Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favourite non-King book?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What is your favourite non-King book?

A good book can tell a lot about life..
    and it can tell a lot about its readers.

So?
    What's your favourite non-King book?

Roland would have understood.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Dan Simmons
    Song of Kali

Just an unbelievable read.

Spoiler:
    The death of the baby shocked the shit out of me-it still hurts to think about it.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Dan Simmons
    Song of Kali

Just an unbelievable read.

Spoiler:
    The death of the baby shocked the shit out of me-it still hurts to think about it.
    An excellent book. Another good one of his is Carrion Comfort. There are two versions of it, a novella length one and a novel.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Shit, just one? That's too hard. I have one in each genre maybe!

But, well.....

Ender's Game. There you go, one book. It's a must read.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I've got the same problem, JB.

There's the Otherworld series, the Hound and the Falcon trilogy, the Hitchhiker's Guide books, Lord of the Rings, Far From The Madding Crowd, Scoop.... all sorts. I can't pick just one favorite book.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One book, that is tough, but if I have to pick just one, I guess it would be LOTR. An older Cousin got me to read that as a youngster, so it's special to me in that way.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    Shit, just one? That's too hard. I have one in each genre maybe!
    I have about one hundred. And I also have favorite writers like Dickens or McBaine or Wodehouse, whom you just can't break into separate novels (well, you can, but it would be an act of vandalism)

if we, for example, mean favorite novels, written in English, it could be

either Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
    or Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
    or The Ball and the Cross by G.K.Chesterton

or about a dozen others...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

mmmmm...

Major toughy, there are so many to choose from.....

Let me get back to you....
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Numenorean ManOfWesternesse is on a distinguished road ManOfWesternesse's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The question says only one - so- Lord of the Rings.

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Only one? I can't do that! Can I do top five? XD
    Because right now, I know that Number One would be The Chronicles of Narnia books, but I know I love more than just that on so many levels... Its not fair. XD
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

As with almost everyone else who has posted here, I find it difficult to pick just one favorite book. Here's a couple favorites.

Memory and Dream by Charles de Lint
    House of Stairs
    Choke
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay. You can pick more than one.

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome!

So, aside from Narnia, which I will love forever, I also love a lot of what I've read by Mercedes Lackey, though the Mage Wars series is the best (The Black, White, and Silver Gryphon books).
    I love The Secret Garden, and I adore all of Anne Rices' Vampire/Witch books.
    Also, to be fair, I absolutely adore the Tarot trilogy by Piers Anthony, and the Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman (which my cousins on-again, off-again boyfriend Ciaran got me into).
    And yeah. XD There we go, I got it all out.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Oh! Candice you just reminded me of how much I love The Secret Garden and The Little Princess. I used to read them over and over again when I was a little girl.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Country
    Country Flag

I do love Narnia and The Secret Garden, too.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Oh! Candice you just reminded me of how much I love The Secret Garden and The Little Princess. I used to read them over and over again when I was a little girl.
    I haven't read that one (The Little Princess), I probably should.
    Thats my nickname, actually, Little Princess. Jean gave it to me.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmmm

As a kid and an adult, I think I have read LOTR the most times and enjoy it the most of all.

As a kid, I loved the Outsiders by S.E. Hinton with Johnny and Pony Boy

Also, The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

For sentimental reasons.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

First to John Blaze: I loved Enders Game! How many of the series have you read? Have you read the shadow series too? I looooove Bean!

Wizardsrainbow: I read The Outsiders so many times, I could quote most of the book, once upon a time. Did you know S.E. Hinton was a woman?

Candace: I loved The Griffon books by Mercades Lackey.

As for me, I guess for an absoulte fav, it would have to be LOTR. They were my passion in high school.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    1. First to John Blaze: I loved Enders Game! How many of the series have you read? Have you read the shadow series too? I looooove Bean!

2. Wizardsrainbow: I read The Outsiders so many times, I could quote most of the book, once upon a time. Did you know S.E. Hinton was a woman?

3. Candace: I loved The Griffon books by Mercades Lackey.

4. As for me, I guess for an absoulte fav, it would have to be LOTR. They were my passion in high school.
    1. Actually, i have every single one of the ender and bean books. I even bought the "First Meetings" book, which has alot of the backstory one some major characters, a short story on ender and valentine after they left the colony world, and the original Novella Ender's Game. I love these books.

2. The Outsider's was one of my favorite books also, I even went to the extreme of calling myself a "Greaser" and hating soc's But, S.E. Hinton's other books, i didn't like so much.

3. I've never read the Griffon Books, Can. They do sound interesting though. Lately I've gotten into fantasy books. Have you ever read any of the Tamora Pierce books? My sister got me into those. All the Tortall books are pretty good. Tamora PIerce is an excellent writer, even though she writes mostly for adolescents, she doesn't read bad as Christopher Pike and other adolescent authors. She is a great writer. She has 4 different series I'd be sure you would enjoy, PM me and I'll give you the titles, if you are interested.

4. I didn't read LOTR until late in life, and didn't get so much into them. When I read the Eragon books, though, the difference in quality slapped me in the face. The LOTR books are much better. Eragon has an interesting storyline, if cliched, but the author and editors suck at telling it cleanly.

Well, other favorites.

Tolstoy's War and Peace
    Wouk's Winds of War
    Grisham's The Partner
    Jenning's Aztec
    Narnia Books
    Buck's The Good Earth.

there's more, but those are the cream of the crop, I think.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tough question so I'll list a few that I like.

Narnia
    Vampire Chronicles
    Necroscope series

My Mood
    Breezy

tell you guys what.

a while back, the vampire chronicles used to be my favorite books ever.\

i just dont feel them, anymore.

she killed me with Blood Canticle, in fact, I don't believe she wrote it, and if she did, she must be grieving for her husband in a bad way, taking drugs and shit, because the writing on that one was way different from the first 10. 11 and 12 were ok, but Blood Canticle? No. In fact, although I own them all, the only ones I read are 1-10. Even Vittorio is better than her last 3

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Well, at least she won't mess them up anymore. She only writes about the jesus now.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    tell you guys what.

a while back, the vampire chronicles used to be my favorite books ever.\

i just dont feel them, anymore.

she killed me with Blood Canticle, in fact, I don't believe she wrote it, and if she did, she must be grieving for her husband in a bad way, taking drugs and shit, because the writing on that one was way different from the first 10. 11 and 12 were ok, but Blood Canticle? No. In fact, although I own them all, the only ones I read are 1-10. Even Vittorio is better than her last 3
    You know JohnBlaze, I agree with that. The last few, Blood Canticle especially, were not that great. I thought she was going to go and cover more of the old vampires in her New Chronicles, instead she sidetracked and tried to combine the vampires and witches. Not a good idea in my opinion.
    Still though, I like them overall as a series.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast