs, published by Hatchette Partworks. The first volume Coming Home was a decent Spidey story. I'd never read it before. The next two volumes (the third being free with the subscription offer) were X-Men: Dark Phoenix and Iron Man: Extremis. I'm reading through the former right now. I did get a volume of The Dark Phoenix from a library a few years ago, but the story seems more involved than I remember. I'm not sure if it's because I've forgotten most of it or if they're including other material. I'm finding it quite enjoyable although I find the style a bit dated. I have never read 'Extremis'.

I might cancel now as I've read the next volume, The Ultimates, and while I liked the art I wasn't too taken by the story-line. I disliked the new take on The Hulk (as a monster he's great but he's not the Hulk I remember. This one's basically a
    Spoiler:
    amoral randy man eater. Quite literally.
    ) and I'm not really fussed in getting them all just to build up that big picture with the spines. The subscription offer was too good to refuse for the first three volumes though- including freebies with none of the '6 months to year' minimum subscriptions these things usually have. 3 issues at a cut-down price (the third volume being free) was the only restriction for their special offer. Great deal. Even at full price, £9.99, that's not a bad deal for hardback comic collections. At least it's not in the UK where books tend to be expensive.

I haven't quite made my mind up yet though. I might give The Ultimates another chance as I can always sell it on if I dislike it.

On the DC front, I'm still trudging through some of the new 52. Action comics started good, but the last volume was a bit weak for me. Animal Man and Swamp Thing are still going strong. Great if you like some horror in your comics.
    Last edited by Brainslinger; 02-27-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: I got the publisher of the GN collections wrong. I think Panini did Marvel UK which might be where I got confused.

Country
    Country Flag

American Vampire is a good series. I've been reading it from the start.

Recently picked up Zenescopes Alice in wonderland series. I love the story that they came up for what wonderland is and how all the characters came to be in wonderland.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast