Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Banned demorgan is on a distinguished road

It seems that this week is the week for the assholes to come out of the dark on ebay...Im having a little of a pissing contest with a selller myself.
    the dumbass put a 20the century signed arc in a fucking flimsy shipping envelope..it came all dog earred up and bend up to page 133...sent the book back to him..i hope he does the honarble thing and give me a refund.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

David, the seller posted pictures that showed (at least in the 'From a Buick 8') faults.
    The description was faulty, but-more and more I see buyers upset over faults on a book that may have been overlooked, but certainly the price (s) were fair.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's have a discussion about how books are listed and described:

It's important to understand this is just an example so please don't attack this guy. I'm just using his live Ebay listing to compare his near fine Pristine comment to his pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-boo...item53e09af8fa

Read his description and look at the picture of the jacket. Would you consider it to be NEAR FINE (Near Pristine) dust jacket like the seller is saying?

Mulleins

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, I think I would define the dust jacket as near fine. It's certainly better than very good. The wear at the top and the minor dents at the bottom are what make the difference, to me, near fine rather than fine.

John

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looking at the description, I would have to say that the problem is probably lack of knowing how to catagorize the book via the "Mint/NM", "Fine/NF", and "Good" conditions. Everyone should understand the word "Poor" and sellers know that collectors don't want poor books. But beyond that what the regular person sees as Fine and what a collector sees as Fine are likely two different things. A small tear that has been repaired with tape is fine with most people who just want a copy of the story in a nice looking edition so the seller, who thinks the same way) says it's "Fine" not understanding that to hardcore collectors that means Pristine, as in no tears (even repaired ones), dents, dings, and even no creases in the dust jacket.

But in the comic world, "Fine" doesn't mean the same as "Mint". Or it didn't whe I was selling in the comic world. "Fine" was a step down from "Mint" and was the condition that most books on the shelf are considered to be in. "Mint" condition books had to be searched and scrounged for, even brand new on the shelf.

Either way, I think a lot of trouble comes from a misunderstanding/disagreement of the definitions of the condition descriptors. (I hope I used the right word there.)
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

According to the grading scale, wouldn't his jacket be considered Very Good and not near fine (pristine) as he claims?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes.

John

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed and this is a MAJOR seller with 2 large bookstores.

I guess a collector see's one thing and a seller see's something else. Even though he thinks he is giving lessons in buying.

Mulleins

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My 2 cents and random thoughts:

The above eBay seller's description of "new" vs. "as new" is complete bullshit.

I think as a buyer, if you are not satisfied with what you received for the price you paid, you are certainly entitled to a refund. However, I'm not a fan of the "I'll keep the books but give me some of my money back" approach. If I'm the seller in that case, I say "I'm sorry you are not satisified with the books; please send them back and I'll refund your money and return shipping."

If the seller did that, then he could turn around and re-sell to the $1,100 guy, right? Of course we all know that guy doesn't exist. The seller seems like a real weinerhead. I've had this seller's auctions on my watch list with a note to contemplate a bid or offer a time or two. I'm glad for the info here about this person.

Regarding "fine," "near fine," etc. I love the ones that say: "DJ with crease, minor soiling, and small tear; else fine." HAHA.

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

I am a Seller. As well as a Collector. As a collector I look for what interests me. And I can understand why some other Collectors may have issues with areas of a Book or DJ that might not be important to me. As a Seller I've been known to make a mistake from time to time too. Overlook a Bump, A Tear. Some Mark or Crease. It's a Bitch being an imperfekt person in an imperfekt world aint it? But I have a simple way of dealing with that. If a buyer is not happy with one of my Books, for any reason, They can return it and I'll refund their $$. Personally, I'd rather have Friends and Customers than the Rath of DT.Com...........
    I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

David,

I think I think her verbiage on 'as new' and 'new' is cow dung as well. If I had sent a book to a buyer, if it was my mistake on some part, I would have taken it back and given a full refund. If the issue is not my error, for example a buyer once asked to return a book because she has forgotten that she already owned it, the least I would have done is given the refund minus shipping on the return on the item.

However, not to seem to let the seller off the hook, if you decide to ship it back, you would still be out of a substantial shipping charge in getting a signature confirmation delivery to Canada. Which will not be compensated back to you. About $30-$50 I am guessing?. My 2 cents, if you are confident that you can sell them at Betts, list it at a suitable price for them with full description of the flaws. Someone else will be happy to own them at a discount, even knowing the flaws.

Regarding sellers, is there a thread on recommended seller?. I have a seller who is doing above and beyond in his dealing with me on a damaged shipment from UK that I am very impressed with and would like to recommend.

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Default now that I read the auction...I REALLY think he is out of line!

"A clean, bright, tight with NO previous owner's markings nor signs of previous use. Very clean inside and out. Tips and ends sharp. No dog ears, no smudges, no signs of handling"

He is outright lying now. Clearly you will get a refund from EBay if not from him. You have buyer's protection for items not as described.

A water ring from his stupid coffee mug or whatever is CLEARLY signs of previous use....clearly obvious previous owner's markings. He is being unscrupulous.

The cost of shipping it back is a pain.

I just went through this myself. The guy was rude to me and the item was not as described.

Just now I see he has relisted his auction after getting the book back from me!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Sig...item2c5358b1e6

Notice the word MINT in the freakin Auction title. The slipcase is bent and the book spine is bent where the slipcase is bent!! You can see it through the shrinkwrap. He tried to not refund me money and I had to speak with PayPal and EBay and they agreed finally and then I made the guy wait forever before shipping it back to him because he called me a cheat. hahaha! I told him the day I got it in a nice way that it wasn't MINT and that I would just like a refund and then he called me a cheat. That got me mad, so he got to wait forever for me to send it back (basically until the very last day I could send it back and then I called EBay and got an extension and made him wait even longer). Seems he didn't learn his lesson as there is the auction again with the words MINT. sigh.....

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

OK. Excellent points from all sides.

Let's continue with the next question using the SAME seller as mentioned above in post #53:

I receive a book I'm not happy with that cost $50 with shipping. The damage wasn't disclosed properly. I contact the seller and explain my disappointment. The seller tells me he will take the book and refund $45. He won't refund the $5 for shipping and won't refund the return shipping.

What is your thoughts on this? If the damage wasn't disclosed properly why should the buyer be out anything?

Again, I'm using the link in post #53 as if HE IS the same seller I was having problems with.

Mulleins

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    OK. Excellent points from all sides.

Let's continue with the next question using the SAME seller as mentioned above in post #53:

I receive a book I'm not happy with that cost $50 with shipping. The damage wasn't disclosed properly. I contact the seller and explain my disappointment. The seller tells me he will take the book and refund $45. He won't refund the $5 for shipping and won't refund the return shipping.

What is your thoughts on this? If the damage wasn't disclosed properly why should the buyer be out anything?

Again, I'm using the link in post #53 as if HE IS the same seller I was having problems with.

Mulleins
    You sly devil you.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    The seller tells me he will take the book and refund $45. He won't refund the $5 for shipping and won't refund the return shipping.

The buyer should not be out anything if there is a mistake in the listing. But if the buyer and seller disagree (i.e. seller says NF, buyer says F) then I am usually happy to pay return shipping. If you use media mail for the return it usually doesn't amount to that much.

Here is where I recommend paying for everything via credit card. PayPal defaults to your bank account for payment but I always make the switch to credit card payment.

I (like most of the people reading this forum) am pretty reasonable when it comes to working things out. I understand differences of opinion on grading, mailing delays for good reason, etc. But I can smell trouble pretty quickly....I've been on eBay for 12 years. At the first hint of a problem I notify my credit card's customer service, send the item back with delivery confirmation, and let the professionals handle it from there. They immediately apply a conditional credit to my card and I have never had a claim denied.

I use my credit card (through PayPal) for even very small purchases. I feel like this service is something I am paying for and I don't hesitate to use it when necessary.

Country
    Country Flag

Some gems from his feedback. Not a ton of negative, but still unimpressed positives:

"Book arrived ok...Pristine? There were a few flaws. It'll do, Thank you!"

"A more detailed description would have been helpful"

"ISSUED REFUND,BUYER NEVER RETURNED ITEM ,FICTIOUS CLAIMS,BUYER STOLE THIS ITEM" - from a seller

"Well packed, but from Hawaii? Thought book location was CA. Extra postage paid?"

"Books not as described. Slipcovers on two shoddy. Several books not fine."

"More wear to the dustjacket than stated, but otherwise good condition."

"Carefully wrapped delivery, but item was not perfect. Not exactly as described."

"Returned it em transaction mutuality canceled, thanks Russell for fast refund." - interesting that he used to take returns.

"volume 2 has a broken back clearly visible from the exterior."

"A disappointment.Spots on numerous pages;described as very clean.Overstated."

Surely all these ebay members were sued for slander.

All joking aside, a lot of these problems can be attributed to honest mistakes/omissions. With the volume he seems to be selling, thats not a huge percentage of buyers with issues. But as a seller you have to realize that mistakes happen and customers might not be happy, and you HAVE to give a refund in those cases.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Michael Autrey

A blast from the past:

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I STILL have bad memories of him. He tried to rip me off for more than $300 a number of years ago. Luckily, I contested the charge against my credit card and won. He kind of disappeared right after he ripped me off--no answer to calls, etc. I wonder if he's still around. If so, avoid him like the plague!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice disel24 is on a distinguished road disel24's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Autrey, I remember him, the Hullabaloo that followed him around. I think I remember that John. This was back when TDT.net was still around if I remember correctly

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Autrey is still around. He has been using the same eBay user ID for quite a while now. It is a1981a.

Here is a link to one of his current auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What's the deal with him?
    What happened?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I recently won an auction for a signed 1st edition of The Girl Who loved Tom Gordon. I have been looking for this for a while, as the copy I have was a signed 2nd edition.

I got it for $145.50 shipped from seller SIGNATURESINTIME, and sent him the following email after I won the auction and had sent payment....

Payment is sent.

Please ship in a sturdy well-packed cardboard box. Please pack tightly so book cannot move at all inside of box. Condition is VERY important to me. I do not mind waiting an extra day if that is what it takes to pack it properly.

Feedback will be left upon receipt.

Thanks again.

tippy4

It showed up today in a padded mailer and damaged (bumped corner).

Here is the follow up email I sent him...

Unbelieveable.

I give you specific (and completely reasonable) instructions on how to package my purchase, and you ignore them.

Not only that, but you do not bother to TELL me that you are going to ignore them.

If you had, I would have cancelled our transaction.

I told you "condition is VERY important to me. I do not mind waiting an extra day if that is what it takes to pack it properly."

I told you to ship it in a well-packed cardboard box, and instead you shipped my $145.50 purchase (an item YOU valued at $195 originally) in a cheap padded mailer.

As a resut, one of the corners got bumped in transit.

For less than 50 cents more, you could have shipped my purchase in a box, prevented my purchase from being damaged, and saved yourself the negative feedback I am planning on leaving for you.

As you are a collectable dealer, I am simply amazed by the lack of common sense displayed here.

tippy4

I am not even going to give the seller the chance to "make it right".

You can't fix stupid.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. Really no excuse for poor packaging.

Newby sellers can claim they didn't know better, and they probably don't - but any time spent on eBay will make most sellers with common sense WANT to pack things well in boxes.

Either way, with the message you sent, it should have been done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast