Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: SK on video game violence

Along the Path of the Beam Vasagi is on a distinguished road Vasagi's Avatar

Default SK on video game violence

Article at EW.com where King talks about the Mass. video game violence bill.

Stephen King: Videogame Lunacy

Seriously ... SK for president.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

That was a good article. Read it over the weekend.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Great article, and I agree with him for the most part.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree with him. I'm really getting tired of this bubble-wrapping the world crap.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Traveler ves_ka_Gan is on a distinguished road ves_ka_Gan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Right, cause you can't baby everybody forever. That kind of coddling will lead to kids being carried through a world of bubble wrap, then be thrust out into the real world, where they'll fall apart at the first sign of trouble.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always felt that way and totally agree. Getting hurt feelings every now and then is a part of being human.

^in regards to everyone being so PC
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I'm offended
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

God of War and the 50 Cent game have nothing in common. Otherwise, he says true.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    God of War and the 50 Cent game have nothing in common...
    Those games were mentioned in the same sentence because they both have certain aspects about them that are controversial in the way the article is describing : 50 Cent because of the gang related violence and vulgarity, and God of War for its endless amount of bloodshed.

John F. Kennedy /k/ommando is on a distinguished road /k/ommando's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would rather have kids blowing pixels off each other than blowing bloody chunks off each other.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    God of War and the 50 Cent game have nothing in common...
    Those games were mentioned in the same sentence because they both have certain aspects about them that are controversial in the way the article is describing : 50 Cent because of the gang related violence and vulgarity, and God of War for its endless amount of bloodshed.

50 Cent has a videogame now?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

His game was about as short lived as his movie, thankfully. Fuck that guy.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    His game was about as short lived as his movie, thankfully. Fuck that guy.
    False, since the sequel is coming out.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good on him. Politicians who believe that violent video games create violent behaviour are lazy and stupid and probably shouldn't be in a position to fuckup any more legislation. Children tend to copy their adult role models, not images on a screen.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Funny you mention this, yesterday on he radio, they were lking on the radio about this, and tese guys who did a study proved that
    1. games don't case violence in kids
    2. kids who don't play VGs are more likely to be violent
    3. teen violence has dropped significantly in the last 30 yeas, as games became more popular.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

SK wasn't saying though "Theres nothing wrong with violent videogames", he was saying that they're a reflection of society, as opposed to them dictating behaviour.

The trouble with legislations of this kind are that, the powers that be seem to simply use vidoe games, rock music etc as scapegoats rather than looking at psychological predispositions or family dynamics. They want to the point the finger in a direction where theres room for them to remove the "cause" rather than having to say "we all need to take a good long look at ourselves, and its still going to be a long hard road even if we can do that honestly."

I thought it was a good article and it made a good point. As SK said, why worry about banning shoot em up video games, when it would seem people can obtain real guns just as easily.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Exactly...its not the cause, its the effect.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

This whole argument is SO reminiscent of the crusades against the horror comic books back in the '50s. A large number of publishers ended up going out of business because their opponents used almost exactly the same arguments you hear today regarding video games.

STUPIDITY!

John

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

so in 20 years, videogames will be as violent as they want, with little to no regulation. And govts. will find a new scapegoat when they finally run out of ways to chastise the gaming industry.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

You got it!!

John

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, what i'm reading here is, that people under 18 wont be able to buy 18 games? Isn't that what already happens? And, anyway, i just get my Mum to buy it for me.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower