Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Your First SK Book

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Sure Whatever View Post
    Its hilarious that the actor who played Randall Flagg is in Law and Order Criminal Intent as the captian for the first 5 season. We call him RF or Patch everytime hahahaha
    Do you know I never figured that out until I read it here. Then I could see it but he looked so different in the two roles! I thought he played the role well especially since it was TV and could have been a total cheese fest!!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

San Francisco De California, Cusco, Peru, Peru
    My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

He's a good actor
    Check out my website for all sorts of Crocheted Goods. Not your grandma's crochet http://www.etsy.com/shop/yeahsurewhatever and my FB Fan Page too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacifi...05080416199057

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

My first SK book was The Dead Zone. The movie was not terrible but nowhere near as good as the book. I thought it was interesting when they made a TV series out of it. It really veered from the book but was still interesting.

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember when I first heard about the tv show and found out Anthony Michael Hall was the main character! I havent read that book, but maybe I should...
    Check out my website for all sorts of Crocheted Goods. Not your grandma's crochet http://www.etsy.com/shop/yeahsurewhatever and my FB Fan Page too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacifi...05080416199057

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember when I first heard about the tv show and found out Anthony Michael Hall was the main character! I havent read that book, but maybe I should...
    It's a good story! Even now that it's been around so long, it's a good read.

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

About a year ago I read Needful Things for the first time and I thought it was a good book too even though its been around. I typically find that older books like movies arent very good and played out, but I quite liked NT

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

About a year ago I read Needful Things for the first time and I thought it was a good book too even though its been around. I typically find that older books like movies arent very good and played out, but I quite liked NT
    Well definitely they get "outdated"! I haven't read NT since it was originally released. Another one for the re-read list.

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

I've really wanting to re-read Little Sisters of Eluria (Is that how you spell it? hahahah), but I cant seem to find an e-copy of it and that book seems to have disappeared. What makes it worse is that both me and my husband have/had it

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I've really wanting to re-read Little Sisters of Eluria (Is that how you spell it? hahahah), but I cant seem to find an e-copy of it and that book seems to have disappeared. What makes it worse is that both me and my husband have/had it
    I have it in a copy of Everythings Eventual. If you want to pm me your address I will pack it up and send it to you.

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh thats so sweet of you! Let me search my ebooks first. Sometimes stuff gets named wrong!

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh thats so sweet of you! Let me search my ebooks first. Sometimes stuff gets named wrong!
    It's yours if you want it!!

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

THanks! I think I have it named something else because when I click on Little Sisters the story is Network Error and I'm sure thats not how the story goes

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

It is a short story and it's been a few months since I read it but I'm pretty sure there's a little more plot than that. LOL

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Stand was my first King book
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

my 1st "King" book? well that's easy. it was in (1990) & the REASON i remember the year was cause my brother put my name in the cover on the inside of the book & it's still there. i bought a used copy of "Salem's Lot" the paperback of it & it's a 1st printing! but it's not in very good condition actually. & what's funny is that i didn't get around to reading it until i was in high school! they had the the paperback of it, but the cover was

made into a hardback. if that makes no sense to you or anyone than let me explain it or try to a little better. my high school would have paperback book covers such as "Salem's Lot" for example keep the cover & my guess tape or glue it on a hard back book. even though if it had been bought in a store it would have been a paperback book. it didn't have the cover of the hardback well any edition of the hardback but the cover of the 1st edition paperback version with the black cover & the blood dripping from the mouth.

i hope that helps a little bit on my explanation. i read it than cause actually it was in better condition than MY paperback version of it! he he

John F. Kennedy brandnewfan is on a distinguished road

My first King book was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and I only read it because it was assigned reading for me in my high school psychology class (turns out the teacher was a huge SK fan). After that I went to Carrie, Salem's Lot and The Shining. That was in 1999 or 2000 so I've been reading ever since, although I haven't read as many of his books as I'd have like to.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

TGWLTG as assigned reading? That's cool.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

very

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

IT.

I was eleven, and not allowed to read it, so I snuck it out of my older sister's room, replaced it on her bookshelf with another book with a similar cover, and read it in four days that I had strep throat and had to stay home from school. Reading it at the same age as the Losers appear in 1958 added a touch of reality to it; I remember thinking at the time that King wrote eleven year olds very well. And now I have a habit of returning to read IT again whenever I'm sick.

Obviously, at eleven, there were lots of things I didn't understand, but I loved the flavor of the book. It was, by far, the most adult thing I'd ever read, and I don't mean that in terms of sex (although it certainly was). It was the scope of it, the number of different POV's, the large cast of characters and the horror of this haunted town, its kids, and this child killing monster. Basically, after reading IT, all juvenile fiction (esp. the Christopher PiIke/R.L. Stine books that were so popular at the time) lost its appeal for me. The only other King books that have fascinated me as much were The Stand and The Dark Tower series.

Along the Path of the Beam bettinas.ashes is on a distinguished road bettinas.ashes's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

As I recall it, Pet Sematary was the first book I read by Stephen King. It scared the crap out of me too, as I couldn't have been much more than 11 at the time. I have been hooked on SK ever since though, both scary and not so scary novels.
    Cam-a-cam-mal, Pria-toi, Gan delah

Traveler Weird Terror 72 is on a distinguished road Weird Terror 72's Avatar

My Mood
    Cold
    Country
    Country Flag

First was Christine and its still my favorite.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    well - you understand, of course, that most titles can't never be translated. For example, yesterday my students asked me how I would translate the name of that movie, Three to Tango; there's actually no way to do so, because one would need to have the "it takes two to tango" expression in the language the title is being translated into. There are several ways out: just to translate it dumbly word for word; find a similar expression and try to play on it; find an entirely new title, with or without a pun. Since 'Salem's Lot has two meanings, "Destiny of Jerusalem" and "a piece of land named after a farmer's pig", it is not translatable. In Russian, there's a "Destiny of Jerusalem" version, and a few others; the one we liked best contains the word (удел) that is very old, rarely used except in poetry, and, though directly translated as "destiny", has the same root as the word "piece of land" (надел, делянка) and generally conveys the idea of sharing (делить), which makes it most similar possible to the English word "lot".
    I enjoyed this post, Jean, being something of a word person, too. It also made me re-examine 'Salem's Lot as a title, which brought to mind a third meaning in English, that of a "lot" as a grouping of objects or people (and something that is no doubt very familiar to the collectors on here from its usage in auctions). In the case of the novel, a host of freshly-turned vampires!

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This is easy it was the Gunslinger and I was eleven or twelve years old. This was one of the few book on my aunts book case that she wouldn't allow me to borrow. So being a kid I couldn't wait to sneak this off the shelf and that's exactly what I did.

I remember when I read this book I was completely and utterly enthralled in the story and couldn't put it down. Even to this day that first reading was like walking into a completely new world and really opened my eyes to what story telling should be.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    well - you understand, of course, that most titles can't never be translated. For example, yesterday my students asked me how I would translate the name of that movie, Three to Tango; there's actually no way to do so, because one would need to have the "it takes two to tango" expression in the language the title is being translated into. There are several ways out: just to translate it dumbly word for word; find a similar expression and try to play on it; find an entirely new title, with or without a pun. Since 'Salem's Lot has two meanings, "Destiny of Jerusalem" and "a piece of land named after a farmer's pig", it is not translatable. In Russian, there's a "Destiny of Jerusalem" version, and a few others; the one we liked best contains the word (удел) that is very old, rarely used except in poetry, and, though directly translated as "destiny", has the same root as the word "piece of land" (надел, делянка) and generally conveys the idea of sharing (делить), which makes it most similar possible to the English word "lot".
    I enjoyed this post, Jean, being something of a word person, too. It also made me re-examine 'Salem's Lot as a title, which brought to mind a third meaning in English, that of a "lot" as a grouping of objects or people (and something that is no doubt very familiar to the collectors on here from its usage in auctions). In the case of the novel, a host of freshly-turned vampires!
    wow, this had totally escaped me! I felt there had to be something more to it...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast