Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What is your favourite non-King book?

Gunslinger Apprentice Cuthbert Allbad is on a distinguished road Cuthbert Allbad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nyy3723a View Post
    Mine is still Robert McCammon's Swan Song. I picked the book up because I was a huge Led Zeppelin fan and fell in love with the story - the whole post-apocoliptic thing is my favorite type of story.
    Swan Song was a great book. Loved all of McCammons stuff. Was glad to see him reappear with Song Of The NIghtbird.

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not a single book, but my favourite series of books are Discworld by Terry Pratchett. IO could happily re-read all them everysay for the rest of eternity

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison.

Because it's the greatest English language novel of the 20th century, IMO.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What about Slaughterhouse-Five? A classic I've enjoyed reading multiple times as well as an amazing anti-war novel. And The Rum Diaries by Hunter S. Thompson.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeMP View Post
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

Yeah, the movie is brilliant. The book is better.
    oh sarajean is a huge fan of this book as well. I haven't read it yet but it is on my long long list of books to read.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a very long list of "To Read's" also. With about 20 recommendations being from sarajean.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The Princess Bride is fantastic. I just wish that Buttercup's Baby was fully written too

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert Allbad View Post
    Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin is a classic, too.
    I just looked this book up, and I think it sky-rocketed it's way to the top of my to-read list.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I would have to say Dune by Frank Herbert.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

Well, this isn't my favorite, but I like it a whole lot and it's a really an "under the radar" book. The Messiah of Morris Avenue. It's written by the guy who played Ian Faith in This is Spinal Tap.

"In the near future, Christianity has dominated everything, including politics, television, the internet, and even film. The leaders of the semi-theocracy include Reverend Jimmy, a televangelist who is the spiritual advisor to the President, and Pastor Bob, a laid-back reverend who is obsessed with golf and competes with Jimmy for spiritual dominance. Ironically, though Jimmy says he has spoken to God about almost everything, their teachings are the opposite of Jesus Christ's ideas of peace, love, and forgiveness towards everyone. Jimmy even claims on his program that bombing Europe will bring the Second Coming.

However, a jaded ex-reporter, Johnny Greco, bitter towards Jimmy, has already found it, in an Irish-Hispanic Catholic named Jay, who performs incredible miracles of healing sick people, preaches against what Christianity has become, and values peace, tolerance, and love for your fellow man. Dismissive at first, he soon begins to believe in what Jay is saying, and begins to think that Jay truly is "the real deal". Unfortunately for Jay, however, things happen as they did previously..."
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Gunslinger Apprentice Cuthbert Allbad is on a distinguished road Cuthbert Allbad's Avatar

Cannot wait for final Harry Potter book. Just sooo tired of all the hype. First it was the final episode of The Sopranos, now this.

You'd think that Jesus Christ was gonna appear on July 21st or something.
    Love the books but give me a break!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read the Darren Shan vampire saga? Its really good - a refreshing twist and really original take on vampire mythology, plus excellent characters and a gripping storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Has anyone read the Darren Shan vampire saga? Its really good - a refreshing twist and really original take on vampire mythology, plus excellent characters and a gripping storyline.
    Read 'em all. Was a little disappointed with the final book.
    I started reading Darren Shan's other series. Started with Lord Loss but didn't interest me enough to make me get the 2nd book.

My daughter is making me read Guardians Of Ga'hoole series by Kathren Lasky and all 3 Warrior series by ERin Hunter.

My son gave me Tuesdays With Morrie. My son didn't get the joke when i told him that Wednesday is Sunday with Tom Carvel.

Traveler Jake Chambers is on a distinguished road Jake Chambers's Avatar

Watchers by Dean Koontz....nuff said
    "Go then there are other worlds than these..."

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That damn dog was so smart

I do like a little Koontz, that's for sure.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Traveler Jake Chambers is on a distinguished road Jake Chambers's Avatar

Yeah.. Koontz is the man 2nd to King. lol

The Outsider was a beast
    "Go then there are other worlds than these..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Chambers View Post
    Yeah.. Koontz is the man 2nd to King. lol
    Haven't read Koontz in a long time. He's got so many books out that i cannot remember the one i read.

Used to always look for books by John Saul, too. Suffer The Children was the 1st one of his i read. It was a doozy.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Used to always look for books by John Saul, too. Suffer The Children was the 1st one of his i read. It was a doozy.
    I always buy his books in Charity shops and other second-hand book stores. Suffer The Children, his most famous one, is one of those I've been so far unable to find. He is not a great author, maybe not even a good one, but I love reading his stories, especially with kids involved. (Comes The Blind Fury, Nathaniel, All Fall Down, Second Child, Hellfire, etc)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

a scanner darkly by philip k dick (i still haven't seen the movie, and don't intend to anytime soon)

the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy by douglas adams

the harry potter books (especially prisoner of azkaban and the half blood prince)

the princess bride by william goldman

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeMP View Post
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

Yeah, the movie is brilliant. The book is better.
    oh sarajean is a huge fan of this book as well. I haven't read it yet but it is on my long long list of books to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I have a very long list of "To Read's" also. With about 20 recommendations being from sarajean.
    i just saw this. i read a lot, okay?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Read 'em all. Was a little disappointed with the final book.
    Any part in particular?
    I haven't read any of his other stuff, I was really only attracted to the series by the prospect of a good vampire story.

My son gave me Tuesdays With Morrie.
    I read his other book - The Five People You Meet In Heaven - but it was a little too twee for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I always buy his books in Charity shops and other second-hand book stores. Suffer The Children, his most famous one, is one of those I've been so far unable to find. He is not a great author, maybe not even a good one, but I love reading his stories, especially with kids involved. (Comes The Blind Fury, Nathaniel, All Fall Down, Second Child, Hellfire, etc)

The main reason i stopped reading him was that all his books seemed to involve children, a sleepy little town and a secret from the past. Got to be boring.

As for the Darren Shan Vampire books, i just remember being disappointed that there wasn't a more clear ending.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The main reason i stopped reading him was that all his books seemed to involve children, a sleepy little town and a secret from the past. Got to be boring.
    So, you never got to reading those of his books that don't involve children? Man, that's what is boring! I could hardly finish either of his kid-less novels I happened to buy in Paris last time. I assure you, comparing to those, his kid-involving ones are real mastepieces...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    So, you never got to reading those of his books that don't involve children? Man, that's what is boring! I could hardly finish either of his kid-less novels I happened to buy in Paris last time. I assure you, comparing to those, his kid-involving ones are real mastepieces...
    I don't know when i stopped. I remember reading everything up to The God Project.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I love everything J.D. Salinger.
    The Man in The High Castle, Ubik, Do Androids Drem of Electric Sheep?(the basis for Blade Runner), and VALIS by Philip K. Dick.
    Cormac McCarthy

Along the Path of the Beam glm is on a distinguished road

I don't know . . . The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty perhaps.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast