Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Your First SK Book

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first King book was 'Salem's Lot.

I was a freshman in high school.

After that I was hooked.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no wonder

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice LemurJones is on a distinguished road

First exposure to King was the movie for IT. ... I was FOUR. And it TERRIFIED me in a way that still affects me.

First book, The Talisman. Followed quickly by Skeleton Crew and Insomnia... which, if I hadn't, you wouldn't see me here.
    "I just know that something good is going to happen."
    ~Utah Saints

John F. Kennedy Archangel(tjk) is on a distinguished road Archangel(tjk)'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default My first

My first book was the revised version of the Gunslinger, it intrigued me to see a cowboy like novel with Stephen Kings name on it.I was 17 years old. I bought it and was hooked every since. I read the rest of the series which at the time was only to book 4 and moved onto the Stand. Ah yeah good times.

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure that the first King book I read on my own was Cycle of the Werewolf. My mom had been reading King books since before I was born and I naturally just picked it up one day. I've been hooked ever since.

Traveler Duck is on a distinguished road Duck's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

First King book was Christine and that was me hooked. Next one after that was Thinner, because it was his new release at the time and the first of the Bachman books to feature King's name.

Traveler ayoung323 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, my first King book was Christine as well, and ever since then I've been addicted.

Gunslinger Apprentice ZGDK is on a distinguished road ZGDK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For me it was The Green Mile.

Along the Path of the Beam Hallvard is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

The Gunslinger! I was (and still am!) hooked. I'm on book 4 right now. Started a few months ago.

Along the Path of the Beam Zalia is on a distinguished road Zalia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't remember if my first was 'Salem's Lot or Tommyknockers. But, I do remember waking up in the middle of the night while reading 'Salem's Lot and seeing Barlow, well how I pictured Barlow, standing at the foot of my bed.

John F. Kennedy goncho is on a distinguished road goncho's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

my first SK book was The Shining (I bought it together with Carrie in one of those 2x1 sale, but TS i read first), I was a kid the and remember loving it all the way, I finished and started Carrie right away, and then I got completely hooked with Mr. King

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Stand (original version) in 1983...That's the short version. Long version follows......

I used to HATE reading. The only things I would read were things I had to read for school, and those I only read begrudgingly.

When I entered the 7th grade I had this awesome Literature teacher who assigned a lot of Edgar Allan Poe, Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, etc. I still didn't like reading enough to do it for pleasure, but I liked the teacher and wanted to make her happy. So I sucked up to her. The last day of 7th grade I asked her for some more current authors that I could try to read over my summer break. She gave me a list, and I nodded and smiled and said I would stop at the library on my way home.

I thought that was as far as it would go. I wasn't actually planning to look for stuff to read. I didn't really mean to actually read...not during my vacation from reading! But it must have been a boring summer, because before I knew it I was at the library. Stephen King's name was the only one I could remember from her list, and I picked the thickest one I could find, which was The Stand. (original version). This was in 1983, so at the time it didn't take me long to catch up with the rest of his stuff. After that I loved reading and to this day will read the cereal box if there's nothing else around.

So, I guess you could say that if it weren't for Stephen King I'd be one of those people who look at me and say, "How can you just read...isn't it boring?? Don't you fall asleep?? Yuck! Reading...I like TV!"

Donna

Along the Path of the Beam Matticus-Finch is on a distinguished road Matticus-Finch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Shining. Some of it was a little over my head at the time. But still scared the shit out of me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Cujo. I remember because everyone the movie was coming out, and there was a big buzz. It was one of my first "adult" books as I was 14.

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

I had, like so many others, seen IT on tv when i was young and several scenes of it had haunted my dreams for a long time (especially the drain scene). Anyway, one night 5 years ago, i happened to catch the first half of IT on sci-fi. i was entranced. i remembered that this movie had haunted me and i researched it a little on the internet to see if it would be on again and i found out that it was a book. i mentioned this book to my mom and it turned out that we had IT. i went into the crawl space, dug around and found the beat-up, hardcover first-ed book (along with the talisman, DT3, Regulators, Desperation, Bachman Books, The Stand, Gerald's Game, Christine, Rose Madder, and the Tommyknockers) I burned through IT, these others, got another hugfe load from my grandma's collection (Green Mile, TGWLTG, Bag of Bones, Hearts in Atlantis, and a few others). Than i started buying all the other ones that i didn't have. Since than i have accumulated all stephen king books, read every one, and currently have Elleanor druse andEllen rimbaur on order from ebay. along with that, sai king has also opened up new doors to me. from him i began to read more horror and sci-fi (also some westerns). than, to understand some of the classic referneces, i have traversed into Lit. i went from childrens fantasy like HP, to king, to dostoevsky.

Along the Path of the Beam Matticus-Finch is on a distinguished road Matticus-Finch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

whew...that sounds like a story in it's own right!

How are you liking the Dostoevsky?

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first book was IT. I had never read Stephen King before and I wanted to see how a book can be scary. I now understand horror, and thats its not in movies where the character looks up in a mirror and sees someone, its "Fear in a Handful of Dust" I love SK

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matticus-Finch View Post
    whew...that sounds like a story in it's own right!

How are you liking the Dostoevsky?
    i really enjoy him. i've read the brothers karamazov and i have crime and punishment and the idiot waiting in the ranks. right now i'm reading some other classics, but i plan to read crime and punishment before the summer ends

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Michael Jackson citiesburnred is on a distinguished road citiesburnred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first SK book was Eyes of the Dragon. I immensely enjoyed the fantasy work of a writer I had been led to expect as full-out horror

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yea thats what I thought SK all was. I had no idea he could do so much more

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My first one was Night Shift. I went to the supermarket and there were these books that cost 10FF at the time (I bought them before the euro started existing; I was 12 at the time) that is 1.50€ ($2.35) and I got #3 that contained only a few stories from Night shift, so I then bought the other ones and got the whole book after a while I loved it so I then tried Salem's Lot, which is still one of my favourites. And then I bought the other ones and read most of King's works before I turned 14.

Traveler Sai is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

It, in 6th grade. Loved it.

loyal follower of Tiamat kirin is on a distinguished road kirin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the first one i read was salems lot when i was 8 years old then i read carrie then i read other stuff for a bit came back to king again when i read the shining at age 12 and have continued to read at least one king book every other book ever since i love his style but sometimes if i read too many stephen king novels in a row i become depressed, paranoid and very edgy

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mine was 'Salem's Lot, too - just after it came out in paperback. It made me go back and read other SK and start buying the hardbacks when they came out. Then I decided I wanted hardbacks of the first ones, so I joined a book club and got BCEs. Down the road I decided it was time for first edition hardbacks which led to limited editions and signed books. (You see the pattern here, right? ) Then my boss turned me onto this new thing called eBay (I really really which I'd bought some stock with their IPO!!) and I met this guy named Hutch. The collecting picked up then!!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

i started with Pet Semetary too. I was very young and I stole it from my moms bookshelf and read it. I loved dogs and cats so I thought it was all about them....not in the way it turned out though haha!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast