Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Your First SK Book

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Gunslinger, but my first non-DT book was The Stand, which I read after I finished The Gunslinger.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Salem's Lot was the first, in 1993. Bought it on a whim, because I liked how the title sounded (translated to Russian). Since then it has been published under different titles here, but I still think that first translation of the title was the best.
    Very soon after it - Thinner (at the time I didn't know that Richard Bachman and SK were the same person).
    If you are going through hell - keep going

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    Salem's Lot was the first, in 1993. Bought it on a whim, because I liked how the title sounded (translated to Russian).
    was it "Судьба Иерусалима"?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first was Carrie in 1976. I was in the Air Force on a joint military exercise in Germany. I was in a tent just outside of Heidelberg Germany. There was over two feet of snow outside. What else were you gonna do?

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

The first SK I ever read was the Dead Zone. I was in my young teens ans borrowed it off my dad's bookshelf. Hooked since.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    Salem's Lot was the first, in 1993. Bought it on a whim, because I liked how the title sounded (translated to Russian).
    was it "Судьба Иерусалима"?
    Nope, "Салемов удел".
    I do not know what it is about this title variant, but it has been stuck in my mind for all these years. Perhaps it's the fact that not many people (professional translators included) would remember the word "удел" as a translation for "lot". It sounds much more poetic/literary than "жребий" or "судьба".
    And using the form "Салемов" to translate "Salem's" - somewhat unorthodox, too.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

also, удел is right because it of the double meaning of "lot"; not as directly as in English, but still passably good

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that, too.
    All in all, a memorable title.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean/Rain - is there anyway to explain to us non-Russian speaking people the differences in the titles. I am intrigued.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

well - you understand, of course, that most titles can't never be translated. For example, yesterday my students asked me how I would translate the name of that movie, Three to Tango; there's actually no way to do so, because one would need to have the "it takes two to tango" expression in the language the title is being translated into. There are several ways out: just to translate it dumbly word for word; find a similar expression and try to play on it; find an entirely new title, with or without a pun. Since 'Salem's Lot has two meanings, "Destiny of Jerusalem" and "a piece of land named after a farmer's pig", it is not translatable. In Russian, there's a "Destiny of Jerusalem" version, and a few others; the one we liked best contains the word (удел) that is very old, rarely used except in poetry, and, though directly translated as "destiny", has the same root as the word "piece of land" (надел, делянка) and generally conveys the idea of sharing (делить), which makes it most similar possible to the English word "lot".

Along the Path of the Beam lordmerchant is on a distinguished road

The first king novel I read was the Gunslinger in June of this year, I swa it on a friends bookshelf, thumbed through it and was awed by the artwork. I read the gunslinger in a few days and was very excited when I discoered there were another 6 books in the series. All of my freetime between June and August was spent reading the entire Dark Tower series, and I loved it from beginning to end. Since then I have read The Stand, (which I rate almost as highly as the tower itself) The Dead Zone, Insomnia and am a good third the way through the Talisman (which i am loving) so basically since June it has been a massive King-fest for me!
    Only equals speak the truth. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web or regard.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jean. I love words.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    well - you understand, of course, that most titles can't never be translated. For example, yesterday my students asked me how I would translate the name of that movie, Three to Tango; there's actually no way to do so, because one would need to have the "it takes two to tango" expression in the language the title is being translated into. There are several ways out: just to translate it dumbly word for word; find a similar expression and try to play on it; find an entirely new title, with or without a pun. Since 'Salem's Lot has two meanings, "Destiny of Jerusalem" and "a piece of land named after a farmer's pig", it is not translatable. In Russian, there's a "Destiny of Jerusalem" version, and a few others; the one we liked best contains the word (удел) that is very old, rarely used except in poetry, and, though directly translated as "destiny", has the same root as the word "piece of land" (надел, делянка) and generally conveys the idea of sharing (делить), which makes it most similar possible to the English word "lot".
    How interesting. I did not know this. I would have done the "dumb" thing word for word.........this is fascinating. Now I better understand how meaning gets "lost in translation".

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

First book i read was Gunslinger i'm pretty sure

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My first one was Cujo, when I was 12 (21 years ago).
    My mum actually gave it to me, as she was already a huge fan. I was hooked on King ever since, and usually would read a book after my mum had read it. She would then keep asking me if I had gotten to this section, or that part, which would encourage me to keep reading more and more.
    For some reason however she never got in to the Dark Tower series, so I am still trying to convince her it is some of King's best ever material.

John F. Kennedy Hammer is on a distinguished road Hammer's Avatar

Dead zone for me

Traveler anima13 is on a distinguished road anima13's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Carrie, during highschool.

Along the Path of the Beam keyframe is on a distinguished road keyframe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I got The Bachman Books from my school library in the 8th grade (1987) and didnt know it was King until much later. I remember telling my friends about Rage because i was surprised it was in the school library, granted this was years before real school shootings were a common occurrence.
    It was within a year or so after that i picked up Pet Sematary and havent looked back.

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

San Francisco De California, Cusco, Peru, Peru
    My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

My first SK book was Cujo or It and I was around 15. My husbands was Cujo at 12
    Check out my website for all sorts of Crocheted Goods. Not your grandma's crochet http://www.etsy.com/shop/yeahsurewhatever and my FB Fan Page too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacifi...05080416199057

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Sure Whatever View Post
    My first SK book was Cujo or It and I was around 15. My husbands was Cujo at 12
    Cujo was a good one! You are lucky, your husband reads SK. Mine does not believe in sci fi, horror or basically anything that cannot be repaired with duct tape (LOL). He is strictly westerns, wars, and documentaries which is OK but obviously we don't discuss books!!

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

He sounds like my first husband!
    Check out my website for all sorts of Crocheted Goods. Not your grandma's crochet http://www.etsy.com/shop/yeahsurewhatever and my FB Fan Page too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacifi...05080416199057

Along the Path of the Beam Rice Dancer is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cynical

I don't remember actually. It was probably The Stand or Tommyknockers or something from that time period.

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

The Stand was one of my favorite books!

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Sure Whatever View Post
    The Stand was one of my favorite books!
    Mine too. Still is. The miniseries was on TV again the other day. I think it is getting to be time for a re-read!!

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

Its hilarious that the actor who played Randall Flagg is in Law and Order Criminal Intent as the captian for the first 5 season. We call him RF or Patch everytime hahahaha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast